Eight

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That was a huge mess Jaera made and left to clean itself at the cafeteria, but oddly enough, despite the numerous witnesses, some if which were Wonwoo's loyal partisans who could tattle on her, she just couldn't give a damn about it. It felt satisfying. Even. Justified.

 

Whatever comes her way, nothing could ruin her day, not after seeing the look of mortification on his face - a priceless sight to her - which spoke of his anger and resentment towards her for reasons unknown. Jeon Wonwoo, out of all the people out there, should have known better and should have thought twice about his course of action before deciding to go on ahead with it. He, of all people, should have known never to mess with THE Yoon Jaera.

 

The thought of him forgetting what and how she really is, probably buried in his mission to eradicate every single thing that made Jaera appear good, made matters easier for her to eliminate the thoughts of concern where he was involved which then resulted to her comfortable state while she humiliated him in front of more than half of the school populace.

 

It was odd how it felt as easy as breathing as she pulled Wonwoo several notches down from what he thought was his pedestal. He might have felt the fulfillment of humiliating her, but Jaera had an even higher satisfaction having pulled off that stunt in front of everyone.

 

He stooped low and in her opinion, he does not deserve to be acting all high and mighty after he spread rumors that she cheated on him or after he made a wet giant chicken out of her. If anything, Jaera felt right putting him on his rightful place by utilizing his personal emotions and lying to gain the sympathy of their school mates.

 

Her chest swelled with contentment and despite the impending retaliation she was a hundred and ten percent sure she would get from Wonwoo, the corners of her lips spread into a smile, a meek one that could easily be likened to the shy, frozen sun that peeked through dense grey clouds.

 

It was the first time she felt genuinely satisfied since coming back. Seeing her mother after a long time and meeting Mingyu, they were things she was happy about, but angering and merely affecting Wonwoo that way thrilled her to the toes. For some reason she just wanted to see him lose it, see him break that misplaced coldness about him and turn it into fiery rage, the same kind she felt after she got over the sadness of losing him to an enemy she did not know a thing about.

 

The week is about to end with her name on the winner's podium. It gave her so much drive that she even wanted to attend her Chemistry class where Wonwoo was her seatmate, unable to wait what he would dish out this time. Jaera is prepared for it. No matter what he does, she will always have something to counter it, at least she believes so.

 

Jisoo and Hyeri came into the room several minutes after, flanked by a panting Mingyu and Hansol who was eyeing the former with a quizzical, borderline annoyed look.

 

Jaera watched them all move like amoeba towards her, their features contorted from open distaste to worry. Of course, Hansol was the one who looked resentful, but then, when didn't he?

 

The pale boy, who had a black bandana tied right under his hairline, stepped forward, leaning against the table. As expected of him, he broke the heavy silence that weighed over everyone in the room first.

 

"Let me speak first," he began. "Yoon Jaera, what you did back there was nothing less than epic, but you just dug your grave."

 

Jisoo was taken aback. "What the –"

 

"Hey!" Hyeri barked at Hansol, slapping him on the arm but nothing could seem to stop the boy from his tirade.

 

"It's Wonwoo we're talking about here." His eyes were intent on her as he said, "Do you even know him at all?"

 

Jaera chuckled as if he said something hilarious, her giggles filling the room. It took time for her to recover from the fit of laughter before she was able to coherently say, "I thought I did, too, Hansol. Now I am not so sure," with all the derision she could muster in her state.

 

When he did not speak again, she droned on. "Or maybe, I never really knew him at all." Her grin widened, taking on an evil streak. “That makes it all the more thrilling.”

 

Hansol was easy to let it go, well aware that he will not win in an argument where Jaera was concerned. He nodded. "Look, Jaera, you start messy, you end up in an even bigger load of crap."

 

She shook her head. "You can be sure I won't be the one who would end up in a ty situation. You can tell your bastard friend that."

 

"That is not the point," he told her in exasperation. "Thing is, knowing the two of you, whoever ends up hurting, the other one would end up hurting for the other."

 

Jaera's eyes were blank obsidians as she stared off, refusing to meet Hansol's gaze, but on the inside, she flinched. Somehow, there was truth in what the boy was saying and she did not know which of the two thoughts surprised her. "That's where you're wrong."

 

He sighed and let on a smirk. "Jaera, darling, I don't care if I am wrong or right. I just don't want either of you to get hurt...again." With that, he left the room like the haughty rich brat he is.

 

Jaera smirked. "Can you believe that person? What's he yapping on about?"

 

Hyeri smoothed her hand over Jaera's back and in the gentlest way she could, she said, "You know he's right, Jae."

 

"He couldn't have been more wrong in his life." Jaera chuckled. "Don't worry. It ends here."

 

Jisoo did not look like he doubted her but his next words suggested otherwise. "Does it?"

 

"He started it, I will end it. Simple as that."

 

Jisoo patted her on the head. "You be a good girl now, yeah? No more fights with Wonwoo. I will talk to him."

 

Jaera grinned at him, concealing the fact that she was suddenly uncomfortable upon realizing that Mingyu had been standing there all along. The guy was aware that she isn't in good terms with Jeon Wonwoo and she has hoped that his knowledge would be limited to that, but seeing things as they are now, it couldn't be helped.

 

"No more fights."

 

**

 

“Ready to go home?” Mingyu asked a rather preoccupied Jaera, who was gathering her notebook, books and mechanical pencils on the table with a faraway look about her dark pools for eyes.

 

He had been watching her stare out the window while she tried to pick up the last pencil on her table for the past minute, but not succeeding in her endeavor as she was not looking where her pencil is. Mingyu took the liberty of reaching for the pencil himself and handing it to her, but she did not seem to notice that as well.

 

He waved the thing in front of her face, amused and worried at the same time. “Earth to Jaera?”

 

She snapped out of it, albeit partially, and stared at the male in front of her, but she can’t seem to process what he was going on with the pencil, and just stared at him quizzically, her hands continuing to search for her missing pencil.

 

Jaera glanced at the direction of the table and realized that Mingyu was already holding the pencil she was supposed to grab. She glanced around her and realized that the classroom was empty apart from the two of them. She blinked and stared at him, motioning to grab her pencil, but he held it away from her.

 

Her shoulders sank, her eyes narrowed at him while a slight smile played about the corners of her lips. “Are we seriously playing this game?” she asked him, cocking her brow.

 

He grinned at her. “Are you alright? You’re acting out of sorts.”

 

“Just thinking,” she answered promptly. It seemed to be a well-formulated excuse she has decided to make for herself whenever someone catches her off guard. Even the tone in which she uttered the words seemed to sound the same to Mingyu.

 

Handing her the pencil, he said, “You’ve said that to me for the umpteenth time since we met. Is there something bothering you?”

 

Jaera chuckled and shook her head, thinking of what she would say as she walked towards the exit. She glanced at Mingyu, who was following behind her, with a smile and explained that she really has a habit of spacing out when she’s deep in thought.

 

“You should know by now.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter