[ IV. ]

frost patterns on the window

4. hot chocolate 


 

It's edging into winter. The harsh wind bites at his skin and he tugs on the scarf, pulls it closer to cover his mouth. He is certain he deserves a small dose of happiness after the disastrous exam and walks in the recently inaugurated coffeehouse, lured in by divine, strong coffee aroma. Unfamiliar, he plops on the seat beside the window, peeks outside only to joyfully notice masses of snowflakes cascading down and blanketing the ground to protect it preciously. A young waiter approaches him and his eyes wander to find his name tag, but notices none; he chuckles and the boy's eyebrow curves, asking for explanation, but Wonshik dismisses him kindly after he places his order, hot chocolate and a mocha with a layer of espresso on top. He takes two sips of the hot, steaming beverage and notes to let it cool down after he burns his tongue. The cafe is quiet, only a few people at the tables - he can count them on his fingers, but he likes the placid atmosphere. His gaze is caught by a cup of coffee and the straw that peeks from it and he's amused, corners of his lips curling upwards. Who even drinks hot chocolate from a straw? His gaze roves higher, over a gossamer scarf curled around his neck and then settles on the stranger's beautiful face. The glossed lips move silently as if he's reading words to himself, and probably he is, seeing as he has a lump of paper in front of him, and more sheets splayed on the table. Wonshik's interest is piqued, but he doesn't know what to do, intrude in a person's private space especially as he is obviously preoccupied with something or be a simple observer. The curiosity gets the better of him and he stands, walks to the man's table with a sheepish face but bold words as he asks if he can sit down. He gets a timid nod in response, but then is surprised as the stranger isn't shy at all, instead initiates the conversation he so badly wanted to, but failed and instead stared at his face. And he stares a little more. But the other man, Cha Hakyeon as he learned, is no better than him, gawking with lovely curiosity, soaking up every shift of expression and Wonshik adores it. 

"I wanted to ask you," Wonshik starts after he sips on his now manageable coffee, "how come you drink chocolate with a straw? I think that's weird. And kind of cute." 

"I don't, usually," Hakyeon replies, a soft flush risen in his cheeks, "but just when I have so many papers around me and I'm afraid of spilling it and soiling my work." 

"What are you working on?" Wonshik pries, tries to find as many questions as possible (which is not difficult, because so many swirl in his head) and prolong their time spent together.

"I'm studying business and management.. it's an important project I gotta hand in soon." Wonshik nods, "I'm in medical school," he blurts, suddenly embarrassed because he hadn't been asked. 

"You must be very hard working," Hakyeon compliments as he arranges his tousled bangs, "I'm sure you will be a great doctor in the future." Wonshik smiles, almost stupidly giddy at the encouragement he's been given. 

Hakyeon plucks the straw from his cup and instead blows a little at the chocolate, lips pursed. His next words die in his throat when he feels soft lips against his, Wonshik's fingers splayed on his cheeks and his head cants to deepen it, pulling away after a long moment with a huff.

 "You didn't kiss me when we first met, Wonshik! Why aren't you doing this correctly?" Wonshik laughs, intertwining his fingers with Hakyeon's over the table, tenderly tightening his hold.

"But I wanted to kiss you so much back then when you did that." He clarifies and Hakyeon feels his face heat up before he spills a peppy chuckle. "What even was the purpose of recreating our first meeting, baby?"

"I wanted to feel that wonderful nervousness again." Hakyeon slides his chair closer and curls up to Wonshik, the soft mop of hair colliding with his shoulder. Wonshik grins, leans his head on Hakyeon's gently.

"And did you?"

"Yeah."

"Me, too."