Five

Read Between the Lines

D-7.

Coming to Fantasia at an early hour, everything seemed to be back to her first day of coming to the company. Everyone is in a riot, passing on files and papers to each other. A few were coming back and forth from their cubicles and the meeting rooms. She could not fathom two months had already passed since she was given the tasked that turned her world upside down. All she ever thought when getting hired in this production company was to fulfil her passion in making and helping other people’s dream come true by seeing their favorites live. She was not well aware of the stress that awaited her by then, but nonetheless, despite losing hours of sleep, she’s still enjoying every bit of her job.

Passing by each of her co-staff on her way to her cubicle, Minhee didn’t forget to greet them with sweet smile, “Good morning”, “Have a great day”, “Good luck” and sharing the good energy to use for the stressful day. For having such a good sleep, she didn’t want her mood to again get spoiled by another of the Kim Sunggyu’s nagging mouth and annoying temper attacks.

She grabbed the piled folders on her table and soon left the office to head on to the new first tour venue. They only have a week left and it sure is a busy day not only for their team, but for everyone helping with the concert. The concert is coming near to a start, pressure is building more and more. Minhee’s already mastered the art in this department. Being through a lot of it for the past three months in preparation for this very big day for Sunggyu and his fans, yet nobody could tell what could still happen in the process.

Only two hours have passed since Minhee arrived at the venue, and she’s almost voiceless with all the talking she’s done with each of the staff their tasks. She even still have a meeting after lunch, with none other than the Kim Sunggyu. She had to look normally fine, un-stressed, or else he’ll surely find a way to piss her more.

After that one day with him, she never wanted another one ever again. He’s the noisiest thing she’s encountered. He’s never gone empty of things to say. “In what aspect is he even likeable? Sure, his voice sounds great. But he’s got the biggest mouth and the smallest eyes.” Minhee mumbled to herself as she was rechecking the things the production needed. “His mere proud existence is the most annoying—“

“Minhee-ssi! Let’s go grab something to eat? You look all used up already and we’ve only been here for a few hours.” One of her co-staffs at the venue called out and walking to her place which woke her from the thoughts that were running through her stressed brain. “S-sure. I’ll just clean up these papers,” she smiled, then went on piling back the papers in her arms and walked with her co-staff to the nearby café.

She was having a fifteen minute break with some of the staff, when her phone suddenly rang and vibrated furiously in her pocket. Flashed was the name Team-Manager Lee, who was left at the company to check the smallest details they still have to seal with. Minhee immediately picked up her phone and answered while putting down her cup of sweet milk.

“Yes, Lee Howon-ssi?” she asked as she stood up and walked slightly far from the others to hear the man from the other line clearly.

  Relay me the updates for today.” she heard on the other line.

  “The lightings are all set and works great. The stage lifts are being tested just in case there are malfunctions. The torches and fireworks though hasn’t come yet. I called them this morning to follow up on it. They said they will bring it over later this afternoon and test it out as soon as it’s set. Other than that, everything is going on smoothly, as planned,” Minhee relayed to the man on the other line shortly yet clearly, ending up with a proud smile on her lips.

“Good to hear that then. You will meet with Sunggyu-ssi am I right?”

Minhee frowned upon hearing the name and remembering what happened the first and second time they interacted. But she made sure her voice won’t reflect it, an advantage and skill to learn in this industry. Most especially when handling things with a client over the phone.

“Yes that’s right. We will be having a short meeting over lunch for a briefing, then a short rehearsal and testing the equipments he will be using.”

“Okay. Great job. That’ll be all Lee Minhee-ssi. Update me on what will happen later. Also, make a short report about today, don’t forget to send it over via e-mail or leave it on my table tomorrow.”

“Yes. I understand,” answers Minhee and the call hanged up.

She inwardly sighed in relief and looked over at everyone who seemed to have finish their snacks and drinks already. She’ll make sure her walls won’t breakdown in front of Sunggyu again this time.

 

Another interview-slash-concert promotion was done. Kim Sunggyu is heading backstage with his manager and coordinator, and while his manager relays the next schedule he will be having.

“Stage rehearsals for the first tour venue is only what’s left for today Sunggyu-ssi, the following days will all be practice and rehearsals for the concert,” Checking the schedule one more time, his manager found nothing else and followed Sunggyu’s lead through the backstage. A sly smirk flashed on the artists lips.

Meeting up a few of his co-artists backstage, he passed by a guy with an outstanding blond hair who is a couple centimeters shorter than him. The guy's presence is really noticeable yet Sunggyu just passed by him and head on to the basement parking.

On their way to the first new venue, Sunggyu unconsciously glanced to the space by his side and remembers the cramped situation they were in. It made him cringe and he opened the windows slightly to breathe in some air. Fans dashed to their vehicle as they drove out of the venue to take a peek of him. Camera flashes came from everywhere. Some fans were handing him gifts through the small gap of the car windows which he accepted. He smiled and waved at everyone and slowly closed the windows to his comfort. Along the way to the venue, he fell fast asleep at the backseat.

Minhee was patiently waiting outside the concert hall for their guest. She's been repeating and rechecking all the things she needed to relay to Sunggyu, just enough for him to at least be impressed once again.

A white foreign car, obviously and no other than their VVIP’s, stopped by the entrance. From the backseat stepped out the majestically proud being who seemed like he just woke up, seeing how his hair was slightly disheveled on one side. He squinted his already small eyes and looked around the place with a slight pout on his lips. His irritated expression showed that his sleep was disturbed and it was unforgiveable.

The said being looked at Minhee's direction and Minhee instinctually bowed to greet. It was unexpected, the proud being bowed back at her, and it was not just a simple slight bow. It was a bow showing his crown, a full 90° bow to show respect. Minhee stared at the man and blinked in her surprise. "That's a first. He must have been really sleepy," Minhee mumbled as she bowed back, still confused by the being's surprising action. She walked to where Sunggyu was when his manager just stepped out of the car and also greeted Minhee.

"How have you been Sunggyu-ssi? I hope you're ready for the overnight rehearsal," Minhee smiles politely. Sunggyu cleared his throat, “I'm always okay. Don't worry about me, you should worry about yourself." The Sunggyu she knows is no doubt awake now.

“I’m used with these things Lee Minhee-ssi. You should take some energy drink. Do you want to go grab some coffee first? It’ll be my treat,” Sunggyu nodded at her and she just shook her head.

“Sorry, but I don’t drink coffee,” she answered as politely as she could.

The person from a while ago felt like it was only made by her imagination. She cut off thoughts that were starting to build inside her mind. She just ignored the fact that Sunggyu’s presence is still intimidating her despite seeing him for eight weeks straight now. Minhee motioned the way towards the venue’s entrance and said, “Why don’t we get inside this hall to discuss some things that are related to the upcoming concert? Shall we?” She tried her very best not to sound irritated and smiled the best way she could even though she knows Sunggyu is well-aware on the impact he could bring to any girl around him.

 

The meeting about the concert set list has been discussed by this time. Minhee’s job is to relay this to the technical and audio directors for them to be guided on what to do later tonight and seven days from now. She looked at the set list was amazed at the count of songs and special performances Sunggyu had to do for his fans. She had realized only then that Sunggyu’s going to sing almost all of his chart-topping songs in this comeback concert; definitely sums up why this concert has been a hot topic all over the nation the moment they announced its dates months ago.

It’s already nearing seven in the evening and the stage manager is seen giving out signals to Minhee, showing two thumbs. The stage is all set and the artist is now allowed to walk on stage to start the overnight rehearsals.

Minhee briskly walked towards backstage to call on Kim Sunggyu’s attention. Along the way one of the stylists’ reaction seemed to be screaming with panic on seeing her approaching the artist’s room. The staff bowed at her and she enter the room. Minhee though was not bothered by the look of the woman whom she just saw for the rehearsals need to be started right at this time.

Once she got a look inside the artist’s waiting room, she was greeted by a man fully covered in sheets and could hear him as slightly snoring. She could not help not to sigh in irritation and disbelief. Her eyes kept on rolling at the fact that the man who was lying on the couch was none other than the man that needs to step out and needed to be on stage.

Minhee approached the man on the couch and nudged him lightly, but Sunggyu didn’t budge. Her hands was stretched out and was about to nudge the man again when Sunggyu suddenly sat up, letting the sheets fall from his head. With an eye open and pouting lips, Sunggyu groaned and looked up sleepily at the person whose hands was right on top of his head.

Minhee only reacted when she noticed Sunggyu’s eyes moved from her face to her hands which was on top of his head. She immediately pulled back her hands and cleared before stating, “Sunggyu-ssi, you should be on stage already. The crew is waiting for you to get the rehearsal started.”

Sunggyu threw the sheets on the side, fixed his hair before getting up and pulled down his undeniably oversized shirt. He passed by Minhee’s side without a word and closed the door behind him as he left and headed straight at the backstage. Minhee’s mouth hung and was speechless at that another rudeness by none other than Kim Sunggyu. She, as well, left the room and head to the tech booth to supervise and direct the production in Hoya’s place.

The rehearsal finished as early as 11pm and before leaving, Minhee once again checked the props, techs and their staff. After everything and seeing the concert hall staff close the venue, Minhee walked to the parking lot to meet Sunggyu and his manager to thank them for today’s work as well as bid them goodbye. Sunggyu stood by the side of their vehicle and was talking to his manager as Minhee approached them. Sunggyu’s manager noticed her coming towards their way and greeted her with a bow. Sunggyu nudged his head to the side and his manager moved inside the vehicle.

“Thank you for your hard work today,” Minhee greeted and bowed politely to the proud being. Sunggyu said nothing and his manager handed him something from inside the car. Minhee looked up to see a medium cup of drink in front of her. Seeing the packaging, she knew it was from the venue café.

“Here’s the treat I told you earlier.” Sunggyu says as he handed the cup over to her and put his hands back to his pockets. Minhee was rendered speechless but still accepted the token. Sunggyu went in the backseat and Minhee bowed to them as their vehicle left the venue, holding the warm cup in her hands. She made sure that the vehicle is out of sight before she head back to the venue to check if all the other staff packed up and left already. She took a look at the cup in her hands and noticed a note stuck on it.

You owe me one. -K.S.G.

Of course, he would not be giving out a drink without wanting something in return. She was supposed to be irritated but Minhee just chuckled to herself. She indulged herself to the warm honey tea that soothed her overused vocal chords as she waited for a taxi ride home.