006

The Time Traveller

"Aren't you going to reply, you mutt?"

'fire appeared in the palm of his hands.'

 

Upon recounting the events that had just occurred, Lynn was overwhelmed with shock and disbelief. At that moment, the young girl felt like she was going to cry and break down in the middle of the road; in this strange and unknown place.

 
But Lynn wasn't that kind of person; right now, the one thing she didn't want was to attract attention, or act vulnerable. She knew that crying would get her nowhere. If there was one thing she had to do, was that she had to figure out the reason why she was here, and find a solution to return back home. 
 
More so, she needed answers. Yet, on a desolate street like this; was there anybody who could help her?
 
After pondering for a long time, Lynn walked further down the road, she now saw a giant market place that appeared in front of her. Instead of the straight road, there was now a huge circle in front of her, there were small stalls everywhere, and a swarm of people. This time, she could clearly see the difference in wealth and status. Of course, those fancy silk robes were not seen in this market; she assumed that those were for the extremely rich, or the "royals" the man had called them. The first group she categorised were the ones dressed in the cotton material; for the males, they had black, circular, see through hats that were placed so that it covered their bun, and the hats had jewels stuck on it, the females' dresses were long and flowing, beautiful patterns of dragons, phoenix, and butterflies adorned their attire; their hair were also grander; more effort had been put into it as there were many more accessories. The second group she saw, were the ones who also wore cotton robes, but the colours were a little duller, and the patterns on them were simple patterns of lines or flowers. The males wore black, wide-brimmed hats that covered their faces, and the females had their hair tied up, with only one or two accessories. She saw the most of these type of people, and with her quick-wit, assumed they were seemingly the 'middle class' of this society, making up most of the population. Lastly, she had categorised the very few men and women with grey robes, as the ones with the lowest status. The women had dresses that were shorter and their hair was left out. The men, on the other hand, only had a simple, navy ribbon around their bun. 
 
Suddenly, Lynn was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard a small commotion afar. Walking towards the direction of the noise, she walked to the middle of the market, and turned to her left towards another road. There, she saw a girl dressed in dull grey robes. She was cornered by a few boys who had the big, wide-brimmed hats. 
 
"Are you really going to keep coming to school, Yuan Mei? Do you think you're good enough to even step out in that place?" she heard a boy sneer at the girl who seemed just a little bit shaken.
 
The girl didn't reply him, and Lynn noticed how she fixed her expression and glared at the boy who had spoken to her.
 
"Aren't you going to reply, you mutt?" the same boy roared again.
 
Lynn furrowed her eyebrows, and turned back to where the market place was; it was still bustling with people and no one seemed to care about what was happening over here. 
 
She wanted to help this girl, but then she stopped herself. She didn't know what place this was; she was defenceless herself, and she wanted to help somebody? What a joke.
 
Sighing, she stared at the girl once more, heard the boy spout some insults, and took a step away. And another step.
 
Then she heard a thud.
 
Sharply turning around, she saw the pale girl collapsed on the ground, and the boys snickering at the defenceless girl. It was obvious that he had kicked her, hard, so that she flew backwards.
 
The girl slowly flickered her eyes opened, and glared at the boy. She slowly tried to stand up, and Lynn noticed how the boy who had insulted her before had lifted his hand up, and....and fire appeared in the palm of his hands. Lynn's eyes widened, even though she was scared, she was cowardly, but she hated injustice, more so, she hated violence.
 
She ran over, and in no time, she found herself in front of the girl and glaring at the boy, shielding the girl from the attack he was about to send from his hand filled with fire.
 
The boy raised his eyebrows and took a good look at Lynn.
 
"Whose this strange looking freak?" he exclaimed, displeased that he was interrupted by a  strangely dressed girl.
 
Lynn crossed her arms, placing a courageous facade, when in reality, her heart was beating as fast as lightning, scared half to death by the many possibilities that could turn out from this situation.
 
However, before she could even reply the boy, the boy abruptly flew backwards in a flash, his hat flying with the wind, and he skidded on the ground with a loud screeching noise from the friction between his back and the stone-cobbled ground, a few metres away from Lynn now.
 
Lynn turned back to see the girl, whose eyes were now a scary red, and her hands stretched out, as if...she had been the one who had done that.
 
The boy coughed, and a stream of blood dripped down his mouth.
 
"You!" he spluttered as he pointed at the girl in disbelief and shock. The other boys ran towards that boy, helping him up with haste.
 
Then, Lynn heard the girl spit out with lethality in her words, "I may be a mutt in your eyes, but your abilities don't come near as powerful as mine. Wind will always blow the fire. Remember that, Han. Leave before I have to do more to prove that."
 
The boy seemed defiant, as if he wanted to fight her, but Lynn saw one of his friends shake his head, and they vanished from her sight almost immediately.
 
Overwhelmed by what just happened, Lynn leaned back to hit the brick wall, her head throbbing with pain.
 
She saw the girl in front of her now, her eyes still shining a dark red. 
 
Lynn was afraid.
 
She was afraid in this very moment, that she would end up exactly like that boy before.