Chapter 2

Obedience

The car stops by Empire High School and the chauffeur walks to the backseat and opens the door for Eva and Steph. It's only been a week since the family moved to Korea. Wasting no time, their father enrolls the two in the school. Empire High School is one of the top school in Korea. Labeled as a branded school, it's no doubt that most of the students are from wealthy families. Which means there will be situations where rich brats tormenting the ones that are considered not the same class as them. Horrifying scenes like these only happen in drama, but being the naive person Eva is, she has no idea what is yet to come.

Eva smoothens the beige skirt, fixes the navy blazer and adjusts the straps of her backpack. Even their uniform costs around a million Won. "Remember what I said, Eva. Act like strangers when we're around the school." As the words sink into Eva's ear, she immediately turns away like Steph wants. "Hey! I haven't finish my words. Come back." She turns on her heels at the order. "Never tell anyone that I'm your sister. I don't want to see you following and clinging onto me. You understand?" Eva nods to her words. When Steph walks ahead of her, Eva can't put her feet to walk behind her as they are suppose to head to the same direction. The magic is working on her effectively. That is until Steph disappears from Eva's sight then she can head to the administrative office. 

Eva grabs a pen from the officer's table when she was told to fill out general forms and signing an agreement. "Here's your schedule. Class starts at eight. You might want to walk around the school compound now just to make sure you won't get lost and late for your classes." The officer smiles politely and Eva returns her with the same one.

Empire High School has a strict class system. For the first class, it is for the heirs to business conglomerates, where Eva and Steph were put at. Second class: stockholder heirs. They won't end up running entire companies, but come with lives fully loaded and pre-paved. Third class: reputation heirs. These are the children of congressmen, generals, and other powerful people. And the fourth and final class, which is the charity class. It is the ignition of sparks where the weak ones being made fun of by the upper classes.

The tour around school took her quite some time. Conversations of other students about stocks status and luxury where Eva has no idea about floats around her. She feels a little uncomfortable and uneasy when people murmuring and scanning over her direction. "Is she new? I've never seen her before." "I wonder what class she's in." 

"Watch out!" Someone shouts from behind. A ball bounces off Eva's head, making her falls forward in shock. "Oh God, I'm so sorry." The boy crouches down and stares at Eva in pity as she clutches the back of her head in pain from the sudden strong impact. Who the hell plays basketball at this early in the morning? She curses. He offers her his hand, hoping that it can at least helps the girl out, but Eva rejects coolly by standing on her own. She tries to compose herself but her surrounding is spinning in her head and it feels like she will pass out any second. "Are you okay? Does it hurt that bad?" He shakes her on the shoulders. He's seriously not helping. "Urgh." Eva groans. "I'll.. I'll bring-" "Mark! Come on! What are you doing over there?" Some boys from the basketball court shout, she assumes they are his friends. "I'm really really sorry. I'll pay for your medical expenses or you can throw the ball at me as many time as you wish. Just tell me if something really does happen, my name is Mark, from class 3-1. Gotta go!" And then he runs off to his friends. The boy somehow looks familiar to Eva.


Eva goes to her classroom. Twenty pairs of eyes staring back at hers. Their form teacher, Ms. Park makes her introduces herself. And she did it, with her broken Korean. "Annyeonghasaeyo, my name is Evianna Lee." The silence from the class urges her to continue. "Nice to meet you?" She says, more of like a question. Out of curiosity, students start to bombard her with questions. "How did you get into this school?" "What kind of business do your parents do?" It leads to a long awkward silence because Eva doesn't know what they were saying. 

Ms. Park assigned a seat for Eva at the back of the classroom. The second after she sits on the chair, her seat mate leans over and examines her with his big doe eyes. "Hi, I'm Jackson. Wang Jackson." The boy gives her a cheeky smile. The close proximity makes the girl feels timid. She leans backward and chuckles awkwardly. Jackson is an Olympic athlete from Hong Kong. That's all she knows about him so far. His nonstop blabbering is half blessing and annoyance to her. First of all she feels grateful that he's so delighted to introduce himself, at the same time she doesn't really understand his words even though his Korean has that funny accent.


The last bell for the day finally rings. Students begin to pack their bags, leaving the classroom. Eva walks out the school hall after putting some of her books in her locker. The school hours are better than she thought. The other students are somehow being very nice to her, maybe it's for the fact that she's from the first class. Despite that, she spent her lunch break by herself. Even though she assures herself that she doesn't mind it, at time like this, she misses Lacey the most. If Eva is to be given a time machine, she will kidnap Lacey, stuffs her in a luggage and brings her along to Korea. Eva almost wants to cry at the thought of her best friend, she didn't even get to say her last goodbye due to the sudden change of flight schedule. 

Branded cars lining at the front of the school, chauffeurs standing aside while waiting to pick up the kids. Unfortunately for Eva, she has to wait for another ride because just like Steph said, she doesn't want people to know that they are siblings, and thus Steph says she will have to leave first. Eva kicks the pebbles while waiting 'patiently' for the car to arrive, she can't wait to go home actually. A bump on the shoulder broke her train of thoughts. "Sorry." The person mumbles with a familiar voice. "Oh, ball! It's you!" Mark's eyes twinkle when he recognizes the girl. A sense of guilt and embarrassment washes over when he notices the innocent look of the girl. "How's your head? Is it still painful?" "Guess you prefer to be silent huh? I'll remain quiet too." It's not that I don't want to speak. "I don't understand what you're saying." Eva blurted in English, expecting that Mark to not understand and leave her alone, but he does, and he stares at the girl with his widen eyes. "Ow... That's why you're ignoring me the whole time. Wow, nice to meet you. Where are you from?" Mark continues with his fluent English, that caught Eva off guard. "States." "Okay... but wow! I finally found someone that speaks English well besides Jackson and Bambam." He sighs. "So, what class are you in?" "3-1." "We're in the same class! But I've never seen you in class today, did you skip?" I've never seen you either. "What's your name?" He can't stay put, just like Jackson, at least he's a titbit better. "I've introduced myself in front of the class." "I was probably sleeping that time." He smiles sheepishly. He's been sleeping for the whole day. "..." "Tell me." Mark orders. "Evianna Lee." "A beautiful name for a beautiful girl." Eva can't help but blush at his words. No one ever says that to her. He's the first. "Thanks." 


As Eva gets off the car, a car passes by at the road and it pulls over at her neighbor's house. A boy wearing the same school uniform as hers gets off too and heads to the door. The figure viewed from the back looks so familiar to Eva, she's 100% sure that she's seen him before. Eva puts that thought aside and enters the house. Steph is already pigging out on the couch, not even bothering to greet her sister. Eva walks to her room and stays inside like she always does. When she's about to change her clothes, she realizes that the curtains are pulled back. Walking to the window to close it, there she sees the figure again. Just opposite her room. The more she looks at the boy, the more she's getting curious.