FIFTEEN

Bitter Memory Lane

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNgyx9uuO_E_skqIaZKzk  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7EQNiNPoxvtp9aFSwl34

Chapter 015

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

“Somewhere there’s someone else for everyone. What if you already lost your someone?” Sungyeol read aloud while sitting beside Kyujong on a bench under a tree on campus, “Can you believe the teacher give us poetry for homework? I mean what kind of Korean class assign such cheesy poetry?” Sungyeol put down his paper and groaned in annoyance before looking over to Kyujong, who was writing in his diary. “Hey, what are you doing?”

Kyujong peeked up from his diary and smiled at the younger, “It’s not for kids to know,”

Sungyeol scoffed in disbelief, “Kids? Wow really, I asked you to help me but you’re writing in your diary? What are you writing down anyway?”

Kyujong clicked his tongue, “Don’t try to know. Just focus on your homework,”

Sungyeol scowled before standing up from the table, “Owf if you won’t help me then why did you invite me over for a homework group  gathering in the first place?” he groaned as he leave the table side and waved his paper violently in the air. Meanwhile Kyujong was writing a response to the poem he had gotten from Sungyeol in his diary.

“‘Somewhere there’s someone else for everyone. What if you already lost your someone?’ - If you know who your someone is and they know who you is then there’s no way you’ll lose them and vice versa. If you’ve already lost the one you thought would be yours then you weren’t meant to be in the beginning,” Kyujong had written down.

“What are you doing?” Youngsaeng’s voice startled Kyujong from behind. Kyujong shut his diary immediately after noticing that Youngsaeng had been peeking over his shoulder, meanwhile Hyungjun slide into the seat across from Kyujong, where Sungyeol were before he left angry.

“What are you writing about with such a hard face?” Hyungjun asked. With a quick attack Hyungjun tried to grab at the diary, but Kyujong was quicker and hit the man’s hand away before he could grab the book, “Oh? You’re not sharing and telling?”

“It’s nothing important,” Kyujong lied. Hyungjun who wasn’t convinced smiled.

“Is that so? Youngsaeng grab it!” Hyungjun said aloud, flustering Kyujong and caused him to look over his shoulder for any movements from Youngsaeng. But instead he felt his book being pulled out from his hands and before he knew it, Hyungjun had taken off with his diary.

“Hyungjun! Hey!” Kyujong called, as he tried to get up and chase after the thief, Youngsaeng caught him by the shoulders and pushed him back down on the bench.

“What did you write in there?” he asked. Kyujong sighed as it wasn’t the time to be explaining things to Youngsaeng. He needed to retrieve his diary before Hyungjun could look through and read his personal contents.

“I’ll tell you after I get it back from Hyungjun,” Kyujong said in a hurry as he attempted to get up again. But Youngsaeng did not care and pushed him back down.

“No, if you won’t tell me now then I’m going to keep you here to make time for Hyungjun so he can tell me later,” Youngsaeng said in a teasing tone, but Kyujong was too worried to be playing along with the lad.

“That’s not just any book, it’s my diary. You know it’s my personal book that I’ve never disclosed to anyone,” Kyujong said in a serious tone, ruining the playful atmosphere.

“Fine, go after it. I won’t ask you anymore,” Youngsaeng said, there Kyujong got up and started down the path Hyungjun had ran off toward. Kyujong found Hyungjun some time later under a tree with the diary shut in his hands. As Kyujong approached Hyungjun, he could sense and feel the man emitting a strange aura. Once Kyujong was some feet from Hyungjun, he wanted to pull the book from the man’s hand but instead shifted his attention.

“What’s wrong with you?”

Hyungjun held the book up to their eye level, “Be honest with me. By any chance, are you interested in men?”

Kyujong knew then that Hyungjun had looked through his diary, “Not just any men but only one man,”

Hyungjun blinked a few times, “It’s not...me...is it?” He questioned under a whisper.

Kyujong reacted with a disbelief sound before answering, “Of course not. Why would I like you?”

“Then who is it? Is it Sungyeol?”

Kyujong sighed, “Never,”

“Youngsaeng?” Hyungjun asked, raising a brow this time. Kyujong diverted his gaze and break their eye contact before humming. Hyungjun gasped at the answer, “Does he know?”

“Does who know?”

Hyungjun sighed, “Does Youngsaeng know you like him?”

“It doesn’t matter,” Kyujong answered shortly after. Eager to satisfy his own curiosity, Hyungjun pushed for an answer.

“Why doesn’t it matter?”

“Because he could never like me back the same way I do him,” Kyujong answered with a serious tone.

Hyungjun was making his way to Kyujong’s office when Youngsaeng was not in his room. After a few soft knocks, he heard no answer and thus welcome himself into the room instead. To his surprise, it was empty until he heard the voices of Kyujong and Youngsaeng. “Youngsaeng?” Hyungjun called but again was not answered. As Hyungjun followed the noises and appeared around the corner, he was surprised to witness the following event.

After Kyujong had made his leave from the restroom, Youngsaeng couldn’t let anymore slide and decided to follow the lad out. Setting foot just outside the restroom, Youngsaeng had managed to grabbed onto Kyujong’s arm and spun the taller man around. It was then that Hyungjun had made his appearance and saw how Youngsaeng moved forward and planted his lips against Kyujong’s. His action surprising both Kyujong and Hyungjun.

In the ten short seconds that they’ve exchanged kisses, Youngsaeng finally pulled away first before eyeing Kyujong, “You’re wrong. I married Junghwa because I understood you,” Kyujong blinked at Youngsaeng’s words, confused by his meaning.

“What is this?” Hyungjun asked, catching both of them off guard.

“H-Hyungjun?” Youngsaeng stuttered in surprise.

“What did I just see happen?” Hyungjun asked, weakly.

“I...Uh I…,”

“What brings you here?” Kyujong asked, changing the topic as if nothing had happened.

Hyungjun scoffed, taken surprise by Kyujong’s guts, “I couldn’t find Youngsaeng in his room and thought perhaps you might have a clue. I guess I wasn’t wrong when I thought he would be here,”

“Hyungjun let’s talk out—” Youngsaeng tried to lesser the intensity of the atmosphere but Hyungjun cut him off instead.

“Tell me Youngsaeng, do you mean it? What you said just now,”

“I can explain out—”

“I never asked for an explanation, I wanted an answer Youngsaeng. Do you really mean it? What you said about marrying Junghwa? Then, are you telling me your memories has returned? Since when?” Hyungjun asked, without giving Youngsaeng any chances to answer.

“Your memories came back?” Kyujong asked beside him while wearing a hard face. Youngsaeng suddenly felt cornered and little in front of his two closest friends. For a brief moment he wished they would just leave him alone.

“Why are you two doing this to me? I don’t have to answer to either one of you,” Youngsaeng said, ready to storm out of the room until Hyungjun caught him by the arm.

“If your memories did return and if you’re acting like this without thinking about Junghwa then I won’t let it slide easily Youngsaeng,” Hyungjun’s tone made Youngsaeng sweat as it darkens the mood of the room.

Before speaking, Youngsaeng grabbed a hold of Hyungjun’s hand around his arm and tighten it within his own fist, “You might have to since I know all about your feelings for her,”

It was Hyungjun’s turn to feel little and threatened. His eyes shook a bit as he locked gazes with the shorter man, “W-what?”

“You’re not the type to be nice to anyone unless you can gain or earn something from it. You may have paid for my life support but even for a friend, you wouldn’t have showered my wife with so many gifts and favors,” Youngsaeng said before ripping Hyungjun’s hand from his skin. “Sometimes we cannot control our feelings, therefore I don’t blame you and I won’t hate you. But you should know, you’re not Junghwa’s type Hyungjun,” Youngsaeng stated.

Meanwhile, Kyujong just watched in silence. He realized how little interest he had paid in Junghwa and Hyungjun, and how he was so focused on his feelings for Youngsaeng that he couldn’t even see the love triangle between his other friends.

“If you want me to pretend in front of Junghwa that I was never aware of your guys affair then keep me regaining my memories a secret from her for now. When the time is right, I’ll tell her myself,” with that being said, Youngsaeng left the room without making any further contact with Kyujong. Hyungjun scoffed as he followed the lad with his eyes.

As Youngsaeng pushed the door open with all his force, he accidentally hit Sungyeol who has been eavesdropping. Embarrassed, Sungyeol turned his back and look at the wall, waiting for Youngsaeng to leave.

“Crazy bastard. I’ve never seen him so serious before,” Hyungjun cursed in a mumbling manner. At that moment, Kyujong stepped forward and came to stand beside Hyungjun.

“Isn’t it so unfair?” He asked openly to his friend.

“What is?” Hyungjun asked with a hateful tone.

“Yours and my love. Looks like we’re both in the same boat,” Kyujong said. Hyungjun pushed his nicely well done hair back and heaved a deep sigh.

“There are so many fishes in the sea, how did the four of us end up in a square affair?”

“That’s what I’d like to know,” Kyujong commented, “anyway looks like I’ve made up with Youngsaeng. Now it’s your turn, friend,”

Hyungjun clicked his tongue, “Friend," he mimicked, "I think we’re using that word too loosely,” Kyujong only shrugged at Hyungjun’s words.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHThFlJGPApNykTVQNvYT

In his room, Youngsaeng was washing his face to cool himself down. Then quickly he made contact with the edge of the sink’s counter with his palms and hung his head over the faucet.

“I bought you these flowers for Valentine's Day. Instead of spending it alone, spend it with me. Think of me as Youngsaeng’s replacement and at least have dinner with me,”

“It’s White Day and I bought you some gifts. How about meeting me at your place? I also bought some sweets that you like,”

“I figure you didn’t want a lonely birthday. How about dinner? I’ll treat you out and spoil you in Youngsaeng’s place,”

Youngsaeng shut his eyes, wishing those were the words he had never heard by listening from afar or over the phone by Hyungjun. For a while Youngsaeng’s chest was heating up as negative thoughts clouded his mind. He wondered why only the bad memories kept lingering and replaying in his mind, when he was certain there were also good and happy memories.

“I thought you called yourself Kyujong’s best friend? But how come you never came to see him once while he was sick? Were you afraid of catching his cold?” Kyujong’s mother had questioned when Youngsaeng came by with Kyujong after school.

“Kyujong was sick…?” Youngsaeng asked, confused.

“Do you feel bad? If you do then don’t eat what I’m making and just go home,”

“Mom, what are you doing?” Kyujong had asked and attempted to stopped his mother.

“Why? I heard his family had old money? He’s from a nice family yet he comes over only to eat and doesn’t even bring anything with him. Why do you keep such a friend around?”

“Mom, he’s the only one I can get along with at school. Do you want to see me transfer again for being bullied?”

“If that means he will stop coming here like a beggar then sure, I will transfer you without any regret. It’s not like you study well anyway,” Kyujong’s mother had cursed.

Youngsaeng was now lying on his side on the bed. In his hand he was playing with the globe necklace that belonged to Kyujong.

“I didn’t ask to have you here so I can help you regain your memories nor do I want to make you remember. I wanted you here, because I wanted to change your mind.”

Youngsaeng sighed and took a good long look at the necklace. “Kyujong, what you’re doing isn’t love. It’s revenge,” Youngsaeng dug into his pant’s pocket and pulled out a wrinkled photo of a woman, “right? Kyujong mom,”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpgwUbtUSFiq2Ggryn9qT

credit