Out of Control

Defying the Storm
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Once they got to the building Kris was performing at, he pulled them inside, shutting the door behind them.

“You’ve got wanted posters,” he said, “you’re criminals.”

Luhan snorted. “That’s what happens when ya try to take down the council. Get on with the program, we told ya this in the beginnin’.”

Kris pointed at Jongdae. “You’re the boy everyone has been talking about – the one that destroyed sector two! You’re a murderer!”

Jongin stepped in front of Jongdae. “Leave him alone, he was framed!”

“You shouldn’t speak about things you don’t know!” Jiyoung shouted. “None of these guys did anything wrong. We are working to save the world. No one here is a criminal!”

“I don’t care,” Kris replied. “I didn’t sign up for this. I don’t want to be affiliated with criminals! What about my reputation? I have a business!”

“What business?” Jongdae snapped, fed up with the man’s words. He scoffed. “Parading around pretending to have a power you don’t possess? That’s not a business, that’s just a joke. You want to know how you really get the slips rolling in? Show off your real power. Practice it, and when you’re able to fly up to the ing clouds you’ll be getting enough slips to buy you an entire planet!” He pushed Jongin to the side, glaring at the man. “And don’t you dare accuse us of being criminals, because from what I’ve seen of you so far is that you are a con artist - a fraud. Tricking people for money – just what would happen if I managed to tell the authorities about you? You’d be locked up. So unless you want to spend the rest of your tiny, worthless life behind bars, I suggest you shut up and join us, you understand?”

His stomach began to burn – it felt like someone put a flame on it and was letting it sit there, melting off his skin. The pain was increasing by the seconds.

Kris stood there, gaping like a fish. “O-okay.”

Ace flew towards Jongdae, growling at him, but Jongdae hissed, “Get your nasty mutt out of my face before I show you what a criminal is really like.”

Kris grabbed Ace, holding him to his chest as his eyes shook.

Jongin reached a hand out. “Jongda-?”

“Let’s go,” he muttered, walking past the grinning Luhan.

“The more I'm around him, the more he interests me,” Luhan stated.

There was just so much anger swirling in Jongdae’s veins; he didn’t know what was happening. He was just in so much pain, and when he tried to focus on it, it made him worse.

The fun is just beginning. He heard the voice whisper in his head.

Jongdae couldn’t help the slight twitch in his fingers, curling around his tank top. He needed to get in control, but he couldn’t. The anger wouldn’t go away, no matter how hard he tried. His breath was quickening. His aura was going out of whack – it was beginning to control him.

It wasn’t long before they made it out of the sector, and Jongdae was still leading the group. He stormed off, not paying attention to the fact that it wasn’t desert that surrounded them, instead grass and trees and beautifully paved roads.

“Jongdae, what is wrong with you?” Jiyoung quizzed once they were away from any guards or citizens. “You have never lashed out like that before. Is it what he said? You know it’s not true, you shouldn’t let it affect you.”

I know, Jiyoung. I know.

“Mind your own business, witch” he muttered.

I don’t mean it. Please don’t fall for it, it isn’t me, he begged, screaming in the darkness.

“What the hell is your problem?” she shouted. “Don’t take your problems out on me, peasant, just because you can’t handle a few insults thrown your way doesn’t mean you can just act like this!”

“Jongdae, please,” Jongin whispered, reaching for the boy’s hand, but he ripped it out of his hold. Jongdae felt the world slowly fall apart as Jongin’s eyes welled up with tears.

Jongin, I’m sorry. He watched, crying and banging his hands on the floor. He couldn’t get out of the black abyss, he just couldn’t. Please forgive me.

This was worse than blacking out like he had before, God, this was worse than getting knocked out by Luhan. This was torture. He wanted to run, to break free but he just couldn’t.

“Don’t touch me,” he told the younger boy.

Jiyoung scoffed. “Wow. I thought we were your friends, Jongdae. We’d worked so hard to get to where we are and you’re going to let a few words completely ruin that?”

It felt hopeless. He felt useless again. His fist weakly banged against the floor, a glow emitting where he hit. He tried again, hitting it harder than before, until a crack appeared. Peering down, he felt hope well up in his chest. Through the cracked surface he saw Jongin and the others standing there. That was his way out.

There was a strange sensation that coursed through his veins, the pain in his stomach slowly getting soothed as it took over, and he raised his hands, staring at his fingertips. There was electricity zapping at the ends of them, and he gulped, shakily putting them down on the floor and shutting his eyes. If I can break through this barrier, I’ll be able to get back before it’s too late.

“Friends?” he let out a cackle. “You must be joking. That’s absolutely ridiculous.”

Control, Jongdae. Don’t submit. His lip quivered. The shocking feeling ran through his entire body, giving him an addictive high at the sensation that was building up his hands. Jongdae wanted to give in, so badly as he allowed it to charge up. It was so rejuvenating. So light. It felt like he could handle anything being thrown his way, but he knew if he did so the aura would win. The power would be too great with his current emotions, and instead of solving his problems he would end up killing his friends.

“Alright kid, ya know I was fine with the attitude, but ya goin’ a little too far now,” Luhan commented, no smirk on his lips as he put a hand on Jongdae’s shoulder.

“Get away!” A zap of electricity zoomed through the air, shocking Luhan’s side.

The man let out a laugh as he fell on his knee, clutching his singed shirt. “Oh . Lil Jongdae wants to finally grow up.” He cracked his knuckles, throwing his wig onto the floor and getting into a fighting position. “Bring it, kid.”

Jongdae screamed as his veins bulged out on his arms, the electricity flashed through the darkness, and up to the dark skies. It was blinding, and he felt himself getting dizzy as his breathing grew erratic.

He grinned, eyes wide with excitement and he ripped the wig off of his head, throwing it to the side. “Oh bring it on, hot stuff.”

Then they charged at each other.

He tried to rip his hands away from the floor but they were stuck there. He was losing and he needed to get a grip now! Just a little more Jongdae. Don’t give in, don’t submit, don’t let the pain fool you.

Accept it Jongdae. His voice rang through the air. He shook his head. Accept it, accept it, accept it.

Get out of my head! he screamed, feeling the tears fall off his face as the sensation he felt earlier turned into an intense pain he had never experienced before.

Luhan took the first swing, aiming straight at Jongdae’s face, but the latter blocked it with his hands in an x shape, before quickly reaching out and grabbing his wrist, swinging him over his shoulder. But Luhan wouldn’t lose so easy. He landed on the floor, twisting his body, grabbing Jongdae's wrist and pulling him forward to land a solid punch in his jaw.

Jongdae’s head flew up, and he coughed. He began seeing stars in the darkness, everything going slow as all he could see was the electricity coursing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter