Prologue

Cursed Star

The fairy floated into the room through the open window, fairy dust spilling off his wings as they furiously fluttered. Straight onto the floor Minseok had just cleaned. Minseok tutted as the fairy grew to full size beside the mistress’s bed. The lady opened her eyes to smile at the fairy but when she saw who it was, her smile slipped.

It was Baekhyun, the eccentric and slightly crazy fairy.

She managed to keep her smile on her face but it looked more like she was baring her teeth at the fairy instead of smiling. Baekhyun hopped over to the cradle and peeked inside curiously.

A pretty fresh faced baby peeped out at him and gurgled happily, waving its fists in Baekhyun’s face. Baekhyun leaned closer and the baby struck at his nose with his tiny fist. “His name is Yixing.” Minseok piped up as Baekhyun recoiled, grabbing where he was hit in pain.

He gathered the baby boy into his arms and laid him in Baekhyun’s. “Stay still won’t you?!” Baby Yixing gurgled and kicked at the blankets he was wrapped in, which made it difficult for Baekhyun to hold him. The fairy frowned at the baby and his face brightened.

“I know what I shall give him.” He tucked the blankets more tightly around the boy and waved a hand over him. I shall bestow upon him, the gift of obedience. From now on, he will obey every command given to him and you will have the most obedient little boy.” Fairy dust fell over the baby boy and tickled his nose, making him sneeze. He started to wail for his mother.

“Stop crying.”

Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile when the baby’s mouth closed and the wailing stopped immediately as if he had been gagged. He heard a gasp of horror come from the bed and frowning, he turned to the woman lying upon the bed. His voice came out low and threatening, a subtle warning to her, “It is a good present isn’t it?”

“Yes, yes. Of course! We thank you for your gift.” The mistress hurriedly reassured him, upper limbs outstretched. “May I have my baby back?”

Baekhyun ignored her and settled for petting the baby in his hold. The baby who blinked up at him with wide frightened eyes, mouth opening and closing but no sound came out. The fairy carefully tucked the blankets tightly around the baby and set him back into his cradle.

“Precious little thing. Well, I must be off now. Toodles.”

Baekhyun shrank and vanished out the window.

After he had vanished, the lady sprang out of her bed and pulled her baby into her arms. Baby Yixing stared up at her with no sound coming out of his mouth. Minseok recovered from his shock and released his grip on the broom, letting it fall onto the ground in favour of taking the baby from his mistress.

"No one must know." His mistress moved to grip his upper body tightly. "He will be in terrible danger if anyone finds out. Swear that you will never mention this, Minseok. Swear it."

Minseok cradled the baby close to him, a feeling of unease growing in the pit of his stomach.

---------

Yixing turned out to be able to speak after all, much to the relief of his ever worried mother. He grew up to be an obedient boy, just like Baekhyun had said but he was already good in a way that meant he never really needed the curse, as it was already in his nature to be kind and honest.