Final (2)

Scalpel

(A/N: The starting of this ending will start from the last few parts of chapter 7, so dont be confused XD I apologise in advance if this is a disappointing alternate ending— bcuz I rlly rlly rlly at happy endings. Like really.)

"Stop, Jaebum ah. Stop..." Mark's voice was so weak and soft it was almost a whisper. He held his chest tighter— but Jaebum was too broken to care. All he wanted to do was to finish ranting.

Mark attempted to stand up, to rush out and get help, but his body grew weak and he collapsed onto the ground, his face was pale and blank and that caused Jaebum to stop. Jaebum was shocked at what happened and he stood rooted to the ground. He was horrified. He didn't know what was going on. His mind was clouded with thoughts. So clouded that he couldn't process what was happening to Mark.

"J-Jaebum." Mark called out, hoping for Jaebum to get help. Jaebum's eyes widened when he realised Mark was having a heart attack. He quickly ran out, searching for cardiologists in the speed of light. He wasn't expecting anything like that to happen.

Yugyeom finally got the medicine and he ran back up, only to see Mark lying on the ground.

"Hyung!" Yugyeom rushed to Mark, trying to pick him up, and that was when Jinyoung's team came in.

"Mark!" Jinyoung screamed when he saw Mark on the ground. He quickly scooped Mark up and demanded for his team to prepare the operation room.

"Mark, stay with me!" Jinyoung quickly put Mark down on the floor outside the operation room, taking off his lab coat and conducted CPR on him. He realised how it wasn't working and he snapped.

"How long has he been like this?!" Jinyoung's voice displayed panic and worry. He quickly picked Mark up again and handing him to Youngjae, needing to sanitize himself and change his attire. The team took some time to quickly set up everything and prepare Mark for the surgery.

Jinyoung then turned to Jaebum who was about to wash his hands.

"Jaebum, I don't want you to conduct this surgery with me."

Jaebum turned to Jinyoung in a confused and shocked expression.

"What? But I am your assistant sur-"

"Exactly why I don't want you to conduct this surgery. I don't trust my husband's life in your hands. I'll get Yugyeom from Mark's team." Jinyoung coldly answered before he got Yeri to get Yugyeom in.

Jaebum only clenched his jaws before he walked out of the operating room.

Yugyeom soon rushed into the operating room, his attire quickly done by the nurses.

"Hyung." Yugyeom called, smiling reassuringly against his mask. Jinyoung nodded, encouraging Yugyeom and hoping that they would both be able to save Mark.

"Let's do this." Jinyoung softly said, before he started to instruct the team.

"Youngjae, anesthesia."

"Hakyeon, make sure his blood pressure doesn't drop too quickly."

"Yeri, standby the bags of spare blood."

Jinyoung then looked at Yugyeom, putting out his hand.

"Scalpel." He carefully cut open the centre of Mark's chest.

"Bone cutter." Jinyoung put out his hand again. He cut Mark's bone to gain access to the heart.

"Retractor." Jinyoung then placed the retractor in between the cut bone, opening it to gain full access to the heart.

Jinyoung took in a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. His hands started shaking. It was a major reason why he always handed high risk surgeries to Mark. His hands would shake when he is nervous.

"S-Scalpel."

Jinyoung puffed his cheeks before he slowly cut the outer skin to operate on the valves. He slowly cut the skin, but his shaking hands accidentally caused the scalpel to penetrate into Mark's aorta.

"Hyung!" Yugyeom shouted when the blood squirted out of Mark's heart, splatting on the team members' gowns.

"Suction!"

Yugyeom then hurriedly took the draining tube, placing it around the aorta area, hoping that it would quickly all the blood up.

"Needle, thread."

Yugyeom used one hand to grab the two tools that Jinyoung requested for while ensuring that the suction stayed in place.

"Jinyoung ah, his blood pressure is falling. Be quick." Hakyeon rushed him while he stared at the screen worriedly.

Jinyoung quickly put the needle through the sides of the cut, pulling the needle with the forcep as the thread joined the two sides together, stopping the blood flow.

The team sighed in relief when the blood flow successfully stopped.

Jinyoung and Yugyeom exchanged encouraging smiles before they quickly went on with the operation.

—————

Jinyoung walked out of the operation room as he removed his gloves and scrub hat, only to have Mark's team rushing up to him.

"How is he?" Jackson asked anxiously, hoping for a positive answer.

Jinyoung twitched a small smile before answering

"It was successful."

Jackson, Bam Bam, Jimin and Yubin smiled brightly, sighing in relief.

"Thank god he is fine." Bam Bam placed a hand at his chest, as if soothing it.

"He is still unconscious though. You guys should know that. So we'll not disturb him until he is awake." Jinyoung smiled at them before the rest of Jinyoung's team pushed a bed out, lying an unconscious Mark.

Jinyoung's eyes followed Mark's figure that laid on the bed, smiling sadly.

"Why do you look so sad?" Yugyeom asked Jinyoung as he stopped pushing the bed, allowing the rest of the team do it.

"I just don't know if he has forgiven me yet..." Jinyoung looked at the ground and sighed, putting his hands into his pockets.

Yugyeom's expression softened when he heard what Jinyoung said. He nearly forgot that they fell out. It pained Yugyeom to see how both of them were suffering from each other's absence in silence. Sometimes he didn't even understand why they wanted to make themselves so miserable.

"I'm sure he'll forgive you, hyung." Yugyeom placed a comforting hand on Jinyoung's shoulder and gave it a light rub.

Jinyoung sighed again, smiling mildly at Yugyeom as a small sign of thank you. 
Mark's bed was soon pushed into an A-Class private ward, and the team exitted the ward after they were done with whatever they had to do. Jinyoung thanked the team before walking into the said room, settling himself down on the chair beside the bed.

He puffed his cheeks as he looked at Mark. The last time he saw Mark's sleeping face, there were dried tear trials on his cheeks. This time, half his face was covered by an oxygen mask.

He missed seeing the cheerful, bright and cute Mark.

Jinyoung sighed as he held Mark's hand, rubbing the back of Mark's palm with his thumb.

He lost track of how much time he spent looking at Mark, but without even realising, he fell asleep with his head on his arms.

Jinyoung woke up when he felt a weak on his hair. He took a while to comprehend, and he looked over to Mark whose eyes were now weakly open. Mark's hand was on Jinyoung's head, reaching out despite tubes and wires that annoyed his reach.

Jinyoung's eyes immediately widened, immediately sitting up straight to look at Mark.

Mark tried to crack a small smile through the oxygen mask, his eyes forming tears of mixed emotions.

Jinyoung's eyes watered as he took Mark's hand, placing it on his own cheek as he held Mark's hand tightly. Tears rolled down the pair's cheeks as they exchanged a longing eye contact that spoke a thousand words.

They missed each other so much.

"J-Jinyoung..." Mark weakly and airily called through the mask, letting out a lengthy breath after.

"I'm sorry..." Mark continued, letting his tears fall onto the pillow as he weakly released his hand from Jinyoung's cheek, slowly moving down to hold Jinyoung's hand.

"No, Mark... Why are you apologising?" Jinyoung paused when he felt a sob reaching his throat. His tears falling like a water fall.

"I should be the one apologising, Mark... I'm sorry I accused you, I should've known better, I should've trusted you. I'm sorry that-"

"Stop apologising, Jinyoung... If I hadn't taken those pills... All these wouldn't have happened. We would still be happy, and I wouldn't be lying here..." Mark sighed before he weakly tried to remove his oxygen mask, knowing that he would be okay even without it.

"But-"

At that very moment, the door creaked open, revealing Mark's team. Jinyoung smiled mildly at them before he helped Mark sit up, making sure that we wasn't hurting Mark's fresh stitches anywhere in particular.

"Hyung!" Yugyeom immediately rushed to Mark's side when the opened door revealed a conscious Mark.

"Gyeom..." Mark smiled weakly before he received a tight hug from Yugyeom, only to receive a wince in response.

"Oh my, sorry hyung, I forgot..." Yugyeom quickly let go when he realised that he probably accidentally hit Mark's chest while hugging him.

"I'm glad you're fine now, hyung." Bam Bam smiled brightly. Jackson took a deep breath, before he shouted in joy,

"Hyung is okay!!"

All of them laughed, and Mark giggled.

"I'm sorry for making you guys worry. I shouldn't have-"

"It's okay hyung~ All that matters is that you're fine now. Just promise us you won't take those pills again." Yugyeom smiled hopefully, and only smiled in relief when Mark nodded his head. Yugyeom then continued,

"And you, Mr. Park Jinyoung. You better take care of him well. Or else I'll skin you alive."

Jinyoung widened his eyes quizically, squinting his eyes as he responded to Yugyeom,

"I'm your hyung, Yugyeom. A hyung!" He opened his eyes, wide and round, challenging Yugyeom, causing the boys in the room to break out laughing.

"Quit bickering, you guys. Where's Youngjae and Hakyeon?" Mark asked, looking around to only find no one by the two names.

"Oh... Now that you've mentioned, I just realised Youngjae hyung isn't even here. Hakyeon hyung is busy with his younger brother. I think he's called Sanghyuk or something? I'll go search for Youngjae hyung." Bam Bam then exitted the room, walking towards the staff's office, attempting to search for Youngjae.

He walked down the corridors, and he saw Jaebum crying next to Youngjae. He thought he was seeing things, but he walked closer before hiding behind a wall to listen to their conversation.

"All I wanted was for Jinyoung to love me. Since high school, I couldn't bring myself to confess because of the phobia of being rejected. I gathered the courage in University, but Mark... He kept coming in the way and it's so frustrating."

"You don't love Jinyoung enough."

Bam Bam crossed his eyebrows when he heard Youngjae say that. He was confused.

What did he mean?

"What? I don't love Jinyoung enough? Do you know how much I struggled because of how much I love him? Yet can never have it returned? I love him so much that I'm so desperate for him. How can you say-"

"That's the point. You only love him enough that you only want him to be yours. You don't love him enough to put his joy before yours. What do you understand about love? You clearly don't have a very clear understanding about it. Look at Mark hyung, and look back at yourself." Youngjae paused, sighing before he continued,

"Look at the kind of sacrifices Mark made for Jinyoung through all these years just so that Jinyoung can be happy. Look back at yourself and think about it. Have you ever really just wished for Jinyoung to be sincerely happy or have you only wished for your own happiness? Have you ever sacrificed anything? I doubt so. Mark even cancelled his flight back to LA a few years back because Jinyoung had family problems and he went to help. He sacrificed the time he could spend with his family, just so Jinyoung would be okay. Now look at yourself. Don't you think you're just plain selfish? That's what you call loving a person? You got it all wrong man."

He then heard Youngjae stand up, and that was when Bam Bam quickly pretended to be walking, calling Youngjae when he saw him.

"Hyung, Mark hyung is awake. He asked about you. Go visit him."

Youngjae's eyes brightened and he quickly went to Mark's ward with Bam Bam, wanting to give his hyung a big hug.

—————

"Hyung, you're going to be discharged today. Aren't you happy that you can go home?" Yugyeom joyfully hopped around the ward, randomly squealing in joy at the other boys who shook their heads at the young and hyper assistant surgeon. It has been 2 months since Mark's surgery, and through the months, Mark came to a conclusion that he would resign from being a cardiac surgeon. He thought through the weeks and realised that all he wanted to cherish at the moment wasn't his career, but his love life with Jinyoung. Jinyoung was going to resign with him, too. They were both going to resign from being surgeons for the same reasons.

They wanted to spend more time with each other.

"Yeah, I am." Mark twitched a sad smile before he continued

"But I'm going to miss coming to this hospital everyday..."

Yugyeom's smile faded, and the other boys in the room only sighed. They were sad to know about the two top surgeons' departures from the surgery industry. They were such important people to the world of surgeons. The top 2 surgeons leaving the industry basically meant that less lives would be saved.

"I'm sorry for leaving, guys... I hope you guys understand why Jinyoung and I chose to go. We really just want to be able to spend more time together. Ever since my heart attack, we've learned to cherish each other better. We don't want to go close to losing each other again. I sincerely wish you guys would understand." Mark bit his bottom lip, sighing before he took the courage to continue

"Lying on a bed, knowing that you might die anytime if things go wrong— it's horrifying. When I was unconscious, I somehow managed to sense the worry from the people around me, and that horrified me. Knowing the amount of people who actually care and pray that I would be okay— it made me fight to live because I was too afraid to go. When I was unconscious, in my mind, I somehow saw Jinyoung and I realised that more than being afraid of losing myself, I was more afraid of losing him. I started hoping that I could pray for myself to be okay." Mark stopped when he felt his eyes starting to water. Recalling how horrifying all that felt— it made him scared again.

The boys' gazes softened in understanding, and they only stepped forward to give him a warm, comforting group hug. They were understanding enough to know what Mark faced. They were more than just friends. They were basically a surgical family. Both teams always worked closely together, and both teams always hung out together during their free time.

It pained them to hear the kind of things Mark had to go through because of his own emotional struggles, so they could only understand him when he decided to resign.

Jinyoung soon entered, smiling brightly with his eyes forming crescent moons, hugging Mark tightly before he gave Mark a peck on the lips.

"How is my Markie Pooh? Ready to go?"

The guys in the room exchanged looks of sadness, as if they couldn't bear seeing the couple leave.

What was going to happen to their teams without the lead surgeons? They weren't even sure if they would be able to work well with the new lead surgeons. Not everyone's as nice as the couple.

"Will you guys come back?" Yugyeom asked sadly, his expression giving his emotions away. Mark only stepped forward, giving Yugyeom a long hug.

"We will come back to visit if we have time, gyeom ah. You have been an amazing assistant. Thank you for all the times, Gyeomdoongs." Mark let go, smiling at Yugyeom before he hugged the rest one by one.

"It has been an amazing journey with you guys, thank you for everything." Mark smiled at them one last time before he interlaced his hand with Jinyoung's, walking out of the ward as if they were never there.

Mark and Jinyoung waited for the lift only to unexpectedly have the lift doors open and reveal Jaebum.

Mark and Jinyoung's hands tightened on each other's, standing closer. Jaebum gave them a look of guilt, only bowing 90 degrees at them before he walked straight past them.  Jinyoung and Mark only sighed in unison before they continued walking to the carpark.

Jaebum wanted to apologise.

The couple was about to open the car door before they heard a familiar voice

"Wait!" They turned to see Jaebum running towards them. Mark quickly looked to Jinyoung, only to realise how calm Jinyoung was.

"What do you-" Mark's words were cut off by Jinyoung who told him to let Jaebum speak.

"I'm sorry. This time, I sincerely am." Jaebum took a deep breath before he bowed 90 degrees down. Mark and Jinyoung exchanged looks, before Mark quickly told Jaebum to get up.

"I-It's okay." Mark continued, faking a small smile.

"It's fine, Jaebum ah. As long as you learnt from your mistake, and I hope you can move on." Jinyoung cracked a small hopeful smile. Jaebum looked down and nodded,

"Thank you for forgiving me despite all that I've done. I've learnt my lesson. Youngjae made me realise how selfish I've been all these while. I'm sorry."

Jinyoung and Mark smiled mildly, shaking their heads

"It's okay. We're not going to be here anymore. No point holding the grudge." Mark said, influenced by Jinyoung's will to forgive Jaebum.

"Thank you..." Jaebum twitched his lips into a sad smile. He would miss seeing them in the hospital.
"And good luck on being a lecturer. I've heard from Youngjae."

Jinyoung and Mark's heads snapped to face each other, smiling brightly at the mention of becoming university lecturers— or what they call professors.

"Thank you, Jaebum. We needed that. See you around." Jinyoung smiled before they got into the car, driving out of the hospital building.

They were not going to turn back.

Never.

 

 

---------A/N---------

OMG IT FEELS LIKE ITS BEEN 10 YEARS HAHAH IM SORRY FOR SUCH A LATE UPDATE T.T 
I'm sorry this is really crappy-- I'm really very very bad at happy endings and such >< I'm a very angst-styled author. Really >< 
I'm sorry for this disappointing alternate ending, I really tried my best. I wrote this just today because im on medical leave AGAIN... I've been falling sick very often for the past month and its honestly so annoying urgh goddamn... 

Btw, THANK YOU FOR 1 SUBS ILY GUYS Y'ALL ARE AMAZING <3

 

If y'all havent checked out my other story, Fate's Destiny, do check it out here: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1085859/fate-s-destiny-angst-junior-mark-got7-jinmark-markjin-got7jinyoung

 

<3