Three

Read Between the Lines

The second day in Fantasia went well. It was not as toxic as yesterday when her schedule happened to be jam-packed the moment she stepped her foot inside the company’s ceramic marble floor. That later resulted of her getting a position which would stress the hell out of her few weeks ahead from now when the artist, entertainment company and Fantasia start to work together and settle things for the upcoming concert. But for now, she was assigned to review past events that the production company have organized to give her a brief background on how the company settle things. She was given pile of complied books, which were created by her sunbaes and past Fantasia employees. In there, they had written a lot of their experiences in handling work. A smile crept in her lips as she kept on turning each page and view different feelings of the people behind each productions. 

     Fantasia has been running in the industry for almost two decades now and is known to be one of the best in the country. They have served a lot of entertainment companies. Artists whom they had worked with could not express how much gratitude they feel towards the company. Many sports events were also managed, but this time, they were about to invest in their most expensive and largest yet show of all time—the concert of one of the most popular artist in South Korea: Top Artist Kim Sunggyu. 

    Nervousness and excitement filled Minhee’s body. This is her first production as an employed staff. It has been her wish since then to be part of such productions that would cater a lot of people in a huge dome or concert halls. She was never a big fan of music. But to her, organizing an event for people is already an achievement. Especially when she dealt with artists with big names. 

     Despite knowing singer Kim Sunggyu, she only knew him by his name and a few of the controversies circulating around the artist’s name. She never had the chance to hear any of his music though she knew how almost all of his songs has topped various music charts, not only domestically but also overseas especially in Japan, China, and Taiwan. And now, because of this, she’s scared to face the man for she might be judged as a noob and ignorant person. 

     “So, how was the meeting?” Minhee was startled when her colleague, Hye Jin intently bumped her swivel chair to hers. Their cubicles are next to each other. She continued, “Did you see the gloriousness of the Kim Sunggyu? Waaaa~ He’s so hot!” If only in real life could one see how Hye Jin’s eyes seemed to have exchanged on heart-shaped-like while saying those things. 

     Minhee could only response to small smile but scoffed inwardly. She could never get why people were so overly attracted to that man. She thought, he has small eyes, a very thin line to be exact. And the way he carry himself? Oh, he looked so boastful, full of pride. She could never, ever stand people who were so full of themselves. Just because he’s one of the greatest singers of this generation. He could not even make himself sit down and hold a pen to create his own music, he only sing the songs coming from the real geniuses.

     “Wow, how could be unaffected by his charm?” Hye Jin moved a bit away from her, looking confused and shrugged. She looked at her nails then continued, “I think you are the only one in this company who’s not into him. That is why maybe Manager Lee appointed you in this project.” “I am? The only one?” that statement made Minhee flinch in surprise, pointing to herself as she asked Hye Jin about it. Hye Jin only nodded then leaned closer to Minhee’s ear and whispered, “You are one hell of a lucky woman." 

     And with that, Hye Jin stood up laughing teasingly from her seat and walked towards the coffee maker machine located at the kitchen area in their room. Minhee sighed deeply and rested her head over the pile of folders she just finished reading, just a few minutes before Hye Jin came fangirling and teasing. Just by thinking about the upcoming meetings and trips madde her exhausted already. I should at least know his music right? Minhee mumbled to herself, grabbing her phone beside her and started typing on the search bar. 

Kim... Sung... Gyu. 

      In just a click, a flood of news articles and clips, music videos, and press images filled the screen of her phone. Wow~ that guy really is... uwa~ seeing how the search engine was filled with thousands of results, Minhee was surely overwhelmed. Hye Jin was right, in some ways. The guy was really good at everything. Literally everything. An award winning artist at a young age, a multi-achiever during his debut days. He's won over many topping artist at many music shows. There were a few issues she know of already but everything were all covered by again, many of his achievements. 

     Minhee spent the rest of her day to know the man she will be working with and for. She had her headphones on and listening to Kim Sunggyu’s music releases throughout his seven years of being an artist. A few were only a featuring but it was still a hit to the mass. All had a hint of rock, as Minhee noticed. Those electric guitar riffs and the light to heavy drum beats sure did its job to make a mark for the song. The songs ‘60초’ and ‘Kontrol’, which were one of Kim Sunggyu’s best-selling hits, surely were the best without a doubt. The songs talked about two lovers: the first talked about their not so short of a love story; and, the other was a man still holding on to the girl to be back. Both implying the man was left behind to wait. The two songs repeatedly played in Minhee’s head even until she arrived home. The day went on flawlessly and thankfully she survived another day without any problems. She peacefully went to sleep that night, wishing that the following day would not be as busy as today with Kim Sunggyu’s ‘Kontrol’ lulling her to sleep. 

 

The week passed without much pressure. There weren’t still much to do other than those everyday meetings regarding the confirmation of concert venues, ticket prices, and sponsors, also the crucial stage set-up, audience seating and ticketing. During these meetings, Minhee never again saw the main character of all these preparations. It was only his company representatives who were there to attend the meetings.

    Quietly sitting in her cubicle and typing the report for the finalized agenda from last week, Minhee’s company line suddenly rang which she answered immediately seeing the number flashed on the small digital screen. 

     “Yes, Manager Lee. How can I help you?” Minhee rolled her swivel chair slightly to the back to see if Hoya—Manager Lee was calling her through the glass walls. His blinds were closed, like always, so Minhee rolled her chair back to the table and listened to the response from the other line. 

     “I would be gone today till three days after for a meeting with our international sponsors for the concert. Can you do me a favor and take care of Mr. Kim and his staff tomorrow and the next two days about the venue locations and stage set-up?” Minhee could hear him fixing his things through the other line. She again peeked at the room right beside her cubicle and saw that the blinds were up already. Hoya was putting on his coat with the phone held between his head and his shoulders while looking at her through the dividing glass wall. 

     “Sure thing Mr. Lee.” Minhee grabbed a nearby notepad and a pen to write a reminder for herself. 

     “I’ll be coming out to give you your tasks.” Hoya, putting down the phone, headed straight for the door after to Minhee’s cubicle and fixed his cuff links. 

     “What would you like me to do sir?” Minhee looked up at Hoya when he arrived at her location, thinking that this will mark the start of real hell for her, keeping a small professional smile on her lips. 

     “Tomorrow, they will be coming to meet you at one of the venues.You will be visiting each of those tomorrow.” Manager Hoya pointed out the names of the venue choices on the list written on a documented paper being kept in a red folder. 

      He continued, “He’s a meticulous guy and a real perfectionist, so expect he would be pointing out changes regarding the stage and seating set-up. Bring Hye Jin with you since she’s the one in charge of these.” He said in a matter-of-factly way. 

     He picked up the notepad that Minhee was holding and scribbled what seems to be his directions. “Keep note of the changes and always track the time. You should be at each venue for at least thirty to forty-five minutes.” He ordered while handing over to her the pieces of scribbled papers for the venue addresses. 

     “Okay sir, noted.” She kept the notes tucked in her small working notebook and turned again her focus on Hoya’s directions for her. 

     “The company provided a vehicle for you and Hye Jin to use on these three days, as well as lunch allowance for you two, Mr. Kim and his staff. Take them to a luxurious restaurant or buffet.” Minhee nodded shortly as a response for each of Hoya’s orders, making sure each words were clear and getting into her mind since he was speaking in a rush.

     “The following two days, assist and guide Hye Jin and her team with the set-up and seating changes. If there would be a problem, notify me as soon as possible.” Hoya lifted a hand to check on his wrist watch before leaving his last orders for Minhee’s task for the three days he would be gone. 

     “Do your best, I trust you on this Lee Minhee. Don’t fail me again.” Hoya said sternly with a hint of worry. Knowing that Minhee is still newly adjusted Hoya surely still have the doubt about giving these tasks. She still have that late-comer and forgetful impression on him but seeing how her work improved throughout the week gave him another light of hope. 

     “Yes, sir. I won’t fail you again.” Minhee displayed a genuine smile and fist-pumped slightly to at least show him a hint of her determination, making Hoya smile slightly. 

     “Okay. See you on Friday.” Hoya gave her a small ‘Fighting’ fist-pump back, and slightly pulled down his coat before turning and leaving for the elevator. Minhee chuckled slightly at herself and mumbled, this will be the start of everything but let’s not fail anymore Lee Minhee. Fighting! 

 

She would be lying if she say she did not feel any pressure at all from the task her boss had given to her. Who in the right mind would feel composed knowing you’d just been an employee of a company for a week yet you were already given a lot of tasks—tasks which depend many lives? 

    Minhee woke up from the alarm of her phone at six in the morning. Basing from what her boss told her, the person she was about to meet was a very meticulous man so she gathered all of her strength to wake up at such an ungodly hour. For pete’s sake, her usual time for waking up is at seven o’clock. Imagine how many dreams could have been made up from the time she was supposedly sleep. But then, she now needed to be professional in everything, now that she’s working for herself and for someone very close to her heart. 

    Hye Jin and Minhee arrived at the said meeting place forty minutes before the assigned time, as what Hoya had instructed to her yesterday. The management had agreed to meet at the first venue; it was in Seoul, a gymnasium with a capacity of ten thousand people. A lot of concerts and conventions were held here and was the third largest stadium hall in the country. Not bad to be a venue for a solo concert, she thought. 

    After ten minutes or so, three-black-car-convoy stopped right in front to where Hye Jin and Minhee were standing. They were greeted first by the man whom Minhee could remember of, he was also in the meeting a week ago. He was a passenger coming from the first car. 

    “Hello, you must be Ms. Lee Minhee?” Minshee nodded. He continued, “Mr. Hoya informed me ahead that he’d be away for days so he appointed you as his representative today.” He smiled at her and reached his hands, asking for a handshake, “By the way, I am Sunggyu’s manager. I am Lee Jung Wook. Please take care of us.” He bowed.

    Minhee was hesitant first when he reached out his hand. She did not know whether to accept it or not because she’s not the kind of person who greet people by giving physical contacts but she thought she might be rude if she did not reciprocate the action so she did accept the handshake in the end. 

    Clearing her unwanted thoughts, her attention was now shifted when she heard knocks coming from Jong Wook’s knuckles since he was knocking through the car windows of the second car. Minhee and Hye Jin’s eyes were locked to what was happening in front of them, both anticipating of what would happen next.  The person behind the car windows opened it and was greeted by the sunlight that was coming through his direction. It was as if he was glowing just by sitting inside the car. No one could see his eyes for he was again hiding those behind the very same large glasses he wore back in the meeting that was held a week ago. As expected, he stepped out of the car lazily, both hands on his pants’ pockets, and shoulders slumped showing lack of interest from what was happening right at this moment. 

    Finally, after a week, Minhee saw once again the almighty artist whom they were about to give service from now on. Now, only fewer meters away unlike from their last meeting.