D-3

- D -

No doubt, both males had a blast.

 

Laughter and smiles filled the entire day and the two couldn't stop stealing glances at each other. Taking note of every eye crease and soft chuckle every time the other would make a joke. Setting aside the fact that they simply spent their day in the mall, the two men enjoyed it as much as a regular couple would on a regular date ignoring the painful fact laid flat on their dining table, remaining untouched.

 

Breakfast outside beside the park, they arrived at their favorite restaurant at 8:30 am sharp. Wonshik ordered his regular, toasted bread and eggs and butter with a side of hot chocolate. Hakyeon skims through the menu but gives up entirely after three or four times he'd gone through every available meal. Nothing new seemed to be catching his attention.

 

"I'll take my usual, too." Wonshik smiles at the fact that some things couldn't seem to change.

 

The waiter bowing at the both of them as he noted down their meals, never failing to be that one person to serve them to their heart-- or rather, stomach's content. For three years already, in fact.

 

"How delightful," Hakyeon thought. "he's never seemed to forget about us. He's smiled like that at me ever since the first day I dragged you here, Shik-ah."

 

Wonshik chuckles in agreement.

 

Hakyeon starts to notice how Wonshik was acting different today compared to his attitude a few days ago. He ponders about the divorce papers again, his smile being replaced by a frown.

 

"What are you thinking?"

 

"H-hmm? Nothing, nothing."

 

"The usual, sir." The waiter carefully places Wonshik's plate in front of him then Hakyeon's. Wonshik had always commended at his attentive service which is why he never thinks twice whenever Hakyeon would ask him to eat breakfast here when he was too lazy to cook, it was never in his list of regrets.

 

As if by reflex, Hakyeon would unwrap Wonshik's utensils and properly fold the napkin on his lap before placing it back in front of Wonshik. Reciprocating this, Wonshik would take a slice of mango from Hakyeon's plate while he was at it. Hakyeon would protest but it had become a common occurrence that both parties just settled a truce, meaning, Hakyeon taking a strawberry from Wonshik's plate.

 

One bread with the eggs and the other dipped in hot chocolate. This was Wonshik's breakfast dynamic. He would soak the last piece of break in the warm mug that Hakyeon couldn't dare attempt eating. Except for this one time.

 

Hakyeon took a slice from his plate, holding it firmly with three fingers he dumped half of the bread in the warm beverage. He didn't soak it as much as soaked bread really made him shudder, he was after the taste. He proceeds to place it in his mouth, he moves in closer to avoid any spills and drips on his clean clothes and bit off the entire part.

 

Wonshik laughs. "What are you doing?"


"Trying to check what you see in… this." Hakyeon continued to shudder. He chewed slowly while making these faces that Wonshik couldn't stop giggling at but eventually his expressions started to soften. The texture wasn't entirely disgusting, as he thought. It was soft, yes, but the bread absorbing the melted, sweetened cocoa was truly a new taste to his buds.

 

"So..?" Wonshik looks at him expectantly, awaiting his 'You were right, Wonshik-ah' or 'This is pure genius, Shikkie! You're a genius for discovering this'. Similar thought continued to inflate his ego when Hakyeon finally blurts out.

 

"Disgusting."

 

--

 

Wonshik curled his fingers around a sleeping Hakyeon's hair. He starts to wonder how long ago was the last time Hakyeon had a haircut or a drastic change of hairstyle. He's always appeared to keep this specific 'bowl' cut. He wasn't complaining, it looked great on his, to be honest.

 

Maybe that time when Hakyeon was becoming such a workaholic that he's forgotten to trim it. It was pretty long, long enough to reach his nape. Wonshik didn't complain about it. In fact, he did appreciate how it curled behind his ear at some point.

 

His soft expressions while he slept simply made Wonshik smile some more. He looked way better this way than when Hakyeon would start raising his voice at him when they argue. He always hoped to see less of it but as time went by, it only gradually increased. Three years looked like enough time for him to think twice.

 

He started to wonder whether if Hakyeon put up this much effort in keeping the relationship before the divorce papers appeared in their life, would he have thought otherwise?

 

--

 

That afternoon was spent mindlessly wandering around the mall. Mostly, window shopping.

 

Neither of them wanted to buy anything, the mall was simply conveniently close to their house and Wonshik didn't plan this day enough properly. Basically, they were simply killing time.

 

Well, who cares what they're doing as long as they get to spend time together, right?

 

Hakyeon walked alongside Wonshik, occasionally stopping by every shop window and cooing at the things he wanted to buy in the future.

 

A grill, an inflatable pool, new curtains with matching bedsheets, clothes, etc.

 

Wonshik tugs on Hakyeon's wrist after he flails about a new pair of dancing shoes he could buy after almost an hour. Wonshik was being a hypocrite. He would freak out about a new pair of Jordans just as much as Hakyeon is right now. He firmly held his thin wrist in his big hand, enclosing it entirely.

 

"But Shik-ah-- I really need new dance shoes!"

 

"That's what you said about the waffle iron."

 

"But you like the waffles I make."

 

Hakyeon continued to whine like a little kid, and started pointing at other stores.

 

"Wonshik! Wonshik! Look at those leather pants! They would look real good on you"

 

Hakyeon shifted his hand from behind held onto by the wrist to holding Wonshik by the hand, dragging him inside the store.

 

"I have a similar pair at home, Hakyeon."

 

"These are different. These would make your thighs look slimmer."

 

"What's the differen-- Do my thighs look big?"

 

Hakyeon snickers and tugs on Wonshik to another rack. This goes on for an entire hour again. Wonshik's grasp on Hakyeon starting from his wrist to his hand, gradually ending up around his waist.

 

Like how he always does.

 

--

 

Unconsciously, Hakyeon grabs onto Wonshik. Usually it was Wonshik who holds onto Hakyeon while he slept and Hakyeon found it simply irresistible. He would try his best to stay completely still to avoid waking up his sleeping lover even though he was the heaviest sleeper's he's known, even Hongbin said so. Unbeknownst to Hakyeon, he's slowly adapted this sleeping habit from his husband and now it was Wonshik's turn to stay completely still.

 

He fails, though.

 

Who wouldn't be able to help caressing Hakyeon's soft cheeks as he slept? And how he nuzzled them on Wonshik's chest. Wonshik made sure to hold Hakyeon close even though the bed was big enough for the two of them, his arm securely wrapped around Hakyeon while he slept soundly in Wonshik's tender embrace.

 

That night, the couch was ice cold.