Chapter 3

The Wicked Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you the new rookie?” Someone asked, pulling Sehun out of the paperwork he had been filling out.

“Ye- yes.” He quickly bowed to the man who had greeted him.

“Welcome to the police force. I’m Captain Kim Suho.” The man said, introducing himself with a cordial smile.

“Captain? I’m sorry sir, I had no idea.” Sehun quickly apologized, bowing again at a full 90 degrees. Sehun was surprised by the man’s status. He looked so young, that it was impossible to imagine he was someone of such high rank.

“No need to apologize. I hope we get to see a lot more of each other from now on.”

“Sir.” Sehun began to bow again.

Suho let out a laugh. “Just loosen up a bit and you’ll be fine. Kai, why don’t you show Sehun around a bit and get him acquainted,” he asked as a man tried to pass them.

Kai looked over at Sehun, letting out an amused smile. “This the new fish bait?” He asked, pointing his thumb at Sehun.

“Yes. Alright, I should get going.” Suho said as he tried to leave. “Kai you should learn a thing or two from Sehun about manners.”

Kai looked back at Sehun, muttering something under his breath. “Kiss .”

“You two be good!” Suho called back out at the two of them as he receded into his personal office.

Sehun looked to Kai, rocking back and forth on his heels. “So what’s my assignment for my first day? Burglary? Grand larceny?”

“Oh no. You’ve got a much more important task.” Kai responded as he led Sehun down a long corridor.

“Are you serious?” Sehun responded with excited eyes.

Kai motioned to some doors on the left. “Those are the bathrooms, over there are the interrogation rooms.”

Sehun silently took it all in as they moved along. He felt an inflated sense of accomplishment as he realized that he had finally made it. All those years in school, with people looking down at him, telling him he'd never make it becuase of his lanky proportions. Well they can just it. Who knows, maybe in a few weeks, he'll catch his first serial killer in that interrogation room right over there.   

“How fresh are you out of school again?” .

“I just graduated in the spring.” Sehun responded proudly.

“Hmm.” Kai nodded, snickering slightly.

Sehun drew up a mental floor plan in his head, adding labels for each room until all was covered.

“Hey Jessica.” Kai said to a girl in passing.

“Ooh, whose this?” Jessica asked as she stopped to eye Sehun up and down.

Sehun tried his best not to let her sudden interest fluster him.

“Fish bait, fresh out of school.”

She looked to be in her late twenties, dressed in business attire, but still beautiful none the less. She had long brown locks which bounced with her every step.

“Nice.” She commented as she took a peak at Sehun’s derriere. “Real nice.” She muttered as she continued down the corridor.

“Hey, I thought you said I had the nicest around here.” Kai call out to her retreating figure before addressing Sehun again. “That’s Jessica, Suho’s receptionist. She’s a real looker isn’t she?”

“Yeah.” Sehun found himself looking back in her direction.

“She’s nice to look at, but she at her job, so if you have something important to give to Suho, make sure you give it to him personally.”

Sehun added that bit of information into his mental notes.

By then, they had arrived into a smaller room, fit with a fridge, and sparsely interspersed with other kitchen appliances.

“So what is my first job? How do we get started?” Sehun’s eyes gleamed with excitement.

With his left hand, Kai reached for a large mug, handing it to Sehun.

“Oh no, I don’t drink coffee.” Sehun quickly dismissed.

“It’s not for you.” Kai said, exasperated. “Fill it with water.”

“What?”

“The coffee machine needs water! Fill the mug with water in that sink over there, and then walk your back here, and pour the water into the damn machine.” Kai said, annoyed by Sehun’s slow uptake.

“Coffee? My first assignment is making coffee?” Sehun asked as realization finally set in.

“Yes, I’m passing the baton on to you. Congratulations on your first day, rookie.” Kai gave Sehun a good smack on the before exiting the room.

Sehun was left with a defeated expression, his eyes glowering at the coffee machine.

“Oh and don’t forget Suho’s cream! Suho is not happy when he doesn’t have cream in his coffee.” 

 

I woke up alone in bed, to the sound of my usual alarm. I let out a chorus of groans as I rolled over towards my phone to turn it off. My eyes had difficulty adjusting to the stark white of the room. I noticed the sound of the downstairs TV playing in the background. Huh. I thought Xiumin would have been gone by now. When I eventually pulled myself out of bed, I peeked out into the living room, curious to see what Xiumin was up to.

“Holy !” I muttered to myself, running behind the cover of the door when I realized it wasn’t Xiumin who was watching TV.

“You know, when they told me I was on babysitting duty, I had no idea it would be this interesting.” The man called out to me as he continued to flip through the channels. “Remind me to give props to Luhan later for choosing that outfit for you. It really fits like a glove.”

“Who are you?” I questioned from behind the shelter of the door as my face turned a bright red.

“I already told you. I’m your babysitter. Now hurry up and get ready. There’s nothing good on TV.”

I closed the door behind me, letting out a huff of frustration. Xiumin did tell me that someone would be here to pick me up. When I stepped into the bathroom to brush my teeth, I noticed a dress hanging on one of the closet doors. It was a solid white number that hit at about the knees, made out of a soft knit jersey. While it was cute, it was definitely too dressy for class in my opinion.

By the time I had finished getting ready, it was already a quarter past ten.

“I like the other outfit better.” The man commented as I descended the stairs.

“Come on, we’re late.” I muttered as I picked up a banana from the kitchen on my way out.

“Whose fault is that?” The man asked, closing the door behind me.

I stopped in my tracks to give the taller man a dirty look.

“You haven’t told me your name yet.” I pressed the button for the parking garage.

“Tao.” He responded with a smirk.

“Well Tao, I appreciate you coming to pick me up, but I think it’s better if next time, you wait in the car.”

“Fine. But if I’m forced to wait any longer than ten minutes, I’m leaving without you.”

“Deal.” I responded, the two of us shaking on it.

 

As soon as Xiumin walked into headquarters, he began to list off orders. “I want the print outs of last month’s profits from the Alberto project on my desk, and let Chen know I’ve thought over his latest proposition and I agree. He needs to get started on it right away. And call Yoona to my office when you’re done with all that.”

Luhan scoffed slightly at the last request. “Wow boss. You’ve certainly had a lot of energy lately. Two girls in less than 24 hours? I can’t even remember the last time you called for Yoona. This new girl must be quite a catch if she still has you this hot and bothered.”

Luhan noticed the slight flex in Xiumin’s jaw at t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter