8: Final (1)

Scalpel

The surgical drain fell on the ground, and a bit of blood leaked out of the tube. Jaebum's lips formed into a thin line, expression turning blank. It was emotionless, as if there was no soul in him. Not a single bit of remorse grew in him.

Not a single bit.

"Im Jaebum!" Jinyoung screamed, panicking even more. Anything that drops in the surgery room cannot be used again during the surgery due to the germ contact. Which meant that Mark's blood would continue flowing.

"Jaebum oppa, what are you doing?!" Yeri screamed before she hurriedly went to look for bags of blood which they could use.

"Jinyoung ah, his blood pressure is falling!" Hakyeon alerted them as he watched Mark's blood pressure fall extremely quickly.

That was a fatal mistake made by Jinyoung.

But an intended murder by Jaebum.

"." Jinyoung cursed under his breath, dipping his finger right into the pool of blood to search for the wound so he could at least press on it for it to stop, but it was too hard for him to feel with those gloves on.

"God damn it!" Jinyoung cursed again when he failed to find the wound. He turned to look at Mark's blood pressure, panic immediately took over him.

It was falling so quickly.

"Jinyoung ah, there's no more time! His blood pressure, it's-" Hakyeon immediately stopped talking when the machine started beeping continuously, digits dropping beyond dangerous.

Jinyoung only stood still as tears started to fall, wetting his surgical goggles.

He had to save Mark.

Jaebum only kept quiet, his tears fell out of hatred. The hatred for Mark that he held in for so long, the huge hatred he never knew was so dangerous.

The team looked at Jinyoung in mixed reactions, all showing reactions of panic and sadness. They all knew how much Mark meant to Jinyoung, and they knew how badly Jinyoung needed Mark in his life. Mark was practically the only person who could keep Jinyoung going.

—————

Jinyoung walked out of the operation room heavily, emotionlessly, forcefully pulling out his gloves.

Mark's team rushed to Jinyoung, attempting to ask about Mark's condition, but they stopped when they noticed the look on Jinyoung's face.

It was so blank.

"J-Jinyoung hyung..." Yugyeom called of softly, tears building up in his eyes as he started thinking about the possibilities of Mark being dead.

"He's... gone." Jinyoung answered in almost a whisper, looking down and allowing his tears to fall straight to the ground.

"He's... gone?" Jackson and Bam Bam exchanged looks with each other, only speaking through sad expressions.

"It was all Jaebum's fault. Jaebum. Im Jaebum..." Jinyoung clenched his fists, growing weaker by the minute as sadness took over him.

"Jaebum? His fault?" Jackson asked, immediately alerted. He wanted to know how. He wanted to know what that despicable man did this time.

Youngjae soon came out of the operation room, looking down as the rest of the team pushed Mark's dead body out, with a white sheet covering his body.

"Youngjae ah, what did Jaebum do?" Jackson immediately asked.

"He dropped the draining tube after Jinyoung hyung accidentally cut Mark's aorta... it caused Jinyoung hyung to lose sight of the cut due to the blood. He couldn't sew up the cut on time because of Im Jaebum." Youngjae turned to glare at Jaebum before he walked straight to the staff's office, not allowing anyone to ask him anything else.

"Now that I've lost Mark, are you happy?" Jinyoung asked, turning to face Jaebum in hatred.

"Now that Mark is gone, now that you've killed him... Are you contented?" Jinyoung sighed, mixed emotions hitting him hard. He was sad, devastated over Mark's departure, but yet he was so upset, he hated Jaebum so much. 
Jaebum only kept quiet as he let no grief or regret take over him. All he felt was hate. All that he ever wanted was to have Jinyoung, for Jinyoung to love him. But he soon found himself going out of his main motive. He started losing his own way, and resorted to doing despicable things out of his hatred for Mark, and his greed for Jinyoung. He never knew that he would become so evil, so crooked, and so heartless because of love.

He thought love was joyful thing.

Not something that makes him kill.

Jinyoung walked towards Mark's covered body, kneeling down as he lifted the white sheet up to feel Mark's face one last time.

His fingers traced every feature, from his eyes to his nose, to the pair of lips that he missed kissing.

He let loud and heavy sobs escape his lips when he carressed Mark's face.

When was the last time he saw him smile?


"Mark, I'm sorry... It's my fault that I didn't listen, that I accused you. I'm so sorry, Mark..." Jinyoung lifted the white sheet that covered Mark's hand, holding it before he rested his forehead against Mark's cold body covered by the sheets, sobbing hard.

"Mark, please, come back. I'll listen to you, I'll treat you better... Please..." Jinyoung sobbed as he tightened his grip on Mark's cold, unmoving hands.

"Mark, please... Please!" Jinyoung screamed, his sobs becoming louder as he struggled to keep his composure.

He needed Mark in his life.

Without Mark, he was nobody.

"Hyung, don't be like this... I'm sure Mark hyung wouldn't want to see you in this state..." Bam Bam placed a comforting hand on Jinyoung's shoulder.

"He might be happier to see me so miserable. I turned a deaf ear to his warnings for so long, for so damn long. I remember him telling me... That I'll only know what it feels like to be truly apologetic when Jaebum's plans work out, and now I really do... I'm sorry Mark, so can you please, come back to me?"

Hakyeon and Yeri signalled to Bam Bam and Yugyeom that they have to bring Mark to the conservation room. Bam Bam and Yugyeom nodded before he pulled Jinyoung up by the arm, causing him to struggle.

"No, what are you doing?! Let me talk to Mark!" Jinyoung struggled, kicking as he tried to escape their grip.

"Stop it, hyung! Mark has to go! Stop being like this unless you want Mark to hurt even as a soul!" Yugyeom's grip on Jinyoung's arm tightened, pulling him back more as Hakyeon and Yeri pushed Mark into a direction that Jinyoung couldn't see with his tear filled eyes.

"Mark would be happier to see me like this, Mark-" Jinyoung was cut off by a forceful punch on his cheek.

"What right do you have to assume that Mark hyung would feel like that, huh?! You think you're the only one here who is devastated? Think about us, think about me, Yugyeom, Bam Bam! What gives you the right to think that he would be happy to see you like that? Do you think he doesn't love you? He loves you so much, so damn much. So much that he tried to protect the both of you from Jaebum, but what did you do? Ignore him, accuse him, and now assume that he would be happy to see you miserable?! Are you not ridiculous enough? Do you need someone else here to die before you'll wake up?" Jackson breathed heavily as he felt his tears fall. He was beyond upset. He was devasted, but more than anything, Jinyoung disappointed him too much.

Jinyoung only kept quiet, calming down as he let the words sink in.

Are you not ridiculous enough?

And now assume that he would be happy to see you miserable?

Jinyoung looked down, leaning weakly against Yugyeom and Bam Bam's grip.

"Come on, hyung. You need to prepare Mark's funeral. Let's go." Yugyeom softly said before they supported him to his office.

—————

Jinyoung stood beside the big flowered picture frame, a mild, sad smile plastered on his face as he bowed and greeted everyone who came by, including the patients which Mark once saved.

He did this continuously for 2 days without fail.

Jinyoung's plastered smile soon faded when he saw Jaebum walking towards the funeral venue.

What the hell is he up to this time?

Yugyeom, Bam Bam, Jackson and Youngjae immediately got up from their seats, raising their guards up as they inched closer to Jinyoung, acting up on defense.

Jaebum only sighed before he bowed, a long 90 degree bow in front of Mark's photograph.

Mark was smiling brightly.

His eyes were smiling, shaped like a cresent moon.

He looked so free.

Looked.

"What are you doing here?" Jackson asked as soon as Jaebum got up from bowing.

Jaebum only looked down in guilt, smiling sadly before he answered softly.

"I just came to give respect and-"

"Don't come back again. You don't pay respect to someone you intentionally killed." Jinyoung interrupted. His voice, his body language, the way he brought his message across— it felt so cold.

The boys were shocked. It was the first thing that came out of Jinyoung's mouth ever since the funeral started. Jinyoung kept quiet and only bowed to those who visited, but he finally spoke when Jaebum appeared.

Jaebum only formed his lips into a thin line, bowing again but this time to Jinyoung instead, and left the venue.

Jinyoung clenched his fists the moment Jaebum turned, holding in his tears that were filling his eyes to the brim. The boys slowly walked away from Jinyoung's side after sensing that Jinyoung was about to break down. They knew better, that when Jinyoung wants to break down, no one should go near him because he would resist all help.

The amount of regret he held in himself was overwhelming. Everytime Jaebum appears, he would be reminded of how Mark warned him for months, he would be reminded of how he accused Mark for something Mark would never have done.

The number of times he questioned himself became uncountable. He kept asking himself 'Why couldn't I see the kind of person Jaebum was, but yet saw my husband as something he never was?'.

Whenever he thinks back trying to remember the happy times with Mark— the happy thoughts never stay for long because a certain memory of the huge argument would come to mind.

Mark's voice would run across his mind. Images of the broken look on Mark's face kept flashing up like a slideshow.

'All you do is listen to whatever Jaebum says, but not trust your own husband!'

'Why are you so blind?'

Jinyoung hung his head low, biting his bottom lip as his tears fell.

'Loving you was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life.'

An image of Mark's tear filled eyes flashed through Jinyoung's mind, followed by an image of Mark's broken smile when Mark left their shared house.

Jinyoung ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling his hair shortly after, unable to shake the thoughts and images away.

"Jinyoung ah, you should go and sit down. Your legs need to rest even if you don't want to." Hakyeon patted Jinyoung's shoulder, holding Jinyoung's arm while he led Jinyoung to a chair.

Hakyeon saw how Jinyoung started crying after Jaebum left, and he knew Jinyoung was reminded of unpleasant memories again. All of Jinyoung's friends sincerely wanted him to be fine. Hakyeon wasn't afraid of the possibilities of Jinyoung resisting, but instead, Hakyeon was hoping Jinyoung would resist.

Because that would mean that the Jinyoung they knew, was still in there.

But Jinyoung didn't resist at all.

Bam Bam walked over with a bottle of cold water, placing it in front of Jinyoung.

"Hyung, drink some water. You need water to stay healthy." Jinyoung only stared into blank space, not hearing what Bam Bam said.

Youngjae soon walked over with a cheeseburger, wrapped in Mac Donald's packing paper, hoping that Jinyoung would eat something.

He hasn't eaten much for the past 2 days.

"Hyung, I got you your favourite cheeseburger." Youngjae lightly placed a comforting hand on Jinyoung's shoulder, giving the daydreaming Jinyoung a small shock.

Jinyoung only twitched a small smile, almost unverifiable, and took the cheeseburger and water from Youngjae and Bam Bam before he placed it on the table beside him, deciding to eat later.

Hakyeon and Jackson suddenly stood up from their seats when a pair walked into the funeral venue. Hakyeon and Jackson immediately bowed 90 degrees, only to have the pair dismissing them in a calm and friendly manner.

Jinyoung slowly looked towards where everyone's attention was averted at. His eyes widened before tears formed in his eyes once again.

"M-Mum, Dad..." Jinyoung called out softly in english as he stood up slowly, before he took a few steps forward, tears falling.

The said pair was so relieved to see Jinyoung, and they ran towards him and gave him a tight group hug.

"My dearest son-in-law... Jinyoung... How have you been? Have you been doing well?" Mark's mother, whom Jinyoung addresses as Mama Tuan, let go, caressing Jinyoung's face as she wiped away the tears that trickled down his cheeks.

Jinyoung only shook his head, more tears falling uncontrollably.

He felt so sorry for the death of their son.

"Don't cry, Junior. Everything is alright." Mark's dad, which was also addressed by Jinyoung as Papa Tuan, patted his head. Junior was the nickname that Papa Tuan gave Jinyoung. Papa Tuan said it was easier to call him Junior.

"Mum, Dad, I'm sorry." Jinyoung spoke between airy breaths, crying non stop. He wasn't in the mood to call them Mama and Papa Tuan.

"It's okay, son. It's not your fault. His time is up, that's what it is." Mama Tuan gave Jinyoung a soothing rub on his back.

Even though Jinyoung had a hard time communicating with them with his limited english, he still could feel their sincere love and care.

"Cheer up, Junior boy. Our son won't be happy to see you like this. Even though you guys did fall out and did not manage to fix it before he left, but our son loves you too much to be sincerely mad at you for long. Trust me, be happy, and he'll go peacefully." Papa Tuan rubbed his shoulder in attempt to make him feel better.

Papa Tuan and Mama Tuan then pulled Jinyoung in for a tight group hug again, rubbing his back, calming him down like how parents calm their children down.

They let go and moved to sit down at a round table. That was when Yugyeom, Bam Bam and Youngjae greeted them, offering them drinks before they sat down with the family at the round table, followed by Jackson who soon joined them.

"So... We heard about how our son didn't make it during the surgery. Where is that assistant surgeon?" Papa Tuan rested his elbows on the table. Jackson being the only one who could understand english completely, translated to his group of friends.

"O-Oh..." Jinyoung's lips formed a thin line once Jackson finished translating. The group of friends sensed how tense Jinyoung became, and they only patted his shoulder, giving him a reassuring nod.

"He just left." Jackson quickly answered on behalf of Jinyoung when he noticed Jinyoung's expression.

Papa Tuan and Mama Tuan both sighed, shaking their heads shortly after. They were confused as to why someone would do something so despicable just because of jealousy.

Jinyoung sighed loudly before he excused himself and he went to the resting area, sitting down on the floor before he started crying.

He crouched forward, letting memories hit him like waves of the tsunami.

Jinyoung recalled how they found Coco, how his impression of Mark changed, and how he fell for Mark's child-like laugh.
(Flashback italic bold)

"Shouldn't we give him a name?" Mark looked at Jinyoung in the eye, eyes sparkling with excitement.

Jinyoung paused and thought, indeed really hard. He couldn't really think of a name and ended up giving Mark a food name.

"White choco."

Mark, who originally went back to admiring the soon-to-be-named dog, snapped his head towards Jinyoung's direction before laughing. 

Jinyoung let out loud sobs, recalling how they got together.

"Let me take care of you, let me be here for you when you need someone. I know you're lonely without your family support here in Korea, but let me be the support that will help you pull through all difficulties." Jinyoung looked at Mark sincerely, and he noticed the tears rolling down Mark's cheek despite a bright smile on Mark's face. 

Jinyoung ran his fingers through his hair, grabbing a bunch of hair when he recalled how Mark left.

"Let's take a break for now. I'll come back when I've sorted my emotions and thoughts out. I really need some space now, and I hope you understand." Mark cracked a broken and sad smile before he lifted his luggage, walking out to the foyer.

Coco ran towards Mark, barking and whimpering.

"Coco ah, I'll be back. Don't worry." Mark rubbed Coco's back, smiling sadly before the cab that he booked arrived.

"Mark, it's late..." 

Jinyoung regretted not stopping Mark. He regretted letting Mark 'sort his emotions out'. Mark reassured Coco that he'll be back, but it was all a lie.

A lie.

He would never come back ever again.

—————

Jinyoung woke up, feeling his cheek get wet. He immediately jumped, sitting up.

"Mark?" Jinyoung turned to face the empty white sheets beside him, disappointed when he realised it was Coco who his cheeks.

It has been a month since Mark's death, and Jinyoung was still not used to the empty bed, the empty house. 
He missed the way Mark used to kiss his cheeks to wake him up, before they playfully bicker about who has a busier day. 
He missed how Mark would always look for him at his office when they end work, popping his head through the door like a kid.

Jinyoung sighed before he stood up, caressing Coco as he picked her up. He walked towards the toilet and put Coco down, brushing his teeth.

He stopped his brushing hand when he noticed Mark's toothbrush. He sighed before he shook away his thoughts, continuing whatever he was doing.

Jinyoung resigned from being a surgeon, and he became a lecturer in the university he used to study in with Mark. The Medical University of Seoul.

Jaebum's surgeon license was terminated by the Ministry of Health and he was undergoing rehabitation from Junsu.

Many things changed after Mark left the world, but yet many things remained the same.

Jinyoung was no longer the sarcastic and fun guy. He became serious, wise, and slightly colder.

But Jinyoung still loved Mark the same. He would visit Mark's grave everyday after work, making sure to clean up the area, making sure to bring Mark galbi tang everyday. Sometimes, if he had time, he would go home to get Coco to visit Mark.

He vowed to himself, to Mark, that he would try his best to be happy and not to regret anything so that Mark could rest in peace in heaven. He promised Mark's parents that he would remember to make sure that he would not cry.

He was sure that Mark was doing fine up there, and so, he did fine as well. 
 

Rest well, Mark.
 

———A/N———

WHEE THIS IS ENDING 1. WHOOP WHOOP

im sorry he died (dont kill me) XD

this chapter isnt that sad and im disappointed with myself.... but Ive been too busy with school to cope well T.T

school has been crazy because im having my national exams this year *sobs*

Im sorry for this disappointing ending, but remember there will be ending number 2! So please wait well for that >< BCUZ I GOT SCHOOL T.T

Thank you guys for all your support so far, and I was so glad that I hit 90 subs! Thank you so much!

Remember to promote this story to your friends who love Markjin yes? ;)

And remember to follow me if you wanna make friends with me!

Insta: @jung.cl
Insta spam: @_its.cl_

Twitter: @starlight_CL

I LOVE Y'ALL

btw, i imagined all the images of jinyoung's crying and pained faces from all his acting XD secute

*spazzes cuz markjin*