Jellybeans

Jellybeans
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]jellybeans.[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]Kang Eun Na had one dream: [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

And that was to live it dessert paradise; A place where everything was made of sweets, sweets, and more sweets.

"That place doesn't even exist," Kim Taehyung scolded. The two had been best friends since they were babies (exaggerating here though). He was used to how nonsensical Eun Na could be, but that was what completed her bubbly personality.

"Then, someday I'm gonna be crowned as the queen of chocolate! Or maybe Ice Cream Queen? Whatever, either position sounds great..." Eun Na mumbled on as if she hadn't heard what Taehyung stated, or maybe she wasn't listening at all.

Taehyung chuckled as he ran his fingers through his best friend's short hair. His fingertips glided over the strands in a short time with the minimal length, and somehow he was admittedly disappointed with the lack of contact, but Eun Na's head lying down on his stomach was enough to satisfy his craving.

Kim Taehyung had one dream as his gaze focused on the fantasizing girl, (She was talking about something like having a gingerbread treadmill if ever she felt too bloated with all the sweets she has eaten in her imaginary land),: it was to be Eun Na's Chocolate King but Ice Cream King was also alright just as long as he was beside Kang Eun Na forever.
;;;;;;
 

Dear Secret Santa, please give me tons of assorted sweets. Anything but the mint ones, okay? Thanks.
-Kang Eun Na

"You always ask for that, why can't you ask for scarves, sweaters, cuddly bears, you know? The things girls ask in Christmas Parties?" Taehyung asked as they were walking under the afternoon rays, having gone from a tiring day at university.

Christmas Day was fast approaching and a few days before that was their section's Christmas Party. As a tradition, an exchange of gifts were being done annually wherein a student picks a paper with a classmate's name and he/she has to keep it confidential until the day to give the gifts came.

Taehyung and Eun Na's feet crunched melodiously as they walked on the piling white snow. The two bundled up with scarves and thick coats, trying to warm themselves as much as possible. There was a foot-distance between their bodies, trying to be as close for the source of warmth yet distant enough to not be mistaken as a couple.

As much as Taehyung disliked (loathed, really), the minimal distance, he was glad to have been this close with Kang Eun Na because he knew that the both of them hated such a cold weather.

"It's practice for when I rule my own Dessert Kingdom. When I'm queen, I can buy anything I want with my chocolate coins!" Eun Na exclaimed as her arms were flailing comically while her face glowed brightly against the snowy background, definitely taking Taehyung's breath away for multiple of times now.

"You're unbelievable... No such place exists, Nana..." Taehyung rolled his eyes, his nickname for her tasting so natural against his tongue, a smile completely evident across his face.

"I can make it exist, Tae... But, you can't make aliens exist..." Eun Na shrugged her shoulders as she pranced away from Taehyung, her feet moving at the beat of an imaginary Christmas song in her head.

"Aliens can exist, people believe in it. Some scientists spend their whole lives trying to phantom the mystery of extraterrestrial species!" Taehyung argued as he tried to keep up with Eun Na's skipping pace.

"Whatever, I'm still going to be Ice Cream queen..." Eun Na looked back and stuck a tongue out at Taehyung before she sprinted towards her house with Taehyung effortlessly trailing behind her.

The boy kept his hands inside his pockets, a smile never leaving his face. He liked how Eun Na was just so energetically happy. She was contagious as were her emotions. He liked how blunt Eun Na was, how she rarely covers things up with her fluent words (except when she really has to keep something a surprise from someone). He liked how Kang Eun Na was his only friend who really knew who Kim Taehyung was - the silent, over-looking, "gorgeously-adorable", surprisingly-smart, protective friend.

They weren't even half of the list of why Kim Taehyung liked Kang Eun Na. The list goes on and if it was enumerated one-by-one, it would take forever to finish. That was how much Taehyung liked Eun Na.

His feelings for his best friend started years ago, when they first encountered each other.

It was during the first day in preschool when toddler's minds were full of cleverness and bluntness.

Kim Taehyung came to school late by 10 minutes (blame it on his older brother's friend, Byun Baekhyun (of course Baekhyun's here... how can I not include my ultimate bias? lol) for waking up late if it weren't for Taehyung waking him up and reminding him about his school.) "Be good Taehyung, hyung will pick you up later... Oh , I'm so late!!!"

Baekhyun ran off, taking short glances just to see if Taehyung was already safe inside the vicinity of the preschool institution.

At an early age, Taehyung learned how to roll his eyes in disbelief (He learned from his beloved hyung, Kim Junmyeon, because apparently his group, EXO, was a big pain in the .)

The little boy took small steps as he entered the big oak doors of the school. His footsteps echoed along the empty hallways, making him wonder where everyone was. A few more minutes of wandering, Taehyung heard something from a distance. He followed where these booming voices were and soon his question answered when he saw people as small as him sit orderly in front of a podium where an elderly woman was by the microphone stand. Parents and guardians were by the wall, looking over their children.

"Hello, my dear children, welcome to Big Hit Academy Pre-School Department. We are grateful to have been chosen to mold you into responsible young adults. We hope that you'll enjoy your stay here, okay children?"

A chorus of lively yess echoed across the room, Taehyung unconsciously mumbled a "yes" as well as he carefully made his way to any available empty chair, trying to be invisible as he was embarrassingly late on his first day. His glittering eyes darted along the towering people he passed by, wondering why women had colors on their faces or how the males made their hair stand up attractively.

At the very last row of the chairs assigned for the preschoolers, Taehyung found a seat, making him sigh in relief. As much as possible, he tried to sneak in as quietly as he could, but his seatmate recognized his presence immediately.

It was a little girl, her hair tied into high pigtails, her hair tie the color of pink - a great contrast from her shiny black hair. Her eyes were round and wide with curiosity, mirroring Taehyung's sparkly orbs. She had chubby cheeks that probably felt soft and smooth to the touch if only Taehyung had enough courage to do such a daring move. She wore a denim jumper dress with a white shirt inside as she had on a pair of white doll shoes and knee-length white laced socks.

"Hi, I'm Kang Eun Na what's yours, little boy?" Kim Taehyung raised his brows at the name, but then again this Kang Eun Na kid was a few centimeters taller than he was, and somehow it hurt his childish pride.

"I'm not that small..." Taehyung mumbled grumpily as he slouched further into his plastic chair. "Suho hyung told me that when I grow up, I'll grow taller fast. I'll probably be even taller than you!"

The little girl tilted at the boy's outburst. What was he blabbering on about? She merely asked for his name, wanting to befriend this late comer.

Taehyung noticed the girl's - Eun Na's - silence making him turn his head to face him. Never had he ever encountered someone who was up to par with his irresistible cuteness. Now he felt as though he was a mere apprentice under this adorable human being. At such a young age, Taehyung experienced temptation... to pinch her bulky cheeks.

"Are you mad?" she asked, her eyebrows furrowing in the middle. Little Eun Na watched as one of the boy's eyebrow raised. He is mad..., she thought. Quickly, she racked her brain for anything that could help her not make him mad at her anymore.

What made me not angry? Her lips quirked to the side, her gaze still glued onto Kim Taehyung as if she was trying to decipher a difficult jigsaw puzzle.

Just then, she instantly brightened up, a smile so bright Kim Taehyung could not prevent the skipping of the beat of his little heart while his cheeks turned pink at the new sensation.

Kang Eun Na turned to her side just to sit upright back up with a small Pororo backpack by her lap. She opened it before digging her arms and head inside the too-large-for-her bag. Taehyung almost had this crazy idea that Pororo was swallowing her whole when the girl's head popped out, her hands holding a pack of... chocolate?

"Here," she offered, "I didn't want to give away my chocolate but my Oreo Guards told me it was okay. Please don't be mad at me anymore..."

"I'm not..." Taehyung hesitantly took the pack of chocolate, varying from milk chocolate to white chocolate and dark chocolate. His eyebrows furrowed in the middle this time. Had he heard right? Or were his ears playing tricks on him?

"Excuse me, but you said... Oreo Guards...?"

Kang Eun Na's expression became even brighter, if that was even possible. "I did! I mean, I wish I had Oreo Guards but Doughnut Guards are fine by me too. You see, my dream is to one day become the queen in Dessert Land, where everyone is made of sweets! I love sweets so much! My mother used to scold me that I'll have... what do you call it...? i think it was something like dia-Reeses? Yeah... something like that, but I've already had those Reeses cups by the refrigerator, so maybe sweets really aren't that bad... But, as I was saying, I eat all kinds of desserts! My favorite is chocolates! Especially those cookies and cream flavored ones! But, recently I've been wanting to eat ice cream! Strawberry is my favorite flavor. Maybe when I become queen, I'm gonna order for a huge swimming pool filled with blueberry flavored ice cream because pink strawberry water just looks weird and..."

Eun Na hadn't even noticed that she had been talking non-stop (or maybe she didn't care if she talked all day because she was talking about her big dream) until she heard a laugh beside her. She looked at the boy whose name she still doesn't know.

For the first time in her life, Kang Eun Na felt the air escape her lungs, her breath seeming as if it was out because the sight of this late boy was so breathtaking. He had the cutest eye smile as the sides formed youthful crinkles. His nose scrunched cutely as well. Shallow dimples formed somewhere along his cheeks, almost making him look like a kitten, a cute one at that. Eun Na concluded that Kim Taehyung was the cutest person she has ever met for everything about him screamed aegyo.

But, more importantly, what caught Eun Na's breath in a pause was his smile showcasing his small baby teeth while his lips formed the shape of jellybeans. She was fascinated by the fact that someone could smile and form such a shape effortlessly with their lips.

The little girl grinned as well, ecstatic with the jellybean smile and maybe because she was certain this boy wasn't angry at her anymore (read: at all). She started laughing along with Taehyung, their quiet giggles drowned out by the noisy assembly room.

"You're hilarious..." little Kim Taehyung wiped imaginary tears of joy from his eyes as he calmed down from his laugh. He was about to say that her dream was absolutely crazy and impossible but as he gazed at Eun Na grinning even brighter than before (how was that even possible, he thought) he kept his mouth closed, making a small reminder to himself to tell Eun Na some other time.

"I'm glad you're not angry anymore..." Eun Na stated, her eyes glimmering in relief. Her feet hung by the edge of her plastic seat while she occasionally swung them forwards and backwards. Her gaze lingered at the boy who was looking at her as well, a soft smile painted across his face. It was a shame that his lips didnt look like jellybeans anymore but Eun Na thinks that she'll do her best to get more of that jellybean smile.

"I'm Kim Taehyung by the way..." the boy grinned wider, amused by how carefree and lively Kang Eun Na was.

Eun Na gasped a look of glad surprise pained across her face, "Ooh! Daebak! How can you make your smile look like a jellybean?"

"Wha-" before Taehyung could continue his question he felt nimble fingers reach up and touch the side of his lips, barely grazing over the pink flesh of his lips.

"I like sweets, and jellybeans are sweet." Eun Na explained, her gaze up at Taehyung's surprised orbs (he was trying to calm his small heart down - such an alien feeling - but Eun Na didn't need to know that) "I like you already, Tae-ssi... From now on, we're the best of friends..."

Kim Taehyung smiled right after Eun Na leaned back, her fingers leaving his red face. But he never minded if she noticed the change of color. He didn't know if that was some sort of confession, as his Suho hyung's friends say when they come home with an armful of pink letters and chocolates, but all that mattered were the three words, "I like you".

Taehyung's first day in preschool was better than he expected, especially when he found a friend by his first hour upon his entry. She was Kang Eun Na.

And by the end of the day, as his Baekhyun hyung and Suho hyung came by to pick him up, Taehyung had this goofy smile matched with pink cheeks and a racing heart, one thought running though his mind on repeat, 'I like you too Kang Eun Na'

Never did he think that he'd still like her that much (or maybe even more) until adulthood.

;;;;;;

"WAKE UP LAZY !!!" Taehyung was harshly woken up by a loud shrilly voice while his body was being rocked side-to-side. "KIM TAEHYUNG!!! WAKE UP!!!"

"ALRIGHT ALRIGHT I'M AWAKE!" Taehyung groaned, his fist immediately rubbing his tired eyes. He glared at the culprit - Kang Eun Na, of course - before he spoke again, "Happy now...?"

"Ecstatic!" Eun Na excitedly commented as she turned around and shouted, "MOM! TAE'S AWAKE NOW!"

Taehyung heard a faint "Okay, breakfast will be ready soon, from downstairs which he assumed was from Eun Na's mother. He lied down on his bed again, fatigue still coursing through his muscles.

It had been Taehyung's and Eun Na's tradition to have daily sleepovers. Yesterday was the boy's turn to sleep by his room in the Kangs' household. Eun Na also has her own room in the Kims' humble dwelling because basically the both of them were somehow considered a second sibling by the other's family.

It was a Saturday morning. The two of them were both lucky to have gotten a schedule without weekend classes in university. Eun Na majored in AB Communication while Taehyung majored in BS Civil Engineering however they both went to the same college campus and somehow fate decided to make the both of them have the same time schedule although with different subjects.

Taehyung relished on how far their friendship had gotten. Somehow, he wondered how come they were holding onto each other stronger than those cheesy couples who promised forever towards the other, that is, a forever with an expiration date. Sometimes, Taehyung wondered if he should take their relationship to the next level but he first had to muster up enough courage to bring out a love confession from him. In the end, he'd think that's impossible because he'd forever (how ironic) find himself tongue-tied with a simple eye-contact with Kang Eun Na. Besides, such a long friendship was too much of a sacrifice for the satisfaction of his wildly beating heart.

The boy felt his bed shift upon the extra weight that he knew was Eun Na's, "You better not be sleeping again, dummy..."

"I ain't sleeping... just closing my eyes..." Taehyung lied still fully awake but eyes still peacefully closed.

Somehow, Eun Na couldn't drift her gaze from the mesmerizing peaceful look on her best friend's face as she remained seated by the bed. A soft smile lingered by her lips as she reached out and fixed Taehyung's bed hair, not the he looked unattractive with it.

Honestly speaking, Kang Eun Na thinks that Taehyung was such a handsome being hence the "Kim Taehyung fan clubs" and "billions of love confessions from boys and girls alike" at the university campus and even during their childhood school Big Hit Academy. However, it perplexed her how Taehyung would turn down the attention and even the confession from the prettiest girls in school. It perplexed her more when she would feel relief whenever she heard Taehyung say, "I turned them down. They ain't my type."

The girl didn't know why, but she somehow made a theory that she was just being an overprotective best friend. "Yeah, that's it... Nothing more, nothing less..." she mumbled one day while she clutched her chest, her heart beating furiously beneath the bones and flesh.

Eun Na snapped out from her daze as she jumped out of bed and took hold of Taehyung's arm, tugging him out of bed, "Liar. You're sleeping already."

"Guilty..." Taehyung chuckled while he defeated stood up from bed and followed Eun Na downstairs for breakfast.

Somehow, after the two said their morning greetings to their elders, Taehyung and Eun Na could not forget how their contact sent sparks all over their bodies. (Taehyung was used to this; Eun Na, however was trying shrug such sensation even though she's felt it intensify recently despite the normality of the gesture.)

;;;;;;

"Oh boohoo, it's his fault they broke up," Eun Na sarcastically commented. The two best friends were curled in the living room couch, watching the weekend reruns of some sappy Korean drama.

The girl had her back pressed against Taehyung's folded knees as the boy was comfortably occupying the whole length of the small couch, his hands folded behind his head as some sort of cushion.

"But you watch it anyways," Taehyung rolled his eyes and continued to watch the unveiling of more angst in the drama they were watching. It was almost lunchtime and the two were left alone in the house because Eun Na's parents were unfortunate to have been scheduled work on weekends unlike her. Taehyung didn't need permission from his parents that he was gonna stay over because they've already accepted the fact that the Kangs' household was Taehyung's second home.

Eun Na glared at Taehyung as soon ad her head turned towards the boy, "Shut up, Kim..."

The boy raised his hands in surrender, an amused smile decorating his smug face, "Hey, I thought you hated the show..."

"I hate the character, that's all" Eun Na mumbled, her focus on the screen, anticipating the lead character's stupid actions.

Meanwhile, Taehyung had the liberty of staring at the girl admirably for a few while before he sat up straight, with Eun Na's back still supported by Taehyung's knees.

It was until there was a shift in position that Eun Na had her head lying down on Taehyung's crossed legs. As usual, his fingers found its way to Eun Na's soft hair. He loved how the smell of her raspberry shampoo lingered along his fingertips, as obsessed as that made Taehyung seemed like.

The head massage had been a natural thing between the two of them, but somehow Eun Na felt different tingles shoot out from her body starting from Taehyung's subtle touches until every part of her body had been electrocuted with an unknown current. It's this feeling again, what is wrong with me? Maybe I am diagnosed with diabetes..., she thought.

The episode came to an end, but Eun Na stayed on that channel, wanting to listen to the OST of that drama. The awkward feeling she had when Taehyung combed her hair was long gone (although, her stomach did some subtle flips, she didn't know why) and she was now enjoying how softly his fingers massaged her scalp.

She blankly stared at the television showing the names of the cast and the frozen pictures, all the while wondering why Taehyung's warmth was warmer than anybody else's. (Not that she had ever been so close for so long with another human being other than Taehyung and her family [but even so, her father and mother's embrace weren't cozy as her best friend's]). It was until she heard a soft hum that she snapped out from her thoughts.

Eun Na instinctively looked up, recognized immediately where the familiar low pitch came from. To her surprise, Taehyung was looking down at her, his closed smile almost at the verge of forming her favorite jellybeans.

She watched as his Adam's apple bobbed up and down, harmonizing with the drop and rise of the bass of the song. She was mesmerized for a while, relishing in the wonderful tune Taehyung hummed. One thing she liked about Kim Taehyung aside from his jellybean smile was his soothing deep singing voice.

Since his childhood days, Kim Taehyung has already possessed an incomparable voice. During his pre-school days, Eun Na was amazed at how a child (as old as her) beautifully sang their national anthem every morning. By the elementary stage, Kim Taehyung's talent was showcased when Eun Na forced him to join a singing contest. He, of course, effortlessly slayed every singing competition since then. Because of that, a group of boys who named themselves Bangtan Boys Sonyeondan approached Taehyung and asked him to join their group. Eun Na frequently hung out with Taehyung and his group (BTS for short) and she loved watching them practice their performances for school ceremonies. She was absolutely proud of her best friend when he learned how to dance because since then his passion to dance and sing strengthened.

"How come you stopped singing?" she asked, her hand instinctively reaching up to fix the bangs that covered his soft-gazing eyes. The boy felt butterflies erupt from his stomach (as always), but he didn't have to let his best friend know that.

Taehyung sighed. He missed performing like when he was in high school. Those were probably his golden days, because he had everything he wanted then: a great band with great member-friends; a stronger passion for singing and dancing; and Kang Eun Na who seemed to have gotten even more beautiful and vibrant because of this thing called puberty (and somehow, the boy liked having the same puberty hit him because, let's face it, it hit him good). "College happened, Nana..."

Yes, College. College was no joke, especially when he had a scholarship to uphold and parents to make proud. College was especially no joke because he was a civil engineer major. Of course he does not know what difficulties other colleges experience (although he heard from college student passersby that psychology was the hardest subject so far), but one thing's for sure (and this is just for emphasis) COLLEGE IS NO JOKE.

"I guess you're right," Eun Na sighed as well. Ever since college started, she had so much trouble sleeping. Because in this level, you're on your own. Nobody tells you what to do, and that's the most difficult part alongside deciding what's right and wrong. She pities people who actually chose to ditch university and live life freely. However, she made a realization: a big realization.

That without college, you wouldn't have a decent job. Without a decent job, you won't get a respectable salary. Without a respectable salary, you won't have a great lifestyle. Without a great lifestyle, you won't gain success. Without success, there's no motivation. Without motivation, everything just falls apart. And when everything falls apart, there's no more hope. (Although she's read somewhere that all of these starts with having no pen).

"But, I miss your voice..." she whispered softly, her eyes mesmerizing Taehyung's (or maybe it's the other way around? OR, it's both?). Eun Na instantly blushed when she realized that she's said that aloud when she was supposed to say that inside the confines of her mind (and heart).

"I can sing for you anytime, Nana..." Taehyung ran his hands through her hair again, and this time it made an effect on Eun Na although she'd been very great on hiding it. "Just say anything, and I'll do it..."

Maybe it was the softness of his voice or the fingers resting on top of her head (pausing for some reason she did not know) or the mesmerizing glimmer in his black orbs, but all Eun Na felt was the thrumming of her heart beat along her ears and ribs. Somewhere along that feeling was the realization that Kim Taehyung was the most beautiful human being she's seen especially with that rebellious green tinged hair by the end of his long bangs and that forming-jellybean smile. Oh, that wonderful jellybean.

Kang Eun Na's eyes widened at a wonderful thought, forgetting the fluffy sensation just a while a go as she spoke, "I know! I'm gonna appoint you as my royal singer! BTS oppas will become your royal band. And the EXO oppa's will be my royal guards! What would be a great alternative name for your band in Dessert Kingdom? Oh! I'll call you Seven Fudge Bars. Oh! Oh! What about Golden Cakes? But, I think that suits Jungkook more..."

Taehyung watched lovingly as Eun Na talked on, as he's always done when the girl talked about her fantasy land. He did not care what ever she calls him and BTS, as ling as she'd always look for him. A smile was forming gradually at his lips as Kang Eun Na was now animatedly swinging her arms around.

He liked how Eun Na had her fingers by her chin while tilted to the side as she was in deep thought. He liked how her arm points up towards the air while her eyebrows raise up and forms a small 'o'. He'd love it even more when her voice says excitedly, "How about Jellybeans and Co.?"

At this, Taehyung laughed, his smile the same one as Eun Na had seen during their first day in preschool.

She was amused at Kim Taehyung's expression when he laughs. BTS had always for having split personalities for he'd be serious and quiet in a minute or so but by the next he'd be so goofy and stupid you'd question his sanity sometimes. At times he was cranky and snobbish (almost as if he's the handsomest person and earth and that nobody is worthy of his attention. but it is true that he's attractive af), rolling his eyes everywhere and sending glares at everyone else (but Kang Eun Na). Nevertheless, Eun Na has always liked how he was just the fun Kim Taehyung especially when he was doubling on the floor laughing but, "You look so pained when you laugh! Is it really alright for you to have this much fun?" to which Taehyung would reply at everyone else who says that to him "It's not my fault my lips are naturally turned downwards. I'm still cute anyways." Of course, Eun Na doesn't argue with that one.

"Why Jellybean?" Taehyung asked.

"Because, your smile looks so much like a jellybean! I don't get why your fan girls in high school even describe it as box-shaped. You ain't Baekhyun oppa." She sassily remarked.

"Why is it named after me then? Namjoon hyung's the leader..." Taehyung watched as Eun Na froze while her cheeks started to become pink. He wanted to chuckle but he knew best than to go through Eun Na's silent treatment. It had been already worse that his best friend ignored him for three days before, but he internally admits that he likes her so you can imagine the agony he had to go through those 72hours (all because he laughed at her for getting a really bad haircut. he should have comforted her instead, and that was taken note of).

So, being the scared best friend he was Taehyung shifted the topic, "I guess you're craving for some jellybeans right now? It's in the pantry, right? I'll go get it"

Taehyung got up from the sofa and ventured into the kit hen he knew by heart (read: since childhood) leaving Eun Na thinking, Dummy, I just like your jellybean smile so much...

;;;;;;

A week after that day, Kang Eun Na and Kim Taehyung found them so busy with college because their finals weeks were coming up. Nights at each other's house are spent with differently colored highlighters, notes, and subject books.

Unlike the girl who had to pull out all-nighters just to study, Taehyung was probably the most laid-back person. He studies, yes, but he never experienced ever staying up all night for such petty subjects (especially his chemistry minor subject that had the most heartless teacher who gave the hardest quizzes resulting to low grades of some students EXCEPT Kim Taehyung [huhu, I am so relating this portion based on my experiences. My chemistry professor is really so heartless. She practically ruined my life *cries harder*])

"When will this nightmare end? Taehyung heard a thud by his study table a few nights before the awaited final examinations week. He had finished scanning through his notes hours ago but his best friend was having trouble with her minor biology subject. He looked up to see Eun Na slouching towards the table, her hair creating a canopy that covered her face.

Kang Eun Na had decided to study in Taehyung's room because he was better with explaining stuff than her lousy professors. It was already eleven in the evening but she was trying her best to memorize confusing names. She had wanted to ask Taehyung for help, but she felt ashamed to do so especially when she looked over at Taehyung by his bed reading a book intently.

She knew when Taehyung was interested in something. It was the way his eyebrows were furrowed in the middle as his mouth soundlessly said the contents of the novel. It was the way he had his fingers by the edge of the next page so that he could easily move on with just a flick of his fingers. It was the way his eyes scanned the contents rapidly. It was the way he had to his lips that had become dry with just air exhaled as he spoke silently. It was the way he'd hold the book closer even when he had better eyesight than she did. It was the way he'd reach out at the bedside table for his spectacles that obtained no grade of sort (those round-rimmed glasses that was made for the purpose of fashion).

Eun Na heard a chair being dragged to the space beside her followed by the familiar low octave, "Why aren't you asking for my help, huh?"

Eun Na looked up momentarily just to see Taehyung facing her way with his head propped up by the arm by the table, his pale skin squishing her already crumpled reviewer papers (because she'd been holding onto them out of frustration while she's been remembering the terms). Somehow, she wanted to stare longer into his calm eyes, but she chose the opposite as she looked away and resumed her gaze at the reviewer her head was resting on.

"Because you were reading..." she simply explained while she tried really hard to imprint the scientific names in her mind, but nothing was really going in her head especially when she felt a warm hand ruffle the top of her head.

"You know I'd always choose you over a mere book, Nana..." Taehyung commented. As he replayed his statement, his heart hammered against his cheat realization dawning on him that what he said seemed to have given away such a huge hint of his feelings so he swiftly saved his slip-up by adding, "I'm your best friend anyway."

Taehyung stood up, his hand leaving a warm spot by the top of Eun Na's hand making her want more of the comfort. However, he was already by the door muttering, "You're just in need of your constant dose of sweets. My mother baked fudge brownies, I'll bring up milk too. I'll be right back."

As Taehyung's door clicked close, two hearts breaking into a million pieces suddenly seemed so deafening all because of that painful 'best friends' card.

;;;;;;

"Why'd you want a graphic shirt that says 'Aliens Exist'?" Eun Na burst out in laughter as they were by the Kim's living room, doing absolutely nothing because school was over for the holidays.

They watched the lights of the nicely decorated Christmas tree beside the huge television flicker in different tempos as Taehyung devoured his own bucket of buttered popcorn while Eun Na ate her big reseal able pack of gummy bears.

The day after the last day of their exams was the annual Christmas party of their university. And, as usual, the students had set the norms that secret santas were supposed to give their gifts that day. Taehyung asked for that exact same shirt he is wearing while Eun Na's was obviously a pack of sweets.

"It's better than a plastic full of diabetes," Taehyung commented while he rolled his eyes, a gesture Eun Na was always amused of because his orbs never really actually roll instead they shift from left to right (idk if that's true but Ill just add that up bc I can't think of anything else to put in that statement).

"I ain't ever getting diabetes. Remember the doctor saying that to me during my monthly check-ups?" Yes, Kang Eun Na goes to the clinic monthly to check if somehow she'd posses the said disease over a month of overdosing with lots of sweets.

"You're really something," Taehyung chuckled while he faced Eun Na, "You eat tons of sugar, but you ain't even getting sick! You ain't even gaining any-"

"Don't dare say it, Kim Taehyung," Eun Na warned, her gummy-bear-sticky finger pointing accusingly at her best friend.

But before he could stop himself, he'd finished his statement, "weight..."

Kang Eun Na groaned. It was true, and it bothered her every time. For a skinny girl, she wanted to gain so much weight because she felt ugly with her flesh almost touching her bones if it werent for the minimal muscles she had in between.

However, Taehyung never once saw her as an ugly person (probably because when someone likes someone they'd always see the perfection in the person they admire the most). Kang Eun Na wasn't as pretty as the models he'd seen in television and magazines nor those popular girls in the school he'd attended to. But, Eun Na was enough of a beauty that caused men to turn their heads towards her.

There was just something about Eun Na that was so alluring, physically and emotionally. It was like she's this sticky caramel sauce people dip apples in during Halloween - you'd be stuck to it without further resistance. But then again, who doesn't love the unique sweetness of caramel sticking through every part of your mouth? No one.

"What? You're not that ugly, Nana..." Taehyung commented. This time he was panicking because he slipped once again. This time, he did not want to give the friendship excuse ever again because even though he'd long accepted the truth that there was no 'next level', it still hurt. So, this time, Kim Taehyung stayed quiet for a while.

Two hearts were beating so loudly against two pair of ears. It was fortunate that the other couldn't hear them.

Kang Eun Na was used to compliments coming from Kim Taehyung and her busted suitors (she wasn't that un-pretty. Like Taehyung said, men had to turn their heads when Eun Na pass by. And believe me when I say that Taehyung had to keep in so much self control not to punch the owner of those traveling eyes.), but she couldn't understand why she'd be feeling this flustered now of all times.

"No one's ugly for you," Eun Na coughed awkwardly, "Because you strongly believe that everybody's beautiful no matter what."

Bile was unconsciously running up along Eun Na's throat as she continued, "Especially that block mate of yours who picked you and gave you that shirt."

Eun Na gasped, her eyes widening, "Oh my Gosh! You totally like that girl! That's why you're wearing her gift!" Eun Na had to try so hard in preventing her voice from cracking up, and thankfully, she was successful. She even pinched his cheeks for no reason at all, her force harder than usual.

Taehyung lightly slapped her fingers from his cheek while his hand flew up to massage the swollen area, "First of all, that hurt (he didn't know whether it was his cheek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter