5: Trouble

Scalpel


"Mark hyung, watch out!" Yugyeom pushed Mark's hand which was holding the scalpel away.

"Hyung! You nearly cut yourself!" Yugyeom shouted at Mark in worry and anger.

Mark looked at his scalpel in horror, slightly hyperventilating.

"Hyung, focus." Jackson sternly looked into Mark's eyes.

Mark swallowed, looking at his shaking hand.

This can't go on.

"Y-Yugyeom ah. C-Can you proceed with the surgery? I can't do it. I'll call Dr. Yenny to assist."

Yugyeom stared at Mark in disbelief, exchanging glances with the rest of the team.

Bam Bam shook his head lightly, signalling Yugyeom to let it pass.

"Yubin noona, go get Dr.Yenny. Thanks." Yugyeom then quickly took the scalpel from the guilty looking Mark, and quickly proceeded.

"Go ahead, hyung." Jackson formed a straight smile, patting Mark's back before he went back to monitoring the patient's heart beat and blood pressure.

Mark looked down, sighing before he walked out of the operation room, removing his gloves, scrub cap and mask.

He quickened his pace as he headed to the lift, hoping that no one would see him— espcially the people from Jinyoung's team.

"Oh? Mark hyung?"

Mark heard a familiar voice from a distance behind him.

. Jaebum.

Mark's eyes widened, before his feet changed in direction, running towards the stairs instead.

"Wait! Mark hyung!"

Mark continued to run and he slowed down as soon as he reached the stairs.

Don't chase me.

Mark looked behind, checking if Jaebum followed him. He sighed in relief when he noticed that he was alone at the stairs.

'He will soon think about whether he still has feelings for Jinyoung or not'

No. That can't happen.

—————

Jaebum walked towards the lift, wanting to look for Jinyoung to talk about the upcoming surgery.

'Isn't that Mark?'

Jaebum crossed his eyebrows before he lifted his left arm, checking his watch.

'Isn't he supposed to be in the operation room? Why is his gown still on?'

He must've dropped surgery again.

Jaebum smirked to himself before he called out, testing Mark.

"Oh? Mark hyung?"

Mark stopped for a while before he ran to the stairs.

"Wait! Mark hyung!"

Mark didn't turn back.

Jaebum's smirk changed into a sly smile, before he walked towards the lift which welcomed him.

Jaebum knocked Jinyoung's glass door, only to receive permission to enter.

"Oh, it's you. What's up?" Jinyoung closed his file, leaning forward to pay attention to Jaebum who sat in front of him.

"Has Mark been okay?"

Jinyoung crossed his eyebrows in confusion.

Mark?

"Yeah, why? That's a bit sudden."

"Well... I saw him walking around the lift area and actually..." Jaebum pointed to the wall clock on one of the walls.

"He's supposed to be operating on Mr.Han. The transfer patient from the medicine unit."

Jinyoung raised his eyebrows, leaning back on his chair, biting his bottom lip as he started thinking.

"Mark isn't in the operation room?"

"No, he isn't."

Jaebum saw the change in Jinyoung's expression, one that told him Jinyoung realised that Mark probably hid things from him.

Bingo.

"Thanks for informing me, Jaebum ah." Jinyoung smiled mildly, urging Jaebum to leave.

Jaebum stood up and left the room, only to begin thinking to himself.

'Mark hyung, I'm sorry. I thought I was over him, but no.'

'Seeing him again made me realise, I only stopped thinking of him for you. Seeing him again made me realise that he was supposed to belong to me.' 

—————

Mark removed the gown, putting on his lab coat before he sat on his rolling chair, resting his head on his palm.

He's been taking the pills for slightly more than a month now, and so far he's been keeping it from Jinyoung very well. He acts as if he has no hangovers, acts as if he's energetic the next morning, but all the acting was about to go down the drain. His health was becoming worse, he gave up many risky surgeries, and all of them were handed to Dr.Yenny without Jinyoung knowing.

Only Yugyeom and Bam Bam knew about Mark taking pills. Bam Bam heard it from Yugyeom who was ranting about it out of worry.

Mark sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair, ruffling it later out of frustration.

He then heard a light knock on his door, and he quickly combed his hair with his fingers.

"Mark?"

Mark's eyes widened when he heard his husband's voice. It was rare for his husband to look for him at his office.

"Oh? Jinyoung?"

"Mark... Are you okay?" Jinyoung close the door behind him, walking towards Mark's side, placing his hand on Mark's shoulder.

"I'm okay, why?" Mark held in the urge to bite his bottom lip.

"What are you hiding from me? Why did you hand over the surgery to someone else?" Jinyoung's voice displayed obvious worry and hurt. It was only hurtful that Mark didn't trust Jinyoung enough to not hide things from him.

Mark panicked and it was extremely visible. Mark bit his lips and played with his fingers.

"I-I'm not hiding anything. I just didn't have the time to tell you that I handed a surgery over."

"Why did you?" Jinyoung's lips formed a thin line, praying that Mark would tell him the truth.

Mark quickly thought of a few lies, quickly making them up to sound convincing enough— which succeeded.

"Honestly, I've been losing sleep... I close my eyes but I'm not asleep. I lost focus again, that's why I had to hand over."

Jinyoung sighed, before he stood behind Mark to give him a relaxing shoulder massage.

"You're still not sleeping well? So everytime I see you sleep, you're actually awake?"

"Kind of. Like half asleep, half awake." Mark then chuckled, trying to act like it was nothing.

Jinyoung only chuckled along, continuing whatever he was doing.

That was close.

—————

On the way back home, Mark decided to tell Jinyoung about Jaebum. He wanted to ensure that Jinyoung kept his guard up, but he wasn't sure if he would succeed.

"Jinyoung ah."

Jinyoung hummed in response, still focusing on the road ahead.

"Can you... Stay away from Jaebum? I mean just keep it in the business relationship?"

Jinyoung crossed his eyebrows, grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"Why?"

"Well... I just don't want anything to happen to our marriage. I know you want me to trust Jaebum because you're working with him and-"

"Mark, just stop worrying, will you? For the past two months you've been worrying about the same thing everyday, and it's getting irritating, Mark. I've told you a thousand times, Jaebum is okay now. I see him all the time and he is fine. He is not going to do anything to us." Jinyoung's tone shocked Mark. All Mark wanted to do was to protect their marriage, but being scolded was what he got in return.

"Why do you think I'm worried? What do you think I'm even worried for? Why do I worry? Because I'm afraid to lose you, because I love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't bother trying to keep you away from Jaebum. Jaebum isn't what you think he is, Jinyoung. Jaebum is surely-"

"Jaebum is surely fine. Stop it, Mark. It's pissing me off." Jinyoung let out a heavy breath, trying to calm himself down.

"You're the one who's pissing me off here, hello? I'm trying to warn you. What if-"

"Shut up!"

Mark only widened his eyes in shock when Jinyoung raised his voice. He felt tears fill his eyes before he let out a shaky sigh, turning his head to look out of the window.

Jinyoung tightened his grip on the steering wheel again, clenching his jaw before he let out an upset sigh.

The drive back home became quiet. Mark alighted first and went up to their room immediately, not waiting for Jinyoung like he usually does.

He walked straight up the stairs, going to their room before he slammed the door.

Mark changed and washed up, not even considering to take dinner, he popped the pill into his mouth before he switched off the lights, crying and waiting for the pill to take effect.

After thirty minutes or so, Mark still wasn't asleep, and that made him feel weird. He already took a pill, so why wasn't he falling asleep? He sat up, ruffling his hair in frustration before he popped another pill into his mouth, lying back down before he finally fell asleep after awhile.

Jinyoung soon entered, seeing that the lights were off, he knew Mark was asleep. He sighed, sitting at the edge of the bed before moving in to caress Mark's face.

A small glint of light from the side lamps shone through the curtains, letting Jinyoung see the dried tears on Mark's face.

Mark cried to sleep, and that was because of him.

Jinyoung sighed as he let him thumb trace the marks of dried tears, before he softly planted a kiss on Mark's forehead.

"I'm sorry, love. I'm just stressed up, so I really hope you start worrying less, and trust me more. I honestly needed your help. Your advice. Because of the baby born with a hole in her heart. I wanted to hand it over to you, but Jaebum told me about you being out of your operation room... So I chose to let you rest and not say anything..."

Jinyoung sighed before he laid down beside Mark, hugging him tightly as he fell asleep.

————

Jinyoung woke up in the morning to realise that Mark wasn't beside him.

Jinyoung slightly panicked before he saw a post-it note on the side table.

I'm going to the hospital first. There is an emergency surgery I have to conduct. See you later.

Jinyoung sighed before he pushed his blanket away with his feet, only to have Coco run up on the bed, running around Jinyoung. Jinyoung smiled at Coco before picking Coco up as he stood up, heading down to the kitchen to search for breakfast before doing anything else, but saw a plate of pancakes on the dining table. He smiled to himself before he went to wash up.

As soon as he stepped into the toilet, he could smell puke. He immediately retreated from that toilet and went to another one at the second level without thinking much. While brushing his teeth, he realised that there was no one else who would vomit besides Mark.

'Why did Mark vomit?'

Jinyoung quickly spit out all the content in his mouth, quickly rinsing his mouth before he ran up to the stench filled toilet.

The last time Mark vomitted was when he took too many sleeping pills over a month's time.

Jinyoung quickly scannned through the toilet's surroundings, praying not to find what he despised most— the pills.

He left the toilet and quickly went to their shared room, opening drawers after drawers, checking for a bottle of pills.

He only sighed in relief when he found the older bottle of pills which seemed untouched in the same locked drawer.
He took the bottle out of the drawer, checking the expiry date before he sighed in relief again.

It was expired. Mark wouldn't have taken it.

He took the bottle with him and threw it into the bin before he went back to preparing for work.

—————

"Jinyoung ah!" Jaebum shouted from far before jogging towards Jinyoung who was heading to his office.

"Oh, yo Jaebum." They then gave each other a 'friendly' hug as usual.

"What's up?" Jinyoung raised an eyebrow.

Jaebum bit his bottom lips before he took a deep breath before saying something.

"This morning, I walked past Mark hyung and I heard the sound of pills in his bag."

Jinyoung's expression tensed, his thoughts starting to escalate.

"I overheard Yugyeom talking to Bam Bam about sleeping pills a few days ago, and I think it is related."

Jaebum only mentally smirked when he saw how Jinyoung started to think intensively.

Bingo again.

Jinyoung only lightly nodded before he walked right into the lift which reached without saying a word.

Jaebum smirked when Jinyoung turned his back. He knew it would strike Jinyoung hard. So hard that the couple might fall out.

That's exactly why he was doing such things.

—————

Mark sighed as he leaned against his chair, rubbing his tummy. The surgery was successful without any mishaps, and he was glad he didn't make any mistakes.

His stomach wasn't feeling good. He felt like vomitting every now and then— it was really uncomfortable.

Maybe because of taking two pills last night.

He quickly repositioned himself to look as if nothing was wrong when he heard a knock on his door.

"Hyung." He heard Yugyeom's voice before Yugyeom revealed himself from the other side of the door.

"Oh, Yugyeom ah." Mark smiled mildly before offering Yugyeom to sit.

"Hyung, there will be a major surgery tomorrow afternoon, are you prepared?"

Mark tensed up at the mention of a major surgery. He lost his confidence in major surgeries ever since he took pills— because his hands started to shake every now and then, and because he kept losing focus.

"Y-yeah. The patient has low blood pressure, so we have to be sure to have at least 3 bags of O-Type blood with us."

"Jackson and Yubin have that prepared."

Mark nodded lightly before Yugyeom started speaking again.

"Hyung, are you still taking pills? You've been gaining weight."

Mark raised an eyebrow before his eyes looked everywhere but Yugyeom.

"Hyung. Stop eating those pills. You know what it can do to you. You're a surgeon, you're a cardiologist, you should know better. Start using natural ways to tackle your insomnia, not using those liver and heart harming pills. Don't dig your own grave, hyung."

Mark only looked at Yugyeom with eyes that screamed 'I can't'. Yugyeom sighed, shaking his head lightly before he tried persuading him again.

"You can, hyung. Don't give me those eyes. You can do it and you know it. Don't become a victim of your own negativity. Don't-"

"I'm trying, Gyeom ah. I'm trying. But I just can't sleep without the pills. I can't. Not when Jaebum is in the way." Mark paused when he felt tears welling up in his eyes. Yugyeom's eyes only told him one thing— confusion.

Jaebum was in the way?

"How is Jaebum in the way, hyung? What's going on?"

Mark shook his head, sighing before he spoke.

"Nothing... Just pretend I never said anything." Mark looked down, wiping his tears before he stood up, leaving his own office with Yugyeom who only followed him out.

"Hyung-"

"Stop asking, Yugyeom. Leave me alone." Mark gave Yugyeom a stern stare before he walked off again, heading towards somewhere he himself wasn't sure of. 

 

——— A/N ———

MUAHAHA here is chapter 5, ready to damage all your hearts *^O^* Chapter 6 might stab u in the heart, so please prepare your shields, my lovely readers~

Thank you for subscribing and supporting me!! Please do comment— they give me huge motivation ~^O^~ a big thank you to all who commented and communicated with me <3 im always glad to talk to u guys and make new friends ^^

Do follow me on twitter and instagram if you wanna find out more about me~

Insta: @jung.cl
Twitter: @starlight_CL

I have a private spam instagram acc, mostly all my kpop/got7 junk derp screenshots and some of my captionless pictures ><
U can follow if you want. @_its.cl_ 
Not many ppl follow me thr cuz not many ppl know abt it, so yes HAHAHA

If you follow me on any of those, do tell me that ure from aff! (*^﹏^*)

Ive made friends from that before. Ive even got some of their numbers and we talk every now and then when we talk about certain stories, so do remember to tell me who u are on aff too!

Love all of you amazing peeps, stay awesome and lovely.