two

Don’t Walk in the Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh, this is so exciting!” One of the vampires beamed, showing off his fangs unknowingly. Minghao tried not to squirm; the boy was probably unintentional but it was still weird.

 

Junhui eyed the younger vampire, repeating incredulously. “Exciting?”

 

“Isn’t it?” The same vampire, which Minghao now knew was Chan, asked back. He turned to Minghao and questioned, “isn’t it exciting?”

 

“That impures may be after me and I may lose my life?” Minghao deadpanned, looking like he was dubious as Junhui, and Chan nodded his head enthusiastically, the sarcasm lost on him.

 

“It’s just like a movie!” Chan piped up cheerfully, with the innocence of a child even though he was at least eighteen years old.

 

Sighing in resignation, Minghao weakly answered, “it’s so exciting, really.”

 

“He agrees with me,” Chan pompously declared, glaring at the other vampires. He grabbed hold of Minghao’s arm and after a second’s hesitation, the Chinese boy relaxed from his earlier tense state.

 

“He’s just being polite.” Junhui rolled his eyes but his smile showed that he wasn’t being mean. Chan grinned at the older vampire before launching into a conversation with Minghao who looked quite daunted by the rapid Korean the vampire was spitting out.

 

Opposite them, the other vampire, Soonyoung, laughed at Minghao humouring the younger vampire. Nudging Junhui, Soonyoung shared, “I like this one. You have good taste.”

 

“What are you implying?” Junhui growled back, mildly annoyed by the other’s vampire’s words.

 

Really, must my good and humanitarian act of kindness be mistaken for me intentionally luring the boy to my house and ultimately my bed? The Chinese vampire scowled to himself as he explained.  “An impure bit him and I just happened to pass by and saved him. That’s all to it.”

 

“Is it really?” Soonyoung pressed on teasingly before he lowered his voice so that Minghao couldn’t hear. “You never brought a human back home before.”

 

Disbelieving, Junhui gaped at the younger vampire before hissing back, “he was bitten and bloody. I couldn’t just leave him alone, could I?”

 

“I’m just saying.” Soonyoung grinned, putting his hands up in defence. He spared Minghao, who was engaged in a conversation with Chan, a glance before complimenting, “he looks so young. But he’s very cute, though.”

 

“I know,” Junhui let slipped before he realized who he was speaking to. Soonyoung smirked knowingly but Junhui shot him a warning glare before the other vampire could make another sarcastic remark.

 

“In all honesty, it was kind of you to help him.” Soonyoung remarked in quiet admiration, glancing at Minghao who was smiling at some joke Chan had just made. “It has been so long since you initiated contact with humans. Is this the first time you’ve interacted with a human since Ming—”

 

“Soonyoung,” Junhui scowled, his face suddenly upset. He glared at the younger who immediately became silent, an apologetic expression on his face at his mistake.

 

“I’m so sorry, Junhui.” Soonyoung sincerely apologized, his solemn voice drawing the attention of both Chan and Minghao who glanced over in curiosity. “I didn’t meant to —”

 

Abruptly, Junhui stood up, interrupting Soonyoung, and towered over the three other boys. His face was expression but when he spoke, his voice was hard and steely.

 

“I’m retiring to my bedroom. Leave when you guys want to.” Junhui allowed, not meeting any of their eyes, before starting to make his way to the bedroom.

 

“Wait, Junhui hyung,” Chan called out and when Junhui turned around, he found the younger vampire with his arms locked with Minghao’s and a flash of jealousy shot through him.

 

“Can we bring Minghao hyung out?” The young vampire asked with a wide grin, oblivious to the elder’s gloom.

 

Junhui rest his gaze on their entwined arms and sharply replied, “no. Minghao still stinks of impure. If you guys bring him out, you’re making me an easier target for impures.”

 

Snorting playfully, Chan protested, “we can protect him. Come on, Junhui hyung.”

 

“I already said, no.” Junhui snapped fiercely and both Minghao and Chan looked stunned by his outburst whereas Soonyoung turned his face away, knowing the other vampire’s reason for being upset.

 

Okay. Minghao was confused and he dared not speak. Instead, he eyed Chan from the corner of his eye and gave the younger boy the slightest shake of his head. Don’t, he mouthed.

 

“Oh but who am I to stop him?” Junhui bitterly spoke before dismissing them. He turned around and harshly spat out, “go if you want to, Xu Minghao.”

 

As Junhui stormed into his bedroom, he could hear Chan instantly peppering Soonyoung with questions. “What’s wrong with Junhui hyung? Why is he so angry suddenly?” Upset, Junhui slammed the bedroom door shut loudly.

 

“It’s not your fault,” Soonyoung reassured the younger vampire but his tone was berating and his face downcast. “It’s mine.”

 

“I don’t understand,” Minghao voiced out, his expression of bafflement identical to the one Chan wore on his face. “What did you do, Soonyoung hyung?”

 

Soonyoung diverted his gaze as he confessed to the puzzled boys. “I brought up an unhappy incident. I thought he had already gotten over it but I guess not.”

 

“Oh.” Minghao simply glanced over to the bedroom Junhui had disappeared into. He’s unhappy because of what Soonyoung hyung said.

 

“Come on, Chan, let’s go back.” Soonyoung decided, getting to his feet. “Let’s just leave Junhui alone.”

 

“Alright,” Chan reluctantly answered before promising Minghao, “we’ll hang out another day, okay?”

 

“Sure,” Minghao smiled back sincerely. Despite the whole being a vampire thing, Minghao still thought that Chan was a nice person and they had really clicked during their conversation earlier.

 

Soonyoung turned to face Minghao, a small smile on his face. “Minghao, it was a pleasure to meet you. Don’t mind Junhui and just let him be alone for a while.”

 

Both of them stared at the bedroom and then, Minghao nodded, “I understand, Soonyoung hyung.”

 

“That’s good,” Soonyoung was evidently relieved and he patted Minghao on the shoulder. Minghao followed the two vampires to the apartment door where they bid farewell before the Chinese boy closed and locked the door.

 

The meeting of another two vampires left Minghao rather drained, especially since he has yet to eat anything since the wedding dinner the night before. Minghao went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, only to find it empty of any human food. Instead, there were blood bags after blood bags and Minghao hastily closed the refrigerator shut, as he felt bile rise in his throat.

 

Okay, the refrigerator’s out. Minghao immediately decided when his eyes fall on the telephone beside the sofa. Takeout then.

 

Eagerly, Minghao picked up the receiver and was about to dial the number for his favourite Chinese restaurant when something stuck him. I don’t know the address of the place. Disheartened, Minghao placed the receiver down as his stomach growled loudly.

 

Blushing slightly, Minghao placed a hand on his stomach as he turned to the bedroom Junhui was in. I could ask him for help. But Soonyoung’s advice came back, let him be alone for a while.

 

I can’t disturb Junhui ge. Minghao told himself before finally making up his mind. Without any hesitation, Minghao unlocked the apartment door and stepped out of the apartment.



 

The sky was still a dark cobalt blue and the streets were mainly empty when Minghao stepped onto it. It appeared that Junhui lived in a rather classy place, judging from the doormen that opened the lobby door for Minghao and the general, extravagance of the whole building.

 

Thankfully, Minghao had his wallet with him but another problem had arisen. Junhui’s apartment was located in one of the more affluent and wealthy districts, and the streets were lined with lavish and high-priced restaurants.

 

Where am I going to find a place that’s not going to bankrupt me with one meal? The Chinese boy grumbled as he stuck his pockets into the jeans he was wearing. They belonged to Junhui but was slightly too big for Minghao.

 

Minghao wasn’t sure for how long he had walked down the street, in search of a fairly cheap place to eat, but by the time he had found a Chinese restaurant, the streets were already empty of people. Even the Chinese restaurant was about to close up but on account of Minghao being a fellow Chinese, the lady boss pited Minghao and decided to cook one last bowl of noodles for him before closing up for real.

 

“Thank you, Lady Boss.” Minghao flashed a grateful smile at the older woman who smiled back affectionately.

 

Now full and satisfied, Minghao made his way back to Junhui’s apartment. There was cool breeze and Minghao hugged himself tightly, berating himself, I should have borrowed a jacket from Junhui ge.

 

His footsteps were the only sound in the otherwise silent street and Minghao couldn’t help but hastened his footsteps. Don’t think about impures — Don’t think about impures — Damn it, Minghao, you thought about impures.

 

Forcing himself to walk faster, Minghao brightened up when he glimpsed sight of Junhui’s apartment building, his safe haven, and hurried towards it when there was a hand on his arm.

 

Before Minghao could even open his mouth to scream, he was roughly pulled inside an alley and slammed against the brick wall. The impact caused the Chinese boy to lose his breath and he gasped loudly before there were hands gripping his shoulders, pinning him to the wall. Minghao glanced up in fear and found himself face to face with a man.

 

Or at least, what Minghao initially thought was a man until he bared his bloody fangs at the Chinese boy. It was only then did Minghao finally noticed the dried and flesh blood evident around the vampire’s mouth and his blood stained clothes. There was no sign of civility found in the vampire and through his fear, Minghao came to the only logical conclusion.

 

Impure.



 

It was past midnight when Junhui finally remembered that he wasn’t alone in the apartment but he, in fact, actually had a living human who needed food to survive staying with him.

 

He needs food, doesn’t he? Junhui realized with a start, forcing himself to his feet. A pang of guilt stabbed the brown haired boy as he opened the bedroom door. Now that I think about it, he hasn’t ate anything the whole time he was here, has he?

 

“Minghao,” Junhui called out tentatively upon not seeing the Chinese boy in the living room. There was no response and uneasiness started to build up within Junhui, and he started to yell, “Minghao, where are you? Minghao!”

 

The remaining two bedrooms and the kitchen were empty of people and Junhui began to panic. He glanced at the apartment door and cursed under his breath. That brat. He went out even after I said not to.

 

Why is he endangering his life foolishly? Junhui growled lowly in frustration as gestured around the apartment entrance. Minghao’s scent was faint but it was still enough to tell Junhui that the Chinese boy has indeed left the apartment. Why are all humans so stupid?

 

In a flash, Junhui switched to his vampiric speed before flinging the apartment door open. Without a moment’s hesitation, the vampire dashed out of his apartment and raced down the apartment building to prevent himself from losing another human.



 

Minghao tried to scream but even before he could even open his mouth, the vampire was already clamping it with a hand that reeked strongly of blood.  No, no, no. Junhui ge, help! Someone, help! Minghao thought fiercely in his head as well struggled weakly against the vampire’s hold.

 

“You smell so good,” the vampire leered at the defenceless Minghao as he sniffed at his exposed neck. In return, Minghao instinctively only turned his head away but that o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter