Chapter 1

Obedience

The clock strikes at midnight, Eva finally takes off her apron after spending almost an hour cleaning the cafe. She leaves afterwards before locking the door. Eva insisted on working at a cafe even though she has a wealthy 'family' supporting her back. Eva is an orphan and she was adopted by the Lee family at the age of fifteen. She had a difficult time adjusting to the family as their only daughter, Steph was always being mean and harsh towards her. Steph is acknowledged by other people for her beauty, but she is hot-tempered and spiteful, just like the stepsisters in Cinderella. The reason behind Steph's attitude was the treatment of her biased parents. She always thought that the adopted child has replaced her. 

As Eva steps into the house, the family members are seen gathering at the living room, probably waiting for her to come back. Eva approaches them and just as she expected, Steph is already glaring at her. "You should just give up on that dirty work of yours. Just look at yourself, you look like a mess and your body is covered with sweat. Ew!" The girl rolls her eyes when their parents chip in to scold her. Always shielding her. She thought. 

"Eva darling, come sit down. Your father has an announcement to make." Eva walks to the sofa as her mother orders and she holds onto the girl's hand like her life depends on it, she loves her that much. "So, what I wanted to say is that the firm is given an opportunity to franchise overseas. Which means we are making more profit, and that's a good thing. For that being said, we're moving to Korea next month." Steph squeals immediately at his words. It has always been a dream for the girl to stay in that specific city as she is one of those diehard K-pop fans. Living in her own world full of fantasies, marrying her oppa is her life goals. "I can't wait for the day to come! I love you daddy!" Steph jumps to her father's arms and gives him a big smooch on the cheeks, making the man smile in adore. "You should start packing soon. It's late now kids, you can go back to your room." 

Wow. Moving to Korea? That's new for Eva, this indicates that she's going to have her first airplane ride. The thought of it makes her excited. The term 'moving' means that she has to adapt to new environment, culture, food, people, and even the language. As amazing as it sounds, sadness hits her like a hard rock when she realizes that she's leaving her one and only best friend, Lacey. Eva has no idea what she's going to do without her, she's just like her other half. Does this mean she has to put this friendship to an end? Not necessary. 

For the following days of the month, Eva and Steph have been busy packing their things. Their father even pay a Korean teacher to come to their house and teach them the foreign language. 


The plane finally touches down after a 15 hours long flight. The journey was less than Eva expected. The only word that could describe it is 'boring'. Her body almost went numb for her bottom to plant on the cushion for that long period of time. At least the food was quite nice.

Eva walks down the flight of stairs and looks around her surrounding. She inhales deeply and lets out a long sigh. This is it. Korea. The other family members follow along, not to mention Steph's exaggeration. She's literally dancing in joy, probably kissing the floor the next minute. From the side, Eva sees her father patting the pilot on his shoulder as a sign of appreciation. The answer is yes if it's what you're thinking right now. They got a flight to Korea with a private jet. That's seriously how rich the family is. 

"Oh my gosh, it's so heavy." Steph says while fidgeting her huge luggage. Just how much did she bring along with her? "Someone help me! Eva! Come here!" She screeches on the top of her lungs. Eva follows her words unwillingly and lends her a 'helping' hand. "Hurry girls!" 

The ride to the next destination takes about half an hour. Steph just can't stop talking and pointing out the buildings she knows about. "Ooh ooh! That's KBS Hall. Where they have all the shooting." "Mom, look! That's 63 building. They have this competition once in a year where you can climb the stairs up to the 63th floor. I should try it some day." Being the curious person Eva is, her eyes actually follow along. She wonders how much does Steph actually knows. Maybe that's one of the advantages for drowning herself into the Kpop fandom. 

The car pulls over in front of a house. Scratch that. It'sa mansion. The family stand aside as the maids come to help them with their belongings. The neighborhood is quite isolated, with only a few families living there. They are likely to be as rich as the Lee family is. "I heard that there's this good looking boy living next to us." Eva's mother whispered beside her, the teasing tone of hers is hinting her something.

"Thanks. I'll just unpack the rest on my own." Eva gives the maid a warm smile. She kneels down in front of a box packed with books. Eva really likes to read, especially when she can occupies herself from all the ups and downs in her life. Suddenly, a gust of cold wind blows in, making the girl trembles a little. The weather is beginning to get colder in Korea. Winter is coming real soon. Eva walks over to the window and there she sees a boy just opposite her window. The window from the house next door is just the length of a broom away. The boy is sitting on the bed with his back leaning against the headboard, tapping on his phone furiously. Is he the boy that her mother mentioned just now?