Chapter 2

Cursed Star

After his mother's death, everybody noticed a change in the young boy's demeanor. He became quieter albeit being the kind hearted boy he was before. He danced less now, more focused on helping his father with the business and his music. Lord Cheng had decided after the death of his wife, to remain at home to watch over his son like he had promised, continuing his work from home.

However, it seemed that he had been struck with bad luck as his merchant ships were sunk in a freak storm. "Yixing." Yixing looked up from his writing at the sound of his name. They often spent their afternoons in the study, Lord Cheng doing and filing paperwork while Yixing worked on his music.

"Yes, papa." Yixing is worried by the crease in his father's brow. "Is there something bothering you?" Lord Cheng closed his eyes and pushed the telegram he had been reading towards his son.

Lord Zhang. Your ships have been lost in a storm.

"The men, father! Are they gone?" Yixing gasped. Lord Cheng nodded wearily and Yixing rose to stand at his father's side. "Would you mind Yixing, if I compensated the families of these men? It is a lot of money and it would mean letting go of a lot of our staff."

Yixing stared at his father, "Of course not. I can help with the chores. Minseok hyung had taught me things. Their families must be devastated papa, we should everything we can to help."

Lord Cheng smiled at his son's words. "You're just like your mother." He murmured, resting a hand on his son's shoulder.

"Kind and selfless."

Yixing flushed and ducked his head. "It's all that we can do papa. However, we must make sure that the staff we let go have jobs."

Lord Cheng swiftly arranged for gold to be taken to the families of the men who perished at sea and the staff he released were found well-paid employment, thanks to his connections. Yixing gave up his precious music to help do the laundry and feed the animals. He learned to cook and clean as well as any child born in a common background. But, it seemed that the bad luck would never stop coming because Lord Cheng soon received news that his caravans have been attacked by bandits; seven out of the ten had been looted and nearly all the men killed.

"Papa? Is there something wrong?" Yixing set the tea tray on the table and asked worriedly. His father had his head in his hands and seemed so terribly worried.

"The caravans my son. They are lost as well." Lord Cheng lifts his head to look at his son, his brow creased deeply with despair.

"What happened?" Yixing took a seat next to his father and started to massage his shoulders gently.

"Bandits on their way into town."

Yixing bit his lip. "How many lives Father?"

"Too many."

Yixing wrapped an arm around his father and hugged him tight.

"We must help their families. Are all of them lost?"

Lord Cheng shook his head, a little bit of hope flickering to life in his face.

"Not all. We still have three. The men are asking for me to return with them. Perhaps I can bring back the money we lost."

Yixing swallowed.

"You wish to go with them, papa?"

Lord Cheng took a glance at his son and pulled him close.

"I have a wanderer's soul my son. It's been too long. My name means journey you know. I want to but I promise to bring back something. Not much but a small token perhaps? What would you like? New dance shoes?"

Yixing lays his head on his father's shoulder. "I would wish that you wouldn't have to leave Father. But if it makes you happy. I have no need of new shoes but maybe bring home someone who can love both you and me for you have been lonely after Mother's passing."

Lord Cheng was startled by Yixing's request. He had been lonely but he had not expected Yixing to have noticed.

"Are you sure? I can bring you something as well."

Yixing pursed his lips and thought for a while.

"Bring me the first branch that brushes your head as you ride out because then you would have to carry the branch all the way and back so you can think of me every time you see it."

Lord Cheng laughed at the unusual request.

"I will if it pleases you so my son."

Yixing smiled and pressed a kiss on his father's forehead. "I will help you pack."

---------

A year later, while Yixing is hanging out the laundry, he heard the sound of coach wheels on the flagstones.

In a flash, he dropped his basket and ran for the courtyard. Sure enough, a majestic coach was just rolling to a stop. A footman hopped around to the side door and opened it, as Yixing resisted the urge to cry out for his father and stood as still as he can, body trembling with anticipation. It wasn’t long before Minseok appeared next to him, grumbling about him not completing his chores. Lord Cheng exited the coach with a smile directed at his son and then swiftly turned back to the vehicle. Yixing’scuriosity spiked.

"May I present to you, my lady, my only son Yixing." To Yixing's surprise and delight, a young woman steps from the carriage, clutching delicately onto Lord Cheng's hand. "Yixing, my son. This is Lady Fan Lei, your new mother."

Yixing smiled, dimpling at the lady as he lifted her outstretched hand to kiss it.

"Your son is very charming Cheng." The lady reciprocated the action, showing a row of pearly white teeth.

"Jesus! Chanyeol! Your legs are in the way! Get out! Bloody giant." There was a commotion coming from the coach and a young boy stepped out from the coach, looking significantly ruffled.

Yixing stared, unabashed.

The boy looked about his age with bleached blonde hair and was incredibly tall. His sharp, but dark, eyes flicked across the estate with a disdainful expression and when his eyes land on Yixing, his lips curl with contempt. There was yet more shuffling inside the coach and another boy stepped out from the coach, even taller than the one before. He had ginger hair that grew in tight curls and large ears, his eyes were far brighter than the other.

One looked cold and calculating, whereas the other appeared to be the complete opposite. Lord Cheng smiled awkwardly at Yixing and extended a hand towards the boys studying the estate. "Yixing, these are your stepbrothers, Zitao and Chanyeol."

Yixing was taken aback by the look of pure antipathy Zitao shot him. He steadied himself and offered his most sincere smile.

"I'm sure you guys must be tired, perhaps I can take your things and..."

A coat was thrown in his direction and Yixing barely caught it, sufficiently cutting him off. Lord Cheng can only shoot Yixing an apologetic look as he wrapped an arm around Lady Fan Lei.

"Come, let's go in. We are all tired by the journey. Minseok, will you make us tea?"

Minseok bows and hurried away to the kitchen, leaving Yixing to follow his father into the house. He hung Zitao's coat on the coat rack carefully and wandered to the kitchen to help Minseok bring tea to the table, even serving the newcomers with the servant. Lord Cheng smiled and gestured for his son to sit in the chair next to him as they eat, once they’re done.

"How was your journey, papa?" Yixing asked after the tea had been cleared away by Minseok.

"It was good and I have recovered as much of the stock as I could." Lord Cheng stood to help the coachmen bring in the trunks and he sets a heavy trunk at Yixing's feet. He motioned for Yixing to open it.

"Oh, papa." Yixing pulled the branch from the trunk, reminiscent of the times when his father would bring gifts in his younger years.

Laying within was white wood, strong and sturdy, just as it was when Yixing handed it over. "I kept it as best I could because I didn't know what you would want with it." Lord Cheng smiled at the contented look on his son's face.

Zitao rolled his eyes and declared loudly, "Chanyeol and I are tired. Where are our rooms?"

"I will take you to your room," Yixing set the branch back into the trunk and stood to show them the way.

"Room? As in the singular and not the plural? I will have to share with this great buffoon?" Zitao made a horrified sound at the mere notion of such a thing once Yixing nodded.

Yixing flushed "I... We haven't got an extra room."

"Boys, boys we mustn't be picky because it is a farmhouse after all."

Yixing's face went hot and he sneaked a glance at his father before he led the boys up to their room, both expressing equal worry. On the way to their destination, they pass a locked door

that stirred both of the stepbrothers’ curiosity. "I thought said you didn't have extra rooms?" Zitao smirked coldly at Yixing, his words acting as fingers to pluck at his nerves until they find the right one.

"We don't." Yixing tries to hurry them past the locked door but

Zitao walked to it and jiggled the handle. Each rattle shaking Yixing up a little more.

"Then what's this?"

"It...It's my mother's room."

"Your mother? The dead one right." Zitao smirked triumphantly when he saw the flash of pain across Yixing's face.

Nerve found and struck.

"Let's go. I'm sure you're tired after your journey." Yixing changed the subject abruptly, the topic of his mother's death was still too painful to bear.

"Oh no. I'm sorry. Perhaps it's a sensitive topic no? You poor thing." Zitao's voice was laced with sarcasm, the claws of it digging in deeper into his pain.

"Now, boys." Yixing froze when he heard his stepmother's voice behind him, saving him from Zitao’s talons.

"Your father would like to speak to you Yixing." Minseok spoke from behind Lady Fan Lei.

Yixing nodded in relief and made a quick escape to his father's chambers.

"Yixing, come in." Lord Cheng looked up from where he is arranging his papers to smile at his son and he walked right into his father's embrace. "How are you?" Yixing just buried his face into his father's chest in answer. "I missed you so much." He mumbled into his father's shirt, feeling like a child again.

"How do you like Lady Fan Lei? I should have sent a letter but I wanted to surprise you."

"She's fine." Yixing smiled, but the thought of anyone replacing his mother kept it from reaching his eyes. "She will never be a substitute for your mother." Lord Cheng seemed to have read Yixing's mind as he pulled him close.

"I know."

"I have to leave for the city in about a week. I trust that you will treat them well. my son."

Yixing laughed, something like happiness in his veins thanks to the reunion with his only blood relation. “Of course I will, father. They are family now."