Jiyoung the Talking Rock

Defying the Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                              

 

A few days passed since the incident with Madame Yoojin –or the witch, as Jongdae likes to call her – and his mother’s condition was growing worse as the seconds passed. It started with a common fever; however, because of the lack of medication, food and water her illness took a turn for the worst.

The situation with Sir Leeteuk and Madame Soojin also ended quite drastically. Both were sent to prison after their trial in court, which according to rumors was only about five to ten minutes long. They were immediately proven guilty by votes from the jury and the judge.

Jongdae sat at the dining table, burying his head in his hands as he tried to get rid of his pounding migraine. The stress of having to take care of his mother, trying to fight off his starvation and working to get more slips when most of the wealthy couples didn’t even reward him because of his status was starting to take a toll on him.

Something tickled his arm, and he looked down to see ants creeping up his forearms. He narrowed his eyes, slapping and smashing the ones that were crawling on the table. It was then he saw the wooden table had tiny holes in the surface from what could presumably be termites. He knocked it a few times with his fist, resulting in a hollow thump. Definitely termites.  

He huffed, standing up before heading to the kitchen to make some breakfast for his mother. He opened the cabinets, gazing deadpanned as cobwebs and dust welcomed him instead of the sight of food. Hoping that luck would be on his side for once, he opened the cooler only to find water from the melted ice and a bowl of porridge.

I have to go get more ice later. Jongdae sighed before grabbing the bowl. He got a spoon and left to the bedroom, his frown growing deeper as he met his mother’s gaze. She gave him a strained smile, coughing harshly as she tried to sit up. Jongdae quickly ran to her side, patting her back and laying her back down.

“Jongdae, I-I’m fine,” she told him before letting out another cough.

“No. You’re not fine, mom.” He got the rag that was on her forehead, dipping it in the bowl on the nightstand and putting it back on her. “I’m going to go see if I can get some medicinal herbs, and I'm gonna try to get some ice for the cooler. I’ll be right back, okay? Please stay here and eat your porridge.”

His mother begrudgingly nodded, taking the bowl and sipping the cold meal. Jongdae looked away as he saw her trembling hands, struggling to hold the utensil and got off the bed. She grinned as he looked back again and told him, “I’ll be okay, my Jongie. Just hurry up. You know we aren’t supposed to be out after the horn.”

He nodded, grabbing a basket that sat by the door and a black cloak. He put it on, going to his mother and giving her a peck on the cheek before heading out. As he closed the front door, his mother yelled, “I love you!” and the corners of his lips curled upwards. He let out a chuckle as he pulled the hood of the cloak over his head, making sure to look around for any foe that could be lurking.

I sure as hell am not getting attacked by any dang bear again. The leaves crunched under his bare feet, and his loose tank top and torn shorts gave him no sense of warmth or comfort. Thankfully the cloak provided him with a bit of heat, as spring was just setting and it was still a bit chilly out. This is yet another reason to thank Sir Yesung. Had I not been given this piece of clothing I would have been completely covered in goose nips.

Jongdae could’ve sworn he heard Sir Yesung whispering the words “It’s goose bumps, Jongdae” and he let out a soft chortle to that. Though the elder man had taught him how to read, write and gave him lessons on other subjects like math and science, and even teaching him about medicine and what herbs and plants were good to eat, he could never get rid of the vocabulary Jongdae had grown up with. Sir Yesung was familiar to the words, but because he became someone of higher class at a younger age he grew used to the proper language.

Jongdae looked at the mushrooms on the ground, observing the pattern and color before walking away. He exhaled as his stomach growled, making him wrap his arms around his torso. Damn. How I wish those bottle caps weren’t poisonous.

He meant to say mushrooms, but there really wasn’t any time for a discussion at the moment.

The sun was starting to fall and Jongdae almost turned around to go back to the house before he saw the herbs. He let out a chuckle, sprinting over and grabbing each plant before putting them in the basket. Finally, now I can go back to mom!

Turning around he was about to rush back to the house when he heard a faint voice. He stopped in his tracks, gulping down his saliva as his grip on the basket tightened. There was no one around. Was he going crazy?

“Hey!”

And there it was again. Jongdae mustered up his courage before shouting, “Who’s there? If you’re a Hunter then you better watch out. I’m armed!”

A giggle as soft as a bell entered Jongdae’s ears, and a sudden gust of wind made him shiver. “I’m no Hunter. And even if I was, lying to me about having a weapon would make the situation much worse.”

“Then who are you?” he quizzed, gripping the basket handle even tighter.

“I’m Jiyoung, and I have to say, Jongdae-“

“How do you know my name?” he yelled, shaking from her words. First the witch knew his name and now this random stranger? What was going on?

“If you let me finish I would explain, you jackass.” The female cleared , and Jongdae spun around to the direction where he heard it come from. A snort soon followed. “You sure aren’t one of the brightest guys, I swear.”

“I won’t repeat myself again. What do you want!”

“Alright! Jeez, calm your granny . You’re worse than a gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter