Four

Read Between the Lines

Minhee, and most especially, Hye Jin was in much awe of what they’re seeing right now. Hye Jin held tight on Minhee’s hand, knowing she could have passed out any minute now if Minhee wasn’t there for her to hold on.

     “I’m sure you know Kim Sunggyu-ssi already. We’re really happy to work with you,” Sunggyu’s manager bowed politely, in contrast to how the artist greeted.

     Sunggyu stood there, as proud as he was like the first time she saw him. Minhee could already feel the panic from Hye Jin, but at the same time, that overflowing, annoying proud presence before them. With his other hand in his pocket, he took off his glasses and hung it over the collar of his plain white V-neck which was matched with a black and gray striped cardigan. He didn’t even bow, not even an a few seconds to look down and show at least a bit of politeness.

     "It's nice to finally, personally meet you Miss Lee Minhee. You are the rookie assistant manager right?” Sunggyu looked at her with those same narrow yet sharp eyes that she saw from her first work day.

     “The pleasure is mine Kim Sunggyu-ssi. That is right. Definitely a newbie.” Minhee, even though annoyed already by the man’s overflowing pride, kept professional and bowed politely to the man and his company.

     “But I was expecting to see Hoya here,” Sunggyu looked beside to his manager in confusion, seems like he wasn’t able to get the news, then looked back to the two ladies in front of him. Not that he was surprised that the man he was expecting wasn’t able to meet him today. But sending the rookie to take care of them? His brows met in between and looked merely impressed.

     “Lee Howon-ssi is currently on a business trip to meet the international sponsors for the show. Me and Kim Hye Jin-ssi here will be the ones to assist you today. And of course throughout the tour.” Minhee introduced her friend and kept her stance. Let’s not embarrass ourselves again, Lee Minhee.

     “Ah~ so I’ll be seeing you girls a lot. I do hope you are good in catching up,” Sunggyu smirks, making Hye Jin pass out from the inside, holding tighter on Minhee’s arm, while Minhee scoffs inwardly.

     “Uhm, so, how about we go in already and check the venue? I do understand everyone is really busy.” Minhee puts on a polite smile and guided the people inside the enormous concert hall. “I know you’re all quipped up with all these concert stuff, so uhm, I’ll just make a quick round about the additional technology the production team prepared to make this another one of a kind concert by Kim Sunggyu-ssi,” Minhee proudly smiles at the managers, finishing it with a smirk when she turned to Sunggyu who was like the first time they met, watching her under his sharp gaze. Minhee, with Hyejin following behind, patiently explains the technicalities to the manager and to Sunggyu who happens to be walking right beside her and looking around the venue.

 

 

Both girls grabbed some snack and munched on it as they head outside the venue. Sunggyu and his team were still inside the venue, checking every bit of everything to see whether the concert hall favored the artist's very meticulous taste.

     "This hall is too big." "I want to be more intimate and close to my fans, but at the same time have my own space on the stage" Minhee repeatedly mocking and imitating Sunggyu's voice.

     “Now I get why there are a lot of people hating on him.” Minhee, almost choked on her sandwich as she exclaimed her disbelief in the artist’s attitude.

     Hye Jin dropped her right hand that held the sandwich on her side and looked at Minhee and said, “It does not even matter to me, girl. He's a great artist, he could always be like that. He wants everything as perfect as he is.” She explained as she took another bite from her ham and cheese sandwich. "And I'm not saying this because I like him, I mean, well, look at how he talked to us a while ago. Didn’t you feel the tension in his gaze, like, at any moment, we are bound to lose our jobs?!”

     Minhee groaned her frustrations and flopped down a nearby bench. She angrily took another bite from her sandwich and drank a sip of the cider in her hands.

Her friend, Hye Jin sat beside the furious girl and patted Minhee's shoulder with her free hand then explained, “Come on. Let's just be thankful we are one of those from a million of people who was able to stand that close to Kim Sunggyu and plus, was able to talk to him! Imagine how many of his fanatics would go beyond extreme just to be in our position. In your position, to be exact. Consider yourself to be lucky, okay?”

     Still with annoyed face, Minhee answered, “It’s not just about how he treated us a while ago. The concert is in two months and we already have press released that his concert will be held at Seoul Olympics Gymnasium." Minhee stood up and dusted off the crumbs on her shirt, then walked to their vehicle to get ready for the next venue. "But being the he is, he rejected the venue and now, we are working double than we are supposed to do.”

     Shaking her head, Hye Jin responded, “Well... I kinda like it.” Hyejin shrugged and smiled shyly, finishing the sandwich in her hand. And right at that moment, the two heard a clearing of throat and turned to their backs.

"Let's say i didn't hear any of those," It was Sunggyu, walking to where the two girls were with his manager on the phone and following behind.

     Minhee rolled her eyes inwardly but was blushing from embarrassment that the artist heard her remarks. Sunggyu put on his shades and his hands to his pockets. But under that cover, he was staring at the obviously blushing and annoyed lady. It made him smirk inwardly because he was having fun annoying the 'newbie'.

     "How about we head on to the venue now so we can have our lunch early?" Hye Jin exclaims and breaks the icy and awkward silence between the two parties. Sunggyu showed Hye Jin a small smile and nodded at her suggestion. Hye Jin smiled back and again blushed at the artist's small action. He headed back to their car and the air conditioner to cool down from the walking they did in addition to the heat outside.

     Minhee got inside the car and started it but failed. She noticed it didn't sound as good as it was this morning, still, she repeatedly tried to start the vehicle. Hye Jin was talking to the manager about today's schedule and adjusting their clocks according to it. Sunggyu who was cooling down inside their car took a glance at the car next to them where Minhee was in, hearing the unusual sound from the engines.

     The moment he saw smoke from behind the car, he rushed out and opened the car door by Minhee's side, grabbing her by her wrist and dragged her out of it. He furiously took off his shades and looked straight at Minhee.

     "Are you stupid?!" His voice surprised Hye Jin and the manager making them run to their side. Hye Jin noticed the smoking car and checked on her friend. "What happened? Minhee-ya--" horror could be clearly seen in her colleague’s face.

     "The engines already sounded weird and unusual yet you kept on starting the car! Look, your car is already smoking. It could've exploded any minute!" Sunggyu emphasized and points at the smoking car by their side. Minhee was speechless from nervousness seeing the car in smoke and Sunggyu bursting out infront of her.

     She didn't know how to react from another clumsy deed she got in. She bit on her lower lip and looked apologetically at the man in front of him then bowed. Sunggyu turned his back and talked to his manager about the other vehicle they were with coming to the venue, which he didn't know left already the moment they head inside the first venue. They had the said car towed and brought to a car repair shop. Hye Jin called one of their staff to take care of the car and head on to their next venue.

 

Their way to the next venue was awkwardly cramped. Literally. Sunggyu sat uncomfortably by the window, Hye Jin on the other end and Minhee in between the two at the backseat. He can't sit as comfortably as he wanted, making him squirm on his side.

     "I shouldn't have suggested this idea," Sunggyu mumbled under his breath in annoyance as he leaned back on the seat and closed his eyes.

     Minhee was trying her best to lean by Hye Jin's side, to make space for the artist, but the lady was getting really cramped to the door, she would try to push Minhee back, hitting Sunggyu in the process. Sunggyu would glare at their direction and groan as try to get a short nap during the trip.

     They were already on their third and last errand for the day. The second venue happened to be disgusting, according to what they had heard from Sunggyu’s mouth the moment they stepped inside the hall. It was not as grand as the first and the surrounding nature wasn't really good to the eyes, getting it crossed out from their venue list.

     While the artist is busy looking around the hall, Minhee was at the side sending a message to Hoya about the venue revision. As soon as she finished sending the message, the artist's manager called her and said this last venue really fitted Sunggyu's taste.

Minhee gave a relieved sigh and smiled at Hye Jin who was at her side and quietly clapping for her after hearing the news. She bowed at the manager and told him about heading out and back to their company to finalize the venue changes. Before doing so, Minhee took note of how the venue is set and made a reminder about looking for same venues to replace the crossed out ones.

     Heaving a deep sigh, Minhee prays for her health to be stable until the end of this domestic tour. Her mind is now full of pressure and stress even just getting into this industry for a little less than anyone in the team who are pro when it comes to this kind of workload to do.