[ II. ]

frost patterns on the window

2. "all I want for Christmas is you"


 

There are sparkling lights everywhere, the smell of winter wafted in the air and he blows gently, a column of air sliding out his throat. He beams, tucking the thick scarf against his neck better, walking into the house. He is welcomed by smiles equally as bright that only dim a little when they realize he has come alone, no arm around his shoulder or hands on his waist, no hoarse, scratchy voice wishing them a merry Christmas. Hakyeon's own smile dwindles a tad, but he tries to be as cheerful as possible, "Merry Christmas," he says, sincerely, turning around to gesture to the trunk of his car, "I will need someone to help me carry the presents." His mother looks fondly at him before she engulfs him into a tight embrace and his father, too, hugs him briefly before stepping outside, mist making him squint his eyes as he rushes to his son's car. Hakyeon pats gently on Wonshik's mother shoulder when they hug, exchanges a sad smile with his lover's father. "Wonshikkie was called last minute," he relays softly, a hint of wistfulness in his tone. "They said they were short staffed, and since he's in first year.. you know how they treat them. They need to do anything." Another dejected smile surfaces, but despite the regret clawing at him that Wonshik won't be there with them, he is also happy because Wonshik is doing what he's always wanted, no matter how hard it is, he rarely ever complains, takes it all and only works harder and harder. Hakyeon is so, so proud and he doesn't fail to tell him that every time he feels Wonshik's confidence plummet.

The night progresses relatively quickly, and despite the bubble of happiness surrounding him (because Hakyeon could never be sad on Christmas, everything was too festive around him to really allow room for any sort of melancholy) Hakyeon feels as if it deflates, pricked by a huge needle when he notes the absence of Wonshik even more, when there are no joyful hollers or hands wandering on his waist or kisses under the mistletoe. His mother notices how his expression shifts and she knows how he feels, overlaps his hand with hers and squeezes gently. "Go see him," she encourages, and Hakyeon wants that more than anything else at this very moment, but he knows Wonshik is most probably busy. "I'm sure he will be happy to see you too, Hakyeon," she insists, "if you do just even that, I know you both will feel better." His stomach twists, he wants to go see Wonshik, but he flounders - for a moment, because then he's out the door with an apologetic smile and his thickest scarf cradled to his chest as he heads out in the chilly night, the sight of the glittering sky above surprising him, making a wider grin tug at his lips. The travel there feels too long, even though the roads are mostly empty, and when he finally finds himself in front of the hospital, he exhales a sigh of relief, traipsing inside and feeling small, as if he barges in what he shouldn't have, but he can't help himself.

He doesn't exactly know where to find Wonshik, but after asking around, a couple of pretty nurses tell him where they'd seen him last time; the way their eyes light up at hearing his lover's name makes Hakyeon scrunch his nose, but he doesn't have time for that. Rushing down the hallway, he stops abruptly when he notices Wonshik's figure leant against the wall at the other end of the large corridor. His eyes are closed and his head bangs against the wall with a soft thud and Hakyeon can see he is exhausted, can feel the tiredness emanate and his heart stings. His steps are quick as he saunters towards him and Wonshik doesn't have time to say a word, breathless. Hakyeon throws his arms around his shoulders and buries his face in his chest, torsos pressed together and he feels like he melts into Wonshik, a happy smile tugging at his lips. Wonshik cups his jaw, tilts his head so they can meet eyes.

"Hakyeon, why—"

 "I couldn't not be with you on Christmas." Wonshik's eyes speak of fondness when he looks at Hakyeon, a small, tired chuckle making its way past his lips, fingers affectionately at the hair above Hakyeon's nape.

"It's quiet now, but it might get worse later,"

"I'll stay with you," Hakyeon's words flow right after his and his lips curve in a loving smile as Hakyeon turns sheepish, "I mean, if I'm allowed to." Wonshik leans onto him, chin rested on his shoulder and Hakyeon's scent - sugary sweet, concotion of rose and freesia and some others Wonshik couldn't remember - relaxes him, a surge of elation breaking out, the bitterness he'd felt all thoroughout the evening fizzling out. Hakyeon fumbles for something in his pocket and when he victoriously cheers, Wonshik can't stifle a laugh when he sees a tattered mistletoe hanging above their heads. "Come on, kiss me, my arm is starting to get numb!" Hakyeon whines and Wonshik's softer, fatigued laughter fills the air again as he snags the mistletoe from Hakyeon and tucks it away in his own pocket. "I don't need a mistletoe to kiss you again and again, dummy," he scolds tenderly and they both flush with warmth as Wonshik hauls Hakyeon to his chest and kisses him, gentle and languid.

"Merry Christmas, baby."

"Merry Christmas, Wonshikkie."