chap 2

Classic het

 

Some of you seemed to find this interesting enough. I kinda find it funny reading it again. It's a very different english than the one I'm using now. I can so easily see the influence of reading way too many historic novels with fancy words.
Pairing: het
Genre: inspired by romantic historic novel

Part 1,

3 – The second party
Catherine was glowing in a pink dress. She looked like the picture of perfection. Next to her was Sara in a light blue dress and the Countess in a striking red dress. Everyone in the park where they were strolling paused to look at Catherine while the other two went completely unnoticed.

This time however Sara did not care about comparisons. Today they would not mortify her because she was enjoying her walk in the park too much to take notice of the people passing by.

They were approached by an acquaintance from their part of the country: Baron Malcolm accompanied by a young gentleman. While the other two simply greeted him and made no more notice of the old man, preferring instead to engage the attentions of young Viscount Samson, Sara however was very glad to see the Baron. He gave her his arm and the two walked behind the others exchanging news. Baron Malcolm was just arrived at London and could tell her how everything was back at her home. Since he walked slowly they soon were far behind.

Baron Malcolm was in the middle of a fishing story when a group of four men passed them by. One of those men Sara noticed was Richard Tempest and she was unsettled. Would he acknowledge her? But they had not been formally presented. If her mother happened to look behind she would be in trouble.

Lavenport had just managed to stop talking with Catherine Forsythe and her aunt; they were formidable in trying to secure his attention. He had to admit she was the most beautiful woman he had ever saw in his entire life, but those eyes, he knew that spark. She had the same eyes as his late wife. All she obviously cared was dresses and jewels. In her haste to talk to him she had even left poor Viscount Samson in mid sentence. The look of dismay of the poor man had been sad enough that Lavenport even took pity on him.

After he had distanced from the young temptress, he looked back and saw that she was once again giving her full attention to Viscount Samson, to the man’s delight. Lavenport was disgusted.

Even under the bright sunny day, memories of his late wife started flooding his mind and he became totally distracted of his surroundings.

G – “Look, the Baron caught a different kind of fish. That is a big one.”

Lavenport looked to see who Gladstone was referring to and recognized an old companion to his father’s fishing trips. Baron Malcolm was famous for enjoying little more than fishing. However, the comment on the young lady annoyed him, Gladstone could be stupid sometimes.

On a second look he was surprised to recognize the lady. It was Sara in full day light. She was easy to recognize due to her shape, many of the other young ladies were much thinner. He decided that his guess was correct; she would indeed not be too plain. He was happy for that on her behalf.

As he passed by Sara in the arms of Baron Malcolm and the men accompanying him silently tipped their heads to acknowledge the Baron, he looked directly at Sara and tipped his head to her alone. He decided he liked her eyes; they reminded him of his mother’s eyes. They were kind and bright. He missed the conversations he used to have with his mom as a little boy. He had a good relationship with his father, but there never was the time or space for the same kind of open conversation.

Later that same day, Lavenport sighed; another party, another endless flow of meaningless chatter. The place was overcrowded, he could not see where the smoking room was and he was finding himself having to dance to at least avoid talking. While dancing there was no way to talk and the dances were all thirty minutes. On one of the twirls around the room he saw someone open a door and close it again upon seeing the library. As soon as the dance ended he excused himself and headed straight to that door.

As he was about to open the door, Count Davernood appeared out of nowhere to greet him.

D – “Young Richard, so glad to see you. I know we have already talked but I was counting on us having a business meeting.”

L– “Peter, how do you do?” - Said Lavenport with a sigh, not being able to disguise that he didn’t welcome the interruption.

D – “You look upset.”

L – “It’s all these parties. Is there nothing else to Summer except showing off unmarried women? It starts to resemble a parade of cattle for sale. Oh, I’m sorry. I forgot.”

D – “Oh, yes, I have a niece that is also showing off as you so expertly put it. My daughter is also here. You probably remember her?”

L – “A brunette pretty little girl of eight years old? Trying to knock me off my horse because I said something she didn’t like? And damn near succeeding?”

D – “Well, you did insult her doll. “

L – “Judging from your niece and from what I remember, she must be a beauty.”

D – “I am a father, I think she is amazing. So what about our business meeting? I suppose I can neglect my duties and meet you at Cortington’s Club instead of attending another party.”

L – “To actually not go to a party I’m invited to?”

D – “You’re right. Bad idea.”

L – “No, excellent idea. If your women can spare you, I can certainly use your company. It will be nice to talk to someone who knows business.”

D – “Ok, then how about tomorrow at two o’clock?”

L – “Perfect.”

The two shook hands and Count Davernood went on his way to the smoking room. Lavenport stood looking at the library door. If he could talk to Davernood, there was no need to seek the advice of a sixteen year old girl. Everyone would laugh at him if they knew. Social conventions; he hated social conventions. Remembering that was enough. He opened the door.

It was empty and dark. This library was much smaller; in fact it was obvious it only served one purpose which was to allow the house owner to be able to say he had a library. One quick glance at the shelves assured him there was nothing here worth reading. But there was silence, so he sat in a chair in front of the window and stared at the sky.

Social conventions had made his mother sad. He remembered how smart she was but his father would not allow her anything more besides running the house and looking pretty when he received guests. They both would sneak into his father’s study when he was away. The Marquess of Lavenport would study her husband’s papers and prepare her son so he could make suggestions to his father on the pretence that he wanted to learn to run the Estate.

He tried to make his father accept that he should listen to his wife. Once he even went so far as to tell his father that the great idea he had complimented him on, was actually his mother’s. The Marquis refused to use the idea, which caused him monetary losses. Richard had not talked with his father for a full month because of that.

The Marquess gradually helped him to accept that his father would not change his mind. He accepted but all these years after, he was yet to forgive. His relationship with his father never fully recovered and that was made worse when the Marquess died. Shortly after, he was a married man and moving to India to develop the business he had started. That same business that had been his mother’s suggestion, and the one on which he was now about to improve following another woman’s suggestion.

He remembered his meeting with his father. The Marquis of Lavenport was older, much older. Long gone was the strength Richard always associated with his father and he looked sad and lonely. The meeting was awkward. The old man, besides being proud of his son and evidently missing him, also wanted to reminiscence of his late wife and Richard felt at a loss. It surprised him when he finally admitted to his father that his import business had been his mother’s idea and the old man’s eyes sparkled for the first time.

ML – “She was an amazing woman. Beauty and brains. I am sorry I never valued her intelligence the way I should have; like the way you did and would always kept trying for me to do.”

He sighed, leaned closer to his son, touched his hand and added:

ML – “And I am also very sorry I pushed you into marrying a woman with only beauty. I admit what attracted me most to your mother was how she could talk with me. There were other equally beautiful women but none of them could form a sentence beyond saying what the weather was like that day. Your mother on the other hand, made me laugh and could talk with me for hours. I guess I was jealous of how she was actually better at business than I was. My pride got in the way. I am sorry it also got in your way. Elisabeth was not the right woman for you. If I wasn’t so angry with you at the time, maybe…”

L – “Dad, stop. Let’s just talk about now. What have you been doing?”

The old man looked up.

ML – “I just thought I should tell you.”

L – “I think I know that, that I knew all of that. I was also too angry at the time.”

They looked at each other in silent, and it was like they formed a new bond between them. The rest of the conversation went as easy as Richard’s old conversations with his mom.

Lavenport was still congratulating how it was so much better now that he and his father could talk that he did not notice movement behind him.

S – “Mr. Tempest, will you make a habit out of frequenting libraries?”

Lavenport jumped, startled. He had completely forgotten where he was.

Sara had entered the library to escape from the overcrowded ballroom. She had had the company of Baron Malcolm for some time, but she was tired of the noise and heat. Knowing the library in this house was dark and empty from a previous party, even if it had no good books, she had decided to return to her habit of waiting the end of the party at a library. But she was not expecting company. Sara had been in the brink of turning away when she recognized the young handsome man sitting in front of the window.

L – “Ah, Sara Lois. Here we are again, going against all social conventions.”

Sara did not expect to be reminded of how inappropriate it was for two single persons to be meeting alone in a room. That had not been an issue at their first chance encounter. Even at the end, when he had offered to accompany her out, she had not remembered that. Always fearful of the day her mother will try to marry her, she only had thought of not been seen next to an eligible man. Suddenly self conscious of being found at a fault, and a serious one, she excused herself and headed to the door.

At first Richard stared and then, realizing she was about to leave, he jumped from his seat and was almost grabbing her arm when he saw her looking suddenly scared at him.

L – “Damn. I’m sorry. Please forgive. Please, Miss Lois, forgive me. I did not mean what I said. Please stay. The only reason I am here is because I was in the hopes of meeting you.”

S – “Why?”

L – “Why?”

S – “Yes, Mr. Tempest, why? Why would you want to meet me again? Our conversation the other night was totally inappropriate for both of us. And very specifically your behavior at the beginning, Mr. Tempest; my father would demand satisfaction from you, had he known you entered a room where I was obviously alone and forced your company and my notice.” – She knew it was a lie, but she said it anyway. Had there been cause to it, she was sure her father would do it, so it was not totally a lie.

L – “You are angry.”

S – “Yes, I think I am. What do you want from me? I can believe we were both bored the other night, but why insist in the same mistake?”

L – “You are accusing me. Yet this time you were the one to have the same behavior you just accused me of.”

Sara lost her voice. Completely chagrined, she was now determined to leave when he added:

L – “Please, Sara. I was bored to hell in that ballroom. I entered the library hoping to talk to you again. The only reason I just mentioned social conventions is because that was exactly what I was thinking about when you entered. I saw my parents falling apart from each other because of how women are suppose to behave. Can you believe all she ever did wrong was simply being smart?”

His eyes mentioning his mother were so sincere and sad, that Sara faltered. She knew she should not encore the same mistake twice, especially now that she was so fully aware of it.

L – “And I wanted to tell you. I studied your idea. From top to bottom, every possible implication, all the laws involved. And dear Miss Lois, you are a genius.”
She was hooked. She knew it. By experience she knew no one would enter the library, still this time she purposely sought the chair that saved her from view in case anyone opened the door by mistake.

S – “Ok, Mr. Tempest. You win.”

L – “You were bored too?”

S – “I was with a friend of my father, Baron Malcolm. I do enjoy his company, but there are so many fishing stories one can take.”

L – “He told you those?” – Asked Richard in surprise.

S – “Oh, don’t worry. He usually mumbles next to women. He has the advantage of knowing me since a baby.” – Answered Sara with a smile.

L – “But do you fish?”

S – “I’ve been known to catch a trout.” – She stated with a proud grin.

L – “What?” – Richard absolutely surprised tone made her finally laugh out loud.

The Count Davernood knew exactly where his daughter had gone to when he saw Baron Malcolm enter the smoking room. He looked around, no sign of Mr. Tempest Lavenport. So he was probably still at the library. Having caught his daughter studying his books on ships, he knew she would have more ideas and questions that would keep the young couple entertained.

He was starting to think how nice it would be to have the Marquis of Lavenport as his son in law. After the disappointment of losing two boys as babies, and after it was evident no more babies would come, he had long ago dotted on his only daughter. In fact, he had not raised her as a girl at all, which had made his wife give up on her. Not that she was very interested in the first place; it always pained him to admit.

Then his wife’s brother died with his wife at a tragic accident, and their only daughter came to live with them. Just one year older than Sara but already a lady, the difference between the nine year old and the ten year old was striking. While Sara would accompany him everywhere, helping and learning how to run the Estate, Catherine would stay with his wife and both would busily prepare her to eventually become the lady of a future husband’s estate. Catherine would do that very well, but only if she got a rich husband, who like most of them, thought women were simply to have legitimate children, to receive guests and otherwise not be noticed.

He had not yet given up hopes that Sara would get the better of the adolescence years. She had turned sixteen and he thought she was starting to lose that extra weight she had gained during the last three years. With all the stress the Countess had put on both girls with preparing them for their debut in society, even Sara had been away from her usual activities. He was sure she had eaten out of boredom.

Baron Malcolm approached him and sat on the next chair.

M – “Hello, Davernood. You know? Your daughter keeps getting lovelier.”

D – “Hello, Malcolm. Yes, I know.” – He smiled back at his friend.

Inside the library, Sara and Richard exchanged further ideas about how he could improve his import business if he took care of transport himself. Only his reserve kept him from letting her know exactly how big his business was. He could see that since he had not introduced himself with a title she probably thought he had none. He liked this; it was good talking to someone of equal intelligence and without restraints of class or gender, it always wore him off how he had to explain things to Gladstone in a step by step fashion.

Noticing him quieter, Sara stopped mid sentence. Then she remembered she had no idea what time it was and that her father might believe her to still be with the Baron.

S – “What time it is?”

L – “Late.” – He took his watch out and showed her.

Panic crept in. It was past one in the morning. The ballroom would be emptier and she might be noticed leaving the library. And sharper eyes would see a man leaving as well. Alone, all this time, with a man in a dark room; oh, she knew not even her being fat and ugly could save her from the gossip.
Richard noticed her tense.

L – “What is it?”

S – “I…“

At that moment, the door opened and Count Davenport and Baron Malcolm entered. From the door they could only see Lavenport. Count Davenport’s sharp eyes saw the end of a lace dress and he very well knew the color. Smiling at Richard he said:

D – “Ah, young Richard, nice to see you again. Hiding from the dances? Come with us, help us find the smoking room. We seem to have got lost.”

Stealing a glance at Sara, Richard finally understood what she was about to tell him. The gossip would kill her reputation if she was seen with him under such circumstances.

Deciding not to put her ever again at such unnecessary risk, he surreptitiously nodded to her and went to great the two men.

L – “Dear Count, did you drink too much to lose your way about like that?”

D – “I do think I may have.”

Davernood tried to be the last one to exit but he was pleased to see that Richard would not allow him to. In fact, the young man was making a point of totally blocking Davernood’s view of the room. Feeling more at ease with his decision of having allowed his daughter a second interview with the Marquis, he conceded and followed the Baron.

Lavenport stole one last look at Sara, allowed her to see that the ballroom was still with enough people that no one would notice her and closed the door.
Her heart slowly returned to normal.

She knew all the stories about women caught in compromising circumstances. Even really uglier girls than her could not be believed, they just became used goods in everyone’s view. Her father would believe her, but that would be little comfort. Actually she believed her father had purposely come to her rescue. Like her mother’s argument as to why that famous Marquis of Lavenport would have to marry, she fully knew she had to as well. As the only heir to the title of Davernood, since Catherine was not entitled to inherit, if she didn’t have a son, the title would die. Besides, she was a woman. It would be almost impossible to run the Estate all on her own. Not that a husband would allow her to continue to do what her father permitted, she sighed.

Closer to the door, Sara heard another dance beginning. And she took her chance and left the room.

She approached her mother and cousin. Viscount Samson was lingering on Catherine’s every word. Poor man, Sara chuckled, so in love.

Ds – “Ah, Sara. Here you are. I wish you would stop wandering about the room.”

C – “It’s because no one invites her to dance.” – Laughed Catherine.

Aiming to please Catherine and misunderstanding her meaning, Viscount Samson stepped forward and invited Sara to dance, who decided to take the chance to spend some more time apart from Catherine.

As they were heading to the dance floor, her father was approaching from another direction, with him also came Baron Malcolm, the Marquis of Lavenport and Viscount Gladstone.

Catherine looked at the Marquis and gave him her best smile. It took a curt nod from the Countess for her to wait for the men to approach and talk to them first.
It was to this larger group that Sara found herself returning. Well, she thought, at least this time we will be properly introduced and maybe I’ll be able to talk with Mr. Tempest without us having to be alone in dark libraries. Sara heard an expletive and turned round to face Viscount Samson. He had just cursed upon seeing Catherine smiling at Lavenport again. Thinking the young man’s reaction was just over jealousy she took no more notice. After all, it was not after any of these men that Catherine was after; she wanted the elusive Marquis of Lavenport.

Reaching her father’s side, she took his arm.

Viscount Samson placed himself besides Catherine, trying to convey to Lavenport to stay away, and he also glared at Viscount Gladstone appraisal looks on her.
While Gladstone was actually trying to engage the young woman’s attention, Lavenport was growing bored again. Glancing about him, he noticed to his surprise that Sara was stationed at the arm of Count Davernood. He stopped and stared. Then it finally hit him why he had thought she looked so familiar the first time he had seen her. Why, it was simply because he knew her and her family. Well, had known her, it was more than six years since he had last seen her, the feisty eigth year old who tried to knock him of his horse for saying she had a dirty doll. Sara Lois, yes, Lois, why hadn’t he remembered it before, Lois was the Countess Davernood family name. No wonder Sara was so good at business, if she was learning from Count Davernood himself, she had to be good.

Then he almost laughed. He had introduced himself without his title and she had too. I guess I can’t be angry at her for that deception. I did the exact same thing.
Sara heard him laughing but was busy listening to the Baron and her mother. Her father however had been closely watching the two. He saw that Sara had approached with ease, unconcerned that the same man she had just spent at least an hour lost in conversation was in their group. And then he turned his attention to Richard. He had not seen her yet. The Count continued watching him.

Seeing that Richard laughed when understanding who the woman he had talked to twice in dark libraries was, he decided it was time to formally introduce them.
The second Sara heard her secret acquaintance being introduced to her as Richard Tempest Lavenport, Marquis of Lavenport; she glared at her father, not believing his words. Her father smiled at her and whispered in her ear:

D – “You also presented yourself to him as simply Sara Lois. So when I heard you refer to him as Richard Tempest, I thought it was a well deserved lesson for both.”

Ashamed and self-conscious, Sara had no idea how to face the Marquis.

D – “I’m sorry, Marquis. I apologize for Sara’s confusion. It’s just that the last time you two saw each other my daughter had an accident with your horse. She hopes you have forgiven her for it.”

Lavenport looked at Davernood with some surprise and something about the tone of the man made him think he knew exactly what he and his daughter had done.

L – “Miss Sara Davernood. Nice to meet you again, I assure you I have long forgiven you for trying to knock me off my horse.”

Sara had not understood her father’s reference to a horse, but hearing Richard, she finally remembered meeting the son of an old Marquis, that was five years older than her, and that she had tried punishing for saying her doll was dirty. Actually she remembered he darn near had fallen from the horse.

L – “So, Miss Lois.”

S – “Mr. Tempest.”

L – “You inherited your father’s genius for business.”

S – “You are as sneaky as your father. Do you know he used to cheat when playing cards with me?”

L – “Ah, that was Johnson who taught him to do that. You see, our butler is a bad influence.”

S – “The one who would pretend to be deaf to avoid chores?”

L – “He what? Oh, dear. He did that?”

Sara was smiling openly. It was much better to be able to talk without having to worry about reputations. Besides her father, she usually only had the Baron’s occasional visits and her mother and cousin to talk to. Due to the way her father had educated her she normally found women insipid and she knew better than to try to talk to most men. She found Richard a breath of fresh air.

Catherine grew tired of Gladstone and Samson. She had their attentions so easily. She once more looked for the Marquis. He was talking with Sara. With Sara? She laughed. Well, there was no danger in that. She approached the two aiming to save the Marquis from Sara and was surprised to find that they were having the exact same kind of conversation Sara usually has with her father. Oh, dear Lord. Catherine was used to not interrupt her uncle when he was talking about business with Sara. Did the same rule apply here?

4 – The first proposal
It was two months since his return to London. The preparations for his shipping company were under way. He had been glad to find that Gladstone was actually good dealing with the sea men. Richard believed that one more trip to India would leave him free for a while. He had not yet decided if he wished to return to England or remain in India.

Something about what Davernood had said made him think. He was supposed to marry. Sara was supposed to marry. Why not with each other? At least he already knew they were good friends. That was a million times a better start than the one he had had with his first wife. He wasn’t interested in another pretty empty head. Almost all of the marriages he saw around him were devoid of anything besides conventions. Even his father had had a better marriage than most, when the old man wasn’t worried about his pride it was obvious he loved his wife. Love. Ah, that one. Richard thought that from the top of his twenty two years old, that he could safely say that was something few people ever encountered. And Sara was probably too sensible to want that, even being so young. The more he thought of it, the more it seemed like a perfect idea.

It had reached the turn for the Count of Davernood to host a party at his house. He knew it was an implied social obligation since his house was a large one and it was a tradition still tracking back to his parents. But it was ten years since his mother had died and if not for his wife, he would have stopped receiving the entire town inside his house. It was such a hassle. Hosting a party that big involved too much food, too much cleaning, and too many costs and too many hours welcoming people who after never seem to want to leave.

His only comfort was the good mood his wife sported preparing the party and how pleased she usually was after. This year she was even more thrilled about it.
The Count, however, was beginning to be bothered with the impression that his wife needed to choose a suitor for Catherine and stop delaying it in hopes of the best catch. The Marquis of Lavenport had already made it quite clear he was not interested and would not be swayed, except that his wife refused to accept it and worse, Catherine seemed oblivious to all. The last two years had made her very conscious of her beauty and the attention it gave her. Catherine just appeared to assume that all the men were in love with her. The fact was many were infatuated by her looks and charms but of all her admirers, only half had proposed. And the Count knew some had proposed to more than one lady, which not being a usual practice, gave him even more unease about the veracity of Catherine’s admirers.

He remembered arguing with his wife that there was no point waiting another year. There had been three perfectly appropriate suitors highly interested last year, with the benefit that they just wanted the most beautiful wife with an acceptable fortune. Two of those, on being asked to wait another year, had simply chosen elsewhere. Only Viscount Samson remained faithfully interested. The Count secretly thought Samson was a bit of a fool; after all, the viscount was the same age as Catherine and adding to that lack of experience, he was not very smart and was extremely gullible. One just had to see how he would blindly obey to Catherine’s every wish, which would sometimes please his niece but more often than not would annoy her.

It was easy to understand why Catherine was attracted to Richard Lavenport. He was handsome and rich but also older and more mature than the other. Davernood believed Catherine would fare better with a firm hand, and otherwise be left to her dresses and jewels and house decor. In that regard, she was much like her aunt and how her mother had been. Unfortunately, that was the exact kind of wife Lavenport wanted nothing with.

The Count was sure it would be a problem to make Catherine realize she was not going to become a marquess. As for Sara, the Count believed she saw Lavenport as an equal, as a friend, as someone with whom she could talk to. But she clearly was not romantically interested in the Marquis or in marriage at all. With all the uproar about Catherine’s suitors, Sara was happily lingering in the shadows.

Lavenport, after the initial novelty of finding someone to talk to, besides old men and young fools, had not searched Sara’s company as often as the Count had hoped he would. True, he would cherish the opportunity whenever it arose, but the conversations had grown shorter and very specific. It was actually a simple business interview. Not deciding if he felt prouder that Lavenport thought so highly of his daughter’s intelligence or offended that he didn’t see her as a possible wife, Davernood decided to give up on his high hopes of seeing Sara as the Marquess of Lavenport.

The party was a success.

Catherine was upset, she had made herself available so that the Marquis could ask her to dance and the maddening man would not take on the opportunity. There was a suspicion entering her mind, was he really not attracted to her? Impossible. Just look at all the men I have to talk to, dance with, they keep requesting my attention. There are other young ladies here, but the men all flock to my side. Looking for her aunt, she made her concerns know:

C – “Aunt, the Marquis has not danced with me even once.”

Ds – “Yes, my dear. I noticed. Your uncle keeps saying he doesn’t want to marry yet and I am beginning to agree. He has not shown any interest in any lady. I guess we have to find you another more agreeable man.”

C – “But I don’t want another. We waited a full year for him to arrive from India.”

Ds – “My dear Catherine. I wasn’t waiting specifically for Lord Lavenport. Viscount Gladstone and Baron James are also very eligible. If we add Viscount Samson, Count Thomson and Count Elgraves you have much better choice of suitors than last year and definitely than any other young lady here.”

C – “I cannot stand any of those. And they have small fortunes and lesser titles.”

Ds – “Catherine, you are being petulant and stubborn. There is no point in chasing a man not interested and antagonizing the ones that are. Just think how Baron James or Viscount Samson would be more than happy to provide you with all the allowance money you might want, or how Viscount Gladstone’s fortune is growing larger every year.”

C – “I have not given up yet, Aunt.”

Ds – “I think you should, my dear.”

Approaching Davernood, the Marquis pulled him to the side and asked:

L – “Mr. Davernood, could I speak with you in private?”

D – “Mr. Lavenport, yes, off course. Follow me into my study.”

After the two men entered, the noise from the part subside down, this was indeed a room built for quiet. Lavenport looked around the familiar room, this one had a more comfortable and friendlier look that his own father’s study. He moved to the tall windows and looking into the early darkness outside for a second he missed his office in India, there was always so much light. Davernood waited, the young man seemed to be in a strange mood. He remained at the windows for a few moments more and then, seeming to collect himself he sat opposite the Count’s chair.

L – “I have been thinking a lot these last few days and I am now sure of my decision. As you are aware, I married young and after only a two year marriage, found myself a widow last year. Still, I believe it gave me enough experience to be sure of what I should look for in my future wife. I am not interested in the same things I was my first time. Back then, I simply chose the most beautiful girl with an adequate fortune. I think I didn’t even talk with her about more things than just the weather and how lovely she looked.

When we were married and she discovered herself heading to India, she had no idea how to react, how to act and neither did I. We had nothing in common, nothing we could talk about. She was hoping for a country estate and a town house, parties, teas and new dresses, I forced her into a six month travel by sea, a new country, no one to keep her company and to being alone in a strange house for entire weeks. I see it clearly now, I am ashamed to say I didn’t then. It was only after her death of a violent fever that I finally reflected and understood why she was always so sad. In fact, at some point she grew to be resentful of me.
I still have to return to India to secure my investments. I can’t become betrothed to just any lady and incur in the same mistakes.”

D – “I understand, but why are you telling me all of this?”

L – “I am a more open minded man today than I was then, more experienced, more sure of what I want. So, I know what I can offer and to whom I can offer it to.”

D – “You are still going about in circles. Is it because of Catherine? I assure you I have already alerted my wife that you are not the right choice for her.”

L – “I’m sorry, Mr. Davernood. I will be more to the point. I just wanted for you to understand that this is an informed decision on my part, to which I hope you will answer favorably. I wish to ask you for your daughter’s hand in marriage.”

The Count stood silent for a while. Just now that he had given up any hope, his wish had become true. The problem being all of the Marquis talk about his first marriage had actually troubled him. He was no longer sure if he would be a good choice for his daughter. Looking to buy time, he asked:

D – “That is a surprise, Lord Lavenport. I did not expect such an end to such a beginning. But are you in such good terms with my daughter?”

L – “I have not proposed to her yet, if that is your question, my Lord.”

D – “You have not?”

He sighed. That made it even more difficult. He felt that his daughter’s happiness was in his hands. This was much more difficult than any decision on Catherine for example, he was sure Catherine would always feel empty, yet he didn’t doubt her strength. But Sara? Sara was still very innocent in some ways and she could be hurt too easily. She would love to travel but was she prepared to marry? He doubted.

D – “Sir, how can you ask me to say yes, without knowing my daughter’s wishes?”

L – “You are a very different man in your treatment of your daughter.”

D – “You just said yourself the faults of entering a marriage uniformed. I decided long ago that my daughter would not marry just because I said so. My father did that to my sister, she married someone she had seen only twice at a party. She would write to me and complain of feeling lonely. The reason Catherine is an only child is because my late brother in law was always travelling and had no patience for a wife. She only died because she decided one day to accompany him on one of those voyages. And I remember I was still obliged to be happy because my own father’s treatment of my mother was actually much worse. As for myself, I may not have the best of marriages but my own wife knew me enough when we married and I was sure that the yes she gave me at the altar was also her own decision and not just her father’s.”

L – “Mr. Davernood. I think I got side-tracked in my explanation. The reason I ask you for Sara’s hand or better, for your consent, is because I believe she is smart enough to make an educated decision. She is young but very intelligent and of a strong mind. I think she would enjoy travelling to India to help oversee my business there or even remaining to run the estate; I have seen enough evidence of her intellect to know that. I even believe I would be the more beneficiated. I intend to allow her much more freedom than any other man would ever consider.”

D – “Lord Lavenport, let me ask you something. This might strike you as an odd question. Do you find my daughter attractive?”

L – “What?”

D – “Yes, attractive, do you find my daughter attractive?”

L – “I… well… she is pleasing.”

D – “Then no, the answer is no.”

L – “Mr. Davernood, what…”

D – “Calm down, Lavenport. I have not yet given you my final answer. But it is never good in any hopes of a successful marriage if there is no attraction. You are not purposing a business association, you are purposing a marriage, from which everyone, include myself, expects children. You can’t have children without attraction. Well, you can, but it will not be so pleasant.”

L – “Mr. Davernood, please, that is hardly something to discuss.”

D – “No, I think it is the very thing left to discuss. You respect her intelligence but you have no use for her as a wife, it is simply that there is no other way society will allow you to have her as a business associate.”

L – “I know I have to have children. My father keeps asking me what I am waiting for. All my friends from my childhood are now married and happy with sons of their own, even if not with the wives. And, yes, I want my own children.”

D – “Can you see yourself having children with my Sara?”

L – “I have to marry, she does too. We might as well marry someone we respect and with whom twenty years from now we can still talk to. I don’t intend to have children soon, so I… Ah.”

D – “You hadn’t really thought about the part of going about having children?” – Davernood smiled.

Lavenport swore under his breath. This was making him uncomfortable; he never in his life would have expected to speak to his possible father in law about fathering children with the man’s daughter. He honestly had not thought about that part of making children. And that was also hard to admit. Although Lavenport found Sara rather pretty and well proportionate, he didn’t felt physically attracted to her. However, he had felt that for his first wife, and to be true to himself, he found Catherine rather pleasing to look at. But had his determination to not marry on attractiveness made him choose someone he didn’t found attractive?

Count Davernood knew he had touched a nerve. He rather wanted Richard Lavenport for his son in law, but not if he didn’t truly value his daughter. He had hoped she had made an impression with those two early talks in libraries, even if he decided not to risk a third, and had been pleased with his easiness around her even at parties with everyone looking at who the Marquis was talking with. However, finding that the Marquis didn’t see past her physique was disappointing, he expect better of the young man. And about that respect that Lavenport had talked of, Davernood kind of thought one can’t fully respect a woman when one thinks of her as ugly, specially a wife. There is always the temptation to look elsewhere for what is missing or to start to value less what you have for what you don’t have, especially if there was a choice.

The silence grew to a point where both men faced each other.

D – “Listen, Lavenport. Let’s try this. We are at a party. Dance with my daughter and several other ladies. Try that at another party, or at the park or some other gathering. Really try to see if there is some lady that catches your attention. The truth is I’d rather have you chose my daughter for more than just her brains, not that I am talking about love, but one needs to appreciate more than one thing in a future wife.”

L – “So, it is a no?”

D – “It’s a maybe. You haven’t convinced me to say yes. I lost my sons as little boys and found myself with only a daughter. Maybe it was wrong of me but besides the normal education her mother gave her, I educated her in such a way and allowed her freedoms that everyone would only consider appropriate for a boy. This gave me a closer relationship with Sara, because I also made her unique, and I can’t use for her the same criteria I use for Catherine.”

L – “I would, I will never…”

D – “You value her intellect, I know. But you should also value her as a person, as a woman. Your friend Gladstone is only your associate in some specific areas of business because he is rather unnecessary in others. You have an idea of him as someone to patronize. I don’t want any man to patronize my daughter in any aspect; I don’t care if everyone says she’s not that pretty, or that she’s shy or even that she’s as stupid as a door.”

L – “Mr. Davernood, I think you are judging me too severely.”

D – “Maybe I am. But for the moment, let us return to the party.”

Both men left unsatisfied and upset.

Davernood had hoped Richard liked his daughter and it seemed he only wanted her business ideas. He was resentful and almost sure the young man would neglect Sara as a wife and as a person. And grandchildren? Out of duty? His parent’s marriage had been a nightmare to see as a child. His mother never made a secret that she only had had children with her husband because it was her duty, and one that she could not avoid. They had both been forced to marry each other. His father, however, had the freedom to meet other women and he heard the stories about the mistresses he kept. It seemed to the Count that Lavenport might not be above such behavior.

Lavenport was aggravated; he resented the accusation that he only wanted a business partner. As he approached the ballroom he saw Catherine and Sara standing together. His eyes went immediately to Catherine, she was really beautiful. It was hard not to steal some looks at her. Then he sighed, realizing what he was doing and forced himself to look at Sara. If he was to judge it honestly, it was the extra weight that made her less attractive, but nonetheless she went unnoticed, especially next to someone like her cousin. Do I really only value her business ideas? We talked about much more than just that. I enjoy being with her. I don’t take the time to admire her physique, does that mean I respect or value her less? And what about Catherine, is it possible I’m judging her too severely based on my mistakes?

Allowing himself an indulgence, Lavenport went to meet the two ladies and asked Catherine to dance. He was pleased at her smile and at how happy she seemed and didn’t remember to notice what Sara’s reaction was. The Count, however, looking from a distance noticed that little detail.

Sara had seen him approach and rather expected for them to talk a little. When he asked Catherine to dance and didn’t even glance in her direction she was happy for her cousin, even if she still didn’t think the two suited each other. But even smart men were known to make stupid decisions, she laughed to herself. As Baron Malcolm returned with her drink she thought of Lavenport no more.

Catherine was very proud of herself. She had succeeded after all. Lavenport looked at her, taking in the opportunity to study her face so close. Not knowing how to begin to talk with her and hating himself for it, he started with the most obvious:

L – “Miss Forsythe, you look beautiful.”

C – “Thank you, Marquis. It is a great compliment coming from someone like you. You must have seen many beautiful women in your travels.”

L – “There are beautiful women in India.”

Taking advantage of this opening, Lavenport decided to add:

L – “I plan to return to India before Fall and maybe remain until next Spring. I am not yet sure if even then, my return to England will be final.”

He saw the disappointment in her eyes. Oh, how he wished he had said those words years ago before he had married. Then he would have known not to marry. Catherine was not the right person. Aiming to be sure, he tried another angle:

L – “You think that is too long to be away from my Estate?”

C – “India is a savage country, isn’t it? You already made your fortune there. Wouldn’t you be better at your Estate?”

L – “My father keeps it well managed.”

C – “Oh, but it must be in need of a woman’s touch. You and your future wife surely could add to its grandeur. The Lavenport Estate is famous. And everyone always says it’s a pity that your father stopped receiving guests.”

L – “He is an old man, he is entitled his rest. I am also not a man for parties as you may have noticed.”

C – “That is a pity, Lord Lavenport.”

L – “What do you like best at parties?”

C – “Oh, just seeing everyone and dancing.”

He saw something was missing in that answer.

L – “I expected a beautiful lady like you preferred the admiration of all the young men and the dresses and jewels it gives the opportunity to dress.”

She sensed a trap, her aunt had always been very serious about not showing pride in one’s conquests and at not hinting that one might be calculating how much an allowance this or that man can provide.

C – “My dear Lord, every woman loves that. What woman would not enjoy being admired or wearing a new dress? I suspect you enjoy your new coats as well.”

L – “Touché. I do indeed.”

Lavenport smiled and relaxed a bit. She gave him an even bigger smile. Lost in her smile he forgot to ask her more things. It was only as he was returning to her group and saw Count Davernood that Lavenport realized he was being too easily seduced by Catherine’s beauty as soon as he had given her a chance.

While the Marquis was still a few feet away, Count Davernood leaned towards Sara and told in her ear:

D – “If the Marquis invites you to dance, could you please refuse to talk to him about his business?”

S – “Refuse? Why?”

D – “Please. It’s more of an order than a request. I wish you to not talk with that man about how to improve his businesses any more. If he wishes to do that, he can make an appointment with us in my office. But you can talk with him about anything else.” – He finished as Catherine and Lavenport approached.

Viscount Samson and even Viscount Gladstone looked annoyed at seeing Catherine happily linger at the Marquis side. Samson decided to attack:

VS – “Ah, Marquis Lavenport. I heard you had returned to India.”

L – “Really? At least let me rest some time before enduring so soon several months at sea.”

VS – “Oh, then that means you will return to India?”

L – “Yes, I will.”

VS – “Do you intend to live there?”

L – “It’s a possibility.”

VS – “Then you will choose a wife from the families living in India, I expect. It would be unfair for any of our young ladies to be sent travelling in a boat across half the world to an uncivilized place and in scorching heat, when she might be hoping an Estate and the social life of London.”

Catherine’s face went white. Both Samson and Lavenport looked at her and she turned her eyes away. It was hard to concede defeat after sensing victory so near. She searched her mind for any ideas, maybe she could convince him to remain in England and have Gladstone do the travelling instead. She knew she had no intention of ever leaving England, unless maybe to travel Europe in her honeymoon.

Trying to divert from Samson’s obvious jealousy, Lavenport sought Sara and asked her to dance. She agreed while stealing a look at her father’s face and saw in his face that his prohibition remained. It was a pity, she thought, now that she had already come up with a way to save time which meant saving money. Ah, if only she could be allowed to run her own company.