four

Don’t Walk in the Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

No! Minghao woke up from the nightmare, panting and sweating. Pushing himself to a sitting position, Minghao blinked rapidly to allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness.

 

His eyes were wide open and his fists were clenching the bedsheets tensely. Heck, his entire body was wound up and tense because of the horrible nightmare.

 

Minghao was alone on the bed with the door closed and curtains drawn. After their exchange of confessions and a hot, passionate makeout session, Minghao had attempted to reach for Junhui’s sweatpants to undo them but was stopped by the brown haired boy’s firm hand.

 

“No, not today,” Junhui had smiled as he had entwined his fingers with Minghao’s. The Chinese boy remembered feeling annoyed, he had been so hard and needy for more skin contact, but Junhui had been adamant for waiting for another time.

 

Disappointed, Minghao had tried to protest but Junhui was kissing him again and all thoughts flew out of his head in flash as he had practically melted in the vampire’s embrace.

 

Junhui didn’t even allowed Minghao to spend the night in the same bed as he. The younger had been extra annoyed when the elder had slipped out of bed. Instead, Junhui chose to sleep on the small sofa in his bedroom while leaving the entire bed to Minghao. But before they went to sleep, Junhui gave him another chaste kiss and Minghao couldn’t stop smiling, his annoyance gone.

 

Minghao had went to sleep with a silly, lovesick smile on his face and then the nightmare happened.

 

Now, Minghao glanced fearfully at the vampire who didn’t stir. Junhui was dead asleep and Mingaho was glad that he didn’t have to see him in such a panicked state.

 

It felt so real, Minghao squeezed his eyes shut as he attempted to calm his racing heart.

 

Beads of sweat dotted his forehead and he wiped at them frenzily. Minghao was still shakened up by the nightmare and his hand instinctively reached for his neck. When his fingers touched smooth, unblemished skin, Minghao nearly erupted into tears of relief.

 

It was just a dream, it was just a dream, Minghao recited to himself, trying to reassure himself, but he just couldn't rid the image of Junhui leering at him with blood all over his handsome face from his brain. It felt so real.

 

Still shaken, Minghao forced himself to lie back down on the bed and pulled the blanket over his head. Unknowingly, Minghao began to cry softly as he hugged himself tightly.



 

Minghao woke up to the smell of eggs and bacon. He pried open his eyes tiredly and took a moment to gain his bearings. I’m still alive. I’m dating Junhui ge. He didn’t bite me. The Chinese boy listed out the recent play of events in his head as relief flooded him.

 

Junhui ge would never bite me without my permission. Minghao thought, confident in his new boyfriend. Sliding off the bed, Minghao made his way to the kitchen where he found Junhui placing down a plate of food.

 

“You’re up,” Junhui grinned, noticing the younger. Minghao felt a sense of oddness as he gaze at Junhui clad in an apron and looking domestic. This was the first time Minghao ever saw the vampire cooking and a sort of happiness flowered in his chest at the knowledge that Junhui was doing it for him.

 

He’ll never bite me without my consent, Minghao smiled triumphantly at his correct theory. Sitting down, Minghao pulled the plate of food closer to him. It was a simple fare of eggs and bacon, accompanied with a tall glass of milk.

 

“How does it taste?” Junhui eagerly inquired, hovering about the boy who picked up a piece of bacon with a fork. “It has been so long since I cooked; I’m not sure if it’s even edible.” The brown haired boy divulged bashfully.

 

Keen to prove Junhui wrong, Minghao quickly shove the bacon into his mouth and he wasn’t disappointed. Grinning, Minghao gave the vampire a thumbs up as he decreed, “it’s delicious, Junhui ge.”

 

Elated, Junhui pressed a soft kiss to Minghao’s cheek before settling down in the chair beside him. There was a sort of domesticity in the whole setting and Junhui sighed happily, his eyes resting contentedly on the blond boy.

 

Minghao went on to devour the rest of the plate but Junhui’s continuous staring made him feel self conscious. The taller boy had a cup in his hand but he wasn't drinking from it and his gaze didn’t waver from Minghao.

 

“Do you want some?” Minghao asked cautiously, after a while of feeling uncomfortable.

 

Minghao didn’t quite dared to look at Junhui in the eye — he was too scared to find out what kind of emotions the vampire’s face would have. Lust? Bloodlust? Instead, Minghao held out a forkful of bacon but Junhui shook his head.

 

“We vampires don’t eat human food,” Junhui explained with a small smile as Minghao withdrew his hand. He held up the cup in his hand and Minghao realized that the liquid was a dark red. “We just need blood to survive, remember?”

 

Blood, Minghao felt himself go numb as he chew the bacon slowly. His eyes darted towards the cup of blood and the image of Junhui with bloody lips popped into his mind.  

 

No, stop it, Minghao! The boy blinked once before cautiously glancing at Junhui who was oblivious to his boyfriend’s internal turmoil.

 

With worried eyes, Minghao carefully phrased his question, “would you ever drink my blood?”

 

Junhui faltered and fixed Minghao with an intense gaze that made the latter even more self conscious. He played with the remaining piece of bacon on the plate as he avoided Junhui’s eyes pointedly.

 

“I mean, I’m just being curious and all.” Minghao elaborated, trying for an offhand and nonchalant tone. He forced himself to stare at Junhui and was surprised by the amount of care and concern he found in his orbs.

 

Without a word, Junhui placed the cup on the dining table. He took Minghao’s hand and rubbed a thumb over the back of his hand lovingly. “I would never drink your blood, Minghao.” He promised earnestly, his eyes not leaving Minghao’s.

 

“Really? You would never? Even if you need blood?” Minghao hesitantly pressed on, not daring to believe his ears. This is the exact opposite of my nightmare and I — I don't know what to think or feel. Is this another dream?

 

“I’m not going to do anything to or with you unless I’m certain of your consent, Minghao.” Junhui reassured the younger, squeezing his hand tenderly. “And when you want me to stop, I’ll stop immediately. I’m never going to force you to do anything you don't want to do, Minghao.”

 

Junhui’s voice was so full of genuine sincerity and heartfelt honesty that Minghao knew that the elder was telling the truth. There was no way he could have faked his tone and Minghao could practically feel all his worries dissipate like smoke.

 

Then, from out of nowhere, happiness erupted in Minghao’s chest as he relaxed for the first time since he had the nightmare. I didn’t even know I was afraid of Junhui ge, Minghao admitted to himself as he smiled brightly at the vampire, but his words have calmed me.

 

“Minghao, what’s wrong?” Junhui questioned, concerned as he noticed the tears pooling in Minghao’s eyes. With his free hand, Junhui gently wiped them away before they even fell. “You’re tearing up.”

 

Minghao only hiccupped back, too emotional to formulate an answer yet, but Junhui frowned grimly. Questions poured out of the brown haired boy’s mouth as he hastily demanded, “what’s wrong? Were you ever forced to do something against your will? Is that the problem? Who forced you? I’ll go —”

 

“No, no,” Minghao quickly hushed the elder with a finger on the lips, smiling at the reaction Junhui had. Why could I ever think Junhui ge would hurt me? He would never.

 

Silenced by the finger, the vampire kept quiet and waited patiently for Minghao to give an explanation.

 

“I’m — I’m just so happy.” Minghao stammered out, too overwhelmed with emotions. He hadn’t even realized that there were tears in his eyes. He dabbed at his eyes quickly before grabbing Junhui’s other hand. Clasping them together, Minghao beamed brilliantly at Junhui who couldn’t help but smile back, albeit slightly surprised.

 

“Is everything alright, Minghao?” Junhui asked, still smiling as he checked the younger’s facial features carefully. “You’re really happy right now. I mean, I know my words were touching but you didn’t have to react so dramatically.”

 

“I’m just really touched,” Minghao shared, his smile as bright as the sun. Without warning, he threw his arms around a stunned Junhui and hugged the elder warmly. “Junhui ge, I can’t believe you’re actually real.”

 

If Junhui was baffled by Minghao’s words, the vampire didn’t let his confusion show. Instead, Junhui embraced the younger just as tightly and Minghao smiled into his shoulder, contented and relieved.

 

All of the sudden, there is a sharp knock on the apartment door which startled Minghao. Glancing up, he was surprised to see a flash of annoyance on Junhui’s face.

 

“What’s wrong?” Minghao asked tentatively, as Junhui broke apart from him. He was frowning as he made his way to the apartment door.

 

“It’s nothing. Don’t worry,” Junhui vaguely answered as he peeked into the peephole. The person on the other side of the door must have been who Junhui suspected it to be for he sighed wearily before pulling the door open.

 

Curious, Minghao trailed behind Junhui and peeped over his shoulder. A short, pink haired boy stood alone outside, his face emotionless and his hands behind his back. Despite his small stature, Minghao could tell that no one would actually mess with him. Who’s that?

 

“Hello, Junhui sshi.” The boy merely greeted. His shrewd eyes darted to Minghao where it seemed to burn a hole in Minghao’s face. Instinctively, Minghao shrunk back but Junhui’s hand found his and he squeezed it protectively.

 

“You have a new playtoy.” the boy remarked, his tone slightly surprised as if he was genuinely taken aback. He let his eyes flitter around Minghao’s delicate facial features before adding with grudging admiration, “he’s a pretty one but a bit on the young side, isn’t he?”

 

“I’m not young. I’m twenty years old!" Minghao squawked indignantly, glaring at Jihoon in annoyance.

 

You’re one to talk, Minghao snorted as Jihoon opened his mouth. He knew he had a somewhat baby face but considering Jihoon’s own short stature, Minghao was miffed at his condescending remark.

 

“Jihoon sshi.” Junhui intercepted before the other boy could respond. His voice was cool and steady but his grip tightened around Minghao’s hand, as if warning him not to press on and reassuring him at the same time.

 

Almost immediately, Minghao felt his annoyance fade as he squeezed the elder’s hand back. Mentally, he smiled sheepishly to himself as he relished Junhui’s touch. Man, it has been barely a day and I’m already so meek and passive to him.

 

Standing apart from the couple, Jihoon stared at Junhui, then Minghao before his eyes went to their locked hands. Quite pompously, Jihoon demanded peevishly, “well, aren’t you going to invite me in? I would have thought you would have learn some manners after so many decades of existing.”

 

He knows. Minghao gaped in blatant surprise, wondering. Who is this Jihoon guy? Silently, Minghao watched as Junhui reluctantly invited Jihoon in, stepping aside to make way for the smaller boy. But how? How does he know that Junhui ge’s a vampire? Is he one, too?

 

As Jihoon walked towards the sofa, he glanced lazily at Minghao’s empty place at the dining table. “You actually remembered to feed him.” He drawled, sparing Junhui a pointed glance.

 

“Just cut to the chase, Jihoon sshi.” Junhui instructed instead, not bothering to respond to the shorter boy’s snarky remark. “Why are you here?”

 

Jihoon stared at Junhui, a hint of displeasure at the vampire’s harsh tone on his face but he didn’t push it. Straightening, Jihoon declared, “I’m here because of the recent chain of murders.”

 

“What murders?” Minghao blurted out despite himself.

 

“You don’t know?” Jihoon asked and Minghao meekly nodded his head.

 

People were murdered recently? I didn’t know. Then, Minghao suddenly remembered that the lady at the supermarket had mentioned murders as well. Now that he thought about it, it has been a while since he had contact with the outside world, save yesterday’s trip to the supermarket.

 

Jihoon scoffed softly. “Don’t you let him watch television? Or is he always stuck in your bedroom?”

 

What? You can’t blame Junhui ge, Minghao defended the vampire in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter