Chapter 3

Through Her Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Yoori, could you please help Jinhwan with the books?" 

The girl looked up and immediately found a boy carrying a tall stack of thick and heavy books in his hand. She rushed to him and took some of it off of him. "Oh, thanks." He mented in exhaustion. 

He lead the way to the back of the book store, Yoori trailing from behind. 

It was near evening. Yoori had went over to the book store to help out with the business, as she had always done for the past few years. Her mother was stationed around the counter while a handful of employees with different shifts worked around the store. 

"Where to?" Yoori asked, taking more books off the stack in Jinhwan's hands. 

"Uhh, some to be placed at the elementary school section and some at the junior high section." He glanced at the many revision and exercise books in his hands. Yoori nodded and left to the respective sections. 

While she re-stocked the books, her ankle suddenly felt tingly. Shaking the feeling off, she continued to place the books in the shelves. It stopped and she figured it was simply because she had been standing up for a little too long. After she was done, she was on her way to the counter when her ankle felt tingly again. This time, it was harsher than before. An electric-like zap shot up through her right leg causing her to stop in her tracks and kneeled on the floor. 

It wasn't pain but it was uncomfortable. 

Her muscles twitched and ached, her right leg felt immobile. She reached down to massage her calf, hoping to ease the uncomfortable feeling. That was when she noticed it. 

Her silver anklet vibrated. 

Violently. 

She reached out to inspect the looped chain but the moment she touched it, her hand was shot up with similar zap of electricity. She grimaced and shook her hand, unable to move her fingers. "What the hell?" She muttered, now a little annoyed because she knew that the anklet has no clutch and she couldn't remove it. 

When she regained the control of her arm, she limped by the walls, using her arms to support her. Her right leg felt a little numb from the whole electric zap but she could manage. 

"Mom?" She called and made her way to the cash register.

Usually her mother would linger around the counter to handle other things but could still keep an eye out for the cash register, which made it a little weird that Yoori could not find the old lady anywhere near the area. "That's a little dangerous." She mumbled, knowing that thieves could easily access the money in the register and made a run for it. Especially when it was located right at the exit. 

Checking that everything was untouched by unwanted people, she opened the register. She sighed in relief when she found that nothing was out of place. Now, the woman in question. Her lips pressed into a thin line as she looked around for her mother. Never has her mother leave her counter unsupervised, she would have had another employee to watch around for her while she go and do her business. 

"Miss Park, you sure are a little careless." She muttered to herself and sat herself down on a chair provided in the booth. The uncomfortable feeling in her leg was starting to subside. She glanced down at the silver chain around her ankle which she had no memories of how it got around her leg. Curiously, she reached for the chain again. This time, nothing happened. No zap, no uncomfortable feelin, nothing.

Stupid anklet.

After some time, her mother hasn't came back. She glanced at the clock on the wall. 7 o'clock.

Time for closing. 

Yoori kept the things around the counter in the drawer underneath. The key hung from it. Though suspicious, she went on and locked the drawer. After collecting the money and locking the register with one of the keys on her set her mother provided, she went to the front and closed the doors. After making sure it was locked, she went to the back.

"Jinhwan?" 

"In the store." The boy replied. 

She walked towards his voice, unsuspecting of anything. "Jinhwan, have you seen my mom?" She mumbled as she pushed the door to the store open. She expected the boy she has been working with to be arranging some boxes of books on the floor. 

Not on the floor, looking lifeless.

"Jinhwan!" Yoori gasped and made a beeline to him. Her sole attention was on him that she did not notice the other figures in the room.

She held his head up and felt around his neck for a pulse. "Jinhwan? Oh, God." She sighed in relief when she felt the pulse and proceeded to check him for injuries when she heard the door slammed shut. When she looked up, she saw a tall figure near the door. She fumbled for her phone in her skirt and mentally cursed when she realised she had left it in her school bagpack but she froze in her tracks when she felt a sharp nudge against her neck. 

She could make out the long, silvery weapon by the side of her neck.

"Not so fast, girly."

A rough voice chuckled from behind. She felt the weapon moved as the figure came into view, walking to the front. 

He was tall, undoubtly, but terribly pale. His facial features were sharp, with high cheek bones and smooth skin. Dressed entirely in black with a single red badge on the left side of his long coat, he had an aura of confidence around him that further enhances his attractiveness. He could've been a model, but there he was, holding a sword against her. Yoori was scared, she felt her breath hitched but she held her stare on the guy.

"What do you want?" 

"Stand up," he ordered.

Hesitantly, she stood but kept her distance right next to her unconcious colleague. Out of the corners of her eyes, she sensed movements from around the room. The man smiled and lowered the sword. "We're going to ask the same questions we asked the boy." He informed and nodded at Jinhwan. Yoori heard the screech of a chair coming towards her and felt a hand on her shoulder. She flinched out of the grasp but then another set of hands grabbed her by the shoulder and forced her down on the chair. 

"Who the hell are you?" Yoori spat. The man only laughed and shook his head. "Girl, we ask the questions. Not you." His smile disappeared, now replaced with a snarl. He eyed her as he started to walk around her, his hand skillfully handling the sword. 

He swung it dangerously close to her, making her flinch and tried to move away if it wasn't for the hands on her shoulder firmly sitting on her shoulder, disallowing her to move. She turned and glanced at the man holding her down. She could feel her heartbeat racing in fear. And then a thought struck her.

Where was her mother?

She looked around the big store room. Aside from the similarly dressed figures surrounding them, there was no one else. She started panicking. 

"First question." The man's deep voice snapped her out of her worries. "Where is Park Sanda

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter