[ V. ]

frost patterns on the window

5. searching for hidden gifts 


 

"I know it's ballet shoes." Hakyeon said out of the blue, fiddling with Wonshik's pinky finger while his other hand gripped a set of papers he was leafing through. Wonshik's attention diverted from his laptop to Hakyeon, a fond smile curling his lips while he weaved his fingers through Hakyeon's and squeezed his hand gently.

"No, it's not," he denied for the hundredth time, tugging Hakyeon towards him so he could nestle him to his chest, kiss his temple.

"I'm pretty sure it is," Hakyeon insisted, his nose creasing, "when I told you my ballet shoes are worn out, you did that thing."

"What thing?" Wonshik tilted his head, confusion dressing his features. Hakyeon leaned into him more and sneaked his cold hand under Wonshik's shirt, making him hiss.

"You rolled your eyes. Like, you look at the ceiling for a few seconds when you concentrate on something." Hakyeon relayed as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, and Wonshik was baffled.

"Do I?"

"Yeah."

"So, maybe I was concentrating on the image of you in tights." Wonshik grinned, and the subsequent smack on his tummy didn't make his smirk falter.

"No, you thought, this. This is what I'm getting Hakyeon for Christmas." Hakyeon persisted, falling off Wonshik's lap and neglecting his papers, looking around with a scrutinizing eye.

"I bet it's somewhere close. I can feel it."

"Are you going to play detective now?" Wonshik teased, following Hakyeon as he searched in every nook and cranny. Hakyeon was stubborn, and Wonshik was the slightest apprehensive he'd be busted too soon.

He would have to improvise.

"Aha!" Hakyeon hollered, a joyous yelp resonating in the room and waking Wonshik up from his reverie. Wonshik kind of panicked.

"Baby.. " Wonshik pleaded futilely, and Hakyeon winkled the white box from underneath the enormous stack of caps Wonshik owned.

"Quite predictable, Wonshikkie." Hakyeon clicked his tongue, mirth visible in his expression. "If this isn't a shoe box, then I don't know what it is."

"Hakyeon.. " his tone held a hint of warning, though his voice was small and he ducked his head. Hakyeon was startled when the box was pried out of his hands and he looked at Wonshik, eyes wide.

"Let me.. let me put them on for you."

"So, it is ballet shoes, after all." Hakyeon said with a brilliant smile, a rosy tint in his cheeks when Wonshik knelt down.

Wonshik shook his head, trembling fingers gripping the velvety, delicate shoes. He then grabbed Hakyeon's socked foot and gently slid it into the right shoe.

Hakyeon's face scrunched up.

"There's something in it.. Wonshik." He pulled his foot out, then leaned down to take it from Wonshik's hand, peeking inside and noticing the pastel blue handkerchief that clearly encased something. He picked it up.

Wonshik was still kneeling, now on one knee, his elbow propped up on his raised thigh as he tipped his head so he could watch Hakyeon. Fretful and scared, his stomach bubbling, unable to ease the nervousness.

Hakyeon's heart surged. The crystal embedded in the center was shimmery, the edges shiny as well. He felt at a loss for words, arm falling as if numb to rest against his side and Wonshik snagged the ring from his fingers, barely succeeding in holding it properly.

Hakyeon was already teary-eyed, looking as if he could burst into sobs any minute and Wonshik was even more overwhelmed when he knelt down beside him, touched his face, running his fingertips from his cheekbones down to his jaw.

"Hakyeon," he started off shakily and Hakyeon skimmed his fingertip over his lip gently, leaning forward to kiss him. It made Wonshik's confidence escalate and it made him once again realize why he loved Hakyeon - they were each other's crutch, they were worlds that collided and blended perfectly and as sappy as it sounded, Wonshik knew there was no better fit for him than Hakyeon.

There were a few words he prepared, of course, but they slipped from his mind as soon as he saw Hakyeon's nervous but delighted face, the gorgeous smile that never failed to make his heart burn with affection.

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Wonshikkie." Hakyeon promptly mimicked his words.

"I want you to be mine," Hakyeon was glowing, a small chuckle spilled when the tears threatened to fall.

"I'm already yours. Forever."

Wonshik felt tears gathering at the edges of his eyes.

"I want you to marry me," Wonshik's voice cracked, a tear sliding down his cheek that Hakyeon quickly wiped away, ignoring the glistening trails on his own face.

"Yes. Yes, I will," Hakyeon croaked out, letting Wonshik take his hand and slide the ring onto his finger. It was a perfect fit.

He was pulled to a warm chest next, face burrowing in Wonshik's shoulder as he half-sobbed, half-laughed, holding him tightly.