2: Fall Out

Scalpel

(A/N: Sorry again for the a/n opening, but anyways hahaha dont get confused for this chap too! Cuz it will change from uni days to working days (as surgeons in the hospital) so do note the changes ^^) 

 

It was year three, about a year into Mark and Jinyoung's relationship. Mark's parents who were in LA already knew about their relationship because Mark told them about it earlier, since his parents always wanted him to find a partner— but it was a different case for Jinyoung. Jinyoung didn't dare to expose his relationship to his parents as he thought they would be against it. He never knew whether his parents ever gave him the green light because they never told him before, not until Jinyoung asked recently. Only then did he find out that his parents were dying for him to get a girlfriend— or maybe a boyfriend. Jinyoung knew that his parents weren't against gay relationships since his parents were open minded about it.

Jinyoung was only shocked when his parents were glad that he found a boyfriend. They wanted to see him right after the day Jinyoung told them about Mark's existence.

"My parents want to meet you." Jinyoung suddenly told Mark when they were at their regular cafe after school— with Jaebum as usual.

Jaebum who was sipping on his green tea latte, stopped to listen.

What was it about this time?

Mark choked on his galbi tang,

"W-What? I thought you just told them about our relationship like... last night?" Mark blinked, still slightly choking.

So his parents approved it, huh? Right, Jaebum nearly forgot how open minded and nice Jinyoung's parents were. 

"I did, and they told me they want to see you tomorrow night for dinner." Jinyoung chuckled at Mark who failed to keep his shocked expression.

"Well then that's even more absurd! Tomorrow night? What am I going to wear? I got no proper clothes. What am I going to say? I'm awkward and-" Mark was cut off by Jinyoung's finger, which was placed on Mark's lips to shut him up.

That's some kind of magical 'shut up' skinship. 

Jaebum couldn't help but turn his head away, enduring and suppressing the jealousy that rose. How long more did he have to deal with this never ending emotion?

He never knew. 
Jinyoung put his finger down, then holding Mark's hand gently, reassuring him with a small rub.

"It's going to be okay. Just wear anything presentable. My parents are nice and I'm sure they'll love you. They're open minded about relationships like ours. So don't worry."

Before Mark could reply, they heard Jaebum choke on his green tea latte.

"Hey Jaebum, you okay?" Mark asked, sincerely concerned for Jaebum for once.

"Y-yeah. I just breathed while swallowing."

No, not okay. 

"You should be careful, Jaebum hyung."

Jaebum only looked at Jinyoung and lifted the corner of his lips into a small smile.

"I will next time."

Not when I'm always here to witness the two of you progress.

"Where were we again?" Mark asked Jinyoung, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, right. Just don't worry about it. I'll go to your place at 5 tomorrow, and I'll see what you can wear— since you don't know what to wear."

Mark could honestly only hear what Jinyoung said up till 'at 5 tomorrow'. He noticed how Jaebum was spacing out every now and then, with obvious hurt in his eyes. The way Jaebum looked at Jinyoung a while ago— it wasn't unnoticed by Mark.

'Does Jaebum actually like Jinyoung?'

When they left the cafe, Jinyoung sent Mark home as usual. Usually Jaebum would walk in the same direction as them first, then separate ways to head for another road— but Jaebum headed the other direction this time.

"Jaebum hyung! Why aren't you coming with us?" Jinyoung turned towards the direction that Jaebum headed to, causing Mark to turn as well.

Jaebum turned to look at the couple, attempting to answer Jinyoung, but it felt like words were stuck in his throat at the very moment he saw the couple with interlaced hands.

"Isn't your bus stop this way?" Mark asked, pointing towards their own direction.

Jaebum forced a smile, finding it difficult to hold up the muscles at he corner of his lips.

"I-I'm heading somewhere else today before going home. You guys go ahead." Jaebum tried his best to keep smiling, trying to cheer himself up at the same time.

They always said that the muscle is magical. When you smile, your mood instantly improves. They said it, so please, let him feel happier. He was twitching that muscle, but why was he still sad? 

Mark noticed how Jaebum's smile slowly started to look fake, but Jinyoung remained oblivious. Mark felt like asking Jaebum if he was fine, but he knew that the question he wanted to ask could cause Jaebum to break down instead, so he kept quiet.

It was indeed too fake.

"Take care, then. See you next week, Jaebum." Jinyoung smiled at him before both Mark and Jinyoung turned back to start walking, hands still interlaced.

Don't smile like this, it hurts more.

Jaebum soon found himself walking towards a tree in the college he used to attend with Jinyoung. He didn't know how his legs brought him here, but they did. He wished it was raining because at least, the sky could start crying with him. Wasn't it only typical for the sky to cry with him? So why wasn't the sky crying— or even, why wasn't it grey at all?

Jaebum couldn't hold his tears back any longer, he sat under the tree, like how he used to hangout with Jinyoung here, and he felt his tears damping his cheeks.

It's more painful to experience heartbreak on a sunny day. Rain, won't you?

As much as Jaebum wanted to hate Mark, he couldn't. He didn't have a reason to. It was only his fault that he never had the guts to confess to Jinyoung since college.

But they always say— once bitten, twice shy.

So it was never really Jaebum's fault for being afraid to confess to the person he likes again. His first experience scarred him for life. He would never want to make that scar an open wound again.

Why was loving someone always so hard for him?

—————

The walk back to Mark's place was peaceful and the couple enjoyed the quiet atmosphere. It was quiet, but not an awkward kind of quiet— but a comfortable kind of quiet. Only until Mark broke the silence.

"Jinyoung ah, I think... I think Jaebum likes you." Mark bit his bottom lip, unsure if he made the right move of speaking up.

Jinyoung raised an eyebrow and stopped walking before turning to face Mark.

"What do you mean? Of course he li-"

"Not that kind like, Jinyoung ah. I mean like as in he has a crush on you. It's not even minor. It's getting pretty obvious. I don-"

"But how do you know?" Jinyoung asked, raising his eyebrows in worry and curiousity. If Jaebum actually fell for him, if might affect their pure friendship.

"The way he looked at you at the cafe. His eyes screamed ouch, his eyes were speaking a thousand words and all words that explained hurt in the dictionary. He was spacing out every now and then after you told me that your parents wanted to see me."

Mark noticed Jinyoung's expression change. He was thinking. 
Why didn't he notice Jaebum's change?

"When he walked to a different direction, his smile was fake. Very fake. I saw through that, Jinyoung. It's not ordinary for Jaebum to behave like this. He used to be cocky around you, and even overly talkative sometimes. Ever since I came around as your boyfriend, he's been changing. I'm sorry for-"

"Don't apologise for something you've never done, dear. I get your point. But I trust that Jaebum wouldn't hurt himself or even try to hurt us. I've known him for years and I believe he'll be okay. Thank you for telling me, Mark." Jinyoung gave Mark a light peck on his forehead.

—————

Jaebum paced back and forth around his room the next day, thinking and thinking.

He couldn't allow the Park family to approve their relationship. 

He thought for a while more, before he picked up his phone, heaving a heavy sigh before dialling Jinyoung's number.

I hope I won't regret this.

"Jinyoung? Mark told me to tell you something."

Sorry, Jinyoung. And Sorry, Mark. 

—————

It was already 4 in the afternoon when Mark received a phone call from Jaebum.

That's weird.

"Mark hyung? Jinyoung told me that his parents cancelled the dinner tonight, and told me to tell you on his behalf because there is an urgent matter that his family has to attend to. He told me to tell you not to call him because he wouldn't be able to pick up his phone."

That's even weirder. Why didn't Jinyoung take the time to inform him himself instead?

"W-What? O-Okay. Thanks for informing me, Jaebum."

Mark hung up before he held his phone tightly, pondering if he should give Jinyoung a call. He didn't trust Jaebum, not a single bit ever since he realised that Jaebum has a crush on Jinyoung.

Anyone can do anything for love.

He let out a small sigh before he decided to call Jinyoung.

"Hello? Mark? I thought you told Jaebum you wouldn't be able to pick-"

"Wait, Jinyoung, he told you that too?" Mark's tone was firm. Jinyoung could tell that Mark sensed something.

"Yeah? Why? Didn't you have to do something for your parents who are in LA?" Jinyoung's tone became unsure. The firmness in Mark's voice already told him that something was up, but he was confused as to what Mark meant by 'he told you that too?'.

"No, Jinyoung. This is surely a set up. He told you that I have something on, right? But he told me that your parents had something on. He also told me not to call you because you said you wouldn't be able to pick up. I sensed something wrong and that's why I'm talking to you now." Mark's voice was slightly raised, which made Jinyoung realise that Mark was probably upset at Jaebum, and maybe even him for trusting Jaebum so much to not even confirm with Mark first.

"Doesn't that mean... Jaebum tried to stop you from meeting my parents?" Jinyoung's voice gradually grew soft as he slowly comprehended what Jaebum's motive was.

He tried to stop them from being approved. 

"Mark, call me later, I have to talk to Jae-"

"No, Jinyoung. Come to my place first. We still have to meet your parents. If you want to talk to Jaebum, do it after we meet your parents. Don't let this distract us."

Jinyoung sighed, but smiled in relief when he realised that at least, it wasn't cancelled.

"Okay sweetie. I'll be at your place by 5. See you."

"See you, Jinyoungie. Love you."

"Love you too."

—————

Mark breathed in nervously, holding Jinyoung's hands tightly.

What if his parents didn't like him? What if he wasn't good enough for Jinyoung's parens? What if his parents didn't accept gay couples like Jinyoung said? 
He wasn't exactly sure.

Jinyoung's sensed Mark's nervousness and gave his hand a small, reassuring squeeze.

"Don't worry, love. Just breathe in and relax. My parents will love you. You ready?" Mark took a deep breath before nodding his head, only to get a light peck on his cheek from Jinyoung.

"Now, let's go in." Jinyoung smiled at Mark, interlacing their hands before he opened the door to his house.

"Mum, Dad. This is Mark, my boyfriend that you wanted to meet." Jinyoung's hands were no longer holding Mark's, but instead, it was over Mark's shoulder.

"Ohh hi Mark dear. You're pretty. I must say my son had great taste in men." Somehow, the comment that Jinyoung's mum made, made Mark feel less nervous. She was nice.

"Good evening, Jinyoung's mum and dad. Nice to meet you." Mark smiled at both Jinyoung's parents before they offered him to have a seat at the dining table, where the food was already displayed on the table.

"So, how did both of you get together?" Jinyoung's dad asked in a lively, accepting tone.

Mark glanced at Jinyoung before he blushed at the memory of Jinyoung's confession.

Simply unforgettable.

"Actually, Jinyoung confessed to me first. We both had feelings for each other but we kept mum for quite long. Until last year, Jinyoung confessed to me at the school rooftop with the help of a few friends." Mark said shyly, voice deep yet soft at the same time.

Jinyoung's parents looked at Jinyoung with playful eyes before Jinyoung's mum started speaking

"I never knew my son is such a romatic kid. Has he been treating you well?"

"Mum! What is that supposed to mean?" Jinyoung felt his cheeks flush red before he heard Mark laugh.

"He has been treating me extremely well. He tutored me throughout year one, and that helped me get to where I am today. He also sends me home from school everyday despite me telling him it's not a need. He is the type of protective and caring boyfriend."

Jinyoung gave Mark a playful look before he added

"That's an ideal boyfriend, my dear." Jinyoung winked, only to receive a light punch on his shoulder from Mark.
Jinyoung's parents were chuckling at how sweet the two were.

"Ohh so this is the friend of yours that you always tutored? So it was Mark? It's sweet how you guys came about to become a couple." Jinyoung's mum commented, causing Mark to blush a little.

"So, son, what kind of person is Mark?" Despite Jinyoung's dad asking in a friendly tone, it got Mark a little nervous. He never knew how Jinyoung looked at him. Why would he? He was hoping Jinyoung wouldn't say anything that would let his parents mistaken what he is.

"Well actually, Mark is from LA, so he actually lives in Korea alone without his family. It might not seem like it, but Mark is actually a really quiet person. When I first met him, I assumed he was mysterious and cold, but actually I got it totally wrong." He glanced at Mark who was biting his lips before he held Mark's hand in reassurance and continued

"He is a really sweet and sincere guy, and I love to call him my ball of fluff. Mum, Dad, would you believe it if I told you he rushed to a stray dog and actually ran across the street to get it food? And then taking the dog back home?"

Jinyoung's parents raised their eyebrows

"That's really nice of you, Mark. Do you like animals?"

That's the exact same question Jinyoung once asked him.

"Actually, I just really love dogs. I'm okay with animals but I have a thing for... dogs." Mark scratched the back of his head awkwardly, not knowing how to phrase his sentence properly.

"I see I see. Jinyoung mentioned you live in Korea alone?"

"Oh, yes. But now I have Coco- I mean Coco which is my dog."

"Wouldn't it be good if Jinyoung moved in with you?"

Mark and Jinyoung's heads snapped to face each other, taken aback by the absurb question.

But it wasn't a bad idea, right?

"Why? Is it a bad idea?" Jinyoung's mum asked again, looking at the couple with question marks all over her head.

"N-No, but-"

"No it's not, Mum. Indeed it's a good idea. I can keep him company and we can study together everyday till final year." Jinyoung then looked at Mark, eyes sparkling. Mark blinked, unsure of how to react. He was still shocked about how Jinyoung's mum asked that question so casually. Sure they've beem together for more than a year, but Mark wasn't prepared to hear such a thing coming from anyone— especially not Jinyoung's parents.

"Mark dear, are you fine with that? I don't want my furture son-in-law to be lonely at home everyday. I want my son to take care of you and learn to grow with you."

Mark looked at Jinyoung's mum with clear contemplation in his eyes, before he felt a squeeze on his hands from Jinyoung.

It's probably a signal to say yes.

"I'm fine with it, Jinyoung's-"

"Oh please, Mark, call me Mum, call him Dad. And Jinyoung ah, go pack your bags. You're leaving this house to take care of Mark today. I'll explain to your sisters when they're back from work for you. Now go, go pack." They then stodd up, and Mark attempted to help clean up the table, but was stopped but Jinyoung's mum.

"It's okay, leave the cleaning to me. Now go help Jinyoung pack." She gave him a warm smile, patting his back lightly.

Mark smiled back and mouthed a 'thank you', before he linked arms with Jinyoung and went to Jinyoung's room. 

"Hey, how did you agree on that? You didn't even have to spend like at least 5 seconds thinking." Mark pouted as he sat on Jinyoung's bed.

"Why? You don't want me to live with you?" Jinyoung pouted back at Mark, but with a slightly more exaggerated look.

"No, not that. I was just wondering why your parents were so quick to accept me and even trust me for you to move in with me. I was thinking real hard back there but you snapped my train of thoughts by saying yes." Mark puffed his cheeks, unintentionally looking at Jinyoung cutely.

"I told you, they're open minded. I guess my parents like you that much since my mun called you her future son-in-law, Marky." Jinyoung chuckled and pinched Mark's cheeks.

"Well... True. Can't help it. You have a fabulous boyfriend." They both started laughing together before they started to pack Jinyoung's clothes.

They were done packing when Jinyoung's phone started ringing.

Who's that?

Defsoul Hyung

Jinyoung felt his anger rise when he saw the caller ID, but Mark held his hand softly, and that made him calm down slightly. He sighed before he accepted the call, putting it on speaker so Mark could hear.

"Hey, Jinyoung. Are you free now?"

Jinyoung and Mark exchanged looks, before Jinyoung rolled his eyes at his phone as if Jaebum could see.

"No. I'm currently packing my bags to move in to Mark's. Why?"

Mark glanced at the clock

It's only 8.30p.m.

"Wait what? You're moving out of your own place to live with Mark? Why?" Jaebum's voice displayed obvious jealousy which Jinyoung finally caught.

"Because my mum wanted me to. She wants me to take care of her future son-in-law well."

Jaebum will get hurt. 

"But isn't Mark busy today? Wasn't he settling his family-"

"Apparently he managed to put aside his family matters for me." Jinyoung's voice only grew colder with every reply. He was only holding it in because he didn't want to rage over the phone. He would rather rage in person.

"A-Ah... Okay. Never mind then. Bye." Jaebum hung up before Jinyoung could say anything.

—————

"Hey, Jinyoung. Are you free now?" Jaebum held onto his phone tightly, nervous about something even he didn't know. He felt nervous, he felt like something was going to happen, but he couldn't tell what. He called only to confirm that Mark didn't go to Jinyoung's house, but the moment Jinyoung replied, he felt his heart break into a million pieces.

"No. I'm currently packing my bags to move in to Mark's. Why?"

Why is he moving to Mark's?

"Wait what? You're moving out of your own place to live with Mark? Why?" Jaebum tried his best to hide the jealousy and hurt, but he wasn't sure if he succeeded. It might've been way too obvious.

"Because my mum wanted me to. She wants me to take care of her future son-in-law well."

Future son-in-law?

Shoots. They're approved by Jinyoung's parents.

Jaebum felt his heart beat faster, like his heart was predicting something bad ahead. More than anything,

He felt hurt.

"But isn't Mark busy today? Wasn't he settling his family-" 

"Apparently he managed to put aside his family matters for me." Jinyoung's voice was as cold as ice.

What is this painful feeling?

"A-Ah... Okay. Never mind then. Bye." Jaebum quickly pressed the red button on his screen, breathing heavily.

He stared into blank space, before he felt his hands get wet.

He looked down only to see his vision blurred by his tears.

He didn't even know he was crying.

Jaebum walked to school alone the next morning, feeling his foot steps get heavier as he got nearer to the university.

Maybe he did regret his actions.

When he reached the pond in the school, he was only shocked to see Mark and Jinyoung sitting at the wooden bench together, having a serious talk.

Hoping that the couple didn't notice him, he attempted to run away, but when he turned, Jinyoung tapped him from behind.

Where did Mark go?

"Im Jaebum." He became scared at Jinyoung's cold and serious tone. He was never like that towards him.

Did he find out?

"What you did yesterday— it's not cool. Why did you lie? Why did you try stopping Mark from seeing my parents? Do you not want me to be happy?"

'I just wanted to be happy. Can't I be selfish for once? I just wanted to be happy like anyone else, like you.'

Jaebum only kept quiet. He couldn't express what he was thinking. He just couldn't.

"Im Jaebum! Answer me!" Jinyoung's raised voice shocked Jaebum, Jaebum took a step back, keep a larger distance from his own best friend, but Jinyoung only took a step closer.

Don't come any nearer.

"I-I don't know..."

"What do you mean you don't know? How long did you take to make up lies for two different people? How long did we take to build our trust as friends or even, as brothers?"

Jaebum kept quiet again, answering Jinyoung's questions only in his head. They were never brothers, not when Jaebum fell for Jinyoung.

"Where did all your words go? I thought you were always a good talker? I thought you were always good at smoking through these kind of things? Why aren't you at least trying to come up with some lame excuse that I might be convinced with?" Why are you keeping quiet?" Jinyoung's voice held obvious anger and disappointment. Jaebum couldn't help but look down in guilt.

Sorry. 

"Jaebu-"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I had my reasons to. I just couldn't stand seeing you guys progress all the way till the extent of meeting your parents. I just can't." Jaebum felt his tears welling up, but he clenched his fists, trying to hold them in.

He couldn't break down in front of the main reason why he was broken.

"Why not? I thought you would support me, I tought you would-"

"You thought you were just a best friend of mine and you thought I was your brother. You thought, but it isn't the case, Jinyoung. I liked you since college but you never knew. I came to university hoping that maybe, maybe I would get over my trauma of confessing, but just when I thought I got over it, you got Mark. Mark ruined the whole thing for me, but yet I had to pretend to be fine with hanging with both of you, I had to-"

"You didn't have to pretend. You could've just said no thank you to hanging out with us. Mark didn't ruin anything for you. You did. Up till here, we could still be best friends if you didn't pull the stupid tricks to try and stop us from being approved by my parents. Up till here, we could still hang out as per normal, but guess what? I guess we can't anymore. I'm not going to stick around you anymore. Not after what you did, not after breaking years of trust."

Jaebum tightened his already clenched fists.

Ouch.

"You're ending our friendship just like that because of Mark? You-"

"You're the one who tried to stop Mark from meeting my parens. You're the one who lied to Mark and I. I trusted you, but I guess I was wrong for doing so. You could've busted Mark's chance, my chance. How low can you get just because of your petty jealousy, to put our trust and friendship on the goddamn line? Isn't this what you brought upon yourself? Our friendship is done, Jaebum." Jinyoung turned to walk away, but Jaebum stopped him, grabbing his wrist.

"Jinyoung, I-" before Jaebum could even say anything else, Jinyoung roughly pulled his hand away, walking towards a certain direction, walking off with someone else at a certain point.

There Mark was.

Jaebum loosened his clenched fists, feeling his body turn weak. His tears started falling uncontrollably.

He did regret his actions. He lost the person he loves, and his bestfriend. He lost him because of his petty jealousy. He indeed, did regret.

—————

Mark and Jinyoung sat at the bench near the school pond, discussing about Jaebum.

"When you confront him later, please don't do anything harsh. He is still your bestfriend after all."

"Nah, I don't care. What he did was not acceptable."

"No matter how unacceptable it is, just don't say anything too harsh. He is broken enough. Don't break him even more. I will feel really bad if he gets hurt, or even if something happens to your friendship."

"It will be okay." Jinyoung squeezed Mark's hand lightly, smiling mildly.

"Jinyoungie, isn't that Jaebum?" Mark pointed at Jaebum who had his back turned, attempting to run. 
"Mark, I'll go talk to him. You-"

"I'll wait for you at the front." Mark lightly pushed Jinyoung forward, rushing him to get Jaebum.

After a while, Jinyoung walked towards Mark's direction. Once they met, they linked hands.

"How was it? Did you do anything bad?" Mark asked softly, praying for the best.

"Our friendship ended." Jinyoung replied casually, giving Mark a shock.

"I told you not to hurt him... Why did your friendship end? What did you say?" Mark looked into Jinyoung's eyes worriedly, not being able to let go of the fact that he was probably the main reason why a friendship ended.

"It's nothing, Mark. Don't worry about it. I don't want him interfering in my life and my relationship. Just know that you're not the main reason. It's going to be okay. Trust me."

Mark heaved a heavy sigh, nodding

"I trust you." 

—————

Many years went down the road, and the couple both became cardiac surgeons. Mark became one of the top few cardiologists in Seoul and he was a  highly demanded surgeon. Many patients asked for his help as almost all surgeries he conducted were successful— even if they were high risk surgeries.

Whereas Jinyoung came second to his own husband. He was also highly demanded, but not as much as Mark. He couldn't do high risk surgeries as well as Mark did.

Their surgical teams consisted of all the top people of each role. Some of their university friends were in their teams, but they took a different role from what the graduated from. Some of their friends pursued different roles instead of only exposing themselves to one. Mark's team used to have Wonshik, but Wonshik left to pursue music, so Bam Bam replaced his role.

Mark's team consisted of a young but skilled assistant surgeon named Yugyeom, another young but skilled anesthesiologist, Bam Bam, who was mentioned earlier, an experienced anesthetist, Jackson, a quick witted circulating nurse, Yubin, and a careful, pretty surgical tech, Ji Min.

While Jinyoung's team consisted of one university friend, Hakyeon, as his Anesthesiologist. His anesthetist, Youngjae, who was a scholar in his university, Sun Mi, Jinyoung's circulating nurse, and his surgical tech, Yerin. His team lacked an assistant surgeon because his former assistant surgeon resigned, and the chairman of the hospital was about to introduce a new assistant surgeon to his team.

Jinyoung's team and the chairperson were in the meeting room, and the chairperson explained the person's skills and where he graduated from.

Medical University of Seoul. MUS.

They soon stopped discussing, and the chairperson was about to welcome the team's new assistant surgeon.

"Im Jaebum sshi, please come in."

Im Jaebum?

The door to the meeting room opened, a familiar face showed, just with an unfamiliar hair colour.

"Hello everyone, my name is Im Jaebum. I graduated from MUS, transferred here from NHS." The said person bowed, and when he looked up, his eyes met Jinyoung's.

He made a small, familiar smile.

It's him.


 

———A/N———

Wheeee here's chapter 2! Sorry again if it's disappointing! >< I hope this is okay because I didn't re write this chapter at all— unlike chapter 1.

Ive been down with some crazy Markjin and Markbum disease /lord save me/
I really love love love MarkJin, but Markbum has been getting to me lately. #GDI
Even though in this story there's definitely no markbum *laugh-cry-emoji*

Andddd here comes the hospital/working days. Beep beep there's jaebum in Jinyoung's surgical team #oops #herecomestrouble

Hash tags are fun #funashell #okayimsorry #imalilhigh #excuseme

Thank you for reading and see u in the next chapter XD #commentjuseyo ;* #thanksforsubscribing #loveyall

 

(SECUTEEEE)