chap 4

Classic het

 

 

Pairing: het
Genre: inspired by romantic historic novel

Note: I was planning on skipping this part but since you seem to be curious about Catherine, I won't skipp it. ;)


Part 1Part 2Part 3

Viscount Gladstone approached and asked Catherine to dance. He was keen on talking but she was not listening. The dance required several turns and after turning for so long she found herself, for the first time in her life, feeling nauseated. Noticing that Catherine was turning paler, Gladstone took matters into his hands and didn’t wait for her to faint. He slowly, without her noticing, conducted the dance nearer to the huge doors to the garden. Before she knew what happened she was outside.
With her head going round and round and unable to talk, Catherine allowed thankfully to be helped to a bench in a farther corner of the garden, secluded by low trees. Gladstone waited by her side. As the color slowly returned to her face, he asked her:

G – “Are you feeling better? Do you need something to drink? Maybe something to eat?”

C – “No, thank you. I am starting to feel better. It was all that dancing to this stupid waltz. It looks great, but it’s bad on the head.”

G – “Yes, it can have side effects. But I must say you dance it beautifully.”

C – “Thank you. And thank you for noticing I wasn’t feeling well.”

G – “My pleasure to be of assistance.”

As she sat, clearly not ready to return to the ballroom, Gladstone decided this was his best opportunity ever.

G – “Lady Catherine, I hope you will pardon me for my boldness, but I would like to ask you something very important and to which I would kindly request that you answer truthfully.”

Still feeling her head dizzy, Catherine just looked at him and waited.

G – “I wish to know if I should continue to entreat hopes of securing your hand.”

fell open and her eyes widened. Bold, he said?

G – “Let me be frank. I am in want of a wife. I have a minor title and little land which I know is not endearing to young ladies and their families. Still, I now possess a reasonable fortune due to business and I have every reason to believe it will increase over the years. Therefore, I have no qualms to present myself as an eligible choice.
I admire your beauty and the spirit you sometimes allow a glimpse of.
But truthfully I am not in the mood to chase a young lady all summer to later be turned down. So, if you do not consider me a possible choice, I wish for you to be candid with me. Anyway, it can’t do any good to have too many suitors around you or else a more desirable suitor may not approach for fear of you already being taken.”

Catherine sighed. Bold indeed he was. None of the other boys would dare to be so blunt and ask her if they had any chances. She looked at the Viscount with some attention for the first time. He was good looking, tall, well built and dressed well, in fact, one could say he was a proud man, it was noticeable in the way he carried himself. Many of the ladies had looked at him with interest to later decide against due to the minor title and the rundown family estate. With regards to his partnership with Lavenport in India, little was known. Could he be a good bet?

C – “You present yourself very well indeed for someone that most people only recognize as the owner of a rundown estate.”

G – “My father did that, not me. And his father before him. Apparently I’m the first one in the family with any amount of brains. Yes, the estate is ruined and abandoned since I went to India. But my intentions are to remain in England and buy a proper estate, more suitable to my needs. I only kept that old property because the title comes with it.
All of these descendents of rich families always count that the money never goes away. I have learned that it does, you need to work to keep having money, preferably more.”

C – “The idea is that the money in India is all Lavenport’s.”

G – “Half of his business import is mine. That is not a secret. Perhaps being his friend and business partner makes me invisible. Yes, I can never compete with his title, his estate and wealth and even his eye for business. But do not take me for a simpleton. If that is how you see me, kindly let me know and I will no longer bother you with my attentions.”

C – “Please, do not be offended. The fact is that you are not considered highly on the list of bachelors. For the reasons you stated yourself.”

Gladstone looked displeased at her admission. Catherine smiled and added:

C – “Dear Mr. Gladstone, do not look at me that way. As a woman I have to be even more careful in my choice of future husband. Men have the advantage of being allowed to enter a business if land doesn’t provide for them anymore. However, the only thing between a woman and destitution is her husband. Society would rather let me starve than allow me to take on a job. I am a lady with a title to pass on to a future son and some land of my own, a property about the size of yours; although in better condition for my uncle did much to improve it. Yet, with my own land and income, I will not be allowed into society if I continue unmarried.

Only some few lucky widows are capable to attain such status.

Now look at your case. Your problem is that people are not aware of this good fortune you say you possess. You have a property in disrepair almost by choice. You are partner to the most sought after man, he’s the one with whom everyone wants to be in business with, and you already are.

You know something, Mr. Gladstone? I grant you that. You must indeed be a suitor to consider.”

G – “I see your point. I know the difference between the genders is unkind to women. But I see by your words that your opinion of me improved, just not enough. Maybe I can provide a comfortable home but not enough dresses and enjoyment of a social life.”

C – “You mistake me for my aunt.”

Catherine was obviously displeased by something he had said, she made a motion as about to rise, and that prompted Gladstone to try and appease her.

G – “Wait. I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just that I find it difficult to be considered so below my own personal value. You must comprehend that. You yourself know that you are seen only for your beauty and, fortunately for you, your land and right to a title. Without that, your chances of attracting suitors would be very low, as mine are, because I’m considered poor or just because wealth in business is not well looked at if there’s no land.”

Gladstone absently sat next to her on the bench.

G – “It is all so stupid. I see Viscount Samson and Baron having ladies flock around them; have you any idea how stupid those two are?”

Catherine couldn’t help but laugh as he looked at her with such bewilderment.

C – “Well, yes, they are rather naïve and immature.”

G – “Rather? You are too kind on them.”

They were still secluded by the low trees in a corner of the garden, close enough to hear the music playing. Catherine saw a glimpse of her aunt in one the windows, she was accompanied by Baron James. Oh, yes, he would make a good provider for he had a large fortune, but he was so bland and boring. And Viscount Samson was, well, really stupid, he behaved like a little spoiled kid. Her aunt would have a heart attack if she dreamed she was here sitting next to a known suitor. Now that her head was back to normal she was more than aware of the risks. But there was something about being here that made her heart race. She could sense his perfume; she hadn’t noticed it before, not even dancing with him. The shades from the distant lamp made his profile more dramatic. And he wasn’t flirting with her, he was just talking. She wanted to prolong this feeling.

C – “What did your father and grandfather do?”

G – “You mean how they did away with the family fortune? Simple, they took it for granted, believed it would last forever, as if money grew on trees. My grandmother lavished the mansion with all the best while my grandfather hunted and fished and entertained friends. My father grew up knowing he, as the older son, was the heir to the title and the estate. I have two uncles in the clergy and one in the military, they had to look for a profession and I never had contact with them. There’s an aunt, she married the richest neighbor, but as soon as my father started to lose the appearances of richness, they cut us off.

My father added to all the stupidity of former overspending by not even overseeing the property, at least my grandfather did that. My mother took to drinking while my father was a gambler. We were robbed under our noses by the tenants and servants. The only reason my father didn’t gamble everything away was because he got sick. But by then the land was rendered almost worthless as slowly most of the tenants had left and no one had done any maintenance. The servants that stayed at the mansion’s service did so only to rob some of the few valuables that still existed.

Most of this I was unaware of since all my education was away at my tutor’s house and at University. I rarely visited my parents. It had been two years since I had last been to the estate when my father died and I finally realized I was actually poor. The money my mother had brought as dowry had been set aside for my education and I did have a very good one but that was it, it was just enough to finish my last year’s study.

My mother went to live with her sister that was also a widower. Interestingly, she stopped drinking after my father died.

I sent the last tenants and servants away, closed the mansion and sold what was left inside of it that could be considered valuable like tapestries and paintings. Some furniture is still there, probably rotting away. I admit I have no fond memories of the place, so I don’t really care that it is abandoned.

The money I was able to gather, I used it to travel to India and set up my own business there. Although we travelled together and were neighbors, it was only after… after Richard’s wife died that we became partners.

Our idea is he oversees things in India and I do it from England. I liked India but I missed England too much to leave it again.

I don’t want to build my fortune in land. Land needs attention I don’t know how to give. I only want an estate to show off a mansion.”

C – “It gives status to own one’s one estate with a large mansion, and the bigger the number of tenants, the richer you are considered. But if you have no inclination to run an estate, you should just settle with a huge town house, like the Robinson’s. They sold their estate to move into town; however, since they used to own an estate, they still retain that respectability and now he works in politics so they have no want for money.

It always puzzles me how much time my uncle and Sara spend running both estates. I know I will never learn to do so, and I have no inclination for it. But even Sara is surprised at how good I can run the mansion; she never mastered that or my aunt.”

G – “But isn’t that what ladies are trained to do?”

C – “Some are, others leave it to the housekeeper and butler. My mother did out of necessity. My father travelled and travelled. The money he left as house allowance was never enough and he also didn’t oversaw the estate. On that aspect we were lucky to have a good caretaker. The house isn’t a large one, and part of it was closed off when I was a little girl and it has never been recovered. My mother spent too much time alone and always pinching every shilling. She was a master at reusing things. Unfortunately one time she decided she would not stay home and be worried over every penny, she would go and travel with my dad, since he seemed to be always well kept. They both died at a carriage accident.

That’s when I came to live with my uncle. He had visited with my mother, and was aware of everything, having being the one my mother would be forced to ask to for help. I was only ten. I found myself in a house properly kept, where there was no want for anything.

The housekeeper, Mrs. Smith, is an old woman that practically raised my uncle and as my aunt had no liking to it, she continued to run the mansion. She noticed I knew how to do it too and allowed me to take over, without my aunt or uncle noticing. Only Sara knows I’m the one who runs the mansion.”

Gladstone heard her in fascination. This was a very different Catherine. She smiled as she shared the big secret:

C – “My aunt and uncle collect the benefit and reputation but it’s me and Sara who have the work. She’s very smart and if she were a man, she surely would be as sought after as Lavenport, my uncle always consults with her before accepting business proposals. And I use only forty percent of the amount Mrs. Smith used to need to run the mansion, yet no one ever noticed anything missing. The amount left is kept on the bank where someday the interests may be sufficient to cover the costs.”

G – “But how? Just to feed everyone was such an incredible amount.”

C – “Did you ever notice the waste? I was so shocked at some of the practices at my uncle’s house. For example, the dresses everyone praises me about. My aunt ordered the seamstress a full wardrobe. I went behind and instead of the agreed fifty dresses for the three of us I was able to get seventy, some of which were simply a transformation of older dresses. Just add some new lace or a ribbon, change the sleeves, and mix the blouse with a different skirt. Usually my aunt doesn’t even notice she’s not really wearing a new dress.”

G – “Can that be done to men’s clothes?”

C – “Ah, I see what you want to know. Sometimes it’s possible to do that to some of my uncle’s clothes, but not usually since he wears them much more. I am always surprised at how many dresses Sara ruins just by ridding around.”

G – “You seem to enjoy that.”

C – “I do. If I use only what I need and save the rest, I will never again be in need.”

G – “Yes, I see what you mean. I was destined to be an idle heir with no care in the world and yet I had to choose a profession or I would not eat. I still had money but it would soon be over and it would never be enough to recover my father’s property or my pride.”

C – “I have a profitable property with loyal servants that my uncle was able to provide me with over the years. The part of the house that was lived in was properly recovered and the rest demolished for it was beyond recovery. For what I really use and need, I could move there tomorrow and have enough income. But I want more.”

A couple descended the stairs laughing loudly. That recalled Gladstone they were away for some time now. The sounds of a new dance could be heard through the open windows. Unhappy about it he knew they better return to the party. With a sigh, he got up, held his hand and asked:

G – “Will you give the honor of this dance?”

Catherine looked in the direction of the couple moving away in direction of a group further down the garden and she wondered how long they were there. With some regret about having to leave, she gave him her hand and they went up the stairs and entered the ballroom already dancing, just the same way they had exited.

G – “You know, I think I like your suggestion of a large town house instead of an estate.”

C – “Will you ever try and recover your estate?”

G – “I don’t know. I haven’t even been there in some years. Maybe the house is down by now.”

C – “If it is, just build a new one. At my estate, the recovered house, although smaller, is much better than the entire house had ever been. “

When the dance ended, they went in search for their friends.

Catherine saw waiting for her Baron James and Viscount Samson. The pleasure she had earlier at her suitor’s attention was nowhere to be seen. At this moment she was too aware she only cared for suitors because society would shun her if she didn’t marry. That was a stupid reason to marry. It’s true she wanted a bigger income but the one she had already was enough to live hundred times better than she had as a child. And there was always the fear if she made a bad choice, what if she married someone like her father or Viscount Gladstone’s father? Her uncle was attentive to that, but one could never be sure. It angered her to feel forced to marry. And there was no one she even liked. As she let go of Viscount Gladstone’s arm to accept Baron James request for a dance she sighed and couldn’t even pretend a smile. She had enjoyed talking with Gladstone, but he wasn’t rich, well, at least according to him, he wasn’t rich yet.

Gladstone saw her leave in the arm of Baron James with some regret. The young fool would just marry her, put her in his mansion to look pretty and never look at her again. Next to him Viscount Samson looked very angry; it reminded him of the little boys he saw in the park to whom the nannies were forced to say no. He wondered if he would behave like them as well and forget about an obsession with a new toy as soon as they finally got it.

He knew very well he only had gave more attention to Catherine over all the other girls because she was the prettiest, but what had kept his interest was when she forgot to play the flirty girl and he saw hints of more. Now he knew there really was more. She was a lot like him, driven by passion, ambition and pride. And that was what separated them; she didn’t really consider him as a possible choice, while he thought she was the best choice possible for him. He felt divided. Should I give up or convince her I can be what she searches for?

Richard found his friend lost in thoughts.

L – “Hey, are you sleeping with your eyes open?”

G – “I was trying to, before you showed up. Aren’t you dancing?”

L – “Just did. The young shy thing never lifted her eyes up at me and her mother looked as if she was mentally ordering the bridal…”

G – “Oh, stop complaining. All those invitations I received when we got back were only because they knew I’m your partner. Or else, with an abandoned estate they would not accept me into any of their homes. Catherine Forsythe and Jane Daniels collect suitors; that is why they welcomed my attentions. All the others plainly avoided me. The men, they just tolerate me. All of them think you have me as partner out of charity.”

L – “Surely not…”

G – “Richard, be honest or you are the one who needs to open your eyes. For example, Davernood, what does he think of me?”

L – “Well, he… Oh, damn.”

Richard felt embarrassed. What is friend said was in agreement with some things he had watched or heard. He owed him so much, how could he make it up to him?

G – “Oh, never mind. After I establish myself, they will soon be forced to acknowledge me. I kind of think they will be doing the chasing. And perhaps a less spoiled woman will make a better wife instead of these ladies educated to chase a title. And not spend me of my money as you fear so much.”

L – “I’m sorry, my friend. Don’t let them make you doubt your value. I would have been lost without you too many times. And with your own talent for business you may soon be a lot richer than me. Lord knows you already were."

Sara overheard that last part as she passed them by with her father. She bit her tongue but asked her father anyway:

S – “Gladstone richer than Lavenport? How can that be?”

D – “Aren’t you a curious one? I talked with Lavenport about his time in India. For what I can tell, Gladstone helped him a lot. Lavenport is the one everyone knows is good at business and they pardon him for that because he has a grand title and a valuable estate. However, Mr. Gladstone has the need to succeed, whereas Lavenport does it not be idle. Both being smart, that means the son of a gambler that lost everything may be the one to become the richest.”

