Ten

Wagered Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following week was rather peaceful. Everything stopped, even the whispering behind her back. It made Jaera wonder what made Wonwoo different from Mingyu. Now that everything looked settled to everyone where she and the latter were concerned, everything just stopped.

 

She couldn’t help but wonder if everyone had been against her relationship with Wonwoo from the beginning, but that wasn’t likely since everyone was friendly to her until after that confrontation she had with him at the park. There was no reason for her to believe that it wasn’t him who was behind everything.

 

Still, she thought of what Hansol told her the previous week when he gave her a ride home. ‘I’ll tell him to stop chasing after you,’ that’s what he said, confusing her further. Mingyu pointed out that there was a possibility that Wonwoo still wanted her to be with him, thus their current arrangement. The rich brat just had to add his two cents in it.

 

Though he didn’t say anything directly, and she didn’t really give a rat’s clarifying things regarding Wonwoo and his feelings for her, it bothered her to no end. Questions, one after the other, kept popping out of nowhere whenever she sees the person in question.

 

Jaera contemplated about the matter for the whole weekend, even talking it out with Mingyu, who was, thank goodness, all ears despite of how dumb she thought the situation was. It was to her relief that her new friend didn’t hesitate on sharing his thoughts about it, too. He had no biases, didn’t hate Wonwoo like Hyeri did, so she felt more at ease trusting his judgment.

 

Of course, Jaera also considered speaking to Hyeri and Jisoo about it, but knowing how the former resented her former boyfriend, she knew there was no way she would get a clear answer. If that girl can have things her way, she would have murdered Wonwoo already. Jisoo, who is always supportive of her despite his constant berating, wouldn’t be much help either since he used to be friends with him.

 

It’s just to her advantage that Mingyu is there to either help her or keep her distracted. He hung out with her all day the previous Saturday, even offering to speak to Wonwoo himself, but she drew the line there, knowing that it would raise hell on earth. Wonwoo obviously didn’t like Mingyu in the least, and as much as it was confusing her, she didn’t fail to notice the animosity between the two males….or just on Wonwoo’s end.

 

Things were just taking an odd turn ever since Mingyu initiated their fake relationship. That day she hung out with Mingyu, Wonwoo just had to schedule a basketball game on their garage with his friends. The two of them were enjoying refreshments her mother made as they sat on the gazebo when Hansol’s car suddenly pulled up on the Jeons’ driveway. He was with Sunyoung, this other guy from school named Choi Seungcheol, that loud guy he had trigonometry with and another dark-haired one she didn’t quite recognize.

 

Sunyoung, being a close friend to her when they were younger, approached upon noticing her and Mingyu there. It’s just like him to be oblivious of things when he’s waist-deep in boiling water. To Sunyoung, it just didn’t matter if Jaera and Wonwoo were having disputes as long as he remained friends with either.

 

“Hi!” he greeted excitedly, crossing the street to stand by the fence. “Hello, Mingyu.”

 

Jaera and Mingyu returned the greeting, the former offering for Hoshi to join them, but just as he was about to enter the lawn, Wonwoo just had to show up, motioning for him to get over to his side of the street. He spared a single stern glance at Hoshi, glanced at Jaera until his line of vision finally lingered on Mingyu.

 

Sunyoung had to turn back, smiling ruefully before going back to join the others. Jaera thought that Wonwoo is being childish as he turned away, seemingly satisfied that he won Sunyoung over them.

 

“What are we, third graders?” she scoffed as she stared after Wonwoo’s retreating figure. “Ignore him.” Her eyes then shifted to Mingyu, surprised when she found him leaning on the balustrade, his eyes intent on her.

 

A slow smile spread across his lips. “How can I notice him when the view is this breathtaking?” he said, reaching over to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

 

Jaera swallowed hard, startled by his sudden behavior. “W-what are you –”

 

“He’s jealous,” he merely said as he shifted his eyes to the other side of the street. Jaera followed the direction of his gaze and found Wonwoo shooting daggers at them. If looks could kill, they would have been a bloody mess on the floor.

 

Mingyu chuckled. “I’m still waiting for him to gather his courage and take you from me…” He grinned. “But it looks like you’re mine for the meantime.”

 

Jaera looked away from Wonwoo. “Stop provoking him. If there’s anyone who would be putting his feet in his mouth, it would be him, so, yeah, tone down on the aggravation.”

 

“He still affects you,” he commented as he leaned against the balustrade, turning his back on the other boy. “You wouldn’t be up for this if you aren’t.”

 

She shrugged. “If you’ve loved someone for as long as I loved Wonwoo, you would feel all confused and weird seeing him and having other feelings other than love.”

 

Mingyu reached for his glass. “How exactly do you feel about him right now?” he asked. “Be honest.”

 

“I don’t know.” Her gaze was far away as she answered his question. “I can’t say I don’t love him. I don’t hate him totally, but I just feel annoyed and…and frustrated over the whole thing.” She flashed a pained look at Mingyu. “The way he is taking our current situation is just making things harder for me. Do you understand me at all?”

 

Mingyu just smiled and shook his head. That’s another thing Jaera liked about him. He doesn’t pretend to know how she is feeling and says so when he disagrees to what she says. Just because she seemed to be the only friend he had around their community, he does not try to agree with everything she says and does. He’s just too honest to a fault that sometimes, she’s left flustered.

 

“He wouldn’t be behaving like that if I am not right about him,” he said. He also had a knack for stating the obvious.

 

“No , Sherlock,” she acceded.

 

“I’ve proven my point.”

 

Jaera shrugged. “To me or to Wonwoo?”

 

“To you.” He snickered, toying with the tips of her hair. “You just admitted to it.”

 

“That’s because I am not blind and numb and…” Jaera eyed him in indignation. “…and I know him to well to know when he’s being jealous.”

 

He nodded slowly. “Alright. I guess we can stop pretending now.”

 

“That’s hardly proof that he still has feelings for me,” she said. Wonwoo could be shrewd when he wanted to be. For all she knew, he could just be antagonizing Mingyu to get to her for his so-called revenge. Knowing him, he had more tricks up his sleeve, and he could be such a jerk, too, at least to Jaera, that’s how Wonwoo is. He could just be lying low, but is really out to get her.

 

Mingyu poked her on the cheek, annoying her further. “Now I think you like our arrangement more than I am enjoying it.”

 

“Don’t let air get into that head of yours, mister.” She shrugged, leaning her head against his shoulder. “I just know him.”

 

All throughout the week, Wonwoo did everything he could do to avoid Jaera, steering clear of her way. Since classes resumed following the weekend, she wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter