Chapter 11

Cursed Star

Yixing was dragged roughly into the dungeons without a chance to see Minseok or his stepbrother. The guards shackled his wrists together and bolted the iron doors of the cell. He slumped quietly into the corner of the dank room and stared at the silver ring on his finger. He wondered how much the prince must hate him now, with the guards not giving him a chance to explain. Nobody ever gave him the chance to explain. It had quite possibly been his only chance of having happiness but it was stolen away from him because of the stupid curse. He was too tired, too wrung out, to even cry and instead laid his head against the cold stone wall, resigned to his fate.

---------

 

Yifan turned the knife over and over in his hands, barely even seeing it through his tears. How could he have fallen so blindly for someone who had been tasked to kill him? Someone whose smile was more beautiful than a sky full of stars. The worse part was that he would forgive him a million times over if he came and begged for it. Yifan turned the knife again in his hand and in his haste, the knife slipped and sliced cleanly into his palm.

"Damnit!" The pain jerked him out of his misery and he swore loudly, staring at the crimson blood flowing out of the wound.

"Your Highness." Joonmyun appeared at his side, a white handkerchief held in his hands.

Yifan took the handkerchief and pressed it hard against the wound. His eyes didn’t leave the blood stained cloth as he whispered, "How is he?"

Joonmyun looked surprised.

"I haven't been to see him, Your Highness."

Yifan stared down at the hilt of the knife in his hands. A monogram stood out to him, he traced the raised emblem on the handle. It was a 'K', which made something click in his head. He rose to his feet quickly. "I want to see him, I need to see him."

 

---------

 

"Your Highness, you're not allowed, no one is allowed..." The man guarding the entry to the cells called out as he watched Yifan approach.

"I am the Prince and I wish to see him."

Yixing wearily lifted his head when he heard the commotion outside his cell. To his utter surprise, he saw the prince standing at the door of the dungeon with his advisor at his side. He glanced at the silver ring on his finger and figured that the prince must be there for it. It was the only plausible reason he could think of. When the guard finally decided that it was not worth his fight, he stepped aside to allow the prince entrance. Yixing sat up slightly, eyes drifting over the prince’s appearance. He looked terrible with his eyes red and swollen and his hair all mussed up, as if his hands had run through it a hundred times.

Had he been crying? Yixing wondered idly to himself, ignoring the stab of pain at the thought because he caused that. Him and his greatest weakness. The prince crouched in front of his cell, pained eyes searching his.

"Tell me you didn't want to do it. Tell me that you’ll love me." Yifan whispered, staring at the one he was sure was the love of his life.

Yixing stared back at him. "I didn't. Someone wanted me to."

He froze, Did that just come out of my mouth?

He sat up, more alert than ever. "There was a man. This morning. He came to my room and told me that I had to put on this suit and that there was a knife inside. He wanted me to kill you." He gushed, feeling freer than he ever felt.

"Why couldn't you say no?" Yifan frowned, settling down on the dirty prison floor, Joonmyun at his side after following the royal through the palace.

"I... I was cursed when I was a child. With obedience. I had to obey him, I couldn’t stop it aft first. But, it's broken now. I broke it." At those words, a proud smile spread over his face.

He was free. For a few moments at least.

"He's telling the truth milord." Joonmyun spoke up from his place beside Yifan. They both stare at him in surprise. "I was there outside the door listening in. The man he's talking about is my father." He looked ashamed and embarrassed.

Yifan pulled the knife out of his pocket and showed it to him. "That explains the 'K'."

Joonmyun stared at the knife and smiled slowly. "We can testify against him."

Yixing had his face pressed against the bars of the cell, watching them both. "How did you know it wasn't me?" He queried curiously. Yifan only grinned and pulled a locket out from under his shirt. Yixing just stared. "You have my locket!"

"I was planning to return it tonight." He turned the locket in his hands. "You see, there's a 'Z' engraved on this and the pictures inside are of, what I am assuming to be, your parents. I forgot about it until I saw the monogram on the knife." Yifan rested a finger against Yixing's cheek and pet him gently through the metal, making the imprisoned man lean into the small affectionate action. "We have to go but I will send your brother down to see you. I will get you out, don't worry." He rose to his feet and slid the knife into his jacket. "I'll need your locket for a little longer but I promise I will return it." He smiled and Yixing smiled back, both enamored by the other.

 

---------

 

"You must be careful. If I know my father, because his first attempt failed, I'm sure he will try again." Joonmyun warned as he walked the prince back to the ballroom.

Yifan nodded and smiled gratefully at his advisor. "I know this must be hard for you."

"I never expected my father to go this far." Joonmyun hanged his head.

Yifan wrapped an arm around his advisor and laughed, "I have never doubted you Joonmyun and after this is over, I don't think I ever will."

"Behave yourself. You still have the ball to attend to." Joonmyun smiled and gently pried the prince off him, rolling his eyes at Yifan’s actions.

 

A/N:

btw I am looking for someone to beta a secret project of mine. English does not have to be your first language but i would hire two if English is not your first language so that I have someone I can bounce  ideas off the person. Please let me know if you are interested and we can figure out a communication method. :)