Chapter 1

The Depths of HIM

 

“Honey, have you packed all your stuff already?”

Mom asked me while showing me a smile and a fork that has a bacon pinned on it on her other hand. Waiting for my answer she didn’t put it inside , yet.

“I finished packing my stuff last night.”

I said briefly and took a bite on my apple.

“So, are you ready with your new school?”

Really Appa? You really have to remind me? I’M LIKE…. GAWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.. I think I’ll piss on my jeans right now.

“I’m … I don’t know. I guess it’s okay to be scared like how we are returning to where I was born.”

Yeah, to where I was born... which I got not even a single moment or memory I had in that house, I don’t know anything about it. Even if my eomma and appa told me times and over that we moved out there when I was 9 or 10 years old. I was rather in a mature kind of age right? To remember some thing? But, I don’t know maybe it’s just me. It’s me forgetting things. It was the damn accident, you know?

“Oh. God, damn. I’m sorry princess; I thought some pieces of your memories came back already. I just, I mean me and your mom thought…”

My father apologizing to me. His forehead crinkled, worried. Mom’s hands wet atop appa’s hands and soothing it.

“I-I’m sorry, I just can’t remember anything about it appa and eomma. All I could remember before and after the accident was the little boy... I love you both like, soooo muchhhhhh, and I’m thankful to be your beautiful daughter but, I’m trying. I’m truly trying.”

Then my parents came to my seat and sandwiched me…

“Eomma, appa... stop it. Please?? You know you could just say ‘I love you, baby or honey or princess, you know?”

I said as they let me go and the dining hall just burst onto laughter.

They really do love and know me. I hate hugging. I know it’s a way of showing they love meeeeeeeee! But, hey I’m 16 years old, something’s got to change too, you know, just even a bit. I’m not nagging; it’s just that at least they got to know I’m matured now.

I’m Catherine Jang. I’m 16 years old. My parents already enrolled me in a school which there is many cool kids. Yes, this school is one of the best schools in Seoul Korea. I will be a junior there. Too early for me to be a junior, eh’? Heard of acceleration for having a great IQ? Well, that did for me that am why. Many of my so-called friends say I’m boyish but, what’s wrong with loving and having soccer as a sport? I guess, they truly are my ‘so-called friends’. I love to mix my clothes with a lot of sneakers. I love to wear sneakers, the Chuck Taylor sneakers, Keds? I mix this footwear’s with my above-knee dresses, skirts when I and my parents go to these official and formal affairs. Don’t ask me why I hate wearing heels or why I don’t wear them. God, I can’t stand on them, I ing trip like almost, EVERYTIME if I ing wear them so yea, the HELL with those, stilettos, high-heels and sandals! I love spicy ddeokkbeokki and kimchi. Anything I love that’s spicy except shrimps. The thing that is so damn, damn, good to eat! But it, I can’t. I’m allergic to them. There was this one time I swayed my parents and took a bite, you know what happened?

My ing throat swelled that I can’t breathe. I was rushed to the hospital.

Today we’re leaving California, USA. Guess I’ll be speaking with honorifics now that I’ll be in Seoul Korea for good.

Though I don’t hope to have a good ol’ friend in a rush to have that scapegoat of not having your breath turning into sour without ever speaking but I do hope of having to see that boy who was with me. Will he be a grown teenager like me already? Ahhh, I can’t even remember his name. Bad luck eh’? All I can remember is, I call him ‘ears’ and he calls me his ‘everyday’. I don’t know if you’ll tell me its sweet but I guess it is, a bit. HAHA, Oh hell with it. He wouldn’t remember me. I don’t even know what will he look like, now.

“Hey, anything you want? The flight attendant has been asking you several times already?”

Mom asked and worry washed her face.

“Oh, sorry mom.

I’ll have an iced-mocha coffee.”

I motioned to the flight attendant.

“Will do, miss. I will be back with it.”

And she strutted.

“What’s wrong Catherine? Something’s bugging you? You’ve been spacing out a lot these days.”

“Dad, don’t worry about me. I’m just imagining things in Korea, you know, with honorifics and all?”

And I gave a big smirk to my appa and eomma.

“Well you can still call me your buddy you know.”

“Ah! Really, appa?”

I asked with a wide smile.

“Ahh, yeobo, your spoiling your baby again.”

Mom gave dad the look on the face that say’s...

‘Yeobo, stop spoiling your baby’

“Yeobo, you know I can’t stop myself spoiling our baby, she’s our princess.”

Then daddy gave mommy a simple kiss on her cheeks.

“You really know how to shut me up huh’?”

Awww, god. My parents are so sloppy eh’? Though I’d hate to see them not doing so, it would be kind’of off. Or incomplete.

“Mom, dad, we’re inside an airplane with passengers, ‘kay? Even though we’re on first class…… please?”

I noted my parents, but what did I get?

A kiss on both my cheeks.

My drink has arrived.

“Here it is, miss.”

Consequently as the attendant gave my drink she strutted. I took a sip of it and gave both my parents a smile and said….

“I know you two love me.”