How To End An Unrequited Love

Chasing Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Listening to the powerful beat of the bass feels me with warmth through the headphones. It floods through my blood, almost changing the beat of my heart matching with its own. The headphones split us apart from reality. It echoes from the headphones into my own hollowed world - into my lonely world, adding colour to my sorrows. I lived for music.There was something about music that makes it seems as there’s liquid energy seeping right through my skin. It flows through my veins and swirls in my head, plastering a smile on my face. It makes my fingers drum and my feet tap. The great thing about music is that it didn't save your life, it gave you strength and willpower to save your own life; that's the beauty of music. That’s how music saved me.

 

Sure, I lost someone dear.

 

But music never left me.

 

Humming, back to the world, headphones on, I leant on the tree at the campus park while waiting for my 2pm lecture to begin. Since it is only 1, I thought of hanging out around campus for a while. It was nice being surrounded by nature and music. What more would I ask for?

 

“Jungkook?” A soft, familiar voice accompanied the hand that rested on my shoulder.

 

I flinched away from the impact of the sudden heavy hand that dug into my shoulder. I had never liked being touched, especially from behind. I leapt from my sitting position and spun around to face Eunji Noona facing me with deer like eyes with her fingers still resting on my shoulder.

 

“Oh, noona.”, I spoke after I gained composer. Well, she is my first love slash ex-tutor slash my best friend’s girlfriend. It was complicated but after removing myself from the equation, they both found happiness and I decided their happiness mattered more than mine.

 

But I never regretted my decision.

 

“Did I startled you? Sorry,” she said in a wispy voice as her eyes formed a crescent, as her smile created creases near the eyelids at my reaction. The way her lips lifted upward. The way her one dimple crinkles. Just like how music gave me warmth, her smile unexpectedly caused the similar warmth rushing through me.

 

“Kind of,” I muttered.

 

Ever since she got together with Namjoon (credits to me for being the one to help them out by telling Namjoon hyung Eunji Noona’s true feelings) our friendship became rather distant. It was not because I hated her presence nor was it because I’m being salty. I just didn’t want to cause any more emotional pain towards myself. I've been pushing back against pain for so long and seeing her … it breaks me. Emotional pain leaves invisible scars, yet they can be traced by the most gentle of touch. And seeing Noona, it uncovers those buried pain.

 

“You want to join Namjoon and I after lecture ends? We’re going to have some yoghurt.” She said, enthusiastically despite knowing that I would end up turning down the offer. I’ve done this countless of times but I guess she didn’t get the memo, apparently. God, for once I wished she knew the pain I felt every time I hang out with them. I rec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter