TWO

Bitter Memory Lane

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNgyx9uuO_E_skqIaZKzk  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34

Chapter 002

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

 In the red carpeted dining room located in the west wing of the hotel’s first floor, Kyujong invited Hyungjun over for coffee. Hyungjun is a businessman therefore was wearing a black suit. They weren’t alone in the large room that could dine up to fifty citizens. It was also pack due to it being lunch time. As they sat across from another, sipping on their Americano, Kyujong is the first to start a conversation. “So, what brings you to Incheon? Business trip?”

The manly Hyungjun avoid answering and change the topic instead, “I see you’re still a sweetheart when it comes to customer service, Kyujong.”

“Whatever,” Kyujong replied with a scoffy grin.

Hyungjun set his glass cup down and relax in his chair, leaning backward with legs crossed, “I saw Sungyeol earlier, I’m surprised he still follows you around.”

“Why?”

Hyungjun hid his smile, “You’re complicated to work with. I actually feel bad for him and your employees for having to put up with you.”

Kyujong any traces of coffee on his lips before answering, “I have nearly one hundred employees, you think they only work for me because of money? I can tell when a person likes or dislikes me, Hyungjun,” the lad says, dismissing any teasing his friend may attempt to try again.

The man in the suit readjust himself in the chair before humming, “Really? Then what about Youngsaeng?”

The name ring in Kyujong’s eardrum and cause his heartbeat to pace faster than normal. The cheeriness in his expression were drained instantly as he set his cup down and drew a heavy breath. He then lean back in his chair to face the serious Hyungjun. “Didn’t I tell you not to bring him up—?”

“I wasn’t going to say it because I know how you feel towards him. But you’ve dragged this long enough. The three of us has known one another for eight years but you two have been friends for ten. You should find some time to visit him in Seoul and put your skills to use.” Hyungjun states. Kyujong didn’t dare to look his friend in the eyes thus was looking off to the side of the table before he heard the end of Hyungjun’s advice. “Do you even know about what happen to Youngsaeng a year ago?”

Kyujong heft a heavy sigh, “Hyungjun, please don’t talk about him to me—”

“Did you even know about Youngsaeng’s accident?!” Hyungjun raise his voice the last moment, startling people around them. Kyujong burrow his brows, uncertain of Hyungjun’s words.

“Accident?”

“He’s alive if you’re wondering,” Hyungjun says with a hint of anger in his voice. “anyway, I’m going to my room….I’m a bit tired from work.” The man excused himself as he leave the table without another word. Kyujong’s mind and heart couldn’t find a balance after being informed of the ‘news’. An accident? Kyujong was completely clueless to any news of his former best friend, Heo Youngsaeng.

At the table Kyujong gripped onto the metal spoon in his hand. He wanted to swear at Hyungjun for showing up announce and then bringing up an individual Kyujong has been wanting to forget. Or rather, not be reminded of the bitter memories he had of that independent. After some time as the room was starting to clear out, Sungyeol makes an entrance. “President? Ms. Jung is awake and she’s looking for you.”

Kyujong thought he could escape thinking of Youngsaeng if Ms. Jung nags him, but he couldn’t be more wrong. Despite the lady’s complaints, Kyujong was drowned with images of Youngsaeng. “Kyujong, did you hear me?” Her smacking his hand brought him back to reality. With Ms. Jung’s legs still tuck under the blanket and she was in a sitting position, Kyujong was seated on the side of the bed near her waist. She had one hand over his on the bed.

“Y-yes?”

“I said ban your uncle from coming here, how can you keep letting him in when you see that he’s just bringing in all of these young women who can be his daughters?” Ms. Jung asks with irritation. Kyujong smiled briefly.

“You know I can’t do anything in my power to stop uncle from coming here.”

“Owf, because he is your blood uncle that’s why I’m telling you to ban him. If you weren’t his blood then I wouldn’t bother you at all.” She scowls before retrieving her hand.

“That’s why I said let him be. Didn’t you two already divorce last week? Since you’re divorced, show him and live happily, I’m sure uncle will regret it.” Kyujong suggests but the lady shifted her body and turn away from him with multiple scoffy sighs.

“Forget it. Get out, I’m going to sleep some more. Your uncle is probably using the house with another young cheap wench.” She says, sounding like a jealous teen. Kyujong didn’t argue and pull the sheets over her shoulder as he stood.

“I’ll bring you something delicious later. Sleep tight.” He ran a hand through her rough hair before leaving the room. In his absence, she grip the blanket close to and let out a low cry.

“You horrible old man,” she curse.

Kyujong stands outside the closed door and is about to turn when he spot someone near the end of the hall. “President, the meeting has been rescheduled to tomorrow at nine in the morning….” Kyujong nods as he understood, then he heads toward Sungyeol who waited for him with both hands in front. “And Mr. Jung called, he asked you to take care of Ms. Jung.” Kyujong stop in his tracks to hear the youth’s words.

“I know,” he answers, “anything else I need to know before resting?”

“Um, yes, tomorrow there will be a small welcoming party. Hyungjun reserved the east wing for the event from ten in the morning to three in the afternoon. So I wanted to ask if we’ll be providing extra parking spaces.”

“Open the underground parking.”

“Fees?”

“Free of charges.”

“Okay, and there are two more things, uh besides the event, Hyungjun requested that you’re present. And another is, what was it…? Oh right, I left your book on your desk.”

“Good work.” Kyujong compliments as he gently touch Sungyeol’s arm to give him some strength.

“Thank you President! Please rest, tomorrow will be a busy day!” Sungyeol beam brightly. Kyujong took his leave and heads for the sixth floor—one floor above.

In the empty VIP section part of the hotel, Hyungjun finds his way to his office which was set in the room across from the L shaped hallway. Inside, he finds himself greeted by cold air, and automatic lighting, that was carving for human’s presence. With a separate bathroom and lounging room, as well as a single bed in a smaller storage room, Kyujong had all that he needed in the room.

Sitting in the middle of the room was a single furry brown carpet with nothing else. Then in front of him is his large marble black desk with a computer and stacks of paperwork. To his right—between brown columns—as he enters was the lounging room, with two three-seats leather black couch, a single black couch, and coffee table in the center. In the same room was a television, hanging against the wall. To his left was the bathroom and the smaller storage room with a single bed and shelves.

Kyujong heads over and took a seat at his desk. While scanning its surface for the book, he spots the green cover on top of the workload. As he reaches for it and successful grip it, he places it before him and open it to the few last pages. He came to a stop when he had found the photo which has made a living in the yellowish brown pages.

He grabs the picture and held it up to eyes-view. The photo was the last Kyujong, Hyungjun, and Youngsaeng had taken together in their third year of universities. In the image, Youngsaeng was between Hyungjun and Kyujong, and Kyujong had a hand prop on Youngsaeng’s shoulder. After looking at the image, Kyujong could still feel it when he touched the shorter’s broad shoulder. To everyone it was a friendly thing to do among friends, but for Kyujong, he had to debate whether or not to touch his friend’s shoulder multiple times before the picture was taken. The memories of that day transitioned into the last memory Kyujong had with Youngsaeng alone.

✥ It was during the 2013 Seoul Souvenir Contest Festival and on the promised day—third day—winners that participated were going to be announced. It was a very sunny day as the festival proceed in the large public park, with thousands of people gathered around. Kyujong was in the front line, waiting for the results as it was all that he cared about that day. During the particular hour Youngsaeng and Hyungjun couldn’t join him at the park. “Here are the three top winners from 2013 Seoul Souvenir Contest! Remember, if you’re one of the winners then please stick around for about an hour so we can sign you and recommend you to big companies! Some important folks are coming in as well! They will help you expand your skills!”

Kyujong didn’t wait around after the completion of the announcement. Instead he was sitting alone in his black vehicle, waiting in the parking lot underground. His eyes sparkled as he watch the swinging of the pendant he had created. He couldn’t wait to announce the happy news to his best friend, Youngsaeng. Sooner or later the passenger door open and income Youngsaeng, sitting right beside Kyujong. “You won didn’t you?” Were Youngsaeng’s first words, as if he was a fortune teller.

Kyujong nods earnestly, “First place! You said you wanted to see it right?”

“You brought it?!” Youngsaeng question in a high husky voice.

“Yeah, here,” the victorious hand over the silver chain with the globe pendant. His friend took it and an awe of amazement was both visible and audible.

“It’s nice! Your flintknapping has improved, now you can even make round objects! What did you use for the colors?”

“Acrylic paint.” Kyujong answer, he watches with a wide smile as Youngsaeng continue to play with the accessory.

“Are you going to keep this?” Youngsaeng asks, Kyujong reaches over to take it from his friend. He kept his wide smile as his companion’s eyes follow him.

“I’m going to give it to someone,” Kyujong says as he look at it some more by the steering wheel.

“Someone you like?” Youngsaeng playfully tease. In reaction to Youngsaeng, Kyujong shrugs.

“There is someone like that,” he blushes a little as he admits to it.

“Oh who is it? Is she pretty?”

Kyujong didn’t dare to make eye contact but hum, “That someone is, pretty.” Inside the warm car, the silence suddenly kicks in to prepare the two men for what’s next.

“Kyujong,” Youngsaeng pronounce slowly and with no traces of gleefulness. “I’m getting marry.”

As if the globe around the chains gained weight and fell out of Kyujong’s hands. With a thumping heart, Kyujong quickly snatch the chain back into his hand after it barely escape his lap. “O-oh r-really? Is it with Junghwa…?” Kyujong asks, trying to keep the mood up.

“Yeah….” Youngsaeng answers with a dark expression.

“O-oh congratulations….But why do you sound so down…?”

Youngsaeng sighs, “Didn’t you like Junghwa too? I wanted to tell you but I was afraid you’ll get hurt….Is it okay, if I marry her?”

Kyujong’s hands were trembling as he tries to hide them under the wheel. “No, she’s not the one I like….It’s someone else….Besides, why would you ask for my permission….If you both like each other than what can I say….” Kyujong trail off, his smile fades as every second passes by.

“Really? It wasn’t Junghwa?” Youngsaeng asks, louder than before.

Kyujong avoids the awkwardness by playfully pushing his friend, “Eh come on, what gave you the idea? Why would I like her when I know how much you love her….I wouldn’t be much of a friend if I like her….” With his points, Youngsaeng nods in agreement.

“You’re right. We’ll end up fighting for her, ha, I’m silly. Sorry. That's a relief then, next time show me the girl you like, I bet she’s as pretty as Junghwa.”

“Sure,” Kyujong answers before Youngsaeng make his excuse to leave.

“Well congratulations on winning, I knew you’d win. I have to go, I promise Junghwa I’d see her after I come to check up on you.” Youngsaeng says earning hums and nods from Kyujong before leaving the black car. Kyujong can only observe as Youngsaeng leave, waving back to him a few times. The next time Kyujong sees Youngsaeng was at the man’s wedding. The images of a kissing Youngsaeng and Junghwa were vivid in his memories, and he hated to have witness the sight.

Kyujong pulls out the necklace with a globe from the top cabinet in his desk. Then he scans the rusty chain and its fading colors. “An accident?” Kyujong recalls Hyungjun’s words and quickly switch on his computer, searching for any articles on Heo Youngsaeng’s accident. “Car accident…? Coma...?”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpgwUbtUSFiq2Ggryn9qT
credit