SIX

Bitter Memory Lane

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNgyx9uuO_E_skqIaZKzk  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34

Chapter 006

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

✥ The silence between the two lads were disturb by the ringing of Sungyeol’s handphone, while the younger dig his pockets for it, Kyujong didn’t think of who it could have been until Sungyeol answer the call and hands the device to him, “It’s Hyungjun, Kyujong,”

With the realization that Hyungjun is still stuck at his hotel, taking care of his business for him, Kyujong takes the call calmly, “Why did you call Sungyeol’s phone?”

“Why? Did I have any other choice when you’re not picking up any of my calls?”

“Why did you call? Did something happen?”

“Yeah something did happen,” Hyungjun sounded upset, something unusual from him, “here I was, enjoying the company of my business partners when I get a call from Junghwa that Youngsaeng has awoken and forgotten?” Of course Hyungjun was the first person Junghwa would reach out to, they have known one another longer than he has known Kyujong and Youngsaeng. “Mind telling me why you refuse to help Youngsaeng?” It was also typical of Junghwa to spill everything out to the tactical, inflexible Hyungjun.

“I have my reasons,” Kyujong says, hoping Hyungjun would buy it but Kyujong was disappointed instead.

“Is it because you still harbor feelings for him? Is that it?” Kyujong was caught, once again by the same friend, “If that’s the only thing keeping you from helping Youngsaeng, your friend, then isn’t it a bit sad?”

Kyujong slowly realized that Sungyeol has been eavesdropping on the conversation hence cut the call short, “I’ll call you again later Hyungjun,” with that he hung up quickly. Sungyeol straighten himself as Kyujong hand him back his electronic device.

“What did Hyungjun say?” Was Sungyeol’s first question.

Kyujong hated it, Hyungjun was always the right person to make someone feel bad and guilty. “Sungyeol, find an empty room on the VIP floor at the hotel,”

“Why? Have you decided to move out from your small closet and sleep in a proper bed now?” Sungyeol asked before anything else. But Kyujong quickly proved his thoughts wrong.

“It’s for Youngsaeng,”

Sungyeol’s lips dropped a little as he eyed his boss like a hawk, “Youngsaeng? You mean you’re taking him to Incheon with us?” Kyujong hummed calmly before getting out of his car. Sungyeol struggled to open the door quickly as he followed the lad into the hospital.

After finding Junghwa out in the lobby, Kyujong insisted that she tag along with him to the doctor’s office. Inside the room Sungyeol kept a close watch on Junghwa, recognizing her from the earlier incident. Meanwhile, Junghwa listened closely to what Kyujong and the doctor was discussing.

“You wish to discharged Heo Youngsaeng?” the elderly questioned.

“Yes, since Youngsaeng can only remember me and I can’t stay in Seoul, I was wondering if there could be any problems if he gets discharge early?” Kyujong explained, earning a heavy sigh from the latter.

“Because of his current condition, Patient Heo Youngsaeng is in a stable state but, because of his yearly coma and unconsciousness his recovery course will be slower than the normal of one to a few month only. Patient Youngsaeng will need the support and the correct methods to help him fully recover. Also, you did noticed that he is suffering from certain memory losses, we also have to keep him here and make certain that his memories are not deteriorating in any case,” the elder explained slowly for the three to understand.

“Are you saying he has to be hospitalized for some more time?” Kyujong asked.

The elder nodded with no hesitation, “We’ll need to keep a record of his memories and again make sure that he won’t suffer with any physical or mental impairments as well as disabilities. Patients who has slept as long as Youngsaeng do tend to get worse in all scenarios, it will be difficult for him to leave the hospital without the necessary recovery objects to help him cope. In the worst case he may become disabled and even loses all of his memories and knowledge,”

The doctor’s words still lingered in Kyujong’s head as the three stood outside Youngsaeng’s room.  “Go,” Junghwa said in the midst of silence, capturing both Kyujong and Sungyeol’s attention, “you’re worried about the hotel right? Go, I’ll stay until Youngsaeng is strong enough to be discharged, then I will send him to you,” unlike before, her tone held softness and kindness. “I’ll take good care of Youngsaeng for now and about what you said earlier, I’ll spend this time with him. If he still can’t remember me then I will send him to you,”

Guilt made him wanted to decline her idea but he knew full well that it wasn’t a wrong idea. After all Youngsaeng is married to Junghwa and she was no stranger. For the first time, Kyujong realized that Junghwa may have been just as heartbroken when her own husband did not recognize her. It then reminded him of his aunt and uncle back at home, where their drama always surround his hotel and they’d come to him for favors, but without thinking about their feelings, he’d brush off their relationship as a broken one that could easily be fixed with a divorce. He then realized that it was his aunt’s love for his uncle that kept her clinging onto him. That was love and Kyujong never knew what it was like to be in a romantic relationship, since he spent his teenage days liking only Youngsaeng.

“No,” Kyujong said, plastering blank and confusion onto the faces of Sungyeol and Junghwa. “If he doesn’t remember then I’ll come get him, but if he does, please don’t contact me and just live quietly with him.”

“Kyujong,” Junghwa was about to cut in when she got mixed feelings about his response.

“If Youngsaeng doesn’t remember then I will help him remember. But if he remembers then there’s no need for me to come back and for us to meet again,”

Junghwa let out a low, disappointed sigh before she nodded, “I don’t know why you’re so keen on cutting ties with him, but I got it. I’ll contact you if he can’t remember,” with that said, Junghwa made her way into Youngsaeng’s room alone.

Sungyeol growled a little after Junghwa was fully in the room, in order to avoid surprising her with his sound, “President, aren’t you being too harsh? I remembered during our university days you’d always talk about Youngsaeng your closest friend, but why did you tell the lady not to contact you regardless?”

Kyujong didn’t answer and instead turned away from the room, but before he could take one step away from the door, he saw a familiar man across the hall.

It was Hyungjun.

“Hyungjun?” Kyujong whispered to himself as the lad approached. Once Hyungjun was closed enough, he heaved a heavy sigh before Kyujong.

“Hyungjun? When did you get here, weren’t you just on the phone about an hour ago?” Sungyeol stuttered as if he had seen a ghost.

“As the financial provider and a friend of Youngsaeng, it was my duty to stop by and check on him.” Hyungjun replied, leaving Sungyeol nodding, then he diverted his attention toward Kyujong. “Before you asked about your hotel, don’t worry about it. I left one of my most trust assistant in charge, one you also know. I had to come because I was curious what you’re planning to do now,”

“So, you came to make sure I stay with Youngsaeng?” Kyujong asked, though he could already guessed that was the very reason.

“Right now Youngsaeng needs you, his friend, more than anything. If what I heard is true then that means Youngsaeng possibly can’t even remember me. Also, you know Youngsaeng is an orphan without any relatives and friends as you were the only one from high school.”

“So what are you saying?”

“Consider staying until Youngsaeng gets discharged.”

“I’ve already decided to go back home, if Youngsaeng still cannot remember then you and Junghwa can send him to me—”

“What is it that you’re afraid of Kyujong? That you can’t even stay in Seoul for at least a month to see how he does? Does it scare you that you’re the only one he can remember? Or does it burdens you?”

Kyujong unknowingly snapped and cut off his friend, “It’s burdensome! You’re right! I’ve already felt bad and regretful for not knowing about his coma, then all of a sudden he cannot remember anyone else around him but me!” Kyujong stopped himself from becoming anymore explosive, “P-please don’t say anymore Hyungjun. I’m already troubled as it is,” without another word he hurried passed his friend.

“What was that? I’ve never seen him so angry and...disturbed,” Sungyeol commented only for Hyungjun to hear. The newcomer could only sigh in defeat as he make his way into Youngsaeng’s room.

Kyujong hurried into the driver’s seat of his car and slammed the door shut, meanwhile  he was panting and his chest rise and fell rapidly. Forming sweat was visible on his forehead and his eyes became red.

“Give my bag back to me!”

“What are you guys doing?”

“Hey Heo Youngsaeng, do you know this kid Kim Kyujun or Kyujong whatever? Well he likes you!”

“S-stop it!”

“He got some pictures and a book with your name on it in his bag!”

Kyujong slammed his fist onto the steering wheel as past memories flood his vision.

“Is it true? Do you like me?”

“I….I….I do…,”

Tears of frustration steamed down Kyujong’s face as he gripped onto the object before him. His fist turned white from squeezing too hard.

“Kim Kyujong! Ignore them, want to go karaokeing together again?”

A desperate cry escape Kyujong’s mouth and for the first and in a long time he felt pain, like pins and needles jabbing his heart. It hurt him to know that Youngsaeng has forgotten.

“Hey Kim Kyujong, let’s be friends,”...“It’s nice! Your flintknapping has improved, now you can even make round objects! What did you use for the colors?”... “Kyujong, I’m getting marry.”

Kyujong pulled his head back and rested it against the head supporter, allowing the flowing tears to slide down his jaw and onto his exposed neck line. When the pain had finally died down, thirty minutes later, Kyujong breathed softly as he intake the fresh air. It was the first time in two years that he has felt so relieved.

After two years Kyujong was finally in the presence of Youngsaeng again. Kyujong then opened his closed eyes and locked it toward the window of Youngsaeng’s room, “I hope you’ll never remember,”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpgwUbtUSFiq2Ggryn9qT

credit