Two

Read Between the Lines

Now that Minhee had met her manager a while ago, she was now worried how things would turn out for her. She wasn't perfect, and more often than not, she commit mistakes excessively. She suddenly remembered how she was dubbed in her collegiate years as "smart dumb". Despite her cleverness, she was so clumsy to the point where her classmates won't let her hold important things like documents and academic papers because they were fully aware there was a 200 percent chance of her losing all those files. And when accused, her sole reason would always be the same: “I have forgotten where I placed those.” The fact that she has been accepted to one of the most premier production companies in the country, she felt so much pressure and she was even nervous that her clumsiness might bring her to being a black hole once again.

     Lunch had passed and Minhee was still not finished in organizing her things that were to be put on her cubicle. She was able to meet a lot of staffs and employees of the company—all who have already mastered the play of the work. Many shared their hoobae years to her, listing down the do's and do not's when in workplace. They also gave her such warning that brought chill to her spinal cord. Almost all of the employees warned her about their production manager slash boss. Everyone was worried big time knowing how Minhee was just starting and already made her destiny in line having to be close to Manager Lee starting from now on since both of them would be part of the upcoming production Fantasia was about to handle. And in what they had heard, this was going to be the biggest investment yet of the company--this just added another load to Minhee's pressured head.

      After getting satisfied on her now neat and well-arranged desk, Minhee finally had the chance to sat down on her swivel chair. A relief it was to finally be able to rest on a seat where you wish to be the most of. Difficulty in finding the most comfortable position, she kept on making her body twitch little by little from left to right. When she found her place, she closed her eyes and rested the back of her neck on the chair's neck support. She was in the middle of internalizing her life when she suddenly heard loud steps coming towards the door. Many of the staff came rushing to the door, some even putting out their phones. Minhee being so curious on the happening, stepped out of her cubicle and joined the crowd. She tried tiptoeing and jumping in place to see who's responsible of the commotion. Sadly, what she only saw was the person's honey brown hair and the large glasses that covered the person's eyes. There were excited chatters,chuckles and giggles after, and still a clueless Minhee at the side.

     “He looks so manly.”

     “Ahh~ no doubt. He’s a real top star.”

     “His presence is so strong.”

     “Do you remember about the issue…”

     “Back to your cubicles people! Meeting is in fifteen minutes. All require staffs, report to the conference hall, NOW!”

     Hearing that, Minhee was taken back to her senses. She haven’t read the papers the production manager, Hoya-ssi, required her to read. In panic and rush, she headed back to her cubicle. Grabbing the folder on top of her desk, scattering the papers to the floor in the process. After picking up all the scattered papers, she bid goodbye and bowed politely to the remaining staff saying she had to go on first to the conference room.

Walking, at the same time, reading in a rush, Minhee didn’t notice she was walking in the wrong direction. Scurrying past the conference hall and turning at the wrong end of the hall. Once she got in the room, she took the nearest seat to the door and continued reading the papers. She was only processing the words in her mind when she realized, it was not the papers she was supposed to read, and there was this one person staring at her from the far end of the room.

Neatly tucking in the papers, she discreetly closed the folder and tried to act as calm as she could. Thinking of the mistake she made, and hopefully remembering where she must have turned wrong to arrive at that room, she sat there quietly as if nothing is wrong. She tried her best to ignore the penetrating gaze at her from the far side of the room. It was really awkward, until the man at the corner stood up. Panic rushed to her wholeness, noticing the man was heading her way. Instinctively, she stood up, holding the folder in her arms and went ahead the man to leave the room. With quick steps, she left the man behind her and happened to luckily bump into one staff.

     “Excuse me, can you direct me to the conference hall?” Minhee smiled shyly and felt the string gaze upon her back once again. She cringed unconsciously when the man went past her and turned at the closest corner. Hearing the directions from her co-staff, she bowed in thanks before leaving. She knew she will be heading the same direction as the man did earlier. She was confused at how someone could have such a strong presence even without making such actions to be noticed.

Relief, at the same time worried, she finally got into the hall seven minutes before the start of the meeting. She quietly slipped into her designated seat when her production manager seemed to be busy with his phone. She pretended to read the papers she was holding when people started filling in every seat of the hall. She greeted her production manager politely and was about to relax when he greeted back as well, in a rather strict way again.

     “Where were you? You were supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago.” Lee Howon, who was fixing his coat, whispered as he sat by the seat beside her.

     “Sorry, sir. I got lost on my way, I went into the wrong hall.” Minhee said apologetically, looking down on the folder, her hands fiddling nervously on her lap.

     “I understand that. But I think you got the wrong folder.” Howon told her as a matter of fact. He was looking at the folder she placed on the table. It was indeed labelled with a green note, instead of the outstanding red one. Minhee looked at the folder, mentally cursing herself for failing to do her first task right.

     “Y-yea~ I’m really sorry for that.” Minhee bowed slightly, feeling really disappointed on herself. Instead of sulking more, she shifted her attention to check who were inside the hall.

     There were lots of people; familiar faces greeted her, faces she had seen the moment she applied for the company last month and people who belong to the same team as she’s in now who were introduced to her a while ago. She smiled at every staff who noticed her doing so. It’s the least good thing she could do after getting lost and failing at such an important task just now.

     As her eyes make its own adventure, her gaze landed on the very same man who gave her scrutinizing stare couple of minutes ago. Curiousness filled every part of her system for she could not seem to figure out why the man look so familiar to her. Just like how he did a while ago, he was just sitting there quietly as if not minding the commotion around him. There were images playing inside of her but none of those helped her in remembering why. And again, it seemed he knew someone was looking at him, his face turned to her direction. Threatened, she dropped her eyes on the folder infront of her once again and eavesdropped to the conversation Mr. Lee Howon was having with one of their staffs.

     “Yes, please do so. Can you also ask our remaining helping hand to prepare coffee, juice and water for everyone?” Minhee noticed Howon smile slightly to the staff before turning back to his seat.

     “Make a short and quick run through these files since we’re still waiting for another important person,” her manager slid over the same red labelled folder in front of her after talking to the staff.

     “Important notes are written on the side and some are highlighted. I hope you can get on fast through the meeting.” Mr. Lee said before he turned back to the staff beside him and discussed a few things. The meeting proceeded and has made sure to be following the program designed for today.

 

Minhee was so lost in every production jargon she has been hearing during the passing hour. Though she had indulge herself in theatre productions back in her undergraduate years, the job that she’s now in is not something to be parallel to those tiny plays. Yes, she might be regarded as one of the best marketing or sponsorship staffs by their production manager, the difference from then and now is so evident. She’s now working in Fantasia and dealing with the real world.

     Minhee could already feel her eyes getting droopy and hands being numb from jotting down notes for her production manager, Mr. Lee. Despite all these inevitable happenings one could experience in attending such meeting, she had to open her eyes and be attentive to what their client has to say. An hour or so has already passed but she has not seen the person whom they were about to give service of—the artist who would be touring the whole country to share his music and be one with the fans once again. Everyone seemed to know it already, but she’s kind of embarrassed to ask being the said assistant manager for the big event.

     The meeting was about to be adjourned and Minhee could not wait any longer for the clock to tick five PM that signal her first in Fantasia has ended. They tackled and were able to settle the venue, date of the concert and the amount of ticket prices.

     When everyone was compiling their things and were settling whatever was unsettled, she did not realize her manager slipped through the crowd and went in front of the hall. All eyes were locked on him the moment he dared to catch everyone’s attention by fake coughing, clearing his throat before speaking.

     “I know most of you are itching to go home after that very toxic three-hour-long meeting. But before that, let me introduce to you…” and as he mentioned, it seemed like Minhee was uninterested in what her manager has to say since her mind was floating, enough to again be lost to what was happening inside that very room. But when she heard her manager’s voice uttering the name of the person they were about to work with, her eyes immediately found its way to where Mr. Lee and the artist were located at.

She could never believe what was happening. With his chin up and back straight, he stood there ever so confidently and removed the large tinted glasses that covered his sharp eyes. He looked at everyone, fixing the cuffs of his clothes before putting his hands to his back. Responding with small nods to Howon’s remarks about the show and the staff. All she could remember was the man who scanned her with piercing eyes to her a while ago, was a man she’s seen a lot on every entertainment outlet they had in the country. It was the same man they were supposed to work with.

 

It was none other than Kim Sunggyu.