The last part was said in the presence of Catherine. Having finished her dance, she had excused herself and not returned to her aunt’s side for she was not in the mood to dance with Viscount Samson. Seeing her uncle she went to him and realized he was talking with Sara about Lavenport and Gladstone.

D – “Catherine, aren’t you dancing?”

C – “Even my feet need rest, uncle.”

S – “Look, Viscount Samson seems to be looking for you.”

C – “Oh, Lord. Hide me.”

S – “Catherine, what is it?”

D – “Did he upset you?”

Catherine recognized her uncle’s tone of voice.

C – “No, uncle. I just don’t want to dance with him. He demands too much attention, it’s exhausting.”

S – “It’s ok, he has just entered into the smoke room.”

The three relaxed and Sara, noticing the Marquis and his friend entering the smoke room, continued to ask her father about Gladstone:

S – “You mean Gladstone’s father ruined his entire fortune?”

D – “Still curious?”

S – “It was odd hearing such a proud self assured man like Lavenport thanking Gladstone.”

D – “First, you should not be listening.”

S – “We were just passing by, it wasn’t my fault.”

D – “Old Gladstone was a gambler. As the older son he never bothered about anything, like many of these young men. His father had overspent and he incurred in game debts. After his death, it was the talk of the town how the son had returned home to sell anything of value to pay off creditors and be able to finish university. The idea of going to India apparently was his and Lavenport decided to accompany him. They both did well except Lavenport had some mishaps. But like I said, Gladstone has the need to succeed and that is why you heard Lavenport praising him that he would soon be the richest.”

S – “He doesn’t strike me as smart.”

D – “Nor to me. But I have had a talk with him and I was forced to recognize he was tricking me. All that playing around is a disguise. It is amazing seeing him play cards, he wins every time.”

Catherine was startled by that last remark.

C – “He plays? But his father was a gambler. He’s one too?”

D – “Ah, Catherine. I’m sorry; I forgot you were being forced to hear our stories. No, don’t worry. He is a smart man. He plays only as a social requirement, like the way most men dance. I know he has paid you some attention. You know, you should not dismiss him as a possible suitor.”

C – “He isn’t really serious. Actually, I think none of them are.”

D – “What is this? What are you talking about?”

C – “Oh, nothing. It’s just that there aren’t any proposals yet, are there?”

D – “Catherine, my dear. It is too soon. And Baron James proposal from last year was never retired.”

C – “He’s a fool.”

The Count laughed.

D – “Yes, he is. But with your beauty you will soon do better. This year you are even prettier than last year.”

C – “I have more than beauty.”

The Count looked at his niece with an interested look. She seemed determined and somewhat angry. He glanced at Sara, she hadn’t even blinked. So Sara agreed. He wondered if he had been missing something.

D – “Sara, what do you think your cousin has more valuable than her beauty?”

S – “Her brains.”

Catherine looked with gratitude to her cousin. They didn’t always get along, but they appreciated each other qualities. The Count hadn’t expected such an answer, yet Sara said it in such a decisive manner.

S – “You value how I learned to run the estate and manage the books under your guidance. Yet I could never understand how to do the same with the household, even with Mrs. Smith several attempts. But Catherine arrived with only ten years old and actually taught Mrs. Smith. She’s the silly one who always insisted in keeping it secret to not disappoint Mom. I and Mrs. Smith would have let praise go where it was due.”

D – “You are the one who runs the household?”

C – “Yes, I am. I’ve been doing it since I was thirteen.”

S – “She’s amazing. You should see her program the menu or her ideas to transform an old dress into a new dress.”

D – “Off course. You and your mother had the need to learn to save every penny. So you play the spoiled lady to please your aunt?”

S – “Daddy, mommy just always wanted a certain type of daughter I could never be. Catherine isn’t that type of person as well, except she could adapt. And this way she is also more controlled.”

C – “No, she…”

D – “Catherine, it’s ok. I understand what Sara meant. Your aunt took too long to recover from losing our boys. She would buy things for the house and herself to feel better. You made her feel needed again and, apparently, her habit of buying things is being controlled, isn’t it?”

C – “She will order, I will cancel or trim it down.”

Sara took her cousin’s arm and made a mockery of telling her a secret:

S – “Just don’t choose Samson. He’s kind of spoiled, isn’t he?”

Catherine laughed.

The Count looked at the two. It was like he was seeing them with new eyes.

The night before they were to return to town, Catherine knocked at Sara’s door. The two had very different personalities and often were at odds, but sometimes they were almost best friends.

C – “Hi, can we talk?”

S – “Sure, what is it?”

C – “I want a different point of view.”

S – “On what?”

C – “You know who my suitors are. I want to know what you think of them.”

S – “Oh, Cathy, you know I don’t’ think well of any of them.”

C – “Come on, humor me.”

They sat on a bench at the foot of the bed.

C – “Are you sleepy?”

S – “No.”

C – “Ok, good. Let’s go over all of them, one by one.”

S – “Oh, Lord, help me.”

They both criticized and praised and disagreed and discussed the long list of Catherine’s suitors, the really serious ones and the not so much. Eventually the conversation ended where Catherine had wanted it to go all along: Viscount Gladstone.

S – “You know, the one I thought was really interested in you but has kept his distance these last two days was Viscount Gladstone.”

C – “He’s a joker.”

S – “Oh, yes he is. But if you notice, amidst his jokes about everything, he can be perfectly serious in his meaning. I rather believed he would soon propose. What did you do?”

C – “Me?”

S – “You must have discouraged him. He hasn’t approached you since the first ball here, in fact you two danced and that was the last time you were together. Off course, I thought he would be a very bad choice until daddy told us more about him.”

C – “He thinks the Viscount will succeed. That doesn’t mean he will.”

S – “No, it doesn’t. But I have talked with him and after the initial shock at his light mode; I must grant that he is indeed very smart and, even without the Marquis help, he has and will continue to have success in business.”

C – “So he’s a match to consider in your opinion?”

S – “Oh, yes. But not by every woman.”

C – “Meaning not by me?”

S – “Well, do you want to wait for a man to establish himself or do you want one that is already settled? Just look at the Marquis, an excellent fortune, good looking and agreeable. Yet, he intends to continue travelling to India. Any woman who marries him will have to travel with him.

On the other hand immature Samson’s future wife will only have to choose dresses; I doubt he thinks a woman is capable of more.”

C – “And one that chooses Gladstone?”

S – “He has an estate left to crumble to dust, no town house, no one knows if he can already afford to buy one, even a modest one. He has no reputation except that his father was a gambler that lost everything. His title will never be looked at with respect unless he actually becomes insanely rich and in truth people will still talk of how he begun. How many would be really willing to consider such a proposal even if there was certainty they would be treated like a queen?”

C – “It’s all so stupid. Many of these girls are on their way to marry men who will cheat on them, disrespect them, and maybe even mistreat them. Yet one has to look only at money, titles and connections.”

S – “You know daddy doesn’t force you to choose that way. He never could for love of your mother and you. In fact, he made sure that your estate would provide you enough income that you would never have to depend on a husband.”

C – “Yes. And yet a husband controls the wife’s fortune, even if it was already hers before the marriage. And no one, not even a court, would say that is wrong.”
S – “That is always a risk. But daddy will never let you marry someone like that.”

C – “How can he know for sure? My mother didn’t dream what kind of man she was marrying. You know, she once confessed me that in the first months she even felt they could be happy.”
 



Note: So there's more to Catherine than before. She's pratical. She wants the richer husband she can get because she can see nothing more to get out of a marriage. Gladstone is usually a joker, so much that even Lavenport sometimes forgets to take him seriously.
Therefore, the serious and pratical Catherine will make just the right wife to spur Gladstone on to succeeded, providing the extra ambition and encouragement he needs. An interesting match.