chap 1

Classic het

I was poking around an old pen and found smth I wrote ages ago. I had been reading way too many historic novels and tried to see if they really are that hard to write.
Surprise, it kinda is. I have no patience to try to use the correct type of language. Too lazy to do the research in order ot include details.
Any way... Just as a curiosity, here's the raw unedited start of that adventure. Oh, I never did complete it even if I have plenty more written.

Not fandom. And off course it's het.

I wonder if it's recognizable as smth I wrote.
If any one can find the patience to read this, give me some feedback. Feel free to skin me alive in the comments if you so wish.



1 – Introduction of characters

Sara was fat. I guess that is how everyone described her or thought of her. Not that she wasn’t pretty, she just wasn’t pretty enough for anyone to notice it immediately. As for being fat, not really; she was just above the average of what was fashionably acceptable for the last few years. Still, the fact that she was fuller than the other girls was enough to deem her fat.

In a society where marriage was the future career for every woman, looks didn’t matter much. What suitors and their families looked for in a future wife was money, titles, a family of consequence and connections. All of these Sara had.

Yet no one was preoccupied about finding her a husband. A suitable candidate would sooner or later appear and it was the first year she would appear in society. But for her cousin Catherine, it was the second year she was out.

Catherine was in the guardianship of Sara’s father and had a fortune of her own, plus the inducement of being niece to the Count of Davernood. Also, she was an acknowledged beauty. Catherine Forsythe was of an almost violent ual beauty, turning heads with every step and collecting suitors with every breath or blink of eyelashes. In fact, the only reason she was still single was because Sara’s mother wanted to wait for the arrival of several young men who had been in India throughout Summer the year before.

Sara was not concerned with anything that was going on around her. She knew she would not be the focus for any attention and that all she had to do would be to get bored to death at party after party and teas and whatever. Her intentions were to simply endure all, let her cousin and her mother catch the biggest fish in the lake and just wait for Fall when she would be allowed back to their house in Davernood Estate.

Catherine was being insupportable, she was more anxious than even the previous year. She and the Countess were trying on dress after dress, memorizing once more all the names of single men and respective fortunes, practicing on dances and all the skills they thought necessary to ensure a rich husband.

The Countess didn’t have any hopes of marrying her daughter this year, so she didn’t pay any attention to Sara, even regarding her attire. She simply informed the same seamstress to provide Sara with a suitable wardrobe to the daughter of the Count of Davernood. Sara was fitted, tried some dresses on and had her room filled with more dresses than ever. Fortunately the seamstress took pride in her job and the dresses she prepared for Sara made her look far more presentable than she herself or her mother had taken care in the last years.

Winter is almost over. Along the countryside, noble families start preparing to spend Spring and Summer in London. This year there is a novelty, five young men freshly returned from India. Some were returning to England permanently and others only to find a wife; due to the scarcity of noble families in India, it was not unusual for some young man to come to England in search of a suitable spouse. This created a buzz with mothers interested in knowing the extent of their fortunes and which one was returning for good, for there were few women interested in moving to India, only the more desperate families agreed to such a scheme.

The Countess of Davernood was enthusiastic about the new arrivals and eager to introduce them to Catherine. It was all she could talk about. Not even Catherine’s last year number one suitor could compare to one of the young men who were soon to be encased in the twirl of Summer parties. She had her views set on the only son to the Marquis of Lavenport, one of the richest men in the country. And on her opinion he would not return to India, since it could not be long until he was to take claim of his fortune.

As the different families sent out invitations to each other’s and set dates on which they would be the hosts, nearly all of them sent invitations to the town house of the Marquis of Lavenport. The heir to the Marquis was the most eagerly anticipated to join the Season. Little was known of this young man, he had grew up at his father’s estate in the countryside near London, only to join society for a brief period three years earlier but had soon married the most sought after girl and left for India. His wife had died a year ago and now everyone assumed he had returned to take his title and lands because what little news anyone had of the old Marquis was that he was very sick.

Off the Portuguese coast a ship carries two passengers still unaware of the uproar their return to London is causing. Richard Tempest Lavenport and Thomas Gladstone, friends from University and partners in business, are both returning after a three year absence. Only one has intentions of returning permanently.

G – “Don’t make that frown, it might stick forever.”

L – “You are being stubborn.”

G – “No, I’m just tired of scorching heat. Besides, rain for rain, I’ll take London’s rain, at least that one doesn’t try to drown me.”

L – “Always exaggerating, never serious. When will you grow up?”

G – “Oh, as if you were the picture of maturity.”

This banter was common between the two friends. Their personalities were very different; Richard was always serious and somewhat sad, while Thomas had mischievousness written all over his face.

They were at the captain’s quarters because Thomas was curious about everything relating to ships and navigation.

G – “Look at this. Remember how long our trip to India took? And now three years later, with the steam engine, just look at this.”

He was happily pointing at a calendar marking the day they boarded and their expected arrival.

L – “Yes, I know. Why do you like this so much?”

G – “Freedom.”

L – “Money gives you that.”

G – “Not, it doesn’t. Money can’t save you from long trips when there are no means. Just remember how hard it was transporting our products around before they built the railroad. I even hear from some of our old classmates that the factories are producing rich people with no titles at all and yet, the penniless old families accept them. Freedom to move around society? You can thank that to the steam engine, not money. Rich people always existed but they were never before accepted by the old families. “

L – “That is not unheard of.”

G – “Oh, sure. A younger daughter with little to no dowry, from a desperate family, that would barely acknowledge the connection.”

They came from different backgrounds. Richard was the heir to a vast fortune, to a grand title and plenty of land; Thomas was the only son of a gambler that barely managed to wed his daughters and completely ruined the small property that was left, to the point that Thomas only retained the parcel of land where the now abandoned mansion stood because there was a title entailed to the house: Viscount Gladstone.

Thomas sighed, he rarely talked about his past; it hurt him to think what his life could have been and what it was. Here he was, already twenty one years old and still he wasn’t sure if he would be able to wed according to his wishes. What he knew for sure was that he was tired of India, he was determined to continue to enlarge his fortune but from England.

L – “Are you still worried you won’t be accepted as an eligible man? You shouldn’t, some mothers practically throw their daughters in the direction of any single man.”

G – “In your direction for sure, in mine I don’t think so. I may have a title and now an established fortune but I’m still the son of my father.”




A huge number of invitations already waited for him when he reached his town house in London after an absence of three years. There were several reasons for this interest. Richard Tempest Lavenport was an only son, his father was older every day which meant more lands would revert to young Richard, and he had a reputation of excelling at business.

As for Richard Lavenport himself, he couldn’t care less about all the moms wanting to marry their daughters off. He was a widower, so he had been in this situation before.

Four years earlier, he was only eighteen and his inexperience led him to enter an unfortunate marriage that only fate freed him from.

He was aware of his circumstances and obligations. As the only son and heir to the Lavenport lineage it was his duty to have an heir himself, a son. For that he would have to marry again since his first wife had not given him a son.

Travelling with him from India was his friend Viscount Gladstone. A lesser title but almost equal fortune, he too was greeted with invitations upon his arrival. Since Gladstone didn’t have a town house all those invitations had been forwarded to Lavenport’s house. Both men upon entering Lavenport’s town house were faced with an enormous stack of invitations that made Lavenport swear under his breath:

L – “What is this mess? Dear Lord! I haven’t even set foot on my own house and there are already fortune hunters trying to marry me off.”

G – “Oh, come on. You haven’t read them yet. How can you know that? It’s probably business correspondence.”

L – “Really? Have you noticed the stink of perfume? When was the last time you sent a scented business letter? – Asked Lavenport laughing at his friend’s face when he finally sniffed the perfume that lingered in the hall. It made him sneeze.”

L – “I told you this would happen. Why did I let you convince me into returning to London and in the marriage season of all times?”

G – “Oh, maybe I have more invitations than you. Care to bet?”

L – “I already warned you about betting.” – Said Lavenport with a smirk. He sighed into a nearby chair and asked his butler exactly how many invitations were there.

 L – “Ok, Steve, my dear old friend, let me know. How many moms want my money?”

S – “My Lord. I’d say just about every mother with a single daughter. If the invitation is not there it’s because no one has yet bothered to inform the absent mom of your arrival.” – Laughed Steve Johnson. He was glowing with joy. He had not seen his young master for three years. He thought of Richard as a son, after all he had seen in him grow from the day of his birth.

Lavenport took a look around the old house, to the servants lingering in the background stealing looks at him, and back at Steve. Then he stood up, told Steve and Gladstone to follow him and went to the bar. As soon as they entered, he closed the door giving them privacy and gladly hugged the old butler.

L – “Ah, my friend. It’s good to see you as stiff and proper as always. You always look like you have a piece of wood on your back. Let’s drink. Sit down. You can return to your butler proper persona after you take a few drinks with us and tell me all the news and mischief’s you all have certainly been about. How many times have you made my dad swear you all to hell?”

S – “Sir, what will your friend think of me?”

L – “Oh, can’t think worse with all the stories I already told him. Ok, now start.”


2 – The first party

It was another boring party. There seemed to be no way to avoid having to attend these parties. All the married men had to go to their wives and daughters. Since all parties finished late and there was always another party the following night, all business conversations transited from offices and men’s club’s to the living room’s reserved for smoking and gaming at the places housing the parties. Lavenport had many transactions to secure before returning to India so he could not afford to lose time, therefore he found himself obliged to attend the parties he so despised.

It was like some sort of game of chance walking all the way to where the men were gathered and successfully avoiding being trapped by some of the more intrepid moms. Their goal was to marry their daughters and some were very keen on that duty. Lavenport wished some men showed the same tenacity in business. He sometimes felt like he was surrounded from all sides. And worst on his patience was the lack of pretty women. If he had to look at them and be friendly, they might as well show him pretty girls that he could at least be honest in his praise to appease the moms. The one he really thought beautiful was Catherine Forsythe, but he knew too well the kind of sparkle she had in her eyes, and he was not tempted, in fact, he actually made a point of avoiding her whenever possible.

It was on one of those occasions that he stepped into the first door he saw and found himself in a library. It was lined with bookcases from wall to wall and had lots of sofas and smaller bookcases scattered around the place forming different hiding places. Even a tall man like himself could easily sit in one of the chairs and the room would still look empty. And that was exactly what he set out to do until the women had dispersed from the corridor and he could go into the smoking room. Lavenport slowly walked the improvised corridors searching for some book he could read in the mean time. Finally he reached a small bookcase full of travel books. He grabbed one on India, intending to have fun because those books were often written by people who had never been there. He went to sit on the farthest corner of the library, only to find it already occupied by a young lady reading a similar book.

He looked at her, she seemed somewhat familiar but he could not pinpoint her. She looked up, with an uninterested look and followed the formalities. She got up, bowed down, said “My Lord” and sat back again and continued to read her book and gave him no more notice.

Lavenport was taken aback, this was a first. He was used to some ladies pretending to not notice him in hopes of catching his interest, but this young lady evidently was not pretending, she simply couldn’t care less who he was. He inspected her hand: single. This was different.

Being amused with something different he sat near her and went about reading his book while he stole glances at her. He was still puzzled, she really looked familiar. The young lady seemed no more than sixteen, still affected by what his mom used to call the awkward age, so it was hard to analyze if she was going to be a beauty or just plain. Her figure was fuller than what was fashionable although it was well proportionate, but he doubted she could get the interest of any single man out there unless he was desperate and her fortune was good. Judging by the quality of the dress, Lavenport decided to bet she was part of the higher nobility.

Eventually the silence creped on Sara and she paused, closed the book on her lap and directly looked at the stranger who had purposely sat in her proximity when there were so many empty chairs scattered around the ample library. He was looking straight at her instead of reading.

S – “Sir, is there anything amiss?”

L – “No, not really. I was just wondering. I have the feeling I know you but cannot remember your name.”

S – “The proper way would then be to simply ask me instead of sitting there looking at me for so long. Some might call that rude.”

Her tone was quiet but he could tell she was somewhat angry at his intrusion.

L – “I apologize. I had no intention of being rude or to make you feel awkward. My name is Richard Tempest.” – Something at the last second made him omit his more recognizable name.

S – “How do you do? Please to meet you.”

L – And your name is?

S – “Sara Louis.” – Actually her full name was Sara Marie Louis Davernood, but since day one she was introducing herself that way whenever she was separate from her parents and cousin. The very first party had been more than enough; she always had to endure half smiles when people compared her to her cousin, so she took advantage that her mother had no request for her presence and managed to always find the library. At the end of the night her father knowing where she was simply came to get her.

L – “No, I do not recognize that name. Why are you reading about India?”

S – “Why were you?”

L – “Ah, caught. But I have a good reason. I have been to India.”

S – “I have a better one. I have never been there.”

Lavenport laughed and went to sit nearer to her.

L – “Anything in particular you wish to know about India?”

Realizing he was actually offering to tell her things about a foreign country, a completely out of character behavior in every man she had ever met, except her father, Sara decided not to question her good fortune and proceeded to prod this young man for every minute detail the books could not answer. Lavenport forgot about his intended business meeting in the smoking room. The young lady asked him smart questions and even made him think about his answers. Slowly the conversation diverted to his business ventures. He avoided mentioning the actual scale, least she got possessed by the marriage god. Sara was having enough fun that she talked to him with the same candor she used with her father and even made suggestions that showed she had a brain, something that always made her mother admonish her. Lavenport found himself in the amazing place of listening to her ideas and finding her even smarter than Gladstone. In fact, he thought that if Gladstone had half her smarts, they would be twice richer.

When the door finally opened, Sara was the only one who looked up. Her father saw she was talking with someone and closed the door again.

S – “I’m sorry, Mr. Tempest. My time is come. I must return to my family.”

L – “You are leaving already?”

S – “Yes, very probably. I’d like to thank you very much for our conversation.”

L – “I enjoyed it very much as well. Will you permit me to you?”

S – “Oh. Well. I’d rather not. You see, my mom, she…”

L – “Your mom would ask me my intentions and how much I make a year?” – He frowned with half a smile.

S – “Well,… Yes, she would.” – Admitted Sara with a sigh, lowering her face to hide her sad look.

L – “Do not worry. I will not put us in that situation.”

S – “Thank you for understanding.” – She looked up at him and smiled. He finally could see her face better under the chandelier lights and decided she might not grow to be plain. Still, he highly doubted any husband would appreciate her brain, which was a waste. By the end Lavenport was actually asking for her advice, something that now that he realized that’s what he was doing, completely astonished him. How had she become so business savvy? He was about to ask her but she was already saying goodbye and walking to the door.

L – “Wait, you are still to finish teaching me how to conduct my businesses.”

S – “Don’t worry. You are doing just fine on your own, Mr. Tempest.”

L – “Thank you, Miss Lois. I take that as a great compliment.”

She laughed at his gallantry and left. Lavenport looked at his watch and was surprised. They had been talking for nearly two hours and now the party was probably coming to an end. Still, he was better off than if he had talked to Mr. Thomson and Lord Emeral, because now, thanks to Miss Lois, he knew he did not need them at all.

The Count Davernood waited for his daughter and didn’t hide his curiosity.

D – “Well…What was that all about?”

S – “Nothing much, dad. It was just some lost man who wandered into the library and Lord, did the poor guy need business advice. He was considering paying for the services of Mr. Thomson and Lord Emeral, can you imagine? They are always so expensive.”

D – “Oh, and what did you advise him?”

S – “I explained exactly how to get his merchandise to England without paying their exorbitant fees.”  – She proudly answered.

D – “I never saw you trying to help anyone in businesses before.”

S – “That’s because no one would ever ask me and if I tried they would never listen. He actually asked and listened. It was kind of like talking with you about the Estate.”

D – “A smart man, then.”

S – “Well, it was certainly a better way to spend the evening. Do you know I was reading a book about India that had almost everything wrong?”

D – “I take it he set you straight, did he? After all, he just arrived from India.”

S – “You know Mr. Tempest?”

D – “Tempest?”

S – “Yes, Mr. Richard Tempest.”

D – “Tell me, Sara. Did you introduce yourself like Sara Lois instead of Sara Davernood?”

S – “Oh, dad. Not you too.”

D – “All right. Never mind. Yes, I do recognize the young man. And I must say he is intelligent enough to follow your advice.”

S – “Good.” – She smiled at her father.

This was the end of their conversation for they had reached the Countess and Catherine. Both of them were eager to tell all about the suitors and complain they had not talked with the Marquis of Lavenport. Count Davernood actually chuckled to their astonishment.

Ds – “That is not funny, Peter. He is the best we could hope for our Catherine. But the man seems to run away into the smoking room as soon as he sets foot at any party. We were standing near the entrance and still we were not able to even see him.”

D – “Elaine, how many times must I tell you? He is a widower; he has seen all this before. Four years ago he was also the one every mom was after. And Catherine, do you really want to go live in India?”

C – “But uncle, he has the biggest fortune. Why should I settle for less? And what about India? Everyone talks how the houses are bigger there, that there is no rain and that servants are like ants.”

D – “You can’t force the man to choose you. What if he doesn’t want a wife?”

Ds – “Not possible. He has no son. The old Marquis would disinherit him if he doesn’t give him a grandson. And, since he has to marry, why not with the most beautiful girl?”

The Count leaned back on the coach and remained silent. He had his own opinion whether Lord Lavenport wanted to marry or not, and it was a decisive no. From the rumors Davernood heard, Lavenport’s first choice in wife must have left him not wanting to try it again. Catherine was beautiful and with an appropriate fortune but that was all that she had to recommend her, and those had been the criteria the Marquis had already tried.

When he had opened the door and saw Sara talking with Lord Lavenport himself, an idea crept into his head. Obviously Catherine’s beauty wasn’t going to tempt the young man, but perhaps Sara’s brains could do the trick. For what he remembered of Richard Lavenport, he was just the type of man that would be able to appreciate Sara. It amused him that both had talked with each other not knowing who they were. That might turn out to be a good thing if there was some way for it to happen a few more times. Sara was sick of hearing about this Marquis; Lavenport was making a point of avoiding his wife and Catherine; if they had known, there was no way they would ever have talked.

Davernood looked at Sara. She was not listening to the other two. But unlike other evenings she had a smile on her face. He wondered if Richard Tempest had a smile about him as well.

Entering the smoking room, Lavenport went straight to his friend Gladstone, who was sitting with Mr. Thomson and Lord Emeral. They were happily enjoying some cigarettes and whisky, having obviously just finished a game of cards. Gladstone looked at his friend and frowned:

G – “What are you grinning about? You just spent the last two hours with young temptresses trying to wow you, which is your idea of torture.”

L – “Grinning? No, I am not.”

T – “Oh, yes you are, young Lavenport. Which pretty lady should we compliment?”

L – “Do be serious, Thomson. I know I will have to produce a son. But damn if I will let those fortune hunters catch me.”

E – “They are fortune hunters, but so are we when we are looking for a wife. Lord knows I would not have married my wife if not for her dear departed father’s lands and title. Now I have done my duty, I have two sons and no daughter. One can have my side of the fortune and the other his mother’s and I do not have to worry about dowries.”

T – “You very lucky indeed. I have to marry off three daughters. I will become a poor man. Lavenport, are you sure I can’t interest you in any of them? They keep silent, praise to them.”

L – “I can choose for myself. And Thomson, the only reason they keep silent is for lack of anything to say.”

T – “Ah, ah. True. But when does ever what a woman say worth listening to?”

To this remark all the men laughed except Lavenport who just grinned again, remembering his conversation with Sara. Her idea on how to avoid the services of these two old fools was excellent. He would start studying it even if Gladstone didn’t like the idea.