Chapter I

The Monstrous Prince and her Chambermaid

"Whats wrong Soojung?" She whips her head to her friend who was walking over to her. She sighs for the nth time that night and places the phone back to its cradle.

She had just received a call from her brother's boss to inform her that the car waiting outside the restaurant where she works parttime will take her to the company building whenever she's ready, and to tell the truth, she wasnt and she's never going to be.

"Sulli, I need a favor." She tells her friend, but judging how the other girl nodded her head, she's sure that she already knows. "Oppa did something again, didnt he?" She smiles wryly as she takes off her apron.

"In case he comes by, please tell him to wait at the house. I'll deal with him when I get back." Her friend nods her head and squeezes her shoulder in sympathy. "Thanks Sulli."

And then she takes her leave, pulling her coat from the hook before she goes out by the back door.

"Ms. Jung." The driver greets her with a straight face as he opens the door of the passenger seat. She mutters a thanks before she settles down in the confines of the car.

She draw a heavy breath that didnt go unnoticed. "Dont worry Ms. Jung. Mr. Liu is a good man." The driver tells her which didnt ease any of her worries.

Earlier that day, her brother showed up in front of her school asking for help. Telling her that he didnt mean to do it, that he's supposed to give it back but he lost it in a poker game. He didnt make any sense to her at all and when she was about to ask him what's really going on, a police car passed by and her brother ran off.

Subsequent to that event, she received a call at her workplace as soon as she arrived, telling her that her brother's boss wants to see her and that the meeting has something to do with what his brother stole in his office the night before.

She then understood why her brother was so scared, why he was telling those things. He had just stole something from one of the richest business men in the country and he's afraid that he'll go to jail, that why he ran from the police car who just happened to be on a patrol.

She didnt refuse the invitation and instead asked the man if she could finish her shift first but the man has a flight scheduled later that evening and cant change any of his plans for her. With eyes closed and a heavy heart, she went to the restaurant's manager and asked for an under time, luckily, the manager wasnt strict when it comes to emergency matters.

And now, she's sitting at the back of the car, on her way to her brother's boss' building.

"Ms. Jung.." The driver calls her attention. She then realizes that the car had already stopped in front of a big building which she guessed was the Liu Enterprise. "We're here."

The driver runs to open the car door for her which she thanked him for yet again. It was the first time that someone opened a door for her or drive for her, and for a moment she felt like a Princess. But that dream was short-lived as soon as she steps out of the car, reality slaps her hard on the face.

There she stand, feeling like an ant compared to the tall building that stood still in front of her and its owner can squeeze, crush, and step on her within a second if he wants to. And she prays to all the gods that he wont.

"Ms. Jung, please rest assured that you wont be hurt and nothing bad will happen to you. Mr. Liu is.." She cuts the man off, "A good man.." but there's something gnawing inside her that she can quite figure out what. Fear perhaps, mixed with nervousness and guilt.

Her brother just stole something from the man she's about to meet, so no one can blame her from feeling intimidated.

What can an eighteen year old girl do to amend her brother's crime?

"He's not going to ask me to be his slave, is he?" She covers as soon as she blurted those words out, surprised that she managed to voice it out.

The driver looks at her for a moment and laughs. "Miss Jung. Ive worked for Mr. Liu for 40 years. My whole family had been working for his family years before that and I can assure to you, he's still in his right mind and never in his life had he done something unjust."

Somehow, that eased her mind a little bit. Atleast she knows or a part of her believes the driver's words.

She heaves a sigh as she steps inside the building.

Working hours was finished, hence the abandoned building floors and deserted lobby. 

The driver knocks on a door which she assumed to be her brother's boss' office. "Mr. President. We've arrived."

A voice tells them to come in.

She followed closely behind the driver as they went inside, heart beating rapidly in mixed emotions.

"Welcome Miss Jung. Thank you Mr. Park." And with that, the driver left the room but not without casting her a smile and she's sure that the driver was just trying to calm her down.

"Im sorry that we have to meet like this but as you now know, your brother stole one of my precious belongings. I couldve easily turn my back on him and let this issue go if only he did not stole my heirloom. You see Miss Jung, that diamond ring Mr. Jung stole worth a lot and considering that my family had it for centuries, that's already antique so we're not just talking about millions here, billions Miss Jung. But youre not here for that. I know your background, a smart student by day, a hard working waiter by night. Both parents died in a bus accident and only have your brother as your family but sadly, he hadnt done his role lately, had he?" She's unable to answer. She's utterly speechless by the fact that his brother stole something that she cannot pay even with her own life or both hers and her brother's life combined and that the man had her background checked.

Her brother wasnt generally bad, he failed some things in life and that includes taking care of their finances, that forced her to work at the restaurant. His brother has some gambling problems, so even when he has a stable income from being the company's cleaner, they still find it hard to make the ends meet.

"We've retrieved the ring but we had to buy it out from the person Mr. Jung lost it to in a poker game. Im not going to tell you how much and Im not going to send your brother to jail, but in one condition, you have to work for me."

She needed time to let everything sink in. One second, he was telling her that her brother stole billions-worth diamond ring and another second, he got the ring back and another second, he wants her to work for him. 

Well that escalated quickly.

"Excuse me?" She has no other words to say. As if she lost the ability to think suddenly.

"Take it or leave it Miss Jung. Mister Park will be waiting for you downstairs, he'll take you wherever you need to go." The man whom she only had the chance to properly look at, seemed to be at the same age as her dad if he was alive. His face has soft features that indeed says how good of a man he is, it has no tint of evilness or anything close to that. He looks so pure, so innocent and so kind.

"Why are you doing this Mr. Liu?" She asks, wondering to herself that the man can just throw her brother to jail considering that he got his ring back, so why go all through these? She cant help not to think that there's more to it than what the man was telling her.

"Would you rather have me arrest your brother for stealing?" She fell silent, refusing to meet the man's eyes. "You'll be alone if I do that. And Im not a bad person Miss Jung, I wont take away your brother from you. He broke my trust, yes, but I try to see past people's fault so Im just going to give both of you a chance to redeem yourselves, I wont send him to jail but you have to work for me in return." The man looks at his watch. "Im afraid we have to cut this meeting short Miss Jung. I have a plane to catch."

"Wait Mr. Liu." She calls out to the man before he walks out of his office. "May I ask, what kind of work are we talking about?"

"A chambermaid's."