Chapter 4

Obedience

Eva walks down the hallway with her new friend, Mia. They just met in the morning while they were wandering around the library. She is an outgoing person, never shies away from people. "Hi, my name is Mia. What's yours?" She whispered into Eva's ears. The girl was reading the synopsis from the back of a book and the sudden voice made her flinch. She introduced herself timidly, staring back at the pair of big doe eyes behind the round glasses. "How was school last week? Heard that you're a newbie." Mia asked while scanning over the book spines, eyes twinkled when she found the book she was searching for, The Guinness World Records 2015. "Aha, found it! The books here are so boring, don't you think? Business. Law. Economics." She gagged dramatically, making Eva laughed at her actions. She's weird. "This one is my favorite. Come sit here with me." She pulled Eva to a nearby table and they sat there until the morning bell rang. "We should hang out more." Mia suggested. 

A high pitched voice stopped the two on their tracks. "Hey Mia, hooking up on a first class now?" A girl with brown blonde hair walks over with her friends, laughing and staring at the girl in pity, their branded high heels clacking on the floor. Valentino, Alexander McQueen, Badgley Mischka, Christian Louboutin and Aperlai. Is that even legal in this school? Dear Eva, you ain't seen nothing yet. "What's your name?" The first girl asks and points with her well manicured nails. Eva contemplates. "Whatever. I don't want to know it anyway." She purses her lips and averts her eyes to the shorter girl, "See you at lunch." The group of Barbies smirk and walks away with their swaying hips. 

"I'll wait for you outside the cafeteria during lunch break!" Mia shouts while walking backwards. Curiosity kills the cat, Eva wonders what the girls were talking about. 

"Ahoi mate!" Jackson greets before Eva can take her seat. "Who was that girl? Your friend?" He asks, referring to Mia. "Finally get to see you in the class now." Mark interrupts, leans over, crowding into her space. Eva is unable to move an inch with the two squishing over. "Hey, I met her first!" Jackson attempts to push Mark away. He needs to fight for his rights. "What are you saying? Obviously I'm the one that knew her first! I knocked her out with a basketball!" Mark fights back, pulling the girl on her arms. That's ridiculous. The two continue to annoy each other, and Eva, until the teacher comes in. "You'll see." Jackson gives him the I'm-watching-you gesture, Mark sticks out his tongue in return. Oh God, they are so childish. The whole class session is like a comedy show, with the two making faces to each other from time to time. They even caught the attention of the other classmates, boys laughing along while girls staring at Eva in envy. "Want to join us during lunch break? You should meet my other friends too." Mark suggests. "Yeah. They are cool like us." Jackson winks. More teenage boys with the mind of an infant? No thanks. It will be a total chaos. Besides that she already agreed to spend the time with Mia. "Awwwwwww." They drag out in chemistry. "You can bring your friend along. We don't bite." "Your friend is our friend too!" So now I'm considered as their friend too? That's quick. "How about you have the whole upcoming week with us?" Jackson suggests this time. "Promise me." Mark supports him. Eva can't reject with Mark ordering her, she must obey. "See! She listens to me." He says in pure joy. Am not! 


"Oh my gosh! They look so good." Mia squeals and scoops a big spoonful of chicken curry, pork lychee salad and a baked stuffed lobster tail onto her plate. "This is my favorite time of the day!" 

Eva and Mia sit at the small round table beside the windows. They talk while munching their food, well Mia did most of the talking. Seemingly they've known each other for a long time. 

"She's over there." 

Suddenly, a pile of students walk over to their table, snobbish smirk plastered on their faces. "You do know you aren't suppose to sit here, Mia." A brown blonde hair slams her hand on the table and glares at Mia. She is the girl they met earlier in the morning. We'll call her blondie for now. Blondie signals her friends and they pull Mia up from her seat, they drag her by the collar and force her to sit on one of the table that was arranged in the middle of the cafeteria. Eva kind of caught up that the table is a specific seat for the fourth class. "Enjoy the show." Blondie's friend whispers in Eva's ear. With that, they remove Mia's hand from her plate and pour the food onto her uniform. The sauce of the curry staining her white button up shirt. Eva stares at them in horror when each of them begin to dispense their own plate of food onto Mia. "Oops! My hand slipped." A guy flicks his wrist and spills his cup of pomegranate juice over Mia's head. "This is what you get for spreading malicious rumors about me," blondie hisses in the girl's ear. "and this," she dips her hand into a bowl of cream mushroom soup and smears the thick liquid onto Mia's face. "is for talking back at me." She pulls out a handkerchief from her blazer and wipes her dirtied hand. "You should've spoken nicely to me at the first place, otherwise this won't happen." Eva catches a glimpse of the blondie's name tag when she looks over her direction. "Lastly, stay in your line. Keep in mind that you're from the fourth class." Jess warns Mia. Eva sits on her spot throughout the whole scene, clearly she's forced to watch and be entertained from it, pushing herself to form a smile on her face. She finds it more ridiculous when Mia just sits there without speaking a word. This is too much! Eva wants to walk over and stop them, but she can't do it with the spell working on her. She struggles to repress the spell, squirming in her seat, but failing to do so. 

"Get up." A deep voice says and Eva stands up, she is then pulled away from the scene by the strong grip.

"Let me go!" Eva attempts to release her wrist. "Calm down! You don't want to be involved with them, do you?" Mark says steadily and drops the hand that was holding her wrist. "That's why I told you to come with me during lunch." "You knew about this all along?" She asks in disbelief. Why didn't he tell me! "No, no, no! What I meant is, all this thing wouldn't have happened if you and your friends were with me. And my friends." They walk around the cafeteria, heading to somewhere. Eva has to increase her pace to catch up with Mark. That boy does have really long legs. "So you and your friends are being Jesus now?" "You talked a lot today. That's a good thing." Mark stops on his footsteps abruptly, making Eva bumps her face against his back. "What-" "Since you'd finish your lunch and class starts in forty minutes, I'll bring you to meet my friends." "No, I don't want to. I'm going back to Mia." She turns around but Mark is one step earlier to grab her hand. "Stop." Eva freezes on the spot, she curses inwardly. "Just once alright. I promise that it will be fun with the guys. Plus they've always wanted to meet my new friend." Mark wriggles his eyebrows at the girl. "Whatever." Eva rolls her eyes. "They are going to be so happy." Mark pulls her again on her hand, but Eva doesn't budge. "Why aren't you moving?" It's the spell, stupid! "What now? Do you need a red carpet? A royal treatment?" Just tell me to move! But if you insist... "Do lead the way, your majesty." Mark bends and gesture her to walk ahead in a royal manner. Eva holds her skirt, bends her knees and bows her head at him. "Why thank you." 

"That's so cute." Mark says to himself when Eva walks at the front. 


"Mark-hyung's girlfriend is here!" A boy with plump lips hollers, he looks much more younger. "SHE IS NOT!" Jackson yells at him. "Mark-hyung always talk about her!" "I DID NOT!" Mark clarifies and the three of them start to debate. While the other four sit there quietly, it's like they are already used to it. "Guys guys! Snap out of it!" 

"So these are my friends that I told you about." Mark points and introduces each of them to Eva, "You meant we." Jackson corrects him. Eva just nods along, faking that she's actually listening and memorizing their names. They are even more confusing than the Korean phrases that she learnt. She even find one of their names weird. Bambam? What kind of language is that? The seven of them are from the first class. It seems like the students here only hang out with their same class. Three of them are of the same age as Eva, while the other four are one and two years younger than her. At least some of them are way more better than Mark and Jackson. They look so fine though. 

"Jackson-hyung told us a lot about you too," Yugyeom opens up, "he said you're very pretty and... big..." It turns out he really wasn't that innocent. They corrupted him. Eva turns crimson red when the seven of them stare at her chest. She crosses her arms above her upper body as a signal for them to look away. "You guys are disgusting! Look away!" Mark waves his hand in front of their faces. As if you weren't one of them watching! 

Eva had a lot of fun talking to the boys. They already treat her like their own sister and shares secrets of Mark to the girl, while Jackson bugging them to expose his too. That boy was hella jealous. But if you were to offer Eva to join them again, her answer will be a big fat no. They might be really nice but they sure are crazy. Eva is a quiet and reserved type of person, she finds it rather difficult to talk to them. They exaggerates almost everything and their conversations are always out of topic! From a pot of kimchi stew to fetus Mark wearing a pink tutu because his mother mistaken him as his sister. A well known cafe house in Hongdae to Jackson receiving a Chanel makeup set from his parents' friend because his name in Cantonese sounds so much like a girl. A clock on the wall of the cafeteria to Jaebum's phoenix eyes. She got carried away by them to the point she'd forgotten about Mia. As much as Eva doesn't want to hang out with them, she did promise Mark, and it's one of the spell casted on her, she can't disobey it. 

"I guess we'll see you around the school?" They suggest, in hopes for Eva to join them during lunch breaks. "Yeah." She smiles sheepishly.