Chapter 6

Obedience

"What do you think of Eva?" Jackson asks while throwing the darts like a pro. It's still early in the morning and classes start an hour later. The seven boys have gathered in their secret hangout like usual, which is one of the dorm rooms in the school. Non of the boys stay there but they kind of blackmailed the resident assistant to allow them to have a room for themselves. The room is huge and they renovated it into a place for games and entertainment, a king size bed is placed inside just in case one of them wanted to take a nap. 

"Why do you ask?" Mark plops himself on the bed and pulls out a Playboy magazine under the pillows. He flips through it without any interest, slightly turned off and disgusted by the amount of girls published in the magazine. Who even bought this? "You two seem to hang out a lot lately. Are you guys a package now?" The other boys perk up their ears with the mention of Jackson's word, eavesdropping their conversation. They pray silently, hoping that the answer is positive. "What are you even saying?" Mark shrugs off the question. He creases his eyebrows while focusing on drawing a dress for the exposed model. "I'll make a move on her if you don't. She doesn't say no to me anyway." Jaebum provokes. How much the boys want to see their one true pairing get together. They are ready to pop all the champagnes and fireworks to celebrate the day. "Not on my watch." Mark slams the magazine to the latter's face. It's actually terrifying for them to see the eldest outraged, but this time they are more than happy. They cheer in unison. "This is a good sign!" 


"Move over!" Yugyeom orders like the rebel maknae he is. The boys shift on their seats until the desired arrangement has been settled. Mark and Eva are side by side with the others sandwiching them, while Bambam sits next to Mia. "The table is not that small. Go away!" Mark pushes Jinyoung on his shoulders, while eyeing Jaebum intently with his sharp eyes. His every moves getting on his nerves, it's like he is trying to test his patience. If he wasn't his friend, he would flip out right on the spot, but Mark knows it too well that he's doing it intentionally. 

"I heard that we're doing the same assignment, why don't we finish it together?" Jaebum suggests, he moves his fork to Eva's mouth, wanting to feed her the strawberry. "That's nice! I was searching for a partner too since I don't understand some of the instructions actually." From the side, Mark has been listening to their dialogue carefully, he has to hold back himself when Jaebum constantly plotting to keep Eva close by his side, it only irritates him more when the girl acts so innocently, he's also ticked off by the endless bickering between Jackson and Jinyoung, not to mention the noise Bambam and Mia were making, Youngjae's horrible singing in English and Yugyeom's over exaggerated laugh. Mark pushes Eva against the back of the chair and leans forward to engulf the fruit in one bite. "Mmmm... It's sweet," muffling his words. Jaebum has to glare at him when he lets out a victorious grin. "We're doing the same one too..." Mark points between him and Eva, and motions a house posture to her, dropping a hint that they'll do it either in his or her house. 


"You were serious about it?" Eva walks around the alley between the bookshelves with Mark trailing behind like a puppy. "Of course I am. This is the only subject I'm struggling to pass." He pulls out a novel and flips through it. Interesting. When he lifts his head up, Eva is already walking ahead of him. Thinking that he was talking to himself, but she heard his intention. "So you're trying to use me!" Her emotions showing with the frown forming on her face. She's slowly opening up to him as time goes by, before that Mark used to call her the 'Ice Princess' and always asking if she's constipated for the last three years because her face looks stiff all the time. Such gentleman. "No. I am not." He raises his hand in a gesture, swearing to God. I'm just trying to get you away from that thirsty wolf. "Whatever you say. But no more next time." She sits on a table at the far end of the library, it's one of those typical spots where students avoid to sit for no specific reason. It feels more comfortable with just the two of them, the whir of air conditioner sounds relaxing, it calms their senses. "I don't wish to be taken for granted." She mumbles the word and yawns a little. "I'm not that kind of person, Eva." Mark pulls the chair, his carelessness making the legs let out a screech. He whispers a short "sorry" when Eva hisses from the loud noise. "I don't know. A person can be stabbed in the back by a friend of ten years, a responsible police officer can betray his unit by involving in a bribery." She takes out a pen from her pencil box and starts jotting down notes in her notebook, already working on the assignment. "You don't trust people easily, do you?" "I don't and I never will." Mark is taken aback by her answer. What has gotten into the girl to make her think so negatively? Was it because of her parents? Friends? Perhaps, boyfriend? He can't seem to figure it out. This is when he realizes that he doesn't know a lot about the girl, it's always him expressing himself. Eva notices the questioning face then try to shrug him off from the mystery. "This is why I don't trust you. You aren't even doing anything." She points to his empty table, her eyes adverting and fixes on the novels under a thick documentary. "And these." Mark smiles sheepishly and scratches the back of his neck in apology. 

Eva sighs and stands up from her seat to wander through the shelves again to get something real useful for the assignment, while Mark following behind silently. Suddenly the lights go out and air conditioners stop running. She hears the rustling sound of keys and footsteps walking away. When she squints her eyes to read the clock, it's already five in the evening. The library is closed, but non of the librarians notify them probably because they assume that the tables where they sit at is empty. "I'll go see if there's any way we can get out of here." She proceeds to leave but the only person beside pulls on her wrist tightly. She looks over his face and she sees his eyes dilating, a layer of sweat forming on his forehead. Pure fear written on his face. Don't tell me he's scared of the dark? "Don't leave me." He utters, lips trembling and his grip tighten on her. He makes a lunge at her and pulls her into a hug, it's almost suffocating. "Mark, are you okay?" She asks worriedly, seeing him acting like this for the first time surely shocks her. She tries to pry off his arms to look at him but he doesn't let go, instead he buries his face in her neck. "What's wrong with you?" The loud thunder from the outside is not helping his condition at all. Mark breathes heavily on her neck, hot air tickling her skin.

Deadly silence in the pitch black library, only the sound of Mark's heavy breathing and rubbing of fabric of Eva's hand on his back, trying to soothe him. A strike of lighting lights up the room, follow by a roar of thunder. Mark squeezes both his eyes and arms. He looks so pitiful. Eva holds him, her comforting voice murmurs beside his ears telling him that everything is okay. They stay like that for thirty minutes. An hour. Eva manages to dial the number to the guard using the phone on the reference desk with Mark still clinging onto her. 

Soon after, the door is finally opened. The guard examines the both of them and stares in pity. Faces flush from the heat. "The librarian informed me that the place closes earlier for today, guess she didn't put up a notice on the door." That explains. The library usually closes at six. He checks the library for the last time then locks it. "Since you guys are safe, I'll leave now." Eva thanks him. At least he's kind enough not to scold them.

"Drink some water." Eva offers her bottle to him, their hands still holding each other. Mark gulps down the water. His condition is better now, but he's still a bit off. He doesn't speak a word and daydreams a lot while waiting for his transport to arrive. It seems like he's thinking a lot in his mind. Little droplets of rain fall down from the roof into a puddle, the water reflecting his blank face. A strange force rejects Eva to pull back her hand. She wants to comfort him. She wants to stay by his side. She wants to make sure he is okay. She doesn't want to leave him. It's like Mark has put her under a spell, she's attracted to him. On the other side, Mark has no idea why he did that, he could've handled it very well but he lets her sees his weak side. He's not ashamed, he's more than glad he did that, without hiding anything from her. Unknowingly, they are attracted to each other.

His transport arrives few minutes later, the chauffeur comes out from the driver seat and walks to the other side of the car and opens the door for him. Mark holds onto her hand, "Wanna follow?" It's the first sentence he spoke after the incident, the softness of his voice melts her. He doesn't want to let go, neither does she. "I'll see you later. Promise." She lets go and gives him an assuring smile. They are going to see each other later. But where? Only they know about it.