Mr Wang

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My high heels were clattering down the hallway, as I nervously tremble out of the interview room. It was cold and tense atmosphere filled the air, engulfing me. The interviewers weren’t necessarily pleasing as well. They looked exhausted after multiple interviews before mine was held. I’m uncertain of my spot in this company but I do know that the interview went rather smooth. I hope luck is on my side today and that miraculously, I’m getting the internship, beating the other 10 interviewees. That seems rather impossible isn’t it?

 

At least getting this job will end my gas station career and sufferings. And the pay is good too. I need the earnings to pay for my rent and expenses. Mum is helping out with the school fees but then I feel like I’ve burdened her enough. Maybe with this job I can finally start paying tuition fees without her help. That’s the definition of independent isn’t it? I’m independent enough at the age of twenty-three.

 

Let’s hope for the best. That’s all I can do now.

 

Surrounded by office workers gave me chills and anxiety. I wonder if I can fit in after I get the job. Women with pencil skirts and blouses while the men in formal wear and dress shirts. There and then, I was lost in my thoughts, not noticing a man in front of me. As I walked down the hall with my resumes and portfolios clenched tightly to my chest. My unbreaking gaze to the floor kept from noticing from noticing the man who was in front of me; strolling down the hall.

 

Before noticing the change of pace the man was walking, I landed on his back with my face glued on his black trench coat. I was lost for words, but mainly,I turned red; embarrassed that it happened in public. Adding to the public humiliation, I lost my balance with this red stilettos on and fell into misery. The landing on the wasn’t as painful as the pitiful stares, the workers gave me as they walked past. But their stares disappear upon laying eyes on the man in front of me.

 

“God, my resumes!” I yelped. I didn’t quite register the pain on my back just yet. Tentatively, I was more concerned that my papers were raining down on the ground, white sheets covering the floors. I regained my composure as I collected the sheets in a record time with my already flushed face. It was a good thing my lengthy hair shielded me from the judgemental stares that will soon haunt me in my sleep.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter