Chapter 11

The Wicked Games
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So because of the missing inventory, we’re having trouble keeping up with our demand.” Luhan stated as he read off some of his own notes. “There’s a deadline we need to make, which is a little worrying. Not following through could cost us thousands in revenue, if you consider future business.”

“Yes, because that’s what I worry about every day. Meeting deadlines for wrinkly rich guys who can only have fun when there’s around.” Chen muttered, yawning at the boring topic of discussion.

A scoff came from Xiumin’s direction, instantly catching Chen’s attention.

“Is that a smile I see?” Chen asked, noticing Xiumin’s unusually bright demeanor that morning. “Since when do you ever laughed at one of my jokes? Either the world has come to an end or someone’s finally gotten laid.” Chen said jokingly.

Everyone jumped at Xiumin’s slight facial regression.

“Holy hell, he really did!” Kris said, immediately rejoicing at the news.

“So how was she?” Chen started to inquisition.

“I’ve noticed she has quite wide set hips. In my experience, that’s usually a good thing.” Yixing commented.

Xiumin felt embarrassed by the sudden attention, trying to change the topic for Chloe’s sake. “I thought you guys all came in here to talk about something serious.”

“Look at him getting all flush.” Kris said, smiling like an idiot. “You know, you really have me to thank for that.”

“Seriously though, is she limber?” Chen continued.

“Luhan, you said something about a deadline coming up?” Xiumin continued to ignore them.

Luhan let off a discontent expression, implying he expected details later on.

“We need to make contact with some of our peddlers downtown, but we haven’t been able to, with the cops keeping such a close eye. Especially now that we know they’ve been listening in on our calls.” Luhan responded, finally cooperating with Xiumin. “One of our customers is expecting twenty kilo’s worth by the end of the month, so we have until then to figure something out.”

“Why doesn’t Luhan use one his disguises again?” Chen suggested.

“Luhan’s masquerading skills are one of our greatest assets. There’s no point in risking the possibility of the cops uncovering it, over twenty kilo’s worth.” Xiumin said, quickly shutting the idea down. “We need to make contact in a situation in which the cops have their guard down. In a place where they would least expect something to go down.”

 

 

In some ways, I felt I had regressed the moment I let Xiumin have his way with me. Because now he actually had something over me. I wasn’t stupid enough to believe his actions were done out of love. But by getting into a ual relationship with him, I made myself more vulnerable for hurt and more likely to have expectations. The idea of that terrified me.

I sat silently, preoccupied by my thoughts as my friends made plans for the night.

“Do you want to come?” I was asked suddenly.

I broke from my train of thought, turning my attention to my companions.

“I’m sorry, what were you talking about?” I asked as I checked my watch. It read fifteen minutes ‘til two, which meant it was about time for me to walk to class.

“We’re going to that new restaurant down the street. We were thinking of maybe heading to a club afterwards. So do you want to come?” Amber asked.

It had been the first time I had seen my friends again after coming back from winter break. They were all eager to celebrate the beginnings of a new semester with one last hurrah, before school work would start taking over our lives again.

I hesitated to answer. “I don't think-” I began to say.

“You know, I can’t even remember the last time we went out together. I mean, I get that you’re married now, but that doesn’t mean you still can’t go out and have fun some times.” Luna cut in. She continued when she noticed I was still on the fence about it. “It’s the least you could do for not inviting us to your wedding.”

“I really wasn’t kidding when I said it was a small ceremony.” I defended.

“But we’re your best friends!”

“My own parents weren’t even there.” I reminded her quickly.

This seemed to qualm her momentarily, though her eyes still conveyed that she wanted me there.

I thought back to Xiumin’s comment on how he wasn’t against me going out. The idea of me breaking our daily ritual of eating together, bothered me for some reason. But then again, Xiumin had already done so on a few occasions. So what was the harm of it being the other way around for a change?

“Yeah, alright. What time do you want me to be there?”

“Seven on the dot. And don’t be late!” She said as we broke off to make our next classes.

I waited until they were out of earshot before making a call to Xiumin. It only managed to ring once before Xiumin picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey, sorry for bothering you.” I spoke, moving into a more sparsely populated area so he could hear me better.  

“You don’t usually call me. What’s going on?”

I hesitated, unsure how to start. Honestly speaking, I wasn’t really in the habit of asking Xiumin favors. “I’m going out tonight. So figure out dinner plans on your own.”

I was anticipating some sort of objection, but I was given none. “Alright. Have fun.”

I paused, thrown off by his response. He didn’t seem the least bit curious about where I was going or who I was going with.

“I’m going to need the car.” I spoke again.

“Do you have a license?”

“Yes.”

There was another pause as Xiumin thought about it. “Alright, I’ll tell Tao to leave the car at home for you. He can take a cab back.”

Once again, I was surprised by his willingness. “Perfect. Well…that’s all I wanted to say. Sorry again for bothering you.”

“Hey Chloe.” He called out as I was about to hang up.

“Yeah?” I said, putting the phone back up to my ear.

“Don’t hesitate to ask things of me. This marriage may only be contractual, but that doesn’t mean I’m not willing to compromise. I mean, for god sakes, we’re already sleeping with each other. ”

“Right. Yeah…okay.” I said, slightly confused by his words. But what he said wasn’t wrong. Why should I feel any guilt asking him for things? It was the least I could get in return for all the things I did for him in bed. “Bye.”

“Bye.” He responded before hanging up. 

 

“We finally have information on Kris’s wife, now that we have a name.” Baekhyun said as he set some papers down Suho’s desk. “This is Chloe Chang.”

Suho picked up the file, studying the picture which lay on top. “She’s pretty.”

“She’s a university student, going for a degree in Pre-Medicine. She grew up in a low income family with no siblings. She has no criminal record and there’s nothing out of the ordinary in her medical history either. Essentially, she’s a blank slate.”

“Future doctor with no criminal record. Now, why is someone like that married to a mafia boss?” Suho muttered as he traced her jawline.

Something about her eyes drew Suho in.

 

“Would you stop frowning like that? You're scaring all the guys away.” Sulli said, scolding me lightly. 

“I'm sorry I wasn't blessed with an eternally cheerful face like yours.” I responded before taking another sip of my cocktail. 

“Come on, give me a smile.” Sulli careened, nudging me lightly in my side. “Just a little smile.”

She did a silly little wiggle, trying to elicite a reaction out of me. My cold facade cracked as she accidentally spilt her drink on the table, her eyes widening at the slight mishap.

“Smooth.” I responded, the two of us giggling as we tried to clean the mess up. 

“Hello ladies.” A man said as he suddenly approached us with a group of his friends.

“See it worked!” Sulli mentioned to me before responding, “Hi!” She shot them her usual smile.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her, knowing instantly that the guys had misinterpreted her smile as an invitation to join us.

“It looks like you’re in some major need of some testosterone. We would be happy to indulge you.”

Hmmm. I wonder how long it took for him to think that one up. They didn’t wait for our response, instantly integrating themselves within our ranks.

“Hi, my name’s Ben.” One of the guys said, as he took a seat beside me.

He was decently cute, with tufts of curly hair which were qualmed with a fair amount of hair gel. Had I still been single, I might have given the guy a chance, but only because I had a thing for guys in V-necks. 

I struggled to hear his words over the pounding music of the club, resorting to just reading his lips.

“Hi.” I responded, trying to be cordial while still carefully choosing to omit my name.

“You seem a little bored.”

“I’m fine, actually.” I corrected, watching as he leaned in closer.

“A nice drink would probably fix that.” He suggested.

“You know, I don’t think-” I started to say, unable to finish my sentence before he called one of the workers over.

“Could I get ten shots of Patron over here?” Ben said, handing over his credit card. 

His push for alcohol, instantly served as a turn-off for me. 

“Right away sir.” The person responded as they went to place the order.

It seemed any attempts to stop him would prove futile, so I just let out a heavy sigh before tolerating more of his mundane conversation.

About five minutes later, the server returned with a tray in hand. I did a double take as someone on the opposite side of the venue caught my eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter