The Fifth Guardian

Defying the Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once again, Jongdae saw his life flashing before his eyes. It was less terrifying than the last time it had happened, as the thought of being engulfed by flames was utterly terrifying (he still got horrified whenever Ace spat out fire), but still, he was mildly horrified for his upcoming death. Being ripped apart and eaten alive was surely not the way he wanted to go, but it beat burning to death (of course, that's just what he told himself). The sirens’ claws reached out for him, dagger-like teeth smiling at him and just as a hand swiped through the air, ghosting over his skin, he froze.

His bloodcurdling scream that resembled an off-key recorder, trailed off to a lame yell, as he looked around in confusion.

“Jongdae! You alright?” Jongin shouted from beside him.

He was still out of breath from screaming, and gulped at the angry creatures in front of him. They continued to try and attack him, but his eyes were locked on the only one who was still in the water, staring back at him. “Ye-yeah, I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be fine? It’s not like I didn’t just almost get my entire body ripped apart by a group of fish,” he rambled, yelping when one suddenly leaped into the air. Thankfully, from the sidelines, Luhan and Jiyoung both used their power to move him out of the way. He covered his mouth, gagging, as the water in his stomach sloshed around from the sudden jerking. “Oh my God, that could have ended horribly! And now I feel sick. Oh no, I think I’m going to throw up.”

“Hold tight, Jongdae,” Jiyoung told him, letting out a pained grunt afterwards. “We’re surrounded, and I don’t think it’ll be smart to put you in the boat. I’m thinking of a plan, don’t worry.”

He spluttered, anxiety causing him to tremble. “I think not! I’d rather be in that boat with you guys instead of dangling in front of a group of carnivorous fish like a worm on a hook – and no, I did not realize the connection between those two statements until after I said it, thank you very much.”

Despite the direness of the situation, Luhan laughed. “Jongdae, anyone ever tell ya that you’re one crazy mother er?”

“No," he replied, narrowing his eyes in annoyance. If the situation were any different and he wasn’t close to being eaten alive, then he would have rolled his eyes. “I’ve never been told that, and I don’t think this is the time to talk about this-“ A claw sliced across the fabric of his jeans, eliciting another yelp. “-Oh my god, what the hell is taking you all so long! I’mma be dead by the time y’all get anything done!”

Luhan laughed again. “Glad ya finally speakin’ my language.”

“Oh lord, he’s speaking in the Western dialect,” Jiyoung said, groaning in pain. “Just wait a little longer, Jongdae. Let me think of a plan real – Kris!”

Jongdae’s head whipped to the side just in time to see the tall man fly into the water. Leaning over, Jongin stared in horror at the waves. Before anyone could stop him, black smoke replaced his form. Bubbles rose to the surface of the water.

“NO!” Jongdae shouted, thrashing around. “Jongin!”

“,” Luhan and Jiyoung yelled simultaneously.

A sudden sting grabbed Jongdae’s attention, and he glanced down to see a siren its bloody claw. “Oh Christ”

All at once, the four sirens, excluding the guardian, leaped out of the water, hands pulled back and ready to attack. Jongdae knew he wouldn’t be able to escape this time with Jiyoung and Luhan occupied. This was his fate. He was going to die. So with a defeated inhale, he shut his eyes, awaiting the pain that would come.

“Oh, quit being such a drama queen."

An eye opened, followed by the other, and Jongdae saw that the bodies were frozen midair. He fidgeted around, and to his surprise, easily escaped the hold around him. He fell onto the waters, his feet steady upon the waves instead of going through like he expected them to.

“Jesus Christ,” he muttered in shock, seeing the boat that held Luhan. The man looked troubled, his hands in the air towards Jongdae, while his eyes were aimed at the waters.

“It seems you were educated. I didn’t suspect a peasant like yourself to be acquainted with the story of Jesus, as it did happen to be a thing that occurred before your time, and is more of a rich people custom these days.” Jongdae turned around to see his mirror image, decked in a black suit and a red button down underneath. The thing’s hair was cut considerably shorter than Jongdae’s, and brushed out of its face to show off its blemish-free face, trimmed brows and those quirked lips raised into a mischievous grin. Its hands raised into the air. “Well, I guess Yesung did one thing right. A shame he had to depart so soon.”

Jongdae glared at the thing. “You shut your trap,” he snapped. “I am not in the mood to hear what nonsense you have to say.” He turned around, looking for a way out, and then looked back at the aura. “And I have you know that Yesung is not dead. He’s just missing. There’s a difference.”

“Oh, yeah.” It raised its fingers in the air. “He’s ‘missing’. Keep telling yourself that and you’ll start to believe it.”

Jongdae whipped around, grabbing the thing by the lapels of its blazer. It grinned at him as he leaned closer. “You know what - shut the hell up. You don’t know anything about me, alright? So quit acting like you do.”

They stared at each, until it broke down laughing, its shoulders jolting. “You-you do realize that I am you, right?” It shook its head, continuing to mock Jongdae, who let go of the creature and walked away in annoyance, looking for an exit. “You’re acting like we’re two completely different individuals. That is just hilarious! You wish that was the case. How many times do we have to go over this, buddy boy?” Jongdae gritted his teeth. “Oh, so you want to strike me with your lightning kick?” It kicked its pointed foot out. “Punch me with your massive strength? I can hear everything that goes on in that twisted head of yours. The scene of your mother’s burnt corpse replays over and over, along with the oh-so-horrible incident regarding your father. Those moments of self-inflicted torture, and the pain and sorrow you faced –“

Jongdae whipped around, jabbing his finger at it. “I swear to God; I’m gonna kill you.”

It let out a long, devious chuckle. “But Jongdae, if you do that, then you’ll have to kill yourself. How long will you live in ignorance before you realize that I am just a being that you conjured up. I’m the pain, the anger, the hatred and every other negative emotion mixed into one. It’s absolutely ridiculous to think you can just get rid of me.” Scoffing, it added, “That is, unless you let me take over. You won’t have to suffer anymore because of me, yeah? You know that, of course, I’ve thought what you’ve thought. I’ve felt what you’ve felt.” It pointed at its face. “I’ve done what you’ve done. But there’s one thing that makes us different.”

A few moments of silence ensued, before it leant forward, whispering in his ear, “I know what you don’t.”

Jongdae’s hands clenched. “Bull. .”

It laughed when Jongdae tightened his grip on the lapels. “You can choose to believe or not, but I assure that it’s the truth. There are somethings that you’ve blocked out, but I have never forgotten.” Smiling, it added, “When you use your magic, why does it feel so wrong, even though initially, it feels so right? Like, something is just screaming at you in the back of your head, telling you that it’s not morally correct? Why does everything feel like a distant dream even though it’s playing right in front of you? Why does it all seem like make believe? Why did Yesung disappear? I have all of the answers to your questions. I believe that makes me somewhat superior, don’t you think?”

“You’re just saying this to get in my head,” Jongdae hissed, looking behind him at the other guardian in the water. “I’ve never thought about any of those things before. You’re insane.”

“Oh, feigning ignorance will do you no good, little Jongdae.” It chuckled. “You know, I can feel your anger right now, in fact, it’s making me stronger. So please, by all means, continue. It only benefits me in the end.” Jongdae’s fists shook as fury began to take over. “Now that I look through our memories, I think I’ve picked my favorite of them all. It’s quite difficult to pick, since there happens to be an enormous collection of fantastic memories to choose from, but my honest to God favorite, has to be when you sliced that bounty hunter’s head off.” Warm air blew against his neck as it came up behind him. “You driving the blade into his back, then stabbing his neck repeatedly until blood was spurting out like a volcano. I could feel the emptiness inside of you, but also, the excitement.”

Jongdae couldn’t help himself; he whipped around, punching his clone straight in the nose. It stumbled back, grinning as blood gushed out of its nose. “And you liked it. I could feel it! Then you tried to play it off like it was no big deal afterwards, adding to the list of lies you created over the past, what, month? What a liar you are, Jongdae! That’s another thing that separates us, you see, I may be considered evil but I have never lied to you or anyone! Not now and not ever. You want to know why? Because I have nothing to hide! And one of these days those fibs of yours are going to come crawling back, and are going to bite you in the , and I’ll sit and watch and wait for my time to shine with a smile on my face.” It pointed at its grin.

Another punch to its jaw. Flying back, it grunted, giving him a pair of raised brows and that same old smile. “I bet you’re going to do the same thing to poor old Raijin. At least he embraces the fact that he kills. You trying to hide from it is just plain pathetic.” Its foot slammed into Jongdae's torso, causing him to gasp and clutch it as his stomach began to ache. He lifted his hoodie, watching as the scar began seeping with aura. Just as his gaze flickered up, a fist came flying for him, knocking him in the side of his mouth. He was knocked off of his feet, the air leaving his body as he flipped and toppled to the floor. Gasping, he squeezed his eyes from the pain.

Footsteps sounded through the room, and a boot slammed into Jongdae’s side. He groaned and rolled onto his back.

When Jongdae opened his eyes, the first thing he saw was its wide grin. “You know, the first thing I want to do when I take over your body is eat a damn sandwich.” A laugh echoed through the area. “Can you believe in all of our eighteen years of living we have never had one? A delicacy that the rich see as peasant food and the poor see as heaven on earth. We have never had the chance to eat one of these simple meals. Oh, and yes, we did turn eighteen. A week ago actually. It’s been so long since you’ve seen a calendar you had no idea. Plus, mommy wasn’t here to remind you. You always were one to forget dates.” Jongdae bared his teeth, about to swing his leg up when another foot beat him. This time on his chest. Pain came first, then was followed by a jolt of electricity that rattled his body. He panted.

“Well, I’m heading straight for the first store I see, getting some bread, some cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes, you know the whole package, and then right when I’ve got everything, I’m making myself a very much needed sandwich. Do you know why I’m telling you this, Jongdae?”

Jongdae glared, but didn’t answer. His clone scoffed at him, stomping on his gut again. “I didn’t know we were playing the silent game,” it commented lightheartedly, narrowing its eyes at his gasping form.  “Now I’m going to ask again. Do you know why I’m telling you this, Jongie?”

Gritting his teeth, he replied, “’Cause you’re a crazy son of a that’s why.”

They stared at each other; Jongdae glaring and it beaming back at him. But a kick to the side broke their eye contact, causing him yell out while clutching his side. “Great guess, but not quite. You see,” it continued, press

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter