Chapter 13

The Wicked Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Mature content involving death.

 

 

“We just got the lab results back on Chloe’s drink from a few nights ago, and it’s as we expected. There were traces of Botulinum toxin.” Luhan reported.

“Have you been able to find the guy responsible?” 

“No. We looked through the security footage, but we can’t make out a face because of how dark it was in the club.”

“Just to be clear, you’re sure this isn’t just some date drug that was slipped into her drink?”

“Yep. Unless the guy is into necrophilia. Chloe most certainly would have been dead within a few hours if she had taken even just a sip.” 

Xiumin tapped his fingers along his desk as he processed the information. His enemies were starting to get gutsier with their assassination attempts. To try something like this, in such a public place, meant they were getting desperate. It also meant that Chloe’s luck was running thin.

“Alright. From now on, make sure that at least two of my men have eyes on Chloe at all times of day. That includes when she’s in school or in transit.”

“Got it.” Luhan responded before leaving.

 

I waved to Luhan as I caught him exiting Xiumin’s office. He responded with a curt nod before proceeding down the hallway.

I continued, knocking lightly on Xiumin’s door before entering.

“Still busy at work I see.” I said as I greeted him.

“I’ve got to pay the bills somehow.” Xiumin muttered, looking up from his work.

He looked absolutely delicious sitting there with his furrowed brows and the top button of his shirt undone. His lap looked ever so inviting as he swiveled slightly in his chair, giving me a full view of his body.

“So I just sent two of your men to get me some pizza. Would you like some when they get back?” I asked, smiling as he narrowed his eyes at me.

“Aren’t you getting a little too comfortable with bossing my guys around?” 

I laughed as I approached him, settling myself onto his lap so that I was straddling him.

“What can I say? It comes naturally to me.”

I leaned forward while bracing myself with the back of his chair, giving him a light kiss on his right temple as his arms naturally wrapped around my waist. I noticed the anticipation in his eyes as I gave him another kiss on his nose.

“But really. You haven’t eaten anything all day. You’re going to burn yourself out at this rate.”

He smiled before responding, “Who needs food when I’ve got you?”

I bit at my bottom lip, unsure how to respond. As his lips found their way to mine, I found myself thinking about how much I actually liked being here. To clarify, ‘here’ had multiple meanings to me. The first, was here in Xiumin’s arms, at this moment, with the two of us nestled away in his personal office of his organization base. The second, was here in my place at Xiumin’s side as his wife, with our odd semblance of a family. Because that’s what we had become, a family. Me, Xiumin, Kris, Luhan, Chen, Tao, and even Yixing.      

For the first time, I really felt a sense of belonging. Was it stupid of me to think that?

“I think, the role of mob wife suits me well. Wouldn’t you agree?” I asked as I broke the kiss for air.

His sudden hardened expression surprised me.

“What?” I asked, hesitating at his change in demeanor.

His face seemed conflicted, morphing into a strange mix of sympathy and disappointment.

“You shouldn’t be proud of such a role.” He said, rejecting me.

I didn’t know how to react as he pushed me away from him, resuming his work at his desk. A few moments later, he paused to voice something to me.

“Do you even realize how dangerous your position is?” He asked, as if baffled by my ignorance. “Have you ever, just once, stopped to consider why it is I keep my best fighter at your side all day long?”

He met eyes with me, waiting for me to respond.

“No.” I muttered quietly, cowering under his gaze.

“You are married to a person who has enough enemies to fill up an entire football stadium. Not only that, but it is you that holds the key to the extension of my empire, so rest assured, as the weakest link of the chain, you’re going to be the first person they target if they want to get to me.”

“That’s ridiculous.” I muttered, figuring he was just trying to psych me out.

He let out a sigh once he realized that I didn’t take him seriously. “Since the day we eloped, there have been three attempts on your life. One by knife, one by poison, and one by strangulation. All of which, were thwarted due to the competence of my men.”

I was at a loss for words, unable to compute how thin the line was, that I was currently walking on. I felt a cold chill run down my back as the severity of it all finally hit me.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

He ignored my question, choosing instead to voice one last comment. “Make no mistake, the position you now occupy is one I wouldn’t wish upon even my greatest of enemies.”

I stood in silence, staring at the back of Xiumin’s head as a feeling of resentment started to build inside me. How dare he talk to me like that? If that’s how he saw the situation, where did that leave me? Was I just some lamb being led to the slaughter? Did he really think so little of me?

“Xiumin. Sorry to interrupt, but something’s come up.” Luhan said, as he barged back into the office unannounced.

I noticed the exchange in glance between them as I receded towards the far wall.

“What happened?”

“The rats have resurfaced.” Luhan said, garnering immediate understanding from Xiumin.

“Where’s Kris?” 

“We can’t get ahold of him.”

“What about Chen and Yixing?”

“Both are busy with other matters.”

Xiumin let out a gruff groan as he stood from his seat, shedding his coat. 

“Where are you going?” I asked, bothered by his sudden activeness.

“Stay here.” Xiumin ordered as he left the room.

“No!” I responded, immediately following on their tails. Call it brashness or just plain gall, but I intended to do the exact opposite of whatever it was he ordered, from that point on.

“You said they resurfaced. Where?” Xiumin asked as he rolled up his sleeves.

“The warehouse.” Luhan responded, his eyes looking back to me, unsure of whether to allow me to continue to follow.

“Here?” Xiumin asked, taking a slight pause in his step as he took in the news.

“Yes.”

When we finally arrived, we found two men kneeling on the floor, surrounded by a group of seven men.

“Boss.” One of the men who stood watch, immediately greeted Xiumin on his arrival.

“We’d like a word with them. You guys can leave.” Xiumin directed, sending the seven men away. “And take Chloe with you.”

I stepped back as one of the men walked in my direction.

“I’m not leaving.” I said stubbornly, shaking the man’s grip off.

“Boss’s orders.” 

“Well the ‘boss’ can go himself.” I muttered as I avoided him.

We both ceased our little squabble upon the sound of ammo being loaded into a gun.

“Tell me what you did with the goods.” Xiumin said as he pointed the gun at one of the kneeling men.

“I told you, som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter