Tears to shed

Red String of Misery

Jihoon sits with his friends in the cafeteria. His thoughts are far away from the conversation his friends are having. His mind is on the couple that sits three tables away from him: Seungcheol and Jeonghan. They look happy together and Jihoon won’t lie, they look pretty damn well together too.

 

“Hey are you listening?” says Seungkwan as he waves a hand in front of Jihoon, but Jihoon still doesn’t pay attention, which makes Seungkwan turn to see what he’s paying attention to.

 

“Jihoon, looking at them won’t solve anything,” he says as he eats his food, but Jihoon already knows that. Jihoon doesn’t remember when he started to see the red string that connected the both of them, but he wishes he hadn’t, or at least his wishes he wasn’t meant to be with Seungcheol. Because really? the boy already has someone to love and Jihoon is just probably another person to him.

 

“Earth to Jihoon,” says Seungkwan as he tries once again to grab the others attention, this time it works.

 

“What?” he snaps.

 

“Gosh I’m sorry i was just trying to grab your attention,” says Seungkwan.

 

“I’m sorry I was just-”

 

“You were just looking at them again weren’t you?” says Seungkwan with a sympathetic tone. Jihoon nods. He doesn’t want to be paired with Seungcheol because he evidently doesn’t even belong to him, he belongs to Jeonghan and what not. It was this very incident that had made him not believe in such things as soulmates and fate. What makes it worse is that Seungcheol is no stranger to him, actually it’s the opposite.

 

Jihoon was actually friends with Seungcheol in highschool, they were close and at one point inseparable, but ever since Jihoon saw they were connected he didn’t want to be as close anymore. Who could blame him? Seungcheol had Jeonghan and it ripped Jihoon’s heart when he saw that they could never really be together. He refuses to be more than just acquaintances with the boy. He doesn’t just want to be friends with Seungcheol, he wants to be more, but of course he doesn’t want to ruin anything.

 

Jihoon has tried to beat the system. He’s tried going out with other people, find his own soulmate, but his last date was pretty disastrous.

 

“I don’t understand, Jihoon? you know you both are meant to be, so why not tell him?” says Mingyu.

 

“Because he’s already with someone and I don’t want to ruin their relationship. I mean look at them,” he says at they look at the couple in front of them. Seungcheol is whispering something into Jeonghan’s ear and they’re both laughing.

 

“They do look good together,” says Mingyu. Seungkwan suddenly slaps him in the arm.

 

“Hey what was that for.”

 

“You’re not helping!” says Seungkwan. Mingyu suddenly realizes what he says and tries to reassure Jihoon.

 

“I mean, so what they look good together? you two are fated to be together,” he says, but Jihoon doesn’t pay much mind to it. He’s stabbing his food with his fork, he’s lost his appetite.

 

“It’s okay Mingyu. I mean they do look good together and that’s my point. I don’t want to ruin their perfect relationship. This is exactly why I don’t believe in this stupid fate thing. Yes, I can see we’re connected, but sometimes it can be wrong, and in my case it is.”

 

“Oh cheer up Jihoon, you guys used to be inseparable, the best of friends. Just becasue he was going out with Jeonghan at the time and still is doesn’t mean you two aren’t meant for each other. If it helps, I heard they’ve been having problems,” says Seungkwan.

 

He looks one more time at the couple. Having problems? yeah, right. He meets Seungcheol’s eyes, he gives Seungcheol a small smile and looks away.

 

“Anyway, I’ve have to get going. I have to finish composing this song for my assignment,” he says as he excuses himself to go back to his dorm. He walks out of the cafeteria and heads to his dorm, where unfortunately he gets to see Seungcheol almost everyday.  

 

He walks at a slow pace, he has no rush to get there anytime soon. “Hey Jihoon,” says the exact person who is the cause of all this fate problem.

 

“Hi, Seungcheol,” he says without looking at him.

 

“How was your day?”

 

Jihoon doesn’t want to deal with this right now. “Don’t you have somewhere to be with someone,” he asks in a harsh tone. He didn’t mean it that way, but he didn’t want to think about this anymore.

 

“Uh no Jeonghan just left with a few friends and I saw you walking, so I thought I’d walk with you,” he says with a smile. Jihoon still hasn’t looked at him, which at this point he really doesn’t even want to.

 

“So, how’s your music going?” he asks Jihoon. It’s no secret that Jihoon’s a composer. More often than not, people can hear what he’s working on from outside his dorm.

 

“It’s going well,” he says. He’s trying to keep a calm expression, but the truth is, he’s cried over his cursed fate for a long time, he doesn’t believe that he has anymore tears to shed.

 

Seungcheol can see his grim expression. “Are you having a bad day?” Seungcheol asks.

 

“You know when Jeonghan has bad days I-”

 

“I really have to go now, sorry,” Jihoon says interrupting Seungcheol. He doesn’t want to hear about it. He proceeds by walking faster than Seungcheol and hopefully the other doesn’t follow him, but he does. He’s already going up the stairs to his dorm.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” he asks. That’s it. He snaps, he’s tried to keep it calm, but damn.

 

“Why do you care?” he says as he looks at Seungcheol. Seungcheol just stares at him.

 

“What do you mean? we’re best-”

 

“No, we were and look I’m fine and you should probably go back to your boyfriend, who's probably looking for you,” he says as he turns around and shuts the door in Seungcheol’s face. Jihoon leans against the door and slides down to the ground, apparently he still has some tears to shed.