D-D-DAY

Nice To Meet You

She is beautiful, he thought. 

 

And she was nervous, her palms were sweaty and her heart was beating like a metronome. 

 

He was suddenly standing, looking at her with awe. He remembered the flowers he bought, he carefully picked it up from the table top and handed it to her with fullest of sincerity. And she acepted the beautiful bouqeut of flowers with thanks. She felt the urge to smell the alluring bunch, she did, and the flowers smelled like flowers.  

 

Like a gentleman, Seunghoon pulled out her chair and urged her to take a seat. She sat down and that was that.

 

The truth is, Park Sooyoung had little to no experience with boys, dating, or love. She never had the time or the urges to be in relationships until now, curiosity was what drove her to to these lengths. Park Sooyoung wanted to know why people were head over heels with the idea of falling in love, she wanted to know why she felt greater torment when couples would woo at the falling leaves of the blossom trees during spring, she wanted to know how it felt to hold hands with someone she loved. The girl was smart and confident, but standing in front of the handsome boy made her nerves rise and fall, and butterflies fluttered in such great waves that she lost her words to speak.

 

Introductions were exchanged, after that silence enveloped the both of them. The menu was handed to them by the server who also sensed the awkwardness between the two, the server laughed internally at how cute the they were, he smiled at them and left. Soon their noses were burried in the menu.

 

Frustration and anxiousness was blooming inside of Seunghoon, desperately wanting to make the awkwardness and silence disappear. The boy had prepared for this moment, but seeing her made his mind go blank. Shyness and straint was not something Sooyoung was familiar with until she met the equally quiet boy who was sitting across from her. 

 

"So, uh, do you like brunch?" Seunghoon asked shyly

 

"Uhh" Sooyoung looked up from the menu and looked at the boy who had a shy expression on his face, "Yeah, I guess. I like to eat so I guess I do", the girl said awkwardly and the boy nodded at her answer. 

 

The boy wanted to slap himself, Why would you ask such a stupid question! She probably hates us now! Stupid. Seunghoon went back to reading the menu. 

 

"Uhh, do you like brunch?" Sooyoung asked the boy, trying to fill the silence. 

 

"Actually, this is the first time I've had brunch. I usually wake up when it's lunch, but dinner is my favourite mealtime." Seunghoon said. 

 

"Maybe, next time I'll take you to dinner." His eyes bulged in disbelief of what he just said, the girl too was quite shocked at his remark. Seunghoon ruffled the back of his head due to embarrassment, "I mean, if you like dinner that is", he chuckled, and his eyes disappeared due to the big embarrassed smile he was giving her. 

 

Sooyoung nodded her head with a lesser shocked expression, but once she looked back down at the menu she smiled at the boy's cute antics. Seunghoon was gulping down water from the glass, his face was turning rosier. How can he be so careless with his words. Silence had rece again, this time the silence was comfortable. 

 

The waiter had come back to take their order. Sooyoung was the first to order, "I'll have the fruit salad". Seunghoon looked at her while she was ordering her food, he thought of how she must've have been insecure about what to order since this was their first awkward little date and all. Chaerin told him about how conscious and careful she gets when ordering and eating food with other people, maybe Sooyoung was feeling conscious about it too. 

 

"Are you sure that's all you're going to eat?" he asked the girl who was seemed a little too careful with her meal choice in a very reassuring voice. He remembered she said she liked to eat earlier too. 

 

The girl nodded her head in response, "In that case, I'll get french toast with the chocolate brownies, uhh, the savoury crepes with sour cream on the side, blueberry pancakes with the vanilla ice-cream, mini quiches, a vanilla milkshake for me and - Sooyoung do you like chocolate or strawberry -" Sooyoung likes chocolate, and she realised that was the first time he said her name. " - and a chocolate milkshake for the lady." Seunghoon made sure he ordered delicious food. The waiter had written down their order, took the menus and left for the kitchen. 

 

Sooyoung. Sooyoung. Sooyoung. The way he said her name kept circling in her mind, the ring of his voice while saying her name had given her goosebumps. Why has she suddenly felt the urge for him to say her name again and again, over and over. She found that her name sounded sweeter when he said it. Sooyoung looked at the boy sitting across from her, they made eye contact and both quickly avoided it. Seunghoon smiled to himself, she's cute, he thought. 

 

"So," the boy was playing with his spoon while trying to converse with the very cute girl "have you been to other blind dates before?". The boy was utterly shy and he didn't know what to talk about with the girl, but he felt the urge to talk to her and to get to know her. 

 

"No," the girl responded bluntly. 

 

"Oh," the boy wasn't sure what to do next, Sooyoung seemed so reserved and too quiet around him and he felt it was his fault. Maybe he was being boring again, or she didn't like him. He suddenly felt disheartened at the thought. Sooyoung could tell that Seunghoon was taken aback by her shallow response, she felt bad, Sooyoung is hesitant to whether she should reveal that she has never been in a date before and she has never had a boyfriend. She thinks that telling him would repel interest. 

 

"This is my first.." Sooyoung continued to talk,

 

Seunghoon's face lit up a little bit, "My first blind date too.." he said.

 

"date ever." The girl finished her sentence. 

 

Seunghoon was in disbelief. Sooyoung was shy. 

 

"I'm not really helping you gain the full magical experience of first dates, am I?" Seunghoon said apologetically with a little chuckle. 

 

Sooyoung shook her head while smiling at the boys comforting remark. Seunghoon surely felt the sudden pressure deepening.

 

"I wasn't expecting much, so it's okay." she said. With that Seunghoon felt even worst.

 

The food started being served at their table. Seunghoon was surrounded by delicious looking food, while Sooyoung had a bowl of fruit salad. Sooyoung glanced at the food Seunghoon ordered and then looked back at hers, looked at Seunghoon's food then looked back at hers. Sooyoung heaved a deep sigh. She should've ordered something a little bit more satisfying, atleast she has a chocolate milkshake she thought. 

 

Seunghoon rubbed his hands together, picked up his fork and knife and started to eat. "Bon appetit!", the boy said cheerfully. "Bon appetit" Sooyoung said regretfully.

 

Sooyoung picked up her fork and stabbed honeydew melon, and started nibbling on the fruit. While she was nibbling on the fruit, Seunghoon was thoroughly enjoying the blueberry pancake that he ordered. Sooyoung unexpectedly watched Seunghoon eat his food jealously and Seunghoon took notice. 

 

"Your drool" Seunghoon jokingly pointed at Sooyoung's chin and Sooyoung quickly retracted and wiped her chin, "I'm just kidding". 

 

"Here" Seunghoon holding his fork trying to spoon feed Sooyoung some of the pancake. 

 

Sooyoung was feeling hesitant and shy, but she leaned forward anyway and ate the piece of pancake Seunghoon was offering. "Eummm~~" Sooyoung's eyes widened, the blueberry pancake was so delicious, "they're so good".

 

Seunghoon offered another piece by spoon feeding her, but this time Sooyoung wasn't hesitant. "Try this.." Seunghoon said while offering to feed Sooyoung some of the french toast. Sooyoung gleefully took a bite of the triangular shaped bread, and moaned in satisfaction. Then she realised what she - they - had been doing, they had been acting like a sweet couple feeding eachother food. Sooyoung quickly reverted back to her seat. "Oh my." she said. "I'm sorry for eating your food." she suddenly felt embarassed for her actions.

 

Seunghoon smiled and laughed at Sooyoung's cute action, "No, it's fine. I ordered too much anyway, I can't possibly finish all of this by myself". 

 

Seunghoon halfed-halfed all the food he ordered into even proportions, he shared the other half of the food with Sooyoung. Sooyoung was very much touched at Seunghoon's action, she looked at him with thoughtful eyes. She silently watched him eat his food, she was thankful to him, he was very cautious and thoughtful about her. 

 

"Stop staring, my face is going to melt" he said in a mockingly. 

 

Sooyoung quickly looked away, "Thank you for the food". 

 

Sooyoung smiled and started eating the food Seunghoon had given her. Seunghoon smiled seeing she was content with the food. 

 

Seunghoon knew that Sooyoung hadn't ordered what she really wanted from the menu, he wanted her to be comfortable while eating around him. That was the least he can do, since her first date ever wasn't going too great. He ordered things he thought she would like, thankfully she likes what he chose. 

 

"Do you like it," he asked

 

"Yes, thank you." she answered. 

 

It's been a long time since Seunghoon last ate in front of a girl that wasn't his sister or his mother. It's been a long times since he met a girl who he thought was pretty, cute and interesting. He waited and watched her finish her food while he was calmly sipping on the straw of his vanilla milkshake. She looks so pretty while she eats, he thought and he agreed internally. Though he would never admit it because Lee Seunghoon was very bad at expressing his feelings. 

 

The girl had finished eating her meal, like Seunghoon she had only her milkshake to finish. While taking sips from her shake, she felt a lingering feeling coming from across the table. She looks across to find Seunghoon staring. This time Sooyoung doesn't avoid eye contact, Seunghoon's eyes grew a little bit bigger to the shock of her not avoiding his eyes. They kept on the straw of their drink whilst staring at eachother. A few seconds passed and they began to squint at eachother, like a competition to see who would stray from the eye contact. No one prevailed, the two were both very stubborn and never liked to give up. Seunghoon began taking larger gulps of his milkshake, and furrowed his eyebrows at the girl. Sooyoung noticed how quickly the liquid from Seunghoon's glass was disappearing so she too began larger amounts of her milkshake. 

 

Once again the two were initiated a competition to whom could finish the milkshake first. Seunghoon who had been drinking from his milkshake longer was almost done with his shake, as he took larger gupls he was nearing the end. 

 

"Done!" he said, after a second he felt his head ache. "Brainfreeze" he said with a contorted face. 

 

Sooyoung only laughed and began to drink slowly from her shake, Seunghoon smiled at the thought of Sooyoung's laugh. That was the first time she laughed today, and it made Seunghoon feel better about ruining her first ever date. 

 

It was quarter-past twelve. Very little was said and done on their short date, it was awkward and slightly uncomfortable. They both had no idea of what was to happen after this. Seunghoon felt apologetic that he didn't give Sooyoung a better first date experience. Sooyoung was too, about not being herself in front of Seunghoon. 

 

The two had finished eating and were ready to pay the bill. The two stood up and walk towards the cashier, both with their cards stretched offering to pay. The two kept insisting to pay, and the lady at the cashier was was put in a dilemma. "Take my card." Seunghoon said, "No, take mine." Sooyoung said.

 

"How about we play russian roulette card, we mix our cards and the cashier chooses" Seunghoon suggested.

 

The girl agreed as it seemed that it was the best compromise, she handed him her card. Seunghoon had mixed their cards well and stretched it out towards the cashier. Seunghoon urged the lady to take his card on the left by nodding his head slightly to the left and by raising his card a little higher than Sooyoung's. Luckly, the cashier understood and took Seunghoon's card on the left. 

 

Seunghoon paid with Chae's card, and the two were leaving the cafe. 

 

Once they were outside they looked at eachother. "I guess this is good-bye."

 

Sooyoung stretched out her hand for a handshake, Seunghoon looked at her hands and slowly put his on hers. They shook hands. Awkwardly. 

 

"Good-bye" he said.

 

"Good-bye" she said.

 

They hesitantly let go of each others hands. And parted ways. 

 

Seunghoon had walked towards where he parked car which was the opposite direction of Sooyoung's bus ride. 

 

He got in the car, started the engine. 

 

Oh, Park Sooyoung. He thought. 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note:

Sorry for taking too long to update. This was bad wasn't it.

Winner's comeback was awesome right!

Stay tuned.