iii. On Rainy Days

Subtle Touches - A Jeongcheol Fanfic Collection

*CRASH*

The sound of plates crashing echoed through the small apartment, muffling the thunderous screams of Seungcheol and Jeonghan. 

Grasping their breaths, Seungcheol looked at his wife, hunched up on the corner, crying, his long hair scattered ungracefully on his face.

"You know what, Seungcheol?," Jeonghan held his head high, "this isn't working. Let's just... just... end this." Jeonghan continued.

Seungcheol knew this was coming. Clearly, fighting every night isn't healthy for a couple. But somehow, he hoped that he and Jeonghan were different. But they weren't.

"Okay. If that's how you want it." Seungcheol got up, got his car keys and got out of the messy apartment, leaving his crying wife.

And on that rainy night, everything that mattered to him, got flushed down along with the rain.

Walking under the pouring rain,Seungcheol found a park near the apartment. He settled on the lone swing at the far end of the park.

Seungcheol never knew where everything started to take the wrong turn. 

Was it when they first met? Was it when he got the angel's number? Was when they got married? Was it when they started living together? Was it when they got busy with work? He doesn't know. 

Seungcheol looked up at the night sky, darker because of the rain and remembered that fateful day he met Yoon Jeonghan.

-- 

It was his senior college year when he met Jeonghan, he was an engineering student and the latter was an architecture student.

They met through Seungcheol's friend, Vernon who was the boyfriend of Jeonghan's younger brother, Seungkwan.

Once, Seungcheol accompanied Vernon to one of their dates, coincidently, Jeonghan became an overprotective brother and accompanied Seungkwan. The two elders unfortunately got ditched by the two love birds. In the end, the two spent the day together, acting as if they are on a date. By the end of the day, the two are already comfortable with each other and even exchanged phone numbers.

They continued to contact each other, and eventually, they started to have feelings for each other. 

Seungcheol decided to court Jeonghan. After almost 6 months and on a rainy night, Jeonghan became Seungcheol's boyfriend.

Time passed quickly and after 3 years of dating, they decided to tie the knot. It was a simple garden wedding, inviting their closest friends and family.

They decided to live together on a one-story apartment that they rented for a few thousand won monthly. The start was smooth, sweet morning cuddles, breakfast together, weekly dates, steamy nights but those good things started to take a 180 degrees turn, there were no more cuddles, instead, Jeonghan always found himself alone on their bed because of Seungcheol's work, breakfast was often spent alone on the kitchen counter, weekly dates became scarce until there was none, and steamy nights became replaced with loud shouting, breaking of house furnitures, hurtful words, and tears.

Each fight was accompanied by rain. Seungcheol can't help but think that the heavens have been giving them signs of their slowly destroying relationship. Seungcheol wished he took the chance and patched up the holes in their relationship, but he didn't he just passed the signs. 

----

Some 4 years later, Mingyu saw his bestfriend, Seungcheol, sitting on the same swing from which he found him, 4 years ago, soaking wet from the night rain. Mingyu took Seungcheol to his apartment because the latter has fever. Mingyu doesn't know the reason his hyung was soaked in the rain, but he guessed that maybe Jeonghan and him got into a fight like they always do. Mingyu was surprised when he learned that Jeonghan has called it quits. Mingyu figured that maybe Jeonghan grew tired of fights but he still couldn't believe it. Seungcheol and Jeonghan has always been so in love. But Mingyu already knew, nothing will last forever. Mingyu walked closer to Seungcheol and saw that the elder was crying, like he has been 4 years ago.

"Hyung. Is it still Jeonghan-hyung?" Mingyu asked

Seungcheol just nodded to Mingyu's question. It has been good 4 years, but the memories, good and bad, has always been there. It never left him. It haunted him and sometimes it comforted him. But most of time, it tortured him. Maybe it's true that when you try to forget, it's when you remember. The rain didn't help, whenever he felt that he is one step from forgetting Jeonghan, it rained, and the memories came flooding in like rain. And then the rain will stop, and it will rain again. Seungcheol is trapped with the memories, and regrets.

If only he stuck on a little longer,

If only he held on to his love for Jeonghan more,

If only he sacrificed a little more,

If only he endured,

then he and Jeonghan would still be together.

Seungcheol is disappointed with himself, although foolish, he still wishes that Jeonghan will find him and take him again.

Seungcheol tried to drown the pain with alcohol but when he started to sobber up, the memories slowly start surface again.

Seungcheol doesn't know where this will end. But,

on rainy nights, Jeonghan's memories, come and haunt him.

and when the rain stops, and slowly, little by little, the memories will stop too.

But when it rains again, the memories he tried so hard to forget,

it all comes back.

 

 

---

Okkkkk. This is inspired of B2ST's On Rainy Days. As you may guess, I'm a er for slow/ballad songs. It just gets me emotional~~~~ please enjoy this short update <3 (i think this is only 800+ words) kkkkk~