Chapter 4

The Wicked Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sehun was eventually introduced to the two detectives who were supposed to fill him in on some of the more important cases they were currently working on.

“There he is! The man of the hour.” A man announced, spinning in his chair as Sehun approached. 

“I’ve got to applaud you on your brewing skills. You make one hell of a cup of coffee. It’s definitely a step up from Kai’s sad excuse for a drink.” Another joined in, rolling closer to introduce himself. “Detective Byun Baekhyun, pleased to make your acquaintance.”

“The pleasure is all mine.” Sehun responded with a bow.

“We were warned about your manners.” The other detective muttered, eyeing him disapprovingly.

“Oh please Chanyeol. Your first day here is considered legendary. Nothing this guy does even comes close.”

“The day is still young.” Chanyeol pointed out, raising an eyebrow at Sehun.

“I bet you’re eager to get your hands on the good stuff.” Baekhyun flicked at a stack of folders which he held in his hands.

Sehun outstretched his arms, eager to get started.

“Nah ah ah.” Baekhyun sung while waving a finger at him, moving the folders further out of reach. “Before you can touch these, you must first pass through the initiation.”

“I thought that’s what the coffee was for.” Sehun responded desolately.

Baekhyun let out a low scoff. “Hardly. The real test has yet to come.”

“Just tell me what I have to do.” Sehun muttered.

“Do you see the kid over there with the headphones in?” Baekhyun asked, pointing to a stockier fellow whose eyes glowered at a computer screen.

“What about him?” Sehun asked, crossing his arms.

“Go over there and squish his cheeks.” Baekhyun said while shooting Sehun a wide smile.

It sounded simple enough.

Sehun’s eyes drifted back towards the guy at the computer. “That’s it?”

“That’s it.” Baekhyun assured, quickly slapping Chanyeol in the arm when he couldn’t control his expression. “Go on.”

Sehun slowly made his way across the room, his eyes fixed on his intended target. He hesitate when the man looked up from his computer, noticing Sehun’s presence.

“Can I help you?” The man asked, looking up at Sehun with the same glowering eyes.

Sehun’s hands started to shake as he reached out for the man’s cheek, applying the slightest pressure on the fattest part. As soon as he withdrew his hand, he noticed how quiet the room had gotten. He sensed a deep anger brewing inside the man in front of him, realizing quickly that what he had just done was a huge mistake.

“Oh .” Someone muttered behind him. “He actually did it.”

Sehun felt a sudden pull on his collar as the man reached across his desk, pulling him into a headlock.

“Help!” Sehun called out between breaths as he felt the color drain from his cheeks.

“Who put him up to this?” The man asked, directing the question to the whole room.

The entire room immediately turned the blame on Chanyeol and Baekhyun, the both of them cowering slightly under the sudden attention.

“Kyungsoo, I swear we didn’t say anything. I have no clue where he got the idea from.” Chanyeol insisted vehemently.

“Help!” Sehun tried again his legs buckling under him as Kyungsoo’s grip didn’t let up.

“Let the kid go. He didn’t know any better.” Kai said, as he came strolling back into the room from his bathroom break.

And with that, Kyungsoo released, letting Sehun fall against the desk.

“Thanks.” Sehun struggled to say as he tried to right his breathing.

“Us same aged friend have got to look after one another, right?” Kai said, bending down to give a hard pat on Sehun’s back.

“Wait! You’re my age?” Sehun yelled, suddenly regaining his energy.

“Did I forget to mention that?” Kai commented as he took a seat next to Kyungsoo.

When Sehun looked back at Kyungsoo, he found him seated and engrossed in the computer screen once more, as if the whole ordeal hadn’t even happened. He counted his blessings before making his way back over to Baekhyun and Chanyeol, immediately grabbing for the files.

“So I guess this means Chanyeol’s crown has finally been overtaken.” Sehun said as he sat down in an empty chair, giving them both the death stare.

Baekhyun considered it for a while before responding. “No…Chanyeol’s is still worse.”

“Oh come on.” Chanyeol muttered as he left out of frustration.

“But I’m glad we broke your whole overly-proper shtick.” Baekhyun said, apparently satisfied by his work.

Sehun watched Chanyeol’s retreating figure, his curiosity still going unquenched.

“So…what did Chanyeol do his first day, that was so memorable?” Sehun whispered when Chanyeol was out of earshot.

Baekhyun looked up from his papers, pausing for emphasis.

“He called Suho short.”

“And that’s bad?” Sehun asked, slightly confused.

Baekhyun motioned Sehun closer, calling his attention to a small desk next to the bathroom and a large trashcan. “See that over there? That’s Chanyeol’s desk. This one’s mine.” Baekhyun said, giving a light tap to his comparably larger desk, set next to a window with a view.

“Right.” Sehun muttered mindlessly, as he added Suho’s name to the ever-growing list of people not to with.

“At least yours was over quickly. Chanyeol’s punishment will last for as long as Suho’s captain.”

    

“Tao, help me with some of these boxes.” I said as I lifted up the first box of new clothing.

“That’s not in my job description.” Tao remained sitting in the car, scrolling through his phone for messages.

“Do you really want to piss off the girl sleeping with your boss?” I hissed as I called him over again.

He eventually walked over to take one of the boxes from me. “That’s funny. Last I heard, your relationship remains strictly platonic.”

“Jeez, you guys gossip more than my mother.” I muttered before shutting the trunk.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter