[ III. ]

frost patterns on the window

3. a warm glow from a fireplace 


 

"We're lost." It was flatly said, not a question, but a certainty. Wonshik looked troubled, didn't respond at first, but then his mouth opened and he mumbled, wary of any onslaught.

"No, I just made a detour.. look how beautiful it is outside, babe." Hakyeon looked at him with an incredulous expression, and Wonshik noticed a vague mocking note in it.

"I'm freezing to death!" Wonshik flinched, clutching the steering wheel with his other hand, too, the one that was running up and down his thigh to warm it up.

"The heater.. " Wonshik mumbled timidly, "I think the heater broke." The roll of eyes that came from Hakyeon was imminent and so were the pout and the way he turned away from him, gathered the blanket on his lap and let it encase him like a cocoon.

"We are in the middle of nowhere and the heater is broken. We will freeze to death, this is what will happen." Hakyeon huffed out, and Wonshik sighed as if he had been defeated in this pointless fight of egos. He stepped on the break and parked the car; probably shouldn't have done it on another person's property, but it will just have to do - it was too late to knock at someone's door and he hoped they could at least stay curled up together in the car until morning sneaked in. As soon as the drone of the car fizzled out, Hakyeon took Wonshik's hand and tugged it under the blanket, running fingertips over the cold skin, head however still turned away from his boyfriend. Wonshik stuck close to him, letting his hand nestle between Hakyeon's thighs and his cold nose brush at his neck.

"I thought this was the way, I swear..."

"Shush." He said nothing more.

A noise startled Wonshik and Hakyeon, already having been on the verge of sleep, rose with a moan of frustration. "What's it?" He inquired, but got no reply as Wonshik stretched a bit over him to look out their window. He recoiled with a small gasp as he saw a man, heart thumping before it settled to slower, more relaxed beats. The man was much older and Wonshik bowed his head politely as the window was slid down. "Can I help with anything?" The man offered and Hakyeon glanced at Wonshik, encouraged him with a nod. "We are lost.. we don't really have a place to sleep in tonight." He said sheepishly, not knowing if the man was actually going to go to the extent of letting two strangers in his house. But to their surprise, he smiled kindly and beckoned them over with a hand.

"You can come inside. I don't have an extra bed, but there is a sofa in the living room." It sounded inviting but they were unsure, not wanting to disturb after all. "It's okay, my wife is already sleeping. My kids have moved out long ago." Hakyeon smiled shyly as they got out of the car and they took turns shaking the man's hand, introducing themselves before they stepped into the house. It was homely, a sweet smell lingering in the air. "My wife's been cooking a lot since she's retired. Come in, come in." He urged them on and Wonshik instinctively slipped his fingers through Hakyeon's, his boyfriend scolding him with a reprimading gaze before he wriggled out of his grasp. "The couch isn't too big, but I'm sure you won't mind if you are a bit cramped." He smiled knowingly and it had the heat rise in their cheeks; the man was rather observant, catching on fast. "If you have some more blankets yourself.."

Hakyeon ambled outside and to the car to retrive more blankets and returned with an armful of them and some other things he deemed necessary. "I'll excuse myself, then." The man said and Wonshik pulled slightly on his elbow before he was gone. "Thank you." He only grinned and patted Wonshik's arm gently. "I think you are too trusting, what if we are bad people, though?" Wonshik said worriedly and the man laughed. "My gut feeling tells me you are good kids. I trust it."

Wonshik smiled to himself and then turned around, taking in the sight of his cute, shivery boyfriend hemmed in the blanket, head tilted as if asking why he wasn't joining him yet. He slid under the blanket and tried to haul Hakyeon on his lap, but Hakyeon shifted, moved away as if he remembered something. Wonshik watched him with a glint of curiosity in his eyes, surveying his movements, eyebrows raised in surprise as Hakyeon reached for the bag of marshmallows he brought from the car and impaled one with a stick (Wonshik remembered they shared candy cotton yesterday). Sliding to the floor, Hakyeon scooted closer to the flames dancing in the fireplace, the bright coral light reflecting in his eyes.

"What are you doing?"

"S'mores." Hakyeon replied, tone dull. "I'm hungry." Wonshik joined him, snagging the blanket with him and splaying it on Hakyeon's back and shoulders. "Do we even have chocolate?" Hakyeon dipped his head in a nod, then rested it on Wonshik's shoulder. "You know, we should have a fireplace in our future home." Wonshik said with a casualness that made Hakyeon grin beside him.

"So, you're saying we're getting married later, Wonshikkie?" He prodded, poking his side childishly, "Are you asking me to marry you?" Wonshik jerked away due to the insistent pokes, then split his legs and pulled Hakyeon in between, cheek mushed against his nape. "Wonshik!" Hakyeon persisted, a wide smile curling his lips, the clearest display of fondness shown on his face. Wonshik stayed silent, face pressed against the soft curve of Hakyeon's shoulder, picturing the small, soft hued box that has laid hidden under his clothes for too long - and he realized, warmth swarming in his chest, that it was time.