Requirements Versus Desires

Cruel Magic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IMPLIED UAL SCENES 

 

 

The next few days passed in what seemed a whirlwind. Jeonghan had taken to searching him out each morning and they would sepnd the day together, talking of things that Jisoo had never spoken out loud about, afraid of people's judgement and the way that his wishes would interfere with his birthright. Around Jeonghan, though, he felt as if he could be himself, no judgement or feeling like he had to keep things hidden. He wasn't used to such an emotional freedom, and it made him wary, but he couldn't seem to stop the connection. He couldn't make sense of it either, and that was frightening.

Jeonghan seemed to be affected as well, speaking of his life and sharing his griefs with Jisoo. He had seemed surprised at it but when Jisoo commented on their newfound ease with one another, Jeonghan had merely shrugged. "I suppose maybe it's fate," he said slyly, his eyes glancing over toward Jisoo but stopping short of meeting his gaze. 

It was nearly evening of the fourth day since the immortals had arrived, and the two of then had made their escape to the garden. A small smile played on Jeonghan's thin lips as the wind whipped at his long hair, their perch atop the garden wall a perfect place to speak without fear of eavesdroppers.

Or fear of being watched, the secluded garden a perfect hiding spot for their budding friendship. Or at least, Jisoo had considered it friendship, but when Jeonghan leaned closer to press his lips ever so slightly to Jisoo's own, the human hadn't pulled away at all. It felt... right. Electric. Like everything in the world had pointed to this moment, this place, with Jeonghan. His eyes closed of their own accord and he lifted his left hand to cup Jeonghan's cheek, drawing the immortal closer to him and deepening the kiss.

"I shouldn't be doing this," he whispered when Jeonghan pulled back for breath. It was true, he had so much on his shoulders, so much expected of him; he was betrothed, for Light's sake! But Jeonghan only laughed softly and shook his head.

"Then don't," he teased, before leaning back in for another kiss.

And Jisoo ignored his command and kissed him back, their lips melding together perfectly in the cool evening air. He knew it couldn't last, knew that Jeonghan would be staying behind at the Keep to investigate the happenings with the sheep while Jisoo went to the wedding with his family. And beyond that, he knew he would have to marry Namjoo, would have to move forward in the demands of his mortal life, knew that Jeonghan would far outlive him. This was the only time that this could happen, the only time that he could do what he wanted, and it couldn't last. 

But for this moment, it was perfect.

At dinner that evening he felt Namjoo's gaze on him, but when he finally looked up at her, he realized that she was, instead, focused on Jeonghan. Her large eyes were studying the immortal sitting beside Jisoo, his long fingers wrapped around his spoon as he took delicate sips of his soup. Jisoo felt something inside him go cold at her close inspection, and he suddenly wondered how much she knew. Or at least, how much she suspected... she couldn't know anything unless she had been in the garden, and there was no way she had been. He didn't even thnk she knew it existed, it would require her to be adventurous to find it at all. She wouldn't risk ruining her dress to find something so precious as the garden. 

He was so ficsued on watchingg her that he jumped in surprise when Jeonghan elbowed him none too gently in the side. "What?" he said, turning to the immortal, then realized belatedly that everyone was looking at him. "I'm sorry..." he began, unsure what he was apologizing for, and his father shook his head with a derisive snort.

"Jisoo, try to pay attention for once," he snapped, his temper drawn tighter than usual as he glared at his youngest child. "I was explaining to Honored Heechul of how I have requested for a Mage of the Tower to come and help investigate this... well. And that since we will be gone at your sister's wedding when the Mage arrives, you will be staying behind to handle things."

Jisoo felt numb for a long moment as he digested his father's words, then he shook his head and clarified. "So you want me to miss Seungah's wedding? My only sister, marrying an immortal I have never met. My sister, who I will never see again. You want me to stay behind?" He hadn't realized his voice was raising until he was standing on his feet, shouting at his father where he sat three seats away. "I am not something to simply be thrown away or left behind! You can't do thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter