Chapter 5

Through Her Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After panicking at the lost of her contact lenses and devising a plan that involved her coming to school late, Yoori dragged Yunhyeong to a nearby optometrist to get a new pair of contacts. The boy was barely able to slip on his shoes when his older sister ran past him with a pair of dark shades at 7.30 in the morning. Unfortunately for the boy, he will also be late for school as most shops won't be open until 8 in the morning. 

In the end, both of them concluded that coming to school late and getting a demerit was unnecessary and decided that skipping school for the day was easier. 

"Sheesh, let's just take our time." Yunhyeong grumbled after having to pull Yoori back to their apartment to change into more comfortable clothes. Yoori, on the other hand, was getting antsy. She felt without her contacts, feeling exposed and uncomfortably revealed to the world. She did not like, at all, the idea of others seeing her abnormal eyes. She felt like an exotic exhibit, an animal, on display whenever she sense others staring at her. 

Yunhyeong finally came back out in a simple grey shirt and jeans, feeling refreshed and light, as if a burden in the form of his school uniform was lifted, shrugged off of his shoulders. Yoori was already waiting on the couch, anxiously Luna's white coat in her white shirt and denim shorts. 

Suddenly pitying his sister, Yunhyeong softened, fully aware of her fear of others seeing her eyes. He had found it fascinating and cool when he had first realised that the colours of her eyes constantly changed according to her emotions. He had grown up watching her, staring into her eyes as a baby when Yoori held him in her arms up as she purposely pinch herself or made herself sad just to entertain him with her eyes whenever he threw a fit. Yunhyeong had also grown up watching her struggle to fit in with other kids back in the Phillipines. He remembered how other kids would either flee or point and whisper whenever she stepped out of the house.

She was only 10.

When they moved to Canada less than a year later, he finally took courage to quench his curiosity and asked the most innocent question Yoori had ever heard from a little kid. "Why do your eyes change colours?" Their mother simply replied that it was because she was special and it only changes according to her feelings. He remembered complaining and insisting that he had eyes that change colours, too, just to be special like his sister.

Yunhyeong chuckled at the memory. 

"Noona." He hollered and headed to the door. Yoori immediately got to her feet and slipped on the shades, eager to get her hands on the coloured lenses. 

"Could you go in and buy it for me?" She tugged on his hand once they were approaching the store. He cocked an eyebrow at her. "Why?" 

She bit her lip hesitantly before shaking her head, her grip on his arm loosening. "Never mind." Yoori felt bad that he had to miss school because of her, because of a flimsy pair of water-containing, coloured plastics just to hide herself. 

Yunhyeong feigned annoyance and pulled her back before she managed a step into the store and barged in, leaving her outside. He knew exactly why she had requested for him to purchase it for her. Some optometrists demands to have a look at your eyes, some were just plain nosy. If she had gone in wearing those shades, it would definitely raise suspicions and the purchase will simply take a longer time. 

"Excuse me, is Mrs Kwon in today?" He asked the lady at the counter whose face was thick with makeup and her eyes were replaced with a pair of bright pink irises. Not a sight to see. The lady simply raised her eyebrows and chewed on her gum. "No, sorry. She's taking a week off." Her nasal voice made him cringe inwardly. 

Mrs Kwon was a close friend to their mother, and she was the only person outside of their family who knew of her ever changing eye colour. Luckily, for the family, Mrs Kwon happened to own a professional optic store. And it happened to be the one located near their apartment. But what luck do they have that their only other hope happened to be taking a whole week to herself?

Yunhyeong sighed. Time for Plan B. 

He proceeded to pick out a random pair of dark coloured lenses, despite the looks the lady was giving him when he refused an eye examination and claimed that it was for his girlfriend. "Are you sure she doesn't have any eyesight problems?" She questioned. 

Yunhyeong nodded, giving her his best charming smile. "Yes, I'm sure. In fact, I'd love to ask for your recommendation. Your choice of lenses intrigued me." He commented and noticed the look of surprise on her face. Then, he leaned in towards the counter, closing in the distance between the two of them. "It makes your eyes pop." He commented.

"You look pretty with it." 

Immediately, the lady's shocked expression turned to a subtle embarassment, a hint of red around her cheeks were evident.

She conciously tucked a loose tendril of her blonde hair behind her ear and cleared . "This way." She finally flashed a professional smile and lead him to another table. Yunhyeong, on the other hand, scowled when she turned her back towards him. He thanked his good genetics and height that made him look older and more mature than his age. 

The lady picked out their best-selling pair of dark lenses, and without hesitation, Yunhyeong paid for it. 

"What took you so long?" Yoori pushed herself off of the wall of the store when he walked out with the plastic in his hand. He made a face. 

"Don't ask. Here." He tossed the plastic bag at her. She smiled sincerely.

"Thanks, Yun." 

Even though he scowled and made a head start towards their apartment, leaving her to catch up with him, he felt a little warmth of happiness in him seeing her smile like that. It made him felt useful and appreciated. He was glad to have been a help for his older sister. 

"Let's go out." 

Yoori's cheerful voice made him look up from his tab. She was wearing her new lenses, looking absolutely satisfied and relieved. Yunhyeong felt a little bliss of achievement inside.

"Are you that happy?" 

Yoori simply shrugged but the brightness on her face was evident. He knew he won't be able to say 'no'.

Moments late

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter