Chapter 9

Obedience

"He's looking." "He's looking over here." "Mark's looking at you." Mia repeats with full. She feeds herself a spoonful and checks on the boys' table, the deed in repetition. It's been going on over and over again to the point where the latter becomes frustrated, having no idea why she is even doing it in the first place. Mia slams her spoon on the table, making a loud thud and causing heads turn to their table. "I don't understand, Eva. Like seriously. You guys never kissed and what's the point of you two avoiding each other? Or maybe it's just only you." From afar, the seven boys continue to watch in amuse as Mia lectures the girl, Mark tries to eavesdrop their conversation but their tables are just too far apart, he has to read their lips instead, he needs to know what's in Eva's mind. "Screw this. I can't stand the two of you being like this anymore. Come with me." No matter how bad does Eva wants to go against her words, she has no choice but to follow. She walks behind Mia while the girl pulls on her hand, bringing the both of them to the boys' table. "Hey guys, I was wondering if I can borrow Mark for awhile? We need to have a discussion on our assignment." She fakes an excuse but they are smart to catch her drift, except Mark. "Sure, of course! Mark has been waiting for you guys to come over actually." Jackson follows along and pushes him away from his seat. Do we really have an assignment to do? Aren't we from different classes? Oh gosh Mia...

There's almost half an hour until classes begin again so Mia decides that why not they go to the library instead, a place where it's quiet and peaceful, just perfect for a ''discussion''. Little did they know that the other six are trailing behind. "You two go look for the book while I..." Mia eyes around with her skillful act, such a drama queen, and drifted away slowly, keeping a sly smile on her face. She happened to whisper a threatening order to Eva while they were on their way to the library. "Don't even think about leaving before the two of you are back to normal.

The two walk side by side awkwardly through the aisles in the library, wandering around without sharing a word. The atmosphere is not helping with their situation at all, they are nearly suffocating from the silence and discomfort. Eva decides to settle down between the bookshelves, it makes her more nervous to have Mark sitting cross legged in front of her. She fidgets with the end of her skirt and scans around the book spines, trying her best not to make any eye contacts with the boy. Sensing that the girl is still not looking at him, he attempts to clear his throat in order to catch her attention. "H-how was the spaghetti? I-I meant, lunch. Yeah lunch. How was lunch today?" Eva's still ignoring him just so she can get over this immediately, she lowers her head instead. But what Mark says next makes her lose her cool and she lets out soft giggles. "It was good. I like the sauce and the meatballs." How pathetic was he to answer his own question. It seems like he didn't catch her laughter and he throws his head back, heaving a huge sigh in despair. What am I suppose to say? He groans mentally. He side glances at Eva and surprisingly she's watching him, like finally. Blood creeps to her cheeks immediately when Mark continues to bore his gaze into her with his bedroom eyes. 

"Mind telling me?" He questions Eva, his tone filled with sadness, sorrow and heartbreaks. "Why are you avoiding me?" 

I wasn't. "I-It's.. it's just what happened during the camp-" She stutters on her words, the scene flashes across her mind and she feels embarrassed again. 

"What happened during the camp... was a mistake." Ouch. His straightforwardness leaves a deep cut in her. It gives her the message that there was never mutual feelings between them and she should keep a distance with him. There are two things that can't be taken back, the sped arrow and the spoken word. Mark regrets immediately when he sees the look in her eyes, she's just as broken. "No, no. What I meant is that I shouldn't have done that as I never consider your feelings or how you feel about me, or it. I should've ask for your permission so things wouldn't turn out like this. I'm truly sorry if you feel uncomfortable or even disgusted..." He cringe at his own words. How sorry must he has felt to spill this all out. 

"Dude, what is he even saying?" Jackson nearly went bald from running his hand through his hair. The younger ones had to stop him from charging forward and slaps the daylight out of him. He couldn't believe what are the words that are coming out from his bestfriend. It could've been a great chance for him to confess his true feelings. It seems like the ship for their ultimate OTP is slowly sinking. "What are you guys doing in here?" Mia whispers behind them. All of them are doing a good job peeking the couple through the books. "Listening to what that rascal has to say. He totally screwed things up." 

"Mark... you're assuming things again. It's not what you think it is. I'm totally fine with it I guess... You're a great person, and a good friend of mine. I don't want our friendship to fall apart just because of what had happened." 

"He just got friendzoned." Junior throws his hands up in disappointment. "That's not how we taught him..." Jaebum mutters.

Mark only nods in return. At some point he's torn that Eva only sees him as a friend, nothing more than that. "I guess we're good now?" He stands up from his seat and offers a hand to her, as recess time is almost finished. "Yeah." Eva gives his hand a light squeeze to assure him. 

"Show is over, let's go now." "Wait! Look!" Bambam ushers them to go back to their positions. They lean forward to the bookshelf only to see an unfamiliar guy bumping Eva by accident and making the books in his hand to sprawl across the floor. 

"I'm sorry." The new face mutters lowly. His voice sounds rather familiar to Eva, and she bends down to lend him a helping hand, absentmindedly picking up an unfinished portrait of a female. Mark only watches from behind and took a glimpse of the art piece, he kind of recognizes the person of the portrait. He's kind of creepy to me. Eva glances the boy for awhile and pays a little more attention to his name tag, it reads Nam Joohyuk. I've seen him somewhere, or heard his name before. 

"Who is he? Why is she helping him?" Jackson hisses in disbelief, his voice almost too loud. "Throw it away!" When Eva's about to hand a book to the boy, it suddenly flies across the room with a flick of her wrist. Mark and the new face turns to her right away, obviously shock of what she did, including the boys and Mia that are hiding behind the shelf. Eva's eyes widen, surprised by her own actions too, she examines her hand. What was that? With a frown still plastering on her face, she whips her head around in search for the source of the voice.

"I was just joking and wasn't expecting her to do that!" Jackson laughs hysterically, and the boys join him, amused.  

"I-I'm sorry." When Eva hands him back the book, their hands brush a little and the boy flinches. His voice trembles when he thanks her, and then sprints away.

The both then leaves the library as class is about to begin. Mark and Eva walk down the hallway in silence, but it is not an uncomfortable kind of silence. While Mark walks behind her, he begins to observe the girl, growing suspicious of her. Mark strongly believes and assures that he did hear a voice in the library just now, but he wasn't sure who was it and how did that voice has an effect on her. Am I assuming things again? He decides to throw away the thoughts instead